• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

eznark

Banned
I'm not sure I want to hear more discussion on Google/Android from them anyways. Some of the things they say about Android are outdated or just incorrect. And no offense to Gary but he is frequently apologetic about Apple Maps with the "it's not that bad" but calls out Google Maps at the first sign of trouble.

It'd probably be better for them and the fans if they just stuck with only talking about big Google news.

Norm was the big defender of Apple maps last time. Unforgivable.

eznark

Banned
It blows my mind that people are so hipster that they shit on What to Expect (garbage but useful too) and Appetite for Destruction. That's a sad existence.

If you have the option of reading What to Expect or listening to some kook who tells you to lick your baby, pick the book!

Being ashamed of early GnR is "seek help" levels of insecurity.

eznark

Banned
Visiting my folks this week. My mom got me the Modernist Cuisine at Home set. Amazing.

Will, it had an activation code on the back that you need to scratch off, that's probably why they don't have them available to flip through in the store.

Last year's CES couch was in the Tested Best 2012 Pictures article:

53-43376-fav2012_005-1356990007.jpg

Such fun memories. Are Norm and Joey going to CES? I know Will is off makin babies, but I can't remember if the others were planning to go.

panda21

Another cool podcast, revisiting the predictions was fun, just
A shame Gary wasn't there.

Can't wait for CES coverage, hopefully there will be some kind of casting. Will Gary be around?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Another cool podcast, revisiting the predictions was fun, just
A shame Gary wasn't there.

Can't wait for CES coverage, hopefully there will be some kind of casting. Will Gary be around?

No Gary, no Will, different hotel, we're not sure on live broadcasts from the Hotel (but there will be daily wrap ups uploaded if they can't stream), lower video output (only Joey as video editor this time).

Very different CES coverage from what i'm used to. It's a shame.

On the other hand, I really don't care about the news at CES, I'm always more interested in the Tested coverage aspect of it - conversation with guests and discussions between them.

Oh well.

panda21

just finished the podcast and i'm pretty sure they got mixed up between ubuntu for android and ubuntu phone and described them as one entity.

No Gary, no Will, different hotel, we're not sure on live broadcasts from the Hotel (but there will be daily wrap ups uploaded if they can't stream), lower video output (only Joey as video editor this time).

Very different CES coverage from what i'm used to. It's a shame.

On the other hand, I really don't care about the news at CES, I'm always more interested in the Tested coverage aspect of it - conversation with guests and discussions between them.

Oh well.

oh thats annoying :( from what i remember the podcasts last year were awesome. maybe Gary and Will will skype in or something.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
[url]https://twitter.com/nchan/status/288136692488089600[/url] said:
Norm @nchan
you guys want to help test our CES livestream in a little bit? stay tuned for a link
1:15 AM - 7 Jan 13

Look alive people!

eznark

Banned
I got a couple Tested-inspired kitchen things for Christmas. Modernist Cuisine at Home, a subscription to Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country and the Cook's Illustrated cook book.

I can't recommend these enough. Especially the astoundingly great iPad apps for the magazines and the supremely well done Modernist at home. My concerns with the latter was being able to create the dishes at home but so far that hasn't been an issue and I don't have anything terribly fancy kitchen-wise. I do find the recipes require more stuff, which requires more room, than others I've used. I have a big kitchen though so it's not an issue.

Either way, thanks again guys. Funny that the most tangible benefits of following Will and Norm from MaxPC to their new site has been coffee and cooking.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I got a couple Tested-inspired kitchen things for Christmas. Modernist Cuisine at Home, a subscription to Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country and the Cook's Illustrated cook book.

I can't recommend these enough. Especially the astoundingly great iPad apps for the magazines and the supremely well done Modernist at home. My concerns with the latter was being able to create the dishes at home but so far that hasn't been an issue and I don't have anything terribly fancy kitchen-wise. I do find the recipes require more stuff, which requires more room, than others I've used. I have a big kitchen though so it's not an issue.

Either way, thanks again guys. Funny that the most tangible benefits of following Will and Norm from MaxPC to their new site has been coffee and cooking.

And that's a good thing: After the inevitable society collapse, you'll be able to cook and stay alive, while all this computer bullshit I know won't be used for anything, as I can only cobble things together. I can't solder or create new circuit paths, so I'll be starving with burnt out circuits in my grip.

I think they touched on the subject a couple times on the PodCast, but this is something I constantly think about. While I do have some skills, they're mostly useless in a technology-free world.

the live stream is for you guys. we were just testing it last night. they'll all be posted on the site the morning after.

the relatively low resolution is because youtube won't let us stream live at higher than 480p.

tonight's guests: arstechnica's florence ion and casey johnston. eta start time: 9:30pm Pacific.

JABEE

the live stream is for you guys. we were just testing it last night. they'll all be posted on the site the morning after.

the relatively low resolution is because youtube won't let us stream live at higher than 480p.

tonight's guests: arstechnica's florence ion and casey johnston. eta start time: 9:30pm Pacific.

Yeah, I was watching it last night and was wondering why there were so few people watching. Will watch tonight.

Aaron

If you want to break into sous vide, I can recommend Aqua Chef. They sell it on amazon for about half the price of the more 'official' sous vide setups. I've had one for a few weeks now and it works great. Steak, salmon, chicken... just set the temp and timer, and then sear it in a pan after for that finishing touch. I sous vided a steak, gave it a spice rub down, and then seared in oil for a nice char. Tasted like it had just come off the world's most perfect grill.

I'm still struggling to find a decent pressure cooker though. All the ones I've tried so far have been pretty shoddy.

panda21

will there be audio only versions of the recaps? the first one didn't really have anything that needed eyes for and i'd like to listen to them as podcasts

eznark

Banned
Yeah, without audio there is no chance I'll be able to check the CES stuff out. The short videos I can do, but the hour long ones? Nah, man, nah!

Zaph

There are like a million phone apps that let you background audio YouTube videos (some even offline cache them too).

Last year's CES couch was in the Tested Best 2012 Pictures article:

53-43376-fav2012_005-1356990007.jpg

Such fun memories. Are Norm and Joey going to CES? I know Will is off makin babies, but I can't remember if the others were planning to go.

In hindsight I wonder if getting the super expensive hotel room last year was them just burning the last of Whiskey Media's disposable money.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
In hindsight I wonder if getting the super expensive hotel room last year was them just burning the last of Whiskey Media's disposable money.

They have a bigger budget for travel with BermanBraun, so that doesn't make that much sense.

Also, it was the same Hotel Room as 2011's coverage.

eznark

Banned
There are like a million phone apps that let you background audio YouTube videos (some even offline cache them too).

Any recommendations? Specifically ones that cache as I usually listen to these things while driving in the backwoods.

Zaph

Any recommendations? Specifically ones that cache as I usually listen to these things while driving in the backwoods.

iOS: McTube is amazing and is probably my second most used non-productivity app next to Spotify. IIRC the free version has a cache limit, so just drop $2 for the Pro version. Word of advice, if you buy it be very careful when updating - a similar app called Jasmine was forced by Youtube to remove some of the best features or have their API key revoked. So always read the update notes in case a similar thing happens.

Android: PVSTAR+. Not as slick as McTube, but gets the job done. Make sure to up the cache limit in the settings to maximum (4GB).

Both apps let you just login in with your Google account to see your subs/favourites etc.

Fox Mulder

maybe if they had known if was going down, but I recall them saying they wouldn't have done the Bricked thing the way they did if they knew the site was going to be sold. That was right before it happened too.

LiK

Listening to New Years ep and Will and Norm only show brings me back. Who says we need a 3rd chair to make it entertaining? Great discussions.

Top Bottom