• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

sixghost

Yeah, well in general all the scripted videos are always the worst one. The guys are great when they do it on the fly but all the scripted and forced jokes are just akward and bad.

That's the reason I stopped watching Mythbusters. I always enjoyed how off the cuff Tested's stuff seemed. I hope this isn't the new direction their videos are going.

edit*
Just watch that first bit, then the part at the end where they are explaining the results. It's like night and day how much better the last 3 minutes of that video are.

Megasoum

Banned
That's the reason I stopped watching Mythbusters. I always enjoyed how off the cuff Tested's stuff seemed. I hope this isn't the new direction their videos are going.

Yeah same. Today's video felt like a poor man's version of Mythbusters. Also the way they calculated the whip's speed made no sense.

sixghost

Yeah same. Today's video felt like a poor man's version of Mythbusters. Also the way they calculated the whip's speed made no sense.

How so? It seemed like it would have been better to create some sort of radial ruler(is that a thing?) or grid to measure the distance the tip traveled, since the whip didn't seem like it moved along the ruler too cleanly. The concept seems sound though.

Just watch that first bit, then the part at the end where they are explaining the results. It's like night and day how much better the last 3 minutes of that video are.

we did shoot it a few months later. also, no, not how videos are going to be going forward. just having a little fun. not going to publish the outtakes so we can keep our jobs.

Zaph

Wow, just watched the video, I definitely see what you guys mean.

I can imagine someone from Discovery/Beyond Television watching Tested closely waiting for Will or Norm to accidentally use the words 'myth' and 'bust' in the same sentence lol.

I can't believe they didn't actually (definitively) answer the Bullwhip question. Isn't there a physics professor at the local university that could pop on and answer the question. I don't want to look up the answer myself :(

bonesquad

Ahhh! I agree, I need to know the answer without putting forth any effort on my part. Is the whip really breaking the sound barrier? That seems preposterous, but they hint to it being fact even though their substandard bullwhip cracking skills couldn't prove otherwise.

Zaph

Another Fenlon Original© - Bringing Back the Voxel: StarForge, Cube World and the Return of a Graphical Style
The creators of two independent games talk about the reemergence of voxels, the visual style inspired by Minecraft and the nitty gritty details of voxel technology.

Voxels are back in vogue. Actually, for the first time ever, volumetric pixels represent one of gaming's most popular visual styles. Since 2009, Minecraft has inspired countless designers to give the 8-bit pixel art look a 3D makeover, spawning small indie games like Voxatron and full retail releases like 3D Dot Game Heroes. Voxels aren't a new technology--in fact, game developers have been using voxels in place of polygons since the 1990s, in games like Comanche and Outcast. But then Minecraft arrived. While voxels were once a clever solution for programmers struggling with the limitations of early 3D graphics processing, they've become a popular, instantly recognizable graphical style that millions of people can point to and say "Hey, that looks like Minecraft!"
Delta Force 2 and Outcast were the shit. #Voxel2012

willsmith

Ahhh! I agree, I need to know the answer without putting forth any effort on my part. Is the whip really breaking the sound barrier? That seems preposterous, but they hint to it being fact even though their substandard bullwhip cracking skills couldn't prove otherwise.

The sound the whip makes when it cracks indicates that we broke the speed of sound with some part of it. However, as I said in the video, we weren't able to capture the exact moment that it happened with the equipment we used.

KHarvey16

On the recasting discussion, specifically the story about the guy requiring a "contract" to not take pictures: if you want to buy an original prop and subsidize the cost or even make money at the end of the day by selling castings, fine. But expecting to exploit the mystery and popularity for financial gain while obligating your customers to maintain that mystery for your benefit is ridiculous. If it's important to you that it remains a secret for altruistic or artistic reasons, buy it and never show anyone. If you want to profit from it no one else has any responsibility to ensure the sustainability of that profit stream.

big_z

I agree I've always hated the scripted stuff on mythbusters and now tested is doing it. The whole "look we're like mythbusters" theme they've been moving towards is a huge turn off and Wills ever growing desire to become or assimilate with Adam is getting rediculous as well.

Chuck

Still without luck
cast time.

iNLX3J60EV0n7.png

EPISODE 149 - MAX HEADROOM - 11/29/2012

On this week's show, Will makes some adjustments, Gary goes virtual, and Norm steals a drink. All that, plus the latest on Black Friday sales, the morality of autonomous cars, the tough-to-buy Nexus 4, tea bagging, and a tepid edition of fake outtakes.

Remember to rate it on itunes and comment on the podcast page.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I guess the guys forgot about the PSP "lite" that was exclusive to Europe and also didn't have Wifi. I guess a portable that can't go online is not as weird as a home console that can't go online.

eznark

Banned
Why would Apple pay for product placement when cultists like Whitta will write them right into the script?

So many garbage rules. Jesus.

Megasoum

Banned
Nintendo created the Wii Mini to break into that elusive, yet lucrative Yukon Territories market.

Yeah exactly lol...

And btw Will, Canada has a higher broadband penetration rate than the States...

Oh and Netflix Canada is fine now. We still don't have as much stuff as the US version but we have like 10x more content than we had 2 years ago. It's totally worth the 8$ a month.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Norm's defense of Apple maps was kind of strange to me. Is it actually decent in the bay area?

I've had nothing but trouble with the damn thing and I live in Seattle. My car has randomly started flying on the map on multiple occasions, and the voice guide will sometimes just stay silent seemingly without reason. That's not to mention the dearth of information on the map. It's just not populated with locations very well at all.

The app is complete mess. I just boot up the web app version of Google maps and use the list of directions like used to do. Only now, I can't ask Siri "how do I get home?" to expedite this process.

eznark

Banned
Norm's defense of Apple maps was kind of strange to me. Is it actually decent in the bay area?

I've had nothing but trouble with the damn thing and I live in Seattle. My car has randomly started flying on the map on multiple occasions, and the voice guide will sometimes just stay silent seemingly without reason. That's not to mention the dearth of information on the map. It's just not populated with locations very well at all.

The app is complete mess. I just boot up the web app version of Google maps and use the list of directions like used to do. Only now, I can't ask Siri "how do I get home?" to expedite this process.

I have a ton of issues (in a rural area) to the point where my wife is moving to android and I am seriously considering it. It's not so much the maps themselves as it is how terrible they are for location stuff in-app. Just untenable for us.

Azar

I don't use maps often, but I've found the turn-by-turn just fine when I type in an address. It's pretty worthless for searching for locations of restaurants/stores etc.

Vyer

I've no doubt it's got problems, but no for my usage where I am in Texas I haven't had any real issues.

That may be different if I still traveled as much for work as I used to, but I can't say for sure.

Fox Mulder

I found this amazing in the Wii Video...

I have a funny feeling the Mii Maker got confused with the Will headshot behind Norm.

yeah, it's generally worked better than that for anyone that has tried it on mine. The bearded norm was the last choice and they had a portrait behind him.

Top Bottom