• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Zaph

I think you're selling Google Docs short there - the ease of which they've implemented casual collaboration (even with people outside your business domain/intranet/etc) is mindblowing.

But yes, I totally agree with the crux of your arguement, writing Office off like that is insane. Just one example - if I ever need to print a Google Spreadsheet for part of a presentation asset, I almost always download it as an Excel file and set the print format up from there, you just can't set it up properly in Google.

Aaron

I always find google docs clunky compared to a version of Word I use that's a decade old. Since I don't need collabo in a doc while I'm still working on it, google docs offers me nothing.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I always find google docs clunky compared to a version of Word I use that's a decade old. Since I don't need collabo in a doc while I'm still working on it, google docs offers me nothing.

Automatic saving and being able to access it anywhere with internet access is pretty good.

Mr. F

Banned
I've found myself using Google Docs more and more over the past year, but I think when it comes down to it Office is still my preference for word processing/spreadsheets. Also ironically enough, for all that Docs gets right it also is frustratingly archaic in other respects (placing images in documents in particular is still an unintuitive nightmare). I'm sure it'll continue to improve but even still I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Office just yet.

Edit; I guess I'll mention I'm a 20 year old University student, and that the vast majority of my classmates use Office as well (in case Norm tries to make up some demographics nonsense :p).

Aaron

AFAIK Word does automatic saving periodically, not instantly like Google Docs. And in my experience, the automatic saving in Word is very hit-and-miss.
You can set it to save every minute, and have it save to multiple files in rotation. Need to save more often than once a minute? ctrl-S. I've never had a problem with saving in Word, and I've been using it for almost twenty years.

Angst

You can set it to save every minute, and have it save to multiple files in rotation. Need to save more often than once a minute? ctrl-S. I've never had a problem with saving in Word, and I've been using it for almost twenty years.

I don't know, maybe my company computer is shitty or I work with too large documents, but every time it auto-saves word becomes unresponsive for the duration of the save. And if it hangs during the save I'm fucked.

Aaron

I don't know, maybe my company computer is shitty or I work with too large documents, but every time it auto-saves word becomes unresponsive for the duration of the save. And if it hangs during the save I'm fucked.
Something sounds wrong somewhere. Word 2000 saves in the background, so it never becomes unresponsive. I assume newer versions are the same. Could be something wrong with the hard drive that's causing it to pause.

gokieks

The one benefit it has, sharing, is already accomplished via shared network drives in businesses.

I agree completely about Excel being far and away superior, but the actual major benefit to Google Docs is simultaneous viewing and editing, which Excel, to be honest, does a horrible job of, especially with just basic network file sharing. Even in a Sharepoint environment it doesn't come close to the simple usability of GDocs in that regard.

The advantages it has far outweighs that though.

eznark

Banned
I agree completely about Excel being far and away superior, but the actual major benefit to Google Docs is simultaneous viewing and editing, which Excel, to be honest, does a horrible job of, especially with just basic network file sharing. Even in a Sharepoint environment it doesn't come close to the simple usability of GDocs in that regard.

The advantages it has far outweighs that though.

True, and this is my "finance numbers guy bubble" that I live in but I can't see there being a huge need collaborative spreadsheeting. Though I'd love to hear about it.

Zaph

Not digging this recent trend of 1 paragraph non-articles gunking up my RSS feed. Would be great if they had a feed only for original content.

Ozone

7utR1xt.png
Silly things happening on Twitter.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That Perez Hilton thing is amazing, I hope it ends up becoming a running feud.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is Perez Hilton probably won't even stop doing it, because tweeting @willsmith gets him search engine hits and visibility regardless of @willsmith actually being Verlin Smith.

I had to look up Perez Hilton. Gossip blogger? Umm okay

Now that dumb stuff is out of the way lets move onto important matters. Did someone say Brad is on the podcast? New consoles talk please

eznark

Banned
Am I remembering wrong or did Gary say how shitty he thought Vine was last week? Cause he just posted an adorable video.

eznark

Banned
It's amazing for parents. Glad he took the time to check it out. It's shocking how awesome those idiotic photo/video apps are when you have kids.

I didn't get it and I still don't know if I fully understand its appeal but I downloaded it and have been messing around with it and it's kind of fun. I don't think it's going to have the same appeal as Instagram though, there's something about these little six-second clips that just seem kind of bland and pointless.

Jaffa Cakes are the OG of chocolate-covered, orange-centred sponge cakes. Mmmm. I will say though I have a bigger preference for the mini versions.

Lidoff_225x225.jpg

Probably due to them always being included with my lunch at school. Then again I enjoy bite-size versions of any sort of snack. Even today I still love biting off the top part just to get most of the orange, and then eating the sponge cake afterwards. It's like the British version of eating an Oreo for me.

Put this on the errata list for next week: The original iPhone screen is not 4:3. It's 3:2.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS BEFORE JEEZ. I'm making my angry aspect ratio face right now.

KHarvey16

The Post Office shouldn't have to make money. Other public services don't and no other business or government agency is forced to fund pensions 75 years into the future, either.

waypoetic

Banned
In Will's head it's only Xbox as far as consoles go, i presume? There's a world outside of the USA, Will. And guess what, the Xbox isn't "on top".

that's something I've seen Will talk about on twitter at length. Seems like an issue close to him. He's an eagle scout or something I think.

Top Bottom