• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Aaron

We discussed it at length in the thread on Tested. The TLDR is that we bought a legit copy to use for benchmarking, but activation prevents. Because it has to be moved from machine to machine as we test new machines, eventually normal copies stop activating properly. Adobe limits the number of times you can make that transfer, and there's also a fairly real chance that we'll fuck up and leave our real copy activated when we send a machine back make it too high risk to use a legit copy. We tried using demos at Maximum PC when Adobe changed the activation policy (Adobe used to provide copies with 50 activations for benchmarking purposes), but for some reason that I don't remember, Gordon said the demo was unreliable. Hence, torrents. FWIW, the license that we use for benchmarking has never been used for actual work. It's purely a benchmarking tool.

TLDR for the TLDR: activation is a hassle for benchmarking
As someone who rarely needs Photoshop, I've done all my work on demos, and it's been fine. Adobe changes versions often enough that I just download the fresh one next time I need more work doing. They also have Photoshop Elements, which has much the same features, but being an entirely different demo, gets me another 30 days.

It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than piracy.

Ignignort

Just install the full version and don't put in a key for it. I can't imagine just for benchmarking purposes that it would need to be on a pc for much longer than a day.

Not sure why you would even need to download a torrent version? Going to benchmark a pc after 30 days? Seems very random.

I don't particularly care, nor did I notice that in the video just seems strange to do so

numble

As someone who rarely needs Photoshop, I've done all my work on demos, and it's been fine. Adobe changes versions often enough that I just download the fresh one next time I need more work doing. They also have Photoshop Elements, which has much the same features, but being an entirely different demo, gets me another 30 days.

It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than piracy.

This sounds like an okay solution. The demos are limited per machine, right? So each new machine can run a new 30 day demo.

Xater

Also if you are on a Mac just use Pixelmator. It's 30 bucks and does what most people actually use Photoshop for.

I pretty much use it exclusively now. More than enough for my needs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Also if you are on a Mac just use Pixelmator. It's 30 bucks and does what most people actually use Photoshop for.

I pretty much use it exclusively now. More than enough for my needs.

They are using it as a benchmark on demo machines, not photo manipulation.

Megasoum

Banned
So if I wanted to avoid the hasle of having to activate that video or having to call Whiskey Media to get more activation, how would I get it?

AKA the "Hey it may not be legal but I'm lazy so that makes it moraly acceptable" method.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sigh...I was hoping that the Bricked video would be archived by now. Was planning on spending the afternoon watching that.

Yeah pretty bummed I'm a subscriber but forgot this is premium so I kept checking the justin/tv channel argh.

Have no issue with the PS thing, they probably already own a bunch of copies.

If the site didn't have the download option for videos (watch most on the treadmill), I would "pirate" premium content despite being a paying subscriber (and would continue to be) since the day they made the option available.

What's right>>>>>>>>>>>>>What's legal.

Fuck the police as well.

eznark

Banned
Cue the explosions, constant music, and sound effects.

God damn that show is awful. It's like weekly spike tv awards.

I'll listen for you though.

Megasoum

Banned
Cue the explosions, constant music, and sound effects.

God damn that show is awful. It's like weekly spike tv awards.

I'll listen for you though.

Yeah it's like a Public-access tv version of a spike tv awards, ugh.

Looks like it's impossible to have a serious show about games nowadays, you are force to catter to the lowest dominator...bro....

eznark

Banned
i wonder if it's okay because the people on beauty and the geek are actual geeks (albeit heavily edited and produced probably)

I would think exploiting actual geeks for lulz would be worse than scripted jokes involving actors.

Also, to me laugh tracks are no different than any other music or ambient sounds that enhance the viewing experience. I know people like to pass around the "x sitcom without laugh track" youtube videos, but you can do the same with most horror movies. Without the music telling you when to be scared and building suspense, the frights simply don't exist.

(All that said, I think that show is terrible).

Also, since my guy Gary Johnson has no shot, I hope Santorum wins so I can laugh at the Tested reactions!

Dave, Gary and Will. That's the political podcast I want to listen to.
I have a friend who's very smart about politics but definitely more to the right. He would be an interesting guy to do it with because it's only a good conversation if you've got people coming at it from different sides.

In quasi-related news, I did the TWiT.tv Game On show this weekend, the show video should be up soon. Thanks to Veronica and Brian for having me!

HD4bd.jpg

I have a friend who's very smart about politics but definitely more to the right. He would be an interesting guy to do it with because it's only a good conversation if you've got people coming at it from different sides.

Doesn't Will lean more to the right than you and Norm?

eznark

Banned
I thought Dave was fairly libertarian? I think it'd be interesting to hear a libertarian debate you communists.

Doesn't Will lean more to the right than you and Norm?
Will seems conflicted. In the snippets he has let out it appears he likes the idea of liberty, but thinks people are too shitty to be left to their own devices.

Jintor

Argh, I fucking hate Whiskey's inbuilt media player. I don't care enough about quality, but I do care about get some smooth-ass streaming video, and YouTube is infinitely more reliable than their inbuilt stuff. It's gotten to the point where I actively dislike the experience of watching premium content because I have no idea whether it'll stutter or not.

Pisses me off. If I could drop the quality without having to reload the page I'd be at least a little happier.

Argh, I fucking hate Whiskey's inbuilt media player. I don't care enough about quality, but I do care about get some smooth-ass streaming video, and YouTube is infinitely more reliable than their inbuilt stuff. It's gotten to the point where I actively dislike the experience of watching premium content because I have no idea whether it'll stutter or not.

Pisses me off. If I could drop the quality without having to reload the page I'd be at least a little happier.

I am completely the opposite, Youtube is messy for me, a Whiskey works fine. I always choose Progressive though - and I download a lot of stuff before watching now (via iTunes), especially Quick Looks.

bobeth

To me, Whiskey's media player is infinitely better than youtube, never stutters even in HD. Wish there was an option to undock though...

If any UK/Ireland folks want a Zojirushi 17-oz Thermal Mug, now is a good time...

Go here

Ireland - http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from...HOT+COLD+MUG+CUP+BOTTLE+17oz+SM-DB50-BA+BLACK
UK - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...OT+COLD+MUG+CUP+BOTTLE+17oz+SM-DB50-BA+BLACK+

...the guy sells them weekly, and is reliable.

Use this code CUKFB1 at the checkout (explained here), pay via Paypal

Costs around £26.30

BTW, the code can be used on anything on eBay (like we are discussing here), just recommending the Zojirushi.

sk3

Banned

In quasi-related news, I did the TWiT.tv Game On show this weekend, the show video should be up soon. Thanks to Veronica and Brian for having me!
Has this show gotten any better? I watched the first couple and it was absolutely dreadful. It's like a G4 show without the production values.

I cannot watch Game On either. In fact, any type of "show" about games usually annoys me at this point. I don't needed someone acting overly happy, or being a character in front of the camera. Fuck that.

It would be pretty awesome if Will and Norm did a live stream of them reacting to the iPad 3 live blog updates

I wished they went ahead with the plan to hook Gary up to a machine as he watches an Apple event to test how he reacts.

I think they had a plan to do something like a year or so back, or at least talked about it on the podcast, but never did anything (as far as I can remember)

A video titled Tested: Gary Whitta would be awesome

Top Bottom