• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really wish Ana would show up as a guest on the Tested couch. She's running around CES on her new job. She could just talk about her new job, plug the site she's working at and tell her opinions on the event overall (like most of yesterday's episode was).

I don't think it's going to happen though.. :(

No_Style

Are there going to be any interviews or hands-on product videos coming out of CES? That's what I'm looking forward to the most. No offense to the others, but without Will, my interest in their long form CES recap videos is non-existent thus far.

I'm guessing it's tough to capture everything with only Joey?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I really do wonder how they're doing, it's rare for a story on the site to get more than 5 comments...

Their videos seem to get a fair amount of views on YouTube.

I do think the site is perhaps not focused enough. It can be a bit all over the place sometimes which doesn't help in trying to find an audience.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really do wonder how they're doing, it's rare for a story on the site to get more than 5 comments...

Their podcast was ranked the second most popular technology podcast over the holidays on iTunes.

One of Adam's videos was on the front page of youtube.

Their content is getting out there, I just think the site is not that popular (because people use youtube as their content provider, not the actual websites).

That's why there's goddamn videos of step by steps to solve problems, as opposed to a 2 paragraph text that would be much simpler and easier for me to read.

This years CES coverage sucks.

Ill give Norm props for thinking he could carry CES by himself but let this be a lesson for him. If Will or Garry cant make it, just don't bother.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This years CES coverage sucks.

Ill give Norm props for thinking he could carry CES by himself but let this be a lesson for him. If Will or Garry cant make it, just don't bother.

If I understood it right, they're severely low profile this year. While other years they had like 8 people hands on, they only have 4 now: Norm, Wes, Matt and Joey (the ONLY video producer - as in, he's the one walking around the floor all day carrying a camera, the one producing the online Streams and the only cutting up video to upload to the site).

With that in mind, they can't provide a big Video Coverage on the site like the last two years, with video going up the day they recorded it. We had some sneak peeks like the Oculus Rift and the other GoogleVision-esque thing. I'm confident the crazy stuff will show up after CES ended.

Besides, CES is always hella boring. I don't think Will being there would have made much difference coverage wise.

Edit: I will grant you that yes, the live videos/recaps are not as funny as they used to be. But again, they're understaffed.

Well I dont really care that they dont have as many videos as last year.

The recap videos are just bleh. No interesting guests or discussions. Also Norm is the bottom of the tested give a fuck ladder.

Now I just remembered how great last years recap videos were and I am extra bummed.

I guess "come talk to Norm from tested" wasnt enough to get Mark Rein back

Zaph

Wow, you guys are brutal.

Yeah, 2011/2012's late night coverage was sorely missed, but I thought this year's stuff was alright. Not great, but alright.

But I'm still not sure why they even bothered with CES - it just seems so contrary to the direction and 'values' of new Tested. Did they feel their long-time readers expected it?

Azar

Besides, CES is always hella boring. I don't think Will being there would have made much difference coverage wise.
Srsly. It's so bad.

The nightly video streams are intentionally low-key discussions compared to last year. Understandable if you're not that into them, though I think Norm and Nathan especially talked about some good stuff last night.

As for video--Joey has shot a ton. He just doesn't have time to edit much while we're here. A whole lot of good stuff will show up next week.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Srsly. It's so bad.

it sounds like the most boring shit ever, seriously.

"Here's the biggest OLED TV in the world, it's a whole one inch bigger than the one the other company showed last year. Sorry, it's not coming to stores in the next 15 years"

"This new TV has five times the 3D, nobody cares but fuck it, we don't know, we need to make these more expensive!"

"Now, here's a fridge that can tweet and you can run one note in it, because you know, who the fuck uses pen and paper anymore? It also costs 3 times the price of a regular fridge, but fuck it! Imagine a world!"

It really is the most boring shit ever. I really like when you guys go to the "Kentia Hall" version of CES, where the massage chairs, massage robots, non-Google glasses, liquid repellent and crazy shit lives. That's when I have the most fun with the videos. Hopefully, that's all coming once Joey gets time to edit all of that.

Also, I really want to know who is going to cover that Manicure machine. TESTED EXCLUSIVE!

Heel

I really like when you guys go to the "Kentia Hall" version of CES, where the massage chairs, massage robots, non-Google glasses, liquid repellent and crazy shit lives. That's when I have the most fun with the videos. Hopefully, that's all coming once Joey gets time to edit all of that.

Haha, same here.

Azar

it sounds like the most boring shit ever, seriously.

"Here's the biggest OLED TV in the world, it's a whole one inch bigger than the one the other company showed last year. Sorry, it's not coming to stores in the next 15 years"
Samsung's is 85", which I'm sure is just so it can be one inch bigger than Sony's. Or maybe it's the other way around. Who gives a shit?

kingocfs

From what I saw of the recaps, I thought Norm did a good job holding down the fort, even if CES does kind of suck. Maybe just one recap show next year, though? Seems like an hour a night is spreading it too thin.

panda21

wow cess is super boring this year. I think maybe the only reason it was entertaining last year was because it basically just meant lots of WNG podcasts. Norm is doing a good job trying to talk about stuff but what they have to work with is soooo boring.

Zaph

Just when I was thinking CES is a complete waste of time, this video comes along. When those 'keys' appeared, I had a proper "holy shit we live in the future" moment.

Ozone

Jesus, Will is in super rant mode on the podcast that is so potent it puts me to shame. I kinda wish someone like Brad was there to calm him down and bounce things off with him.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Will stop shit talking CBS they aren't gonna let you back into the game spot building. The lantern run isn't complete yet!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Will stop shit talking CBS they aren't gonna let you back into the game spot building. The lantern run isn't complete yet!

Sad thing, this is the kind of shit that got Jeff "fired" in the first place.

"You can't say bad things about our ad providers because they give us money!"
"You can't say good things about this company because they do things that go against the people that give us money!"

Sad indeed.

Jintor

Would've thought the Trifecta is necessary but with these kinds of reactions I think I might have to listen to the rantcast

Ominym

Banned
Jesus some of you guys are insanely hard on Norm. They're extremely understaffed down there, give them a break. I understand the videos haven't been top notch, but like others have stated, even looking at other websites has proven that CES is really devoid of good products this year.

Myomoto

Jesus some of you guys are insanely hard on Norm. They're extremely understaffed down there, give them a break. I understand the videos haven't been top notch, but like others have stated, even looking at other websites has proven that CES is really devoid of good products this year.

I'm not blaming any of the Tested folks, CES is just a steaming pile of shit.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any idea when the new Ivy Bridge chips will start being put into laptops? I'm in the market for a new computer but figure it's worth the wait if these chips are going to make Ultrabooks more appealing.

yonder

The Will rant was pretty good! Hoping for a classic Will, Norm, Gary podcast one of these weeks, though, but I guess that might be tough with the baby coming up.

f0rk

A scripted 20 minutes rant every week would be cool.

I didn't really agree with how the Steambox section was introduced, 'speaking of people with good ideas', considering all the comments were basically about how half baked the product is with a lot of questions because of how awfully they have handled the reveal. Whatever the internet says, Valve aren't superhuman, they do stupid things sometimes too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
A scripted 20 minutes rant every week would be cool.

I didn't really agree with how the Steambox section was introduced, 'speaking of people with good ideas', considering all the comments were basically about how half baked the product is with a lot of questions because of how awfully they have handled the reveal. Whatever the internet says, Valve aren't superhuman, they do stupid things sometimes too.

If he's just reading a text, i'd rather have it as a editorial-kinda thing.

I don't like Will's text reading voice.

eznark

Banned
Will stealing Gordon's schtick is great. Especially when he writes "be nice" in the podcast description after irrational anger.

Top Bottom