• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Aaron

Inspired by Tested, my Christmas present to myself was Modernist Cuisine at Home. Holy crap is this book huge. It's a good thing it comes with a second, smaller book with just the recipes since I don't think the illustrated copy will even fit in my kitchen.

Think I might need to stop listening to this cast. Norm's continuous flaunting of elitism is really annoying. For the past few weeks it's been especially bad. I've been able to ignore it up until this point, but this last episode was infuriating to listen to. The going out of his way to let everyone know that he hasn't heard a pop song, and the insistence/belittling comments when Will does something different than he does is not fun to listen to. Gary does manage to balance things out, but when he's not there, and elitist Norm can go out of his way to let the world know that he's not putting a Christmas tree in his house (!!!), I guess I might have to skip from here on out. It didn't used to be this bad. I'll continue to check the site, since the videos don't feature it as prominently.

It's just a bummer.

big_z

Only way I heard gangam was by looking it up once because of the Buccaneers parody. Maybe Norm is like me and only watches sports!

I've heard small snippets of both but had to go out of my way to watch call me maybe. I only did that because news said her cd sold like 3000 copies despite the songs apparent massive online popularity. Youtube bots?

I've heard canton style but still havent watched gangam. If norm is like me and only has basic cable and doesnt listen to top 40 music when driving it's not hard to imagine him not hearing those songs.

Kurdel

Banned
Elitist Norm is the best! I think the whole casts balances out, plus the meanigless social conundrums he faces are always entertaining (timing your poops in public for example).

Plus I am totally on team anti-tree.

Blastoise

Banned
Yeah Norm is getting really annoying. Especially when he say 'Nope, Nope, Nope' all the time. Elitism is probably a better word for it.

Poyunch

I love the "nope nope nope".

The thing about Gary is he's quick to call people out on their shit and in turn gets called out on his shit just as fast. It all balances out well and it becomes hilarious.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Think I might need to stop listening to this cast. Norm's continuous flaunting of elitism is really annoying. For the past few weeks it's been especially bad. I've been able to ignore it up until this point, but this last episode was infuriating to listen to. The going out of his way to let everyone know that he hasn't heard a pop song, and the insistence/belittling comments when Will does something different than he does is not fun to listen to. Gary does manage to balance things out, but when he's not there, and elitist Norm can go out of his way to let the world know that he's not putting a Christmas tree in his house (!!!), I guess I might have to skip from here on out. It didn't used to be this bad. I'll continue to check the site, since the videos don't feature it as prominently.

It's just a bummer.

I think it's funny how out of touch the hosts can be sometimes. Will at least recognizes it and has said on more than one occasion that SF is unlike the rest of the country. But Norm lives in a reality where a Youtube DJ sounds like a viable business.

Norm will eventually, like everyone else does, grow out of purposely avoiding pop culture in an effort to remain cool. Given how easily accessible it all is why not take 3 minutes to look up a song / video on youtube? More to the point, how can a youtube DJ never use call me maybe or gangnam style?

If I was a youtube dj it would be Corgi Maybe on repeat all night!

Blastoise

Banned
I bet he's playing a 'character'. I mean he will lick any gadget presented to him, but pulling out your phone while in the toilet is blasphemy?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It's just a bummer.

Wait, what? I'm one week behind and yesterday I listened to the week before's episode and Norm clearly says he bought a Christmas Tree for the house.

He decided not to "install" it? Weird. I'll have to check it out later.

It's just a bummer.

Agreed. I've never been a fan of Norm. I would prefer the podcast consist of Gary, Will, and Brad. I have always found Norm annoying for a myriad of reasons. The least of which is that he simply talks way too fast and slurs his words too much to be on a podcast. Dude also needs some taller socks or jeans meant for a man or something for the videos where they sit on the couch.

In general, the podcast focuses way too much on what's new in iOS/Android land and Norm's camera fetish/elitism i.e. saying cell phone pictures aren't real pictures even though he has thousands of them.

The Adam Savage podcasts have become the best thing because the topics aren't so predictable. They really need to branch out into more interesting areas. It's starting to come across as a pretty amateur production. I'm getting more from Stuff You Should Know that I would expect from tested.

I just finally got done with the octobercast archives. The quality was real up and down on some of those guests, but it was all worth it for the good parts: Jeff Gerstmann, Adam Savage (who was surprisingly hilarious), and Jeff Green. There were some other good parts too that i can't remember right now.

Gary looked like he was ready to die towards the end!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard call me maybe, wow norm you are soooooo cool

Seriously, was that some kind of planned skit to make fun of "hipsters" or something? It was just odd how everyone was jumping over each other to comment on how they've never heard Call Me Maybe, but they knew everything about all of the parodies.

Really? How are you going to enjoy the parodies without seeing the original at least once?

Azar

I've heard small snippets of both but had to go out of my way to watch call me maybe. I only did that because news said her cd sold like 3000 copies despite the songs apparent massive online popularity. Youtube bots?

I've heard canton style but still havent watched gangam. If norm is like me and only has basic cable and doesnt listen to top 40 music when driving it's not hard to imagine him not hearing those songs.
Sounds to me like you're an elitist

Zaph

It's better, but IMO still feels like it was designed by coders, not a designer (like it's unfinished, or a 'mock' website).

Megasoum

Banned
Dat rescalable window.

Or whatever its called :eek:, thats hot.

That's a feature I never use because all my windows are always maximized in windows but it's always fun to test.

BTW, I suggest you click on the first icon in the row on the top right of the page.

Eh...

g1L4O.png

On my Chrome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great redesign, in my opinion. I'll actually start visiting the site again now!

It looks really good as a column when snapped to one side of the screen.

jediyoshi

bravo tested crew, nice and clean. feels like the line height is a little smaller than i'm used to (seems pretty extreme in the single column layout anyhoo), not a huge complaint though.

bonesquad

Looks fine for me in Chrome too. Definitely a nice improvement. It no longer has the sterile feel of the old version.

I much prefer the the characterture version of Jamie and Adam for my header:)

Top Bottom