• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Zaph

Those numbers are dramatically low. According to our analytics, Tested was third in uniques behind GB and CV.
Sorry, didn't mean to start/spread misinformation. Dave linked to Quantcast several times in the past, so I assumed that verified their accuracy (as well as the whole 'Directly Measured' thing).

But anyway, the point I was trying to get across was that Tested never really had the budget/audience to be the site it always wanted it to be. Now, having the fucking Mythbusters as the support infrastructure of a lifetime, we might actually get to see the real Tested.

I say 'real Tested' because, while I'm sure you and Norm (and others) worked very hard on it, I never felt the site lived up to its promise. It became a site with the occasional very good video, a great podcast, but a lot of tech blog post filler.

Can't wait to see what you guys do now that you have an actual budget!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Will, Norm, don't let the negativity bog you down. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I don't really give a shit about the other two guys, but if they're elevating the shit out of the site and pouring in all the money, resources and actual knowhow, provided they're producing content, why shouldn't they pimp themselves? WWYD?

Hope you still got a good website dude though, considering all the stuff that's broken as a result of the transition.

adam-jamie-norm-will.png

RECOGNITION (on the about page) + Twitter feeds on the front page.

I'm feeling better and better about this.

marrec

Banned
Will, Norm, don't let the negativity bog you down. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I don't really give a shit about the other two guys, but if they're elevating the shit out of the site and pouring in all the money, resources and actual knowhow, provided they're producing content, why shouldn't they pimp themselves? WWYD?

Hope you still got a good website dude though, considering all the stuff that's broken as a result of the transition.

I can't speak for Jamie, but Adam Savage is an officially ordained cool muthafucka who has been wanting to do something like this for a long time. Any time you listen to or talk to him outside of his TV world he seems genuinely into this kind of stuff and very knowledgeable about it.

Hopefully this is an enterprise that he is controlling and not his bosses at Discovery.

itsgreen

I am not really a tested follower, but to me it's kind of weird that Norm and Will build this site up and now basically a sticker is put over them that says Jamie and Adam's Tested.com...

That is kind of weird to me.

Don't get me wrong I love Myth Busters, like Jamie and think Adam is awesome, the combination of those two is great.

But to me it is just wrong that Jamie and Adam are put to the front of the site in such a way...

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
This thread is just going in circles at this point.

Looking forward to the iPad breakdown, it's been awhile since Will did one of those

VVV No, not live. Will filmed it yesterday and will be posted today(?)

Megasoum

Banned
I hope they buy or turn the microphones on next time because the audio in that iPad quicklook is appalling.

Yeah I just asked Will the same thing on Twitter. By the look of things it doesn't look like they have clip mics on so they must be using the boom mic on the camera.

They shot that at Norm's house so they probably don't have all the equipment available with them right now. It will probably take them a couple of days to get everything set up (as expected of course).

eznark

Banned
Yeah I just asked Will the same thing on Twitter. By the look of things it doesn't look like they have clip mics on so they must be using the boom mic on the camera.

They shot that at Norm's house so they probably don't have all the equipment available with them right now. It will probably take them a couple of days to get everything set up (as expected of course).

A couple days may be aggressive. It doesn't sound like they have office space yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The youtube streaming on their site when using an ipad is shitty quality. But using the youtube app makes the quality much better. Is there any way to fix this? On an ipad there are no quality options in the embedded youtube videos. I hate using the youtube app, you cant browse the internet while airplaying from the app.

Aaron

The new site almost browses really well on the iphone. It starts really zoomed out for some reason, but when you double tap the column everything looks great. Much better than the previous mobile version.

Gattsu25

Banned
I hoped that you guys would trust us. I learned never to assume that. We all (Norm, Jamie, Adam, and I) wrote the copy for that video together. It's our site now--Norm's, Jamie's, Adam's, and mine. That's why I'm so fucking excited. Their names are at the top, because we knew that you guys trusted us, that you're probably OK with them too. Their audience doesn't know us, so we're going to let them get to know us with our content.
Yeah, that's what I assumed was going on. Congrats on the staff increase :D

I imagine you are as giddy as can be, now that you are working with Jamie and Adam

eznark

Banned
Hm, the screen not leaping out at you is a pretty interesting observation. I assumed normal people on the street would feel that way but technophiles would immediately claim that their eyes were burning with the amazing new display.

I'm guessing that coupled with the price point will have a whole lot of people entering the market with the iPad 2.

If you guys get a chance, I'd love to see some handwriting comparisons. See if the increased resolution enhances the experience I already love hand writing on the iPad but will probably buy this thing more quickly than I am planning on if that is significantly improved.

Draft

I hoped that you guys would trust us. I learned never to assume that. We all (Norm, Jamie, Adam, and I) wrote the copy for that video together. It's our site now--Norm's, Jamie's, Adam's, and mine.
Someone must have uploaded the wrong logo. It only says Jamie and Adam.

Emitan

The funny thing is all of this drama has made me look at the tested site more often, usually I just listen to the podcast.

Forcing YouTube on me really hurting.

I was going too look at the iPad Quick Look, but YouTube is already getting antsy with me, so I open iTunes, see the latest iPad Today (Twit) is downloaded, so I looked at that instead.

After one video, I am already drifting away from Wiill/Norm. I am sorry!!

Yeah this Youtube thing fucking sucks. It's not the biggest task ever to open a program, copy the Youtube link and then paste it in to download it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

On Tested before I clicked one button and it was downloading in HD. Simple. Now you've added more hurdles and it's just a complete step backwards. Random, smaller videos I watched before I probably won't now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Let's at least wait for them to get a proper office set up before judging their videos.

I can't say I'm a fan of the audio or "artsy" style of the iPad video today, but it was still the same old Will and Norm. Hopefully things will get a little more back to normal once they get settled in.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I can't say I'm a fan of the audio or "artsy" style of the iPad video today, but it was still the same old Will and Norm.

What is this "artsy" style you are talking about? You do know they filmed this in Norm's house right?

Yeah this Youtube thing fucking sucks. It's not the biggest task ever to open a program, copy the Youtube link and then paste it in to download it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

On Tested before I clicked one button and it was downloading in HD. Simple. Now you've added more hurdles and it's just a complete step backwards. Random, smaller videos I watched before I probably won't now.

With RSS feeds for videos, I could wake up / come home from work and have list of Giant Bomb / Tested video waiting for me to watch in HD in iTunes. That was perfect.

I woke up this morning, and there was a Binary Domain Quick Look already downloaded, and ready to look at in iTunes.. that's probably 700MB at least. I did not need to think about it, it was there... I did not have to wait for 700MB to download, I just watched. I did not have to decide "should I bother to download this," I just watched.

I realize it is a "first world problem" thing, but not having stuff to hand like that is already hurting my enjoyment of Tested - and that is just one video in to the "new" Tested. I fully know it going to end up with me forgetting, giving up on the site down the line.

Even if Tested does get better, and produces better content, it is hard to care when the site distributes videos in the same way a Reply Girl does

Yes, I am comparing Will and Norm to Reply Girls!

What browser do you use?

Chrome. Latest version, which automatically downloaded (like Tested videos used to) last night

Do not tell me to change, as Chrome never once gave me big problems with anything - which is why I moved from IE and Firefox in the first place.

R2D4

Banned
Chrome. Latest version, which automatically downloaded (like Tested videos used to) last night

Do not tell me to change, as Chrome never once gave me big problems with anything - which is why I moved from IE and Firefox in the first place.

I'm not telling you to change. I use Chrome too and the video works fine for me.

I'm not telling you to change. I use Chrome too and the video works fine for me.

I can get the video to play fine (to begin with), although using Youtube to stream a 200MB+ video is not something that ever really works for me. In fact, using YouTube for anything more than looking at someone's cat be cute for 30 seconds is something I never want to do.

I can put the YouTube link into JDownloader, which give me the option to download, which I guess is fine, but is adds about 3 steps into something which used to be automatic, and has happened whilst I slept for the past 2 years on Tested/GB/Screened ect.

Sure, none of this is the end of the world, but is is annoying. I am sure anyone that bought a Roku Box is as annoyed as I am, as the removal of RRS feeds for video hurts them too. I thought Tested was also one of the most downloaded Roku channels, so I am sure that is hurting viewer numbers too.

I knew all of this was going to happen as soon as Will uploaded the Mythbusters introduction as a YouTube embed, and I knew it would affect the way I use this site. It is just a shame it is now actually happening.

Megasoum

Banned
Let's at least wait for them to get a proper office set up before judging their videos.

I can't say I'm a fan of the audio or "artsy" style of the iPad video today, but it was still the same old Will and Norm. Hopefully things will get a little more back to normal once they get settled in.

Will said somewhere (Twitter I think) today that they shot that video using a SLR and they worked with people other than the usual people (So no Joey I imagine).

He said he liked the experience of working with the SLR but that they were going back to the old hardware asap.

I guess it's just part of process of them moving office. Same reason they don't actually have mics in that video and only use the boom mic on the camera.

There are Chrome extensions that add a simple download button above any YouTube video. Personally I've never had a problem with YouTube. It's probably the most stable video service I've ever used. It works every time for me regardless of browser, video length, quality, size etc. Has done for years on numerous computers.

Plus I really like having a middle-sized window. Some of the shorter vids I don't want to watch full screen, but I don't want to have a small window either and YouTube has the perfect options for me. I always watched Whiskey videos via YouTube whenever possible.

Top Bottom