• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Jo-El

I can't wait to find out what Will and Norm can do with a bigger budget. I have a feeling we're going to see some pretty awesome stuff.

Emitan

VdLmw.png

Hehehe

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else, I really look forward to next week's podcast.

MasLegio

Banned
Lets try and be a bit positive about this.

Sure the site has drastically taken away focus from the people that for tested.fans equals what tested is. I understand the anger about them not being mentioned at all on the front page, I myself was severly miffed at first. Also I think they should at least be on first page twitter feeds (which will happen) as well as portrait photos maybe not on top center but low right part.

So on to the positive outcome, happy future thinking activated. People will come to the site due to mythbusters, we already know tested and are already there, but what they will find is content created by Will and Norm (and others). Considering the quality of the content vs the quality of Discovery content the newcomers will be gobsmacked by the high standard of entertainment and content and this will make Will & Norm grow bigger than possible before. They will get giant heads and might even get a show of their own on the Discovery Network. Also they will have a real human test dummy for their tech, Karl Pilkington.

dwebo

So what happens to Ryan Whitwam, Will Greenwald, Sam Cook, Wesley Fenlon, Bobby Schweizer, and Matt Braga?
Who?

Just kidding, sort of. Were they interns? I admit to being a bit bemused when I opened the new site to see more articles posted by Will in the last 24h than he's posted over the past few months I've been visiting (or at least it feels that way).

bonesquad

I'm still excited to see what comes of this new Tested + Mythbusters pairing. I hope all these shenanigans don't affect that. I also hope though there are changes to the website layout... Mainly it's too white/bright but also sterile now:) Needs to be toned down and given a splash of color.

My biggest disappointment still is that I didn't get one of those Tested coffee mugs when I had the chance:(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I feel better now. You guys should try and get some videos up soon. Let people know that you guys are still a significant personality behind everything Tested. Start letting people get to know you immediately and to allay fears of your current fans that your past stuff wasn't just a place holder until they could push it off the front page.

If anything you found out how scarily passionate your fans can be :p

Poyunch

That post just wants me to find a link to a bunch of Japanese people saying "sugoi" to a barking Chloe Bananas. Help me out fellow Tested fans!!!

AngryMoth

If Will an Norms' pics were up there in the banner with Jamie and Adam this would have gone much smoother. I'm sure everything will be fine once content starts going up.

trinest

So which side of this split gets the wiki technology? Will Tested ever get a wiki for tech and crazy things?

I thought when the news first came out the people who bought Tested get the majority of the websites (bar Giant Bomb) and the Wiki software?

V_Ben

Banned
The RSS feeds and Video RSS feeds don't seem to work properly anymore :( I can't get videos pushed to my iPad anymore ><

Zaph

cPYV1.png

Guys, I'm sure Will and Norm appreciate your support, but unfortunately sometimes that isn't enough to keep the lights on - eventually you have to turn a profit.

By some miracle Tested was able to find an almost perfectly compatible property to anchor itself to. Really we should be happy BermanBraun kept Will, Norm and Joey on to produce video content. They could have just of easily fired them and instead hire some minimum wage bloggers to fill content between the Adam and Jaime stuff.

I've witnessed some pretty nasty buy-outs and, by any standard, what's happened here is nothing short of a miracle.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm finding it a bit annoying that all Will has said so far always revolved around the idea of "Stop whining, you guys should be happy for us"... Honestly I find that a bit egocentric.

Don't get me wrong, I love those guys! I've been following them for almost ten years now (I still have super old issues of PCGamer with "Norm the intern" and the Gary column at the end) and there's nothing I want more than for them to succeed, get bigger and reach more people.

I don't think there's anybody here who doesn't want them to grow bigger. The problems that people raised today is that, at first glance anyway (and the future will hopefully prove us wrong), they are growing bigger by moving away from the community that contributed to get Tested where it is right now.

The new site looks like a corporate publicity blog for a tv show (it looks like a blog subset of the Discovery channel website actually). They have terrible and lackluster forums, no way to interract with other users (hell we can't even see our own profile right now!), no quoting, no blogging, no way to send messages between users, etc.

Sure they'll get a ton of new users but how can they expect those new users to form a cohesive community if in the end most of the user activity will live in story comments?

I'm sure that at least some of these concerns will get fixed by the Top Men in the next couple of weeks but let's just say that they did one hell of a bad first impression today.

I'm not mad, I'm not screaming or saying stupid shit on Twitter to the Mythbusters guys, I'm just concerned about something I love and followed daily for the last two years.

They say that they will prove the doubter wrong with the content in the next couple of weeks so I trust them to deliver and I guess we'll see where the the site is in a couple of months and if they stayed true to their promises.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's fucking embarrassing that he needed to do that.

But not surprising. They made a mistake with the launch for the people who know and love Tested.

When they showed the video yesterday, I was unbelievably excited. But when the new site launched Will and Norm were nowhere to be seen except for the stuff that was grandfathered in. Yes they showed them in the intro video, but while a good start, they didn't follow up on it.

After that there were new articles posted by Will and a shot of his mug, but that was it. Yes there were new articles, but do you honestly read who wrote it every single time? I sure as hell don't.

All they needed was one in length video introducing Will and Norm to the new followers and then them spending 45 minutes tearing stuff apart and doing their usual banter.

It was a shell shock to see everything new about the site was pretty much about Jamie and Adam while Norm and Will seemed to disappear into articles 'posted by...'

I'm relieved at what Will finally posted, but they made a severe miscalculation on how to relaunch the site when they had a built in audience who cared about them being the face of Tested.

I actually haven't watched Mythbusters in like, forever.
I used to love that show so much, but Discovery Channel all went to shit, so I ended up forgetting all about it.

Any people that still watch it in here? Is it still worth watching?

I do. It's still a great show, but I'm not a fan of the "lets blow this up for no reason" segments. The actual science stuff good though, and of course there's Kari, oh beautiful Kari... :)

sixghost

But not surprising. They made a mistake with the launch for the people who know and love Tested.

When they showed the video yesterday, I was unbelievably excited. But when the new site launched Will and Norm were nowhere to be seen except for the stuff that was grandfathered in. Yes they showed them in the intro video, but while a good start, they didn't follow up on it.

After that there were new articles posted by Will and a shot of his mug, but that was it. Yes there were new articles, but do you honestly read who wrote it every single time? I sure as hell don't.

All they needed was one in length video introducing Will and Norm to the new followers and then them spending 45 minutes tearing stuff apart and doing their usual banter.

It was a shell shock to see everything new about the site was pretty much about Jamie and Adam while Norm and Will seemed to disappear into articles 'posted by...'

I'm relieved at what Will finally posted, but they made a severe miscalculation on how to relaunch the site when they had a built in audience who cared about them being the face of Tested up until this reboot.
The only mistake they made was assuming their audience could act like adults.

someone else mentioned that this feels tacky and I think that's my view. Still Norm and Will seemed genuinely excited about it on the podcast so I'm happy for those guys, the Mythbusters'/science style stuff just strays too far away from the gadget/geek angle I liked about Tested so I'm not too sure how much the expanded content will appeal to me. Hopefully they don't stray too far.

Aaron

I was super pumped when I saw the site and realized how much Tested's audience is about to grow, but knew that the 'Adam & Jamie' tag was bound to really piss some people off. Look on the bright side. I can put my old style Tested mug up on ebay for big bucks!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Aside from the scary Jamie and Adam branding, I do like the website layout.

I hope that the crazy Tested fans chill out and let things happen as they may and see if they like how things turn out.

I feel really bad for Will and Norm, and how embarrassed they must be right now.

Top Bottom