• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Kritz

Banned
I should have bought one while I had the chance. :(

Yeah I think those mugs had a super limited run. God, it's so good though. It uses some kind of mug-magic where the heat from the coffee never transitions to the other side so you can just walk around holding it full palmed instead of kinda crane-ing it from the top with a few burned fingers.

MAN are we all going to be Tested hipsters, when this site gets super big and famous and we'll all be the dudes that remember when THE TESTING WAS FOR REAL AND THE LOGO WASN'T VERY GOOD BUT ALSO didn't have the words "Adam and Jamie" on it.

Maybe they could just do a free time podcast unrelated to tested. And I say "just" in the way that "just" could mean spend a lot of time and money getting recording equipment and a place to record and hosting and racism.

I think I will miss the racism most of all.

JBuccCP

I actually haven't watched Mythbusters in like, forever.
I used to love that show so much, but Discovery Channel all went to shit, so I ended up forgetting all about it.

Any people that still watch it in here? Is it still worth watching?

Last time I watched a couple years ago it had devolved into lame movie "myths" and other such nonsense.

Anything from Rorie yet? I feel bad he seems to have been left behind in all this.
Yeah BermanBraun bought Screened too, but I really doubt they are putting that much effort and money into it like Tested.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah I think those mugs had a super limited run. God, it's so good though. It uses some kind of mug-magic where the heat from the coffee never transitions to the other side so you can just walk around holding it full palmed instead of kinda crane-ing it from the top with a few burned fingers.

It's just two walls of ceramic with vacuum on the inside. If you notice, the top of the mug always gets hotter than the bottom. That's because the space between the two "walls" of ceramic is smaller/non existent on the top.

The zojirushi works the same way.

Poyunch

Bought the Whiskey Media roller coaster t-shirt since that's probably the last whiskey media thing of everyone together. RIP Whiskey Media.

Maybe the Big Live Live Show can be a yearly reunion.
If only.

Cj70

Can't imagine new visitors/owners to/of the site will like seeing the rage on the forums right now. I really think they should get out infront of this and promise some minor changes like:

Adding will and norm's twitter feeds to the front page.
Fixing the layout so that we don't have 2 paragraphs followed by a mile to the comments.
Making each article page longer (splitting them is really lame)
Fixing the forums (they're so messed up)

Wish they would change the ugly logo and the colour scheme too but I imagine those are non negotiable :p

The reporting on 'everything awesome' content isn't for me but I will still listen to the podcast and watch amusing videos if they don't change as much as the site has.

FAKE EDIT: Now getting HTML on the home page... did they not put this on a test environment and really look at it before putting this up? It's all a mess :/

Poyunch

I am going to listen to Adele

image.php

PaulLFC

I guess this thread isn't above the doom and gloom. I understand people always freak out about change, but are you guys really that concerned over a picture in the corner of a website?

Will and Norm will be doing bigger and better things. I'm a fan of the content, not what it's wrapped in.

If you don't understand why the Mythbusters are the face of the website maybe you should keep an eye on the traffic in the coming months.
While you're right about that I can't help thinking that it would have been fairer, and no less beneficial, to include all four members in some way, not just the Mythbusters. I can understand why they put them in the title, but having JUST them there is harsh considering the work Will and Norm have put into the site.

While you're right about that I can't help thinking that it would have been fairer, and no less beneficial, to include all four members in some way, not just the Mythbusters. I can understand why they put them in the title, but having JUST them there is harsh considering the work Will and Norm have put into the site.

I'm sure Will and Norm will be just fine with the piles of money they're getting from all this.

Tantalus

Neo Member
Yeah there are some weird glitches going on with their website right now. They must be working on some back end stuff; I just got broken HTML on the home page with what looked like a hash of some kind under the video. Really strange.

The best way to get ahead of the negativity will be to show us that the video and audio content will still have the same personality we've come to enjoy. The iPad Quicklook will hopefully aleve many fears.

The idea of them not swearing really annoys me. It's a sign of freedom of speech and a way for them to be more natural. If I never hear Will throw out a few dozen fucks in a podcast I'm going to be a sad man.

The best way to get ahead of the negativity will be to show us that the video and audio content will still have the same personality we've come to enjoy. The iPad Quicklook will hopefully aleve many fears.

Video are now through Youtube though - which sickens me

Sorry to bring this up again,

Poyunch

A very easy way of fixing the logo would to add "with". Make it Jamie and Adam with Tested. But that doesn't really seem likely since they seem be to trying to make it like a site launch by the Mythbusters duders.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Video are now through Youtube though - which sickens me

Sorry to bring this up again,

I totally agree. I loved the embedded video on Whiskey sites. Very fast and high quality throughout, not to mention being able to download if you were a premium customer. The Whiskey sites just had a great feel to them, really.

obonicus

And that definitely doesn't help matters. It will just make the Tested acquisition look like a mistake.

If someone comes to that conclusion, they don't know the internet, and probably shouldn't be buying a website. People will complain bitterly about any change that seems too upsetting. It's just how it works.

Lombaszko

I rarely went to Tested for the articles, I was there for original video content and the podcast. I'm going to try supporting them more by clicking the articles and participating in the forums (when they get fixed).

For people looking to get the old site videos, I can still download them from Instacast, I'm guessing they exist on the old servers still?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And that definitely doesn't help matters. It will just make the Tested acquisition look like a mistake.

It may not help, but you can't expect people to not voice their opinions, especially when they are justified. What kind of idiot buys a personality and community-driven site, and then decides to straight up change the personalities and shit on the community?

It really makes zero sense.

Why not just commission a new site to be built? People went to Tested for the content by Norm and Will. Having them completely supplanted with some American TV stars is alienating. Not to mention they barely even acknowledge the website existed in a different form for the past two years. Big "fuck you" to the community.

Oh well, let's hope this all turns out for the best, but I think the guys who bought the site really handled this poorly.

I fixed the home page.

RWofz.jpg

This would have massively changed the reaction, I think. It isn't that Jamie and Adam are now major parts of the site that is the issue, it's that Will and Norm were wiped away from the front page branding of the site they created. Honestly, if the video content with Will and Norm is as great as it always has been going forward, I have no issue. But the site as it currently looks obvious just massively sours the initial excitement.

Wow Will and Norm must be super embarrassed by the Tested community. Sheesh.

Yeah, super uncool to be taking that to their forums and facebook. Christ, there's even people tweeting at Adam and Jamie directly. It's one thing for us to bitch in our little tucked away corner of the internet. Putting that shit front-and-center only hurts Will and Norm.

Ozone

Black t's are the worst
That's ra.... Wait, they're gonna have to stop saying that anymore, aren't they? GODDAMMIT, NO.

I'm not pleased with the current look of things, BUT I will wait until next week's podcast before I make full judgement. If the magic is gone from that, we're in trouble. But we just don't know yet.

Top Bottom