• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

LuchaShaq

Banned
There is nothing wrong with having backtouch there, it is an inexpensive addition to hardware that could be used well down the line - and FIFA already made good use of it out of the gate.

The only problem with backtouch right now is that Sony seems to have mandated that everyone try to show it of in the launch like up - and many companies have used it for stupid features. It is more or less the same as what happen with Sixaxis at the PS3 launch. It was pointless in Resistance and Uncharted - but along came Flower, and it made people glad it was included on the platform.

Worst part of backtouch is that there is no comfortable way to hold the device unless you have tiny child hands or are some weirdo that likes squeezing in the sides.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to this makes me want a regular Gary-hosted podcast.

I like Will as a host, but damn if he doesn't kill a lot of discussions that could have been interesting with this "We don't need to talk about this." or "We should save this for fake outtakes." comments.

Seriously, fuck fake outtakes.

Is Will's tactic to beat Norm at the Bricked challenge
buying an extra set and building it at home?
(spoiler if your name is Norm) I got that impression from Gary's comments on the podcast

Recon

Banned
Listening to this makes me want a regular Gary-hosted podcast.

I like Will as a host, but damn if he doesn't kill a lot of discussions that could have been interesting with this "We don't need to talk about this." or "We should save this for fake outtakes." comments.

Seriously, fuck fake outtakes.

Will seriously pisses me off by cutting off something by saying it is too inside baseball or whatever. If a conversation is naturally going someplace, dont cut it off like that. It only infuriates the listener because we are left wondering what the fuck they were gonna say.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Will seriously pisses me off by cutting off something by saying it is too inside baseball or whatever. If a conversation is naturally going someplace, dont cut it off like that. It only infuriates the listener because we are left wondering what the fuck they were gonna say.

Exactly! I like a lot of what Will adds to the podcast, but he enrages me when he prematurely stops or cuts off a naturally flowing conversation. It's good to steer the conversation as a host, but he needs to do it in a more natural way. Don't just stop or cut something off abruptly.

Does he think the people who listen to his podcast are 'average Joes' who listen to normal mainstream talk shows or something? He certainly seems to think that the audience is too dumb to be interested in the nitty gritty details of tech talk.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Agree. He's the Id to Gary's Ego.

Exactly! I like a lot of what Will adds to the podcast, but he enrages me when he prematurely stops or cuts off a naturally flowing conversation. It's good to steer the conversation as a host, but he needs to do it in a more natural way. Don't just stop or cut something off abruptly.

Does he think the people who listen to his podcast are 'average Joes' who listen to normal mainstream talk shows or something? He certainly seems to think that the audience is too dumb to be interested in the nitty gritty details of tech talk.
He is definitely right that the audience is tech-saavy.. But not tech experts. If a conversation only applies to those with programming experience, a hardware engineer, or a patent lawyer, he's right to avoid it.

Recon

Banned
You anti-Will guys are nuts. You need a dad to threaten to turn the car around to the kids.

I am not anti-will. I enjoy him 95% of the time. I probably enjoy the 3 hosts equally. I just wish he let certain conversations happen instead of assuming what the listener would like. That is all.

FStop7

Banned
I admit it... I was rooting for Norm and Gary to leap across the desk and start making out.

This never bothered me until last week when he quickly interrupted Gary and kept saying "Don't talk about this! Too much making the sausage! Don't feed the trolls!" They spent so much time talking about whether or not they should talk about whatever it was that I was getting pretty frustrated. That's a huge pet peeve of mine when people do that during IRL conversations and it's even worse when it happens during podcasts.

Yeah Will is obsessed with his wiki which will be filled up by the tested community with a bunch of "inside baseball" but won't talk about it on the podcast...which is listened to by those people.

Recon

Banned
I admit it... I was rooting for Norm and Gary to leap across the desk and start making out.

This never bothered me until last week when he quickly interrupted Gary and kept saying "Don't talk about this! Too much making the sausage! Don't feed the trolls!" They spent so much time talking about whether or not they should talk about whatever it was that I was getting pretty frustrated. That's a huge pet peeve of mine when people do that during IRL conversations and it's even worse when it happens during podcasts.

I never really cared about it either until that podcast. He spent more time telling them not to talk about it then it probably would of taken to just say whatever they were going to say.

Edit: I hope I am not too negative, I really enjoy the podcast, and I became a whiskey subscriber just because of Tested. But it was that one thing that just annoyed me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did Gary lose wieght? He looks like he's in better shape then the last time I saw him, during the Giantbomb E3 podcasts I think.

Yes! You can kind of follow his journey right here on NeoGAF's Weight Loss thread, in which he sometimes post.

FStop7

Banned
This GAF banner ad is just for you, @willsmith.

64Wtw.jpg

Edit: I hope I am not too negative, I really enjoy the podcast, and I became a whiskey subscriber just because of Tested. But it was that one thing that just annoyed me.

I don't think you're being negative. I love the work they do and Will has taken the time to reply to several different emails I've sent to him at length. I think he even replied to one that I sent him about turkeys on Thanksgiving. Take a break, man!

bionic77

I liked the podcast (the Vita stuff was especially good).

I am not with the anti-Will people at all. He definitely adds something to the discussion and Gary is funnier when Will is around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone is anti-Will. Some of us are anti-Will strong-arming the discussion because he doesn't think listeners want to hear about something, or he wants to save it for bullshit fake outtakes.

I really think that section should go. They go on tangents enough in the normal podcast for it to be mostly meaningless.

Recon

Banned
I don't think anyone is anti-Will. Some of us are anti-Will strong-arming the discussion because he doesn't think listeners want to hear about something, or he wants to save it for bullshit fake outtakes.

I really think that section should go. They go on tangents enough in the normal podcast for it to be mostly meaningless.

Fake outtakes is usually a lot better when they have a specific thing they know they are going to talk about. I loved the ones about tv shows.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fake outtakes is usually a lot better when they have a specific thing they know they are going to talk about. I loved the ones about tv shows.

That may be so.

Every time I hear "save it for fake outtakes", I rage a bit, though. So annoying.
Seems to happen at least once on every podcast, too.

Maybe it's just because of the manner in which I listen to them, which is in 30-50 minute chunks during my commute to and from work. Saving it for fake outtakes means that I might be waiting a couple of days to hear their conversation about something that was potentially interesting.

numble

I like it if things are saved for Fake Outtakes. There really are only a very small number of good overall tech podcasts (ie not ones solely focused on a particular platform), and I think This is Only a Test has started to slowly move towards being some sort of reality/variety show, especially since Octobercast.

Case in point: on the week that Mountain Lion was announced, I wanted to hear what they thought about it. Since the first section is "News," I should expect to hear that early on in the podcast, right? No, I had to listen to 30 minutes of random talk about subjects like Muppets, Dora the Explorer, and Fraggle Rock.

^ Agree. He's the Id to Gary's Ego.

He is definitely right that the audience is tech-saavy.. But not tech experts. If a conversation only applies to those with programming experience, a hardware engineer, or a patent lawyer, he's right to avoid it.

Wouldn't Will be be the Ego and Gary the Id?

Case in point: on the week that Mountain Lion was announced, I wanted to hear what they thought about it. Since the first section is "News," I should expect to hear that early on in the podcast, right? No, I had to listen to 30 minutes of random talk about subjects like Muppets, Dora the Explorer, and Fraggle Rock.
That's the kind of podcast it is. After more than a hundred episodes the style of the show should be a surprise to no-one. If you don't like that approach there are TONS of podcasts out there that do nothing but talk about tech in a dry, matter-of-fact way. Tested is not that, which is why I think it stands out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I like it if things are saved for Fake Outtakes. There really are only a very small number of good overall tech podcasts (ie not ones solely focused on a particular platform), and I think This is Only a Test has started to slowly move towards being some sort of reality/variety show, especially since Octobercast.

That is how Whiskey Media rolls.

Recon

Banned
That's the kind of podcast it is. After more than a hundred episodes the style of the show should be a surprise to no-one. If you don't like that approach there are TONS of podcasts out there that do nothing but talk about tech in a dry, matter-of-fact way. Tested is not that, which is why I think it stands out.

Yup. The episodes of Giant Bomb where they barely talk about new games are my favorites. Their california extreme episode is probably the best thing I have heard from them. I think its why I listen to Whiskey podcasts, except for comic vine. They just do whatever, and I love it.

numble

I'm not looking for a dry, matter-of-fact way, I think there can be a happy medium--like the 2 The Verge podcasts, for instance. I've been listening for over a year and I think there's been a steady drift in the focus. Early on in the podcast history, Will would be a stickler for sticking on topic (I remember at least one early podcast where he said new listeners would be turned away from certain tangential discussions if they occur in the beginning, and I'm inclined to agree). Then it started to drift to having more tangents, but using the Inception sound effect to acknowledge getting back on topic, now its kind of a free-for-all.

I am also specifically addressing Zefah, who wants to eliminate Fake Outtakes and just make things even more full of tangents.

You must hate the bombcast.

Vyer

I think Will trying to cut off/maintain is kinda necessary. I mean, I could listen all day (and often do since I am on the road a lot for work) but the single episodes can push 2 hours. I'd imagine just letting it go would ge a little hard to work with.

No_Style

Great job, Gary and Norm. I like how Gary took the role of host and ran with it like a veteran.

I missed Will's trolling/egging of the rest of the crew though... Those were always fun moments. Get well soon, sir!

Also the lack of a rigid structure is what makes these podcasts easy listens for me. Please don't ever change it!

Great job, Gary and Norm. I like how Gary took the role of host and ran with it like a veteran.

I missed Will's trolling/egging of the rest of the crew though... Those were always fun moments. Get well soon, sir!

Also the lack of a rigid structure is what makes these podcasts easy listens for me. Please don't ever change it!

Yeah, it's like people want a CNN type discussion instead of some friends talking about shit they're knowledgable about. - so stop making sports metaphors will.

willsmith

I am not anti-will. I enjoy him 95% of the time. I probably enjoy the 3 hosts equally. I just wish he let certain conversations happen instead of assuming what the listener would like. That is all.

For what it's worth, when I cut Gary off about that, I wasn't assuming what the listener wants to hear. I just didn't want to give airtime to topics that are irrelevant to the 'cast.

Simply by talking about it on the show, we lend credibility to the topic. The thing I cut off that you guys are so upset about is super boring and super inside baseball. What Gary wanted to talk about was MG Siegler (from TechCrunch) asserting that Nick Bilton from the NY Times has some sort of bias with regard to the Path address book uploading mini-scandal. In fact Siegler is actually the one with a well-established bias. He's investing in and stands to make money from companies that he reports on, including Path. Siegler has a clear bias, Bilton does not. Really, there's nothing to talk about, and since most of the people who listen to our show never visit TechCrunch (good on them), so there's no reason to discuss it at all.

I didn't intend for it to be some massive controversy, but I don't care to give Siegler's bullshit airtime. He's lost what little credibility he had with this CrunchFund stuff.

I said this was too inside baseball because it's about one particular tech journalist who writes for a site that very few normal people read. It isn't about technology, products, or even people who make technology.

I don't want to start down the path of discussing Silicon Valley insider nonsense like it actually matters. That stuff is why I stopped listening to other popular technology podcasts, so I want to stay focused on topics that actually matter. You know, like the number of squirrels I could kill with my bare hands while wearing a loincloth.

Apologies for grammatical errors or nonsense here. I have a pretty awesome fever right now.

For what it's worth, when I cut Gary off about that, I wasn't assuming what the listener wants to hear. I just didn't want to give airtime to topics that are irrelevant to the 'cast.

Simply by talking about it on the show, we lend credibility to the topic. The thing I cut off that you guys are so upset about is super boring and super inside baseball. What Gary wanted to talk about was MG Siegler (from TechCrunch) asserting that Nick Bilton from the NY Times has some sort of bias with regard to the Path address book uploading mini-scandal. In fact Siegler is actually the one with a well-established bias. He's investing in and stands to make money from companies that he reports on, including Path. Siegler has a clear bias, Bilton does not. Really, there's nothing to talk about, and since most of the people who listen to our show never visit TechCrunch (good on them), so there's no reason to discuss it at all.

I didn't intend for it to be some massive controversy, but I don't care to give Siegler's bullshit airtime. He's lost what little credibility he had with this CrunchFund stuff.

I said this was too inside baseball because it's about one particular tech journalist who writes for a site that very few normal people read. It isn't about technology, products, or even people who make technology.

I don't want to start down the path of discussing Silicon Valley insider nonsense like it actually matters. That stuff is why I stopped listening to other popular technology podcasts, so I want to stay focused on topics that actually matter. You know, like the number of squirrels I could kill with my bare hands while wearing a loincloth.

Apologies for grammatical errors or nonsense here. I have a pretty awesome fever right now.

<3

Hope you get better soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Those tangents are great and part of what I love about the podcast. I like the tech talk, too, of course, but the free flow of the conversation between a group of interesting individuals is what makes the Whiskey Media podcasts so fun.

That's why I get annoyed when conversations are artificially disrupted or shifted into another direction. It kind of kills the flow in some cases.

I did not know Siegler was universally hated.

I watch Twit's iPad Today show (only one of their shows I really watch) and anytime he shows up I get angry for no real reason. Glad to know my instinctual hate was on the mark.

I'm not looking for a dry, matter-of-fact way, I think there can be a happy medium--like the 2 The Verge podcasts, for instance. I've been listening for over a year and I think there's been a steady drift in the focus. Early on in the podcast history, Will would be a stickler for sticking on topic (I remember at least one early podcast where he said new listeners would be turned away from certain tangential discussions if they occur in the beginning, and I'm inclined to agree). Then it started to drift to having more tangents, but using the Inception sound effect to acknowledge getting back on topic, now its kind of a free-for-all.

I am also specifically addressing Zefah, who wants to eliminate Fake Outtakes and just make things even more full of tangents.

Oh god, the verge podcast is fucking terrible. 90% crap. Nilay is awesome but Paul can't get a sentence out and josh interrupts every 10 seconds.

I dont even bother with the mobile one, where the host seems to fancy himself a josh-lite but even more terrible.

They need to give nilay a legal/tech podcast and be done with it.

Also, they are the anti-engadget but they still work on a 6-9.5 review scale and their videos are over produced.

Basically the verge is terrible except for nilay (they even lost stern)

pologies for grammatical errors or nonsense here. I have a pretty awesome fever right now.
I don't remember this vividly but I doubt that was what I wanted to talk about since I have no idea who MC Siegler or Nick Bilton are, your post is the first time I've ever heard of either of them!

Jintor

Great job hosting Gary. Just a quick question about 'entitlement' - what do you think about international markets? When something in the US gets something day of and other territories have to wait for weeks or months to get the exact same content due to rights issues, I know it's crossing the line to actually go out and pirate shit, but do you think customers have a right to at least complain about that? A lot of your discussion seemed very US-centric and I'd like to hear what you think about the situation of your overseas listeners.

Top Bottom