• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Pro tip: always finance, because you can deduct interest on auto financing.

Disclaimer: tax regulations are not the same world-wide.

Wouldn't the reduction in taxable income be offset by the fact that you're paying interest? Seems like paying cash is the better deal.

Angst

Wouldn't the reduction in taxable income be offset by the fact that you're paying interest? Seems like paying cash is the better deal.
Yeah cash is always the best option. Cars are expensive though and if I wanted to buy a new car I'd have to save for like 5-10 years. Cars are ridiculously expensive here in Norway :-(

Are the two videos (coffee and food) the only NASA videos they got?

nope. sorry if it wasn't clear in the descriptions, but those were just two very very short promo/teasers for a week full of nasa-related videos. but "space week" is temporarily delayed pending some approval and more coordinating. don't worry, the other videos are unbelievable.

fyi, we brought back 400gb of video data from that trip.

Angst

Love the podcast, I just wish you guys were as perfectionist when it comes to putting your notifications on all your devices on silent as you are when it comes to the other technical aspects of the show. *ding* :p

Blastoise

Banned
I can't listen to the podcast anymore. Will always interrupts people, then looses his train of though, mumbles for a few seconds, which ends up killing the flow of discussion.

I know this is late, but I just remembered that I wanted to reply to the bat vs. knife discussion.

Definitely go knife. While Will's reasons for using a bat SEEM sound, they are actually all flawed. A bat is not as quick as a knife.
A bat, while longer, is only really deadly in the furthest half, meaning that it is only effective in that small bit of range. If you stay out of that range, or inside of it, you will be relatively safe against someone who is swinging. You can take a shot on the shoulder from the half closest to the handle. From that close range, a knife will take you out easily.
A bat swing is a fully committed swing. If you miss, you are completely fucked against a knife. So if someone with a knife can stay outside of that range, you can come in for the kill very quickly after that first swing.
Also, regarding the simple effectiveness of the weapon, a knife is a much more effective killing tool than a bat. It is also easy to carry, simple to ready, and relatively inconspicuous. If you're walking around with a bat in your hand, people are going to know what's up and act accordingly.

Of course, this is assuming you've had some practice at maintaining proper range. It doesn't take much, though.

I think I've written too much, and probably look like a crazy person.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I know this is late, but I just remembered that I wanted to reply to the bat vs. knife discussion.

Definitely go knife. While Will's reasons for using a bat SEEM sound, they are actually all flawed. A bat is not as quick as a knife.
A bat, while longer, is only really deadly in the furthest half, meaning that it is only effective in that small bit of range. If you stay out of that range, or inside of it, you will be relatively safe against someone who is swinging. You can take a shot on the shoulder from the half closest to the handle. From that close range, a knife will take you out easily.
A bat swing is a fully committed swing. If you miss, you are completely fucked against a knife. So if someone with a knife can stay outside of that range, you can come in for the kill very quickly after that first swing.
Also, regarding the simple effectiveness of the weapon, a knife is a much more effective killing tool than a bat. It is also easy to carry, simple to ready, and relatively inconspicuous. If you're walking around with a bat in your hand, people are going to know what's up and act accordingly.

Of course, this is assuming you've had some practice at maintaining proper range. It doesn't take much, though.

I'm scared.

kaskade

There's a video I found that pretty much makes knives seem like the scariest weapon to go against. I would 1million times take my chances against a guy with a bat or a gun.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No Gary on the dadcast, he truly has left us.

*despair*

I can't listen to the podcast anymore. Will always interrupts people, then looses his train of though, mumbles for a few seconds, which ends up killing the flow of discussion.

I miss the tech quick look videos they used to do. Haven't they got the HTC One of GS4 to talk about? :S

Two major reasons why my interest in the site+podcast has decreased. The interrupting issue is one that the podcast had back when I started listening to it and it took a LONG time for me to stop caring about it, but it has started bothering me again in a big way. I finally just remove my subscription this week. :(

I loved their tech quick looks and their original video content and I still like their occasional Jamie and Adam stuff (well, the Adam stuff at least, Jamie's pretty dry on his own). After their reboot into a general purpose "whatever we want to write about" type of site I just haven't kept much interest. If I hear another word about 3D printing...

Aaron

I still like the podcast, but they really shouldn't talk about games unless its something they're actually playing. You can't have a meaningful discussion when you get the basic facts wrong.

I youtube the videos, but stopped going to the site some months back. I miss the tech focus.

Two major reasons why my interest in the site+podcast has decreased. The interrupting issue is one that the podcast had back when I started listening to it and it took a LONG time for me to stop caring about it, but it has started bothering me again in a big way. I finally just remove my subscription this week. :(

I loved their tech quick looks and their original video content and I still like their occasional Jamie and Adam stuff (well, the Adam stuff at least, Jamie's pretty dry on his own). After their reboot into a general purpose "whatever we want to write about" type of site I just haven't kept much interest. If I hear another word about 3D printing...

Ha! No kidding. It's basically become just that and "Adam, tell us all the cool stuff you do in your spare time!"

The podcast is a bit dreadful these days. Lack of Gary has meant a lack of any fun personality on the podcast at all. Wesley Fenlon just about puts me to sleep and half the time Norm seems as though as he's not even paying attention and doesn't want to be there. "Hey Norm, want to read some emails?" "Uh, nope, I'm good." Ok then...

No_Style

Thank goodness for Loyd & his wonderous knowledge of tech. If only he was on more often.

I'll continue to listen but I think I'm going to skip the Will & Norm exclusive ones.

eznark

Banned
Have you heard about the guys who print guns? It's dangerous, I'd never fire those!
Have you heard about the guys who print guns? It's dangerous, I'd never fire those!

Love the Dadcast, great treat for Mother's Day. Lloyd was awesome in the last podcast as well, hope we see more of appearances in the future

Myomoto

I feel like concern over 3D printed plastic guns is kinda misplaced when you can do this kind of shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wV3lmbSv4

eznark

Banned
I actually absolutely love the general 3D printing discussion, but this is like the 5th time they've brought up Defense Distributed and have not added a single thing to the discussion since the first time.

Still boggles my mind that Will says "JIF." It's not a peanut butter, Will. The first word is GRAPHICS with a hard G. Say "gift" and drop the 't'. Not that hard.

gokieks

Still boggles my mind that Will says "JIF." It's not a peanut butter, Will. The first word is GRAPHICS with a hard G. Say "gift" and drop the 't'. Not that hard.

Saying it with a hard G sounds better IMO, but saying it like JIF is the way the creators of the format intended.

It's also an extremely dumb argument that just needs to go away.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Saying it with a hard G sounds better IMO, but saying it like JIF is the way the creators of the format intended.

It's also an extremely dumb argument that just needs to go away.
Didn't the creator actually say it was hard-g recently?

newjeruse

The fact that Will misinterpreted the original Foxconn skit as racist is unfortunate. The fact that he makes a point of reiterating his misinterpretation has gotten annoying.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit these two videos are awesome (Hadfield eating and the long NASA food one). This makes me really miss the promise of the Tested Show.

Top Bottom