• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

big_z

It's too bad cbsi didn't take tested as well. Someone mentioned They own cnet so tested would have been a good addition. Would have allowed them to keep creative control and give more access to tech.

The new site and logo looks awful but I will give it a chance. if things go sour and will and norm have to abort I really hope they stick together and make a new site.

tsigo

The backlash is hilarious. It's like those music douchebags who like a band, but don't want anyone else to like it or even know about it.

MythBusters is a great show, and Adam and Jamie seem like good dudes. It's a good match and it'll most likely be great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah man, fuck all those douchebags who have a negative reaction when something they like seemingly changes dramatically overnight without a whole lot of explanation! What a bunch of children!

Izick

cPYV1.png

Guys, I'm sure Will and Norm appreciate your support, but unfortunately sometimes that isn't enough to keep the lights on - eventually you have to turn a profit.

By some miracle Tested was able to find an almost perfectly compatible property to anchor itself to. Really we should be happy BermanBraun kept Will, Norm and Joey on to produce video content. They could have just of easily fired them and instead hire some minimum wage bloggers to fill content between the Adam and Jaime stuff.

I've witnessed some pretty nasty buy-outs and, by any standard, what's happened here is nothing short of a miracle.

TkDXs.jpg

There's no way. I don't believe it. I expected Giantbomb to be at the top, then a sizable gap, then tested, then a giant drop-off where the other sites fend for much smaller numbers.

Wow....I'm shocked. Tested didn't get the love it deserved. :(

EDIT: Also, I'm a little worried that it's Jamie and Adam's "site" now, which is weird because I love watching those guys, but I'm guessing we'll still see WillChan for the majority of the content, so it's all good.

sixghost

Yeah man, fuck all those douchebags who have a negative reaction when something they like seemingly changes dramatically overnight without a whole lot of explanation! What a bunch of children!

Did you listen to the podcast where they explain all this?

Dany

Banned
I loaded up tested and my first reaction was "WTF!?!?!" but reading Will's message on the boards cleared things up. I love the new design. He seems very committed in this.

Honestly, if Will and Norm are okay with this, then why not?

I'm finding it a bit annoying that all Will has said so far always revolved around the idea of "Stop whining, you guys should be happy for us"... Honestly I find that a bit egocentric.

Don't get me wrong, I love those guys! I've been following them for almost ten years now (I still have super old issues of PCGamer with "Norm the intern" and the Gary column at the end) and there's nothing I want more than for them to succeed, get bigger and reach more people.

I don't think there's anybody here who doesn't want them to grow bigger. The problems that people raised today is that, at first glance anyway (and the future will hopefully prove us wrong), they are growing bigger by moving away from the community that contributed to get Tested where it is right now.

The new site looks like a corporate publicity blog for a tv show (it looks like a blog subset of the Discovery channel website actually). They have terrible and lackluster forums, no way to interract with other users (hell we can't even see our own profile right now!), no quoting, no blogging, no way to send messages between users, etc.

Sure they'll get a ton of new users but how can they expect those new users to form a cohesive community if in the end most of the user activity will live in story comments?

I'm sure that at least some of these concerns will get fixed by the Top Men in the next couple of weeks but let's just say that they did one hell of a bad first impression today.

I'm not mad, I'm not screaming or saying stupid shit on Twitter to the Mythbusters guys, I'm just concerned about something I love and followed daily for the last two years.

They say that they will prove the doubter wrong with the content in the next couple of weeks so I trust them to deliver and I guess we'll see where the the site is in a couple of months and if they stayed true to their promises.

haha same. My first impression of the content of today is 'So it's like gizmodo?'. It will take a while to get used to fake outtakes stuff appearing on the site... It's probably the lack of videos during the past few weeks. I'm pretty stoked for the ipad video though.

Aaron

It's too bad cbsi didn't take tested as well. Someone mentioned They own cnet so tested would have been a good addition. Would have allowed them to keep creative control and give more access to tech.

The new site and logo looks awful but I will give it a chance. if things go sour and will and norm have to abort I really hope they stick together and make a new site.
Will made it clear early on that he never wanted Tested to be just about tech. I feel like this change is what he wanted the site to become all along, but it wasn't possible with the limited budget he had before. Making it just another tech site attached to Cnet would have been a shame.

Will and Norm could have gotten ahead of this change better, but I still feel this is the best possible result for them by far.

Poyunch

Really I'm just surprised Screened was above Tested. Nothing against Rorie or anything but Tested's output was so much higher.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Fuck off you limey git. If I have to bleep you, you'll just ratchet up the curse count so I have to bleep more.

You should have a video of Gary introducing himself but the audio is just one continuous
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Then at the end go to black screen with the message:
"The Tested Podcast is intended for mature audiences only."

Then do the splash screen with the new tested logo.

willsmith

"Welcome to our new site, Tested."

"We finally got our own site."

:/

I put this in a big forum thread over on Tested here (http://www.tested.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/43269-please-everyone-take-a-breath/) but basically Norm, Adam, Jamie, and I all worked on the script together. I should have telegraphed this better to existing users, but this video is for new users coming in who aren't familiar with Norm and I, you know, Jamie and Adam's massive fanbase.

The video we posted yesterday was for you guys. We couldn't give specifics about the new site out until today, but I'd hoped that you'd see that Norm and I are legitmately excited and trust that we're OK with this. Unfortunately, we were out shooting video when the new site went live, and things went to hell in a handbasket.

Lessons learned.

Emitan

I put this in a big forum thread over on Tested here (http://www.tested.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/43269-please-everyone-take-a-breath/) but basically Norm, Adam, Jamie, and I all worked on the script together. I should have telegraphed this better to existing users, but this video is for new users coming in who aren't familiar with Norm and I, you know, Jamie and Adam's massive fanbase.

The video we posted yesterday was for you guys. We couldn't give specifics about the new site out until today, but I'd hoped that you'd see that Norm and I are legitmately excited and trust that we're OK with this. Unfortunately, we were out shooting video when the new site went live, and things went to hell in a handbasket.

Lessons learned.

You trusted us to not be cynical as hell? I'm flattered

Dany

Banned
Curious to see what new video stuff you guys can do now and it really sucks that people have been harassing you two and Jamie/Adam.

Um, considering the 'fame' they own, the new design choices look awesome. I love the new layout, black/white and yellow looks rad. I love the logo, even though testiclies is gone.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hah! Will is making his way through the thread and responding from 5 pages ago! (I do 100 posts per page). I had to track back because I had no clue who he was responding to!

Hellooo from the future!!!!!!!!

eznark

Banned

Lessons learned.

I feel like you guys are taking the blowback too personally. Seems like everyone is absolutely thrilled for you guys on a personal and professional level. That said, most (including myself) are concerned about the future of the site. Of course you guys are excited, this is an amazing and incredible career leap forward. That said...aside from the past month Tested has been pretty much perfect. Now it is changing. Hopefully for the better but based on what people have seen so far, there is apprehension.

Izick

I still don't get why people freaked out about Jamie & Adam on the new Tested logo. If you put those guys up there, it attracts more of their fans, and thus ensues that more people see Will and Norm. (No offense to the guys, just saying that Jamie and Adam have a larger following since they're on TV.) That, and I'm sure once everything is settled, there will be a logo with all 4 once all the new fans come to love Tested as we all do. You need to put your best foot forward before you can run.

I'm really glad that Gary is staying on the podcast too. You guys all ways have the best conversations, and everyone has their own dynamic that makes the podcast so enjoyable. And if Gary weren't there, where else am I going to get my weekly dose of rampant Android basing?

The backlash is hilarious. It's like those music douchebags who like a band, but don't want anyone else to like it or even know about it.

MythBusters is a great show, and Adam and Jamie seem like good dudes. It's a good match and it'll most likely be great.

I think you have everything backways, and your analogy is incorrect.

When the Mythbusters thing first got announced (yesterday), everyone was happy. Check back a few pages, and there is a load of "OMG" and "WOW" style posts posted in this very thread. On Tested itself there was 500+ comments on the video with most people happy that Tested was working with the Mythbusters.

However, when the new site launched today, Adam and Jamie were doing a show of some kind. Will was recording Tested stuff and Norm was... I don't know. A video appears at the top of the site, with the Mythbusters using "our site" style language. Their names were everywhere, and Will and Norm is hardly mentioned anywhere. Don't forget that people love Tested because of Will and Norm. not just because it is Tested. Put all of that together, and it LOOKS like Will and Norm are getting pushed out. Looks,

It looked bad, and there was no one around to calm people down, so Twitter got vile, Tested comments got vile, comments on YouTube got vile, and Facebook got vile. A small percentage of people complained angrily a loudly (in the wrong direction), and another big percentage below them were a bit panicky - justifiably so IMO (as things looked bad)..

In a best case scenario, Will and Norm and the Mythbusters would have been running a live chat of some kind at the sites lauch, and then people would have seen there was nothing to worry about. People would have seen the four were working together, and everything looked good. Instead Adam/Jamie were everywhere, there was one new video from them, and they were the stars.

It is probably wrong for me to say it, but I still think people reacted in the right way to what they saw. There was enough factors in place to make them think something bad was happening to Tested, so they were right to complain, but yes, some people did take it to far.

It is good people have calmed now though - mostly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think you have everything backways, and your analogy is incorrect.

When the Mythbusters thing first got announced (yesterday), everyone was happy. Check back a few pages, and there is a load of "OMG" and "WOW" style posts posted in this very thread. On Tested itself there was 500+ comments on the video with most people happy that Tested was working with the Mythbusters.

However, when the new site launched today, Adam and Jamie were doing a show of some kind. Will was recording Tested stuff and Norm was... I don't know. A video appears at the top of the site, with the Mythbusters using "our site" style language. Their names were everywhere, and Will and Norm is hardly mentioned anywhere. Don't forget that people love Tested because of Will and Norm. not just because it is Tested. Put all of that together, and it LOOKS like Will and Norm are getting pushed out. Looks,

It looked bad, and there was no one around to calm people down, so Twitter got vile, Tested comments got vile, comments on YouTube got vile, and Facebook got vile. A small percentage of people complained angrily a loudly (in the wrong direction), and another big percentage below them were a bit panicky - justifiably so IMO (as things looked bad)..

In a best case scenario, Will and Norm and the Mythbusters would have been running a live chat of some kind at the sites lauch, and then people would have seen there was nothing to worry about. People would have seen the four were working together, and everything looked good. Instead Adam/Jamie were everywhere, there was one new video from them, and they were the stars.

It is probably wrong for me to say it, but I still think people reacted in the right way to what they saw. There was enough factors in place to make them think something bad was happening to Tested, so they were right to complain, but yes, some people did take it to far.

It is good people have calmed now though - mostly.

Yep. They shouldn't have jumped in with "Adam and Jamie" and "OUR site" and all that off the launch. Adam and Jamie should've been eased in better with or without the Mythbusters fans that haven't been to the site before.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This (and Loyd saying he was still going to contribute) is wonderful news.

And since I have asked everywhere else...Roku?

Lloyd will still contribute? Awesome! I love when he's on the podcast.

Curufinwe

I missed all the drama today... yesterday now cause of work, but I think the new Mythbuster Overlords will be great for the site and for Will & Norm.

Dany

Banned
Giant Bomb has among the worst gaming communities on the Internet. I expect better from Tested's, but obviously some Whiskey spillover is inevitable

Just because you don't post or are active on tested.com or giantbomb.com doesn't mean you aren't part of its community. Take a look at this topic, this isn't like you're sitting outside looking through a window inside of the 'party'.

Heel

This (and Loyd saying he was still going to contribute) is wonderful news.

Great news. I like the technical point of view he brings to the podcast discussions. When it comes to computer specs and all that good nerdy stuff, Loyd is the man.

Just because you don't post or are active on tested.com or giantbomb.com doesn't mean you aren't part of its community. Take a look at this topic, this isn't like you're sitting outside looking through a window inside of the 'party'.

Okay then. The giant bomb community that posts exclusively on their boards and spams their chat is one of the worst internet communities.

(I agree in saying we're part of the community "edit: as a whole", It's just man do those boards and chats suck.)

Dany

Banned
Okay then. The giant bomb community that posts exclusively on their boards and spams their chat is one of the worst internet communities.

We're all one man, I am part of you and you're part of me.

I turn off live chat, and the boards as as good as GAF...which is a weird way to qualify this discussion.

Emitan

(I agree in saying we're part of the community, It's just man do those boards and chats suck.)

It's always a shining beacon of light when I spot a GAF username in stream chat.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

(I agree in saying we're part of the community, It's just man do those boards and chats suck.)

I agree with this. I thought about contributing to their boards, but it was an absolute mess. 6 threads talking about the same thing but worded a different way in the thread title...

And don't get me started about the live chat. What a mess. The mods are useless over there. A lot of times they're contributing to the crap I see over there.

Edit:

...you're on gaf.
And there's a reason why I'm here talking about this instead of over there.

willsmith

Giant Bomb and Comic Vine were clearly the prize for CBS. That left Anime Vice and Tested to find some way to continue to exist. I wouldn't call this "selling out" as much as "trying to survive"

Tested struggled to attract a larger audience, and hopefully this will help them to gain that audience and continue to do their work for many years to come.

If getting to work with Jamie and Adam on a day to day basis is "trying to survive" in your universe, I can't imagine what a good day feels like. Infinity blowjobs, probably.

Izick

Wait, you all enable chat in the livestream videos, or check out their forums? Whenever the cast says "that's the internet being dumb," I kind have always figured that they were talking about their community.

Forums always suck, unless they're:

A.) Well moderated, and there is some kind of gate to get in. (No commercial, free email, so bans mean something) like Gaf.

B.) The community is very small

Top Bottom