• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, super uncool to be taking that to their forums and facebook. Christ, there's even people tweeting at Adam and Jamie directly. It's one thing for us to bitch in our little tucked away corner of the internet. Putting that shit front-and-center only hurts Will and Norm.

Tested had forums in its previous form. Most of their active members probably don't post on GAF. Don't think that we are the only one's outraged/disapproving of this change.

Yeah, super uncool to be taking that to their forums and facebook. Christ, there's even people tweeting at Adam and Jamie directly. It's one thing for us to bitch in our little tucked away corner of the internet. Putting that shit front-and-center only hurts Will and Norm.

I don't see what's so wrong about fans complaining on their official forums and Facebook page. They're created for fan interaction.

I agree tweeting the new dudes is a bit extreme, though.

Rapid fire from Will's twitter:

@willsmith said:
Working with Jamie and Adam is a MASSIVE OPPORTUNITY for Norm and I to grow and learn new amazing stuff. THIS IS A GOOD THING FOR US.
@willsmith said:
More to come as fast as I can write it, but please know that Norm and I are THRILLED about the new Tested. It's an awesome thing for us.
@willsmith said:
Just getting back on the Internet after shooting tons of video this morning. You guys need to calm down. @nchan and I aren't getting screwed

Azar

It may not help, but you can't expect people to not voice their opinions, especially when they are justified.
Constructive criticism is always a good thing, but the Internet isn't very good at posting comments without slathering them with fear or hate. You know the cycle: there's an overreaction, and then things hit an even keel, and then people are sheepish about their silliness or at least mollified. It'd be nice to skip the first phase once in awhile!

Heel

Well the community is super embarrassed with what happened to the website we love, so I guess that makes us even...

It may not help, but you can't expect people to not voice their opinions, especially when they are justified. What kind of idiot buys a personality and community-driven site, and then decides to straight up change the personalities and shit on the community?

It really makes zero sense.

Why not just commission a new site to be built? People went to Tested for the content by Norm and Will. Having them completely supplanted with some American TV stars is alienating. Not to mention they barely even acknowledge the website existed in a different form for the past two years. Big "fuck you" to the community.

Oh well, let's hope this all turns out for the best, but I think the guys who bought the site really handled this poorly.

You're guys are really overreacting, but hey this is the internet where overreacting reigns supreme.

Will and Norm aren't going anywhere. In fact, they now have a bigger budget to be even crazier. Shouldn't you be happy?

Wow Will and Norm must be super embarrassed by the Tested community. Sheesh.

I am sure Will/Norm expected this. It seems super obvious this was going to happen.

Tested, like Giant Bomb, is based around one thing - personality. People do not come to the site to see what Tested thinks about something, they come to the site to see what Will and Norm think about something, and they are interested to see what what Will and Norm are doing. 1000+ people tune into a live stream of Will talking in his home office for god sake.

Now the Mythbusters guys (their company, not themselves) are coming in, and (seem to be) stripping away all of that. What they are doing seems very bullish and forced

People would obviously get angry at this. Sure, they could get angry in a better way, and have more logic behind their criticism, and could do with calming down a bit, but even Ray Fucking Charles could see such a harsh re-branding was not going to go well.

And one last one:

@willsmith said:
Please, be excited for us. That Jamie and Adam liked the site @nchan and I built enough to put their names on it high praise.

Will is freaking out a little I think. I can't blame him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really, who are they trying to please?

The message from the defenders of this seems to be that the Mythbusters supplanted Will and Norm as the face to lure in a larger audience. But at the same time, Will and Norm will be producing almost all of the content. What is the point of this? People who come because of the Mythbusters are probably going to be disappointed when it's mostly just Will and Norm. People who are there for Will and Norm are going to be pissed that they don't get any recognition on their own site.

It's just really weird. I do look forward to seeing their first batches of non-article content.

Will in hard core damage control mode. I feel bad for him, people should let this play out.

Bold prediction: Adam's iPad 3 teardown will be posted. Will and Norm will be as off the cuff and goofy as ever. They'll fuck up Adam's iPad, hilarity and awkwardness will ensue. Everyone will stop bitching.

I'm aware. I've posted in those forums. And I'm not posting there now for the exact reason I just laid out. You're fucking up Will and Norm's spot by doing that.

I think people have the right to voice their complaints/worries. I want Will and Norm to be happy and successful, but if I was someone who posted on their forums and Facebook before I sure as hell wouldn't be censoring myself for their sake.

It just so happens GAF is the only place I post.

Heel

I mean he's freaking out because the fan reaction is spinning out of control. I can only imagine the position he's being put in with the negativity piling up. I would be freaking out myself.

Oh, okay. I think he's just trying to be the voice of reason in a cyclone of internet insanity.

A lot of you guys should just take a deep breath and wait for content to resume. You'll be okay!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm aware. I've posted in those forums. And I'm not posting there now for the exact reason I just laid out. You're fucking up Will and Norm's spot by doing that.

I'm not over there posting, personally, but I can't blame those who are too much.

People who were fans of Tested, were fans of Will, Norm, and Whiskey in general. The content is TBD, but overnight the stuff the fans loved changed. Imagine someone who was a fan of Tested and didn't pay attention to any of this yesterday. They visit the site today and see these two dudes who they may or may not know "welcoming everyone" and saying that they "finally got their own site".

You can't expect communities to be happy when they get sold off and have stuff changed so dramatically.

Heel

I'm not over there posting, personally, but I can't blame those who are too much.

People who were fans of Tested, were fans of Will, Norm, and Whiskey in general. The content is TBD, but overnight the stuff the fans loved changed. Imagine someone who was a fan of Tested and didn't pay attention to any of this yesterday. They visit the site today and see these two dudes who they may or may not know "welcoming everyone" and saying that they "finally got their own site".

You can't expect communities to be happy when they get sold off and have stuff changed so dramatically.

I'm sorry you find a website layout and a picture of two dudes so dramatic. Maybe you'll realize how silly that is when I put it so plainly.

Will and Norm are still going to do what they do, but with an even bigger budget. If you actually care about the content you should be excited.

Done trying to be the voice of reason. This thread will be a lot better once the dust settles.

jediyoshi

Fixed.

aSrnx.jpg

Dramatically? What has functionally changed other than the aesthetic differences?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Simmer down, everybody. Will and Norm posted as much content in one day today as they would in two weeks at ye olde Tested, with an iPad quick look coming tonight

Drakeon

Long as Will and Norm are ok with it, so am I. They seem really happy about it, could be bullshit, but to be completely fair, Jaime and Adam are way bigger names in the scheme of things.

Loving all the new content though, have to say.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry you find a website layout and a picture of two dudes so dramatic. Maybe you'll realize how silly that is when I put it so plainly.

Will and Norm are still going to do what they do, but with an even bigger budget. If you actually care about the content you should be excited.

Done trying to be the voice of reason. This thread will be a lot better once the dust settles.

Fixed.

Dramatically? What has functionally changed other than the aesthetic differences?

What I'm trying to say is that the new design sends the message that Will and Norm will not be the focus of the site as they once were. Personally, as long as the podcast continues to come out, I personally don't care, but I can see why lots of people are freaking out.

Look at the page. If you weren't reading the damage control, what would you think? The whole reason you visited Tested in the past completely supplanted by some new dudes.

I'm also curious what people who came over from Mythbusters think in regards to the damage control. They came to check the site out because they like Mythbusters, but all of the damage control says that Will and Norm--two guys they don't even know--will be providing the majority of the content.

Seems like a situation that really doesn't appeal to anyone.

Like I said before, I am both a Mythbusters and Tested guy. These 4 guys coming together should be amazing - however everything (currently) seems the exact opposite. There does not seem to be anything wrong the content, but in terms of PR today has been a monumental fuck up.

jediyoshi

Well the site attitude. It's no longer Norm and Will's website. That's a pretty big deal.
How is that a functional difference? You're getting the podcast, you're getting video content starring them and the way in which you access them look to be literally pulled out of the original design layout. What, specifically, is it out of the site that is affecting how you receive content? Does having to look past non iPad and coffee articles, most of which would still be written by Norm and Will anyway, have that much of a negative affect on you?

Top Bottom