• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I think I've heard every mistake made regarding the THQ sale on every gaming/nerd podcast that I listened to this week or so.

Will saying Ubisoft bought Volition, for one (Gary corrected him).
Chris Kohler saying that Actvision bought the Turtlerock game.
Someone on 8-4 thinking that Koch is related to the Koch brothers.

Probably some others that I'm forgetting. Not a complaint, since I suppose everyone just does these shows off memory, but it was just funny to basically see the podcast version of broken telephone.

Macca

Glad to see Gary back on the podcast!

Great episode, just made me think we really need a Vinny - Gary - Will dadcast. Would be amazing. The Octoberkast segment with them was great.

Curufinwe

You know, I think I've heard every mistake made regarding the THQ sale on every gaming/nerd podcast that I listened to this week or so.

Probably some others that I'm forgetting. Not a complaint, since I suppose everyone just does these shows off memory, but it was just funny to basically see the podcast version of broken telephone.

That was the worst/funniest.

eznark

Banned

This was my favorite. He was so sure!

gokieks

Listening to this week's podcast, and did I just hear Norm say you can't buy Office 2013? Between that and not knowing the terms of the Office 365 Home Premium subscription (5 devices, which means it's actually a pretty good deal for a full family) before railing against it... I mean, I can accept some mistakes when it comes to gaming stuff, since that's not really the main focus of their jobs or the site, but Jesus, not knowing that there's an actual boxed version of Office 2013 is just downright embarrassing. You guys have laptops sitting in front of you when doing the podcast, don't you? Really should consider doing some real-time fact checking when it comes to this stuff, especially when it's obvious that the person who's bringing it up is not at all sure on all the facts, as Norm so obviously was in this case - he said "I think" with regards to just about everything.

Norm asked why people use office instead of google docs? Because it's better. I tried opening a work excel file in google docs. God it was terrible. Last time I tired open office it wasn't any better. I mean if you want to do your child's third grade math homework it's fine I guess. But anyone doing something above high school math would prefer excel.

I also prefer MS Word to google's option but I think that’s just because I'm used to word's layout.

Why would someone use the iPad mini over the $160 Kindle Fire? Sometimes the expensive option is worth it

gokieks

The people who say Google Docs can replace Office are like the ones who say Gimp can replace Photoshop.

Basically every time I ever use Google Docs spreadsheet for anything more than a glorified table (i.e. do any sort of calculation, sorting, or editing existing data), I find a new reason to hate using it and instead go back to Excel. GDoc documents are a little better, and it's fine if you just want a text file for some notes that accessible anywhere, but even it doesn't come anywhere close to Word if you have any real formatting needs.

Azar

Norm asked why people use office instead of google docs? Because it's better. I tried opening a work excel file in google docs. God it was terrible. Last time I tired open office it wasn't any better. I mean if you want to do your child's third grade math homework it's fine I guess. But anyone doing something above high school math would prefer excel.

I also prefer MS Word to google's option but I think that’s just because I'm used to word's layout.

Why would someone use the iPad mini over the $160 Kindle Fire? Sometimes the expensive option is worth it
I think Google Docs hits the "good enough" threshold that the majority of Office users need. Most people don't do anything fancy in Word, and just having a blank slate you can do bolds and italics and font choices on does the job. Google spreadsheet gives you the ability to make tables and organize information just fine. But when it comes to calculations, Excel is definitely a must.

The simplicity of the online storage and document sharing is also a huge plus in Google's favor.

f0rk

Normally Will is there to remind them that most office work is more than writing articles.
Also I imagine version control could turn into a write mess with more than 3 people wanting to look at something if it was all a shared Google spreadsheet

suaveric

It was goo to hear Will and Gary back this week. One other inaccuracy- Will had the TSA body scanning machines backwards. The big blue boxes are the ones that do x-ray and are going away. The teleportor looking ones are the ones that get to stay.

This goes well beyond Tested, but I always wonder when I hear or read things on websites or podcasts that I know are not accurate: How much of the other stuff that is covered by that site, that I don't happen to know much about, is also wrong? You always assume people know what they're talking about, but that can't always be the case. Especially in this case when a site like Tested covers such a wide array of stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was goo to hear Will and Gary back this week. One other inaccuracy- Will had the TSA body scanning machines backwards. The big blue boxes are the ones that do x-ray and are going away. The teleportor looking ones are the ones that get to stay.

This goes well beyond Tested, but I always wonder when I hear or read things on websites or podcasts that I know are not accurate: How much of the other stuff that is covered by that site, that I don't happen to know much about, is also wrong? You always assume people know what they're talking about, but that can't always be the case. Especially in this case when a site like Tested covers such a wide array of stuff.

I think it's a compromise between people having conversations and people reading off a script.
Well, short of actually memorizing talking points and treating each podcast like a debate anyway.

Although, a pet peeve of mine is when people act as if they are 100% sure of some fact and there's nothing you can do to tell them that they're wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My advice: get off the internet.
Well, that's the thing, the internet lets you call bullshit on something instantly. Podcasts are still "old media" enough that they aren't immediately interactive (unless you happen to watching one that streams live I suppose), so they exist in this weird middle ground between the new and old media.

Of course, I've learned to just take podcasts as pieces of entertainment for the most part - the only exception is when I'm listening to a politics/news podcast.

Curufinwe

Although, a pet peeve of mine is when people act as if they are 100% sure of some fact and there's nothing you can do to tell them that they're wrong.

It's worse when they're in a room full of people where you would think at least one of know would know better. Like Brad on the last Giant Bomb TNT hoping that the PS4 gets auto updating Cloud saves like the 360 has, except the PS3 has already had them for 18 months.

Well, that's the thing, the internet lets you call bullshit on something instantly. Podcasts are still "old media" enough that they aren't immediately interactive (unless you happen to watching one that streams live I suppose), so they exist in this weird middle ground between the new and old media.

Of course, I've learned to just take podcasts as pieces of entertainment for the most part - the only exception is when I'm listening to a politics/news podcast.

Occasionally I still find myself pausing a podcast to start formulating a counterpoint to their bullshit in my head to post on GAF... but then I ask what the fuck am I doing and resume listing

I can be hard sometimes though

eznark

Banned
It's worse when they're in a room full of people where you would think at least one of know would know better. Like Brad on the last Giant Bomb TNT hoping that the PS4 gets auto updating Cloud saves like the 360 has, except the PS3 has already had them for 18 months.

Aren't they part of plus though?

You've got a few sites that have, or are contemplating the turning off of comments on articles / removal of staff interaction on forums as well. I hate that kind of "Shut up and listen" bullshit when they have no intention of listening back. Same with any disagreement even if polite & well stated being put down to "trolls".

We're moving past that big business interaction in a lot of places both online & off (shop local, etsy & the like.) if you want my clicks "likes" and subscriptions then there's going to have to be a relationship there, otherwise you can just stroll on.

Everyone in the "web" business loves social if its just a feed of sycophants confirming them. Only the brave actually keep calm & engage with valid comment question & criticism.

Not aimed at Tested staffers. Just a general call out to social/fan interaction & the few tech sites that've decided to disengage from their audience.

Poyunch

So a soda exploded in my bag last week and I want to replace my laptop. I've also really wanted a tablet but have held out on one since I really don't need one. The planets seem to be aligning now and I'm wondering if I should get the Surface Pro. Yay? Nay?

Has the W8 ecosystem gotten any better?

Aaron

So a soda exploded in my bag last week and I want to replace my laptop. I've also really wanted a tablet but have held out on one since I really don't need one. The planets seem to be aligning now and I'm wondering if I should get the Surface Pro. Yay? Nay?

Has the W8 ecosystem gotten any better?
It largely depends on what you're going to use it for, but no matter what definitely wait for reviews.

Poyunch

It largely depends on what you're going to use it for, but no matter what definitely wait for reviews.

Well I need a laptop for portable computing as I'm a student and I've always wanted to mess around with a tablet.

edit: Well shit. Another hundred or so for the type cover. Nevermind. Damn MS!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Occasionally I still find myself pausing a podcast to start formulating a counterpoint to their bullshit in my head to post on GAF... but then I ask what the fuck am I doing and resume listing

I can be hard sometimes though
Yup, just gotta let go sometimes. lol

You've got a few sites that have, or are contemplating the turning off of comments on articles / removal of staff interaction on forums as well. I hate that kind of "Shut up and listen" bullshit when they have no intention of listening back. Same with any disagreement even if polite & well stated being put down to "trolls".

We're moving past that big business interaction in a lot of places both online & off (shop local, etsy & the like.) if you want my clicks "likes" and subscriptions then there's going to have to be a relationship there, otherwise you can just stroll on.

Everyone in the "web" business loves social if its just a feed of sycophants confirming them. Only the brave actually keep calm & engage with valid comment question & criticism.

Not aimed at Tested staffers. Just a general call out to social/fan interaction & the few tech sites that've decided to disengage from their audience.
Funny enough, a lot of the podcasts I listen to do have some form of feedback system... even if it means live shows, which allows for the most intimate form of fan feedback in a way.

That said, if you can control the message, it makes life easier (just ask CBS. lol).

Mr. F

Banned
First entertaining podcast in ages, despite the audio issues. Hope Gary sticks around for a bit - it's not the same without him.

Aaron

Well I need a laptop for portable computing as I'm a student and I've always wanted to mess around with a tablet.

edit: Well shit. Another hundred or so for the type cover. Nevermind. Damn MS!
Still a little vague. If you're just writing documents, virtually any tablet and bluetooth keyboard would do the trick. I do most of my writing on an ipad2, and it works great for me. Though if you're doing photos or even video editing you'll need something more powerful.

Curufinwe

Gary and Norm's audible struggle with accepting that the PS3 and 360 have sold about the same number of consoles was very entertaining.

FStop7

Banned
"Who uses Excel and Office? Why use it?"

Because some of us are adults in the real world and not embedded in the SF tech journo bubble.

eznark

Banned
Great episode.

Yeah, people use Excel. Always. Google's spreadsheets is not even in the same stratosphere. The one benefit it has, sharing, is already accomplished via shared network drives in businesses.

Top Bottom