• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

So when I download their vids from Youtube it's in FLV, which doesn't like streaming to my consoles much as I can't rewind/fast forward without it throwing a fit. Not only is it more of a pain to download, but to get the streaming experience I had before I'd then have to convert the files. Ridiculous.

Will + Norm, I know you read this, so if my opinion matters for anything I want you to know I won't be bothering with any Tested video content until it's back hosted on the site rather than Youtube. I want to support the new site but this is more hassle than it's worth. I've just had to import the iPad 3 vid in to my video editor to save it as a different file and wait for it to render again, which I realised simply isn't worth the time it takes.

So when I download their vids from Youtube it's in FLV, which doesn't like streaming to my consoles much as I can't rewind/fast forward without it throwing a fit. Not only is it more of a pain to download, but to get the streaming experience I had before I'd then have to convert the files. Ridiculous.
That is YT fault not tested, and their are very good extensions for YT that download 720/1080p .mp4 right from youtube, I use that to download a lot from YT and stream it to my console.
Very every easy.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/
Chrome: http://www.chromeextensions.org/other/easy-youtube-video-downloader/

R2D4

Banned
That is YT fault not tested, and their are very good extensions for YT that download 720/1080p .mp4 right from youtube, I use that to download a lot from YT and stream it to my console.
Very every easy.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/

How do you download a video after installing that? I don't see anything added with it installed.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Didn't know so many of you guys actually download all the videos.

...on the next episode of Hoarders.

I watch the stuff in bed so it's easier to have it downloaded and stream to my TV than duplicate my monitor or extend it on to my TV, bring over my keyboard and mouse, load up the website, find the vid, etc etc. I just have one Tested folder where I can find all the vids via my consoles.

Not to mention bandwidth issues. By downloading a vid if I ever want to watch it again I don't need to use more of my monthly allowance, which is quite restrictive.

I agree, the Mythbusters seem like would integrate well (when they have the time), although after digging around the Internet, BermanBraun (Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun) seem like they will be a bit more pushy than Whiskey used to be. Bing searchbars, sponsored content, strong adverting, and MSN integration seem like trademarks of their other sites, which is bad.

Hopefully Tested will be seen as seprate entity, and we wont be visiting tested.msn.com in the future.

Hold up

lloyd.jpg

If you're gonna download them from YouTube just to watch them on your console, why not just watch them through the YouTube app at that point? The app isn't great but it's probably a little less work.

My TV is constantly hooked up via HDMI for gaming, but that doesn't mean I want to bring my KB/M with me to bed every time I want to watch some vids. It's nice to reach other and just use a pad that's already there.

Plus, as I said earlier, there are bandwidth issues.

I think I found a better way to re-brand Tested.

dzfB2.jpg
YLi1C.jpg

Chloe is huge. She is 120 times more popular than the Mythbusters. Getting the opportunity to work with her is massive step up for Norm and Will. She is the real deal--she's a mad dog, with 100% emphasis on dog. They should talk with her about that she wants the site to be.

Izick

Will + Norm, I know you read this, so if my opinion matters for anything I want you to know I won't be bothering with any Tested video content until it's back hosted on the site rather than Youtube. I want to support the new site but this is more hassle than it's worth. I've just had to import the iPad 3 vid in to my video editor to save it as a different file and wait for it to render again, which I realised simply isn't worth the time it takes.

Very every easy.

Not to get too off-topic, but I've always really wondered. Is it okay/legal to use those extensions to download videos off sites? I've always wondered because you're kind of downloading a video when you just stream it, right, can sites even tell the difference? (Not sure how video streaming works, but that's what I've been told in the past; not sure if true.)

Megasoum

Banned
Wait...Will&Norm's Twitter feeds have disappeared again from the homepage?

Yeah, looks like the Top Men team B (who's taking care of Tested/screened now that Team A went to CBSi) is still experimenting with the site. I imagine they will fix thing in the next couple of days.

It's the week-end for everybody!

Not to get too off-topic, but I've always really wondered. Is it okay/legal to use those extensions to download videos off sites? I've always wondered because you're kind of downloading a video when you just stream it, right, can sites even tell the difference? (Not sure how video streaming works, but that's what I've been told in the past; not sure if true.)

It almost certainly isn't legal.

Izick

Really? So is there a difference between actually downloading the file, and watching it and letting the flash load all the way? Could the downloader get in trouble?

I've always wondered this stuff, but it's never came up before in conversation. :p

Well, I would assume there are laws about it being uploaded for streaming and then different laws about you taking that file and putting it on your HDD forever.

I've never cared enough to look in to it, but I think it's safe to assume that technically most things like that are illegal. If it's up on a site for download and Youtube you're probably fine DLing it, if you're ripping a file off Youtube that isn't up for download there's probably legal issues. It depends on the content and site, I guess.

panda21

this new ipad video is super echoey. needs less echo.

really? i'm pretty sure it isn't. hell RealPlayer has an official program for downloading youtube videos.

for something like netflix i could see it being illegal, but i'm not sure even that is so long as you dont copy it for other people.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, I would assume there are laws about it being uploaded for streaming and then different laws about you taking that file and putting it on your HDD forever.

With the right settings, couldn't you have the cached stream on your HDD forever without realizing it?

this new ipad video is super echoey. needs less echo.

I'd be super interested to know the split between Tested & GB in terms of the office supplies and also how they are handling the backend software. Are they just literally going to fork the code and let Giant Bomb still use the WM platform? Or will Giant Bomb have to develop a new platform from scratch because BermanBraun bought the WM platform?

In terms of the microphones, my guess is that stuff went to GB because Tested will be working with TV folks who already have all of that equipment.

I'd be super interested to know the split between Tested & GB in terms of the office supplies and also how they are handling the backend software. Are they just literally going to fork the code and let Giant Bomb still use the WM platform? Or will Giant Bomb have to develop a new platform from scratch because BermanBraun bought the WM platform?

In terms of the microphones, my guess is that stuff went to GB because Tested will be working with TV folks who already have all of that equipment.

Man, divorce is rough. I am not sure who got what, but I think it was confirmed Jeff got the kid though.

qhFGnl.jpg

Now he will have to grow up in a split home. Poor little guy.

Hopefully Will gets to visit on the weekends.

Zaph

BermanBraun now own the WM platform, developers Andy, Coonce etc will continue working on it and eventually it will be utilized on more sites within that network.

Currently CBSi licenses the platform for GB and ComicVine, however Jeff has confirmed this is only temporary and a new platform is in the works. Whether this 'new' platform is completely new, or just an existing CBSi one with some Dave/Alexis magic is unknown. Jeff also confirmed user data and wiki points will carry over to the new platform, but judging by his past comments regarding some of the nonsense within the GB wiki, expect major changes to the wiki.

eznark

Banned
I'm over my initial hatred towards change and am now totally looking forward to this week. Hopefully the site is functional because I'm guessing the content will be great.

Will, we need a Battle Academy app of the day. A $20 strategy war game for the iPad!

Poyunch

At least if there's a Celebrity Amazing Race Will and Norm have a better chance this time. They're famous enough being associated with Mythbusters now but not too famous that the show runners won't have to worry about buying them.

JABEE

I think I found a better way to re-brand Tested.

dzfB2.jpg
YLi1C.jpg

Chloe is huge. She is 120 times more popular than the Mythbusters. Getting the opportunity to work with her is massive step up for Norm and Will. She is the real deal--she's a mad dog, with 100% emphasis on dog. They should talk with her about that she wants the site to be.

She should test the "new iPad."

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There is nothing illegal about downloading embeds. Absolutely nothing. How did you get the idea?

Sites can write something into their ToS to the effect of "if our awesome detection mechanism detects your downloading of our videos, you're out". That's really the maximum punishment you can expect. Your account would be closed. O noes

Realize that you really can't view any video without downloading it. You're constantly downloading sites. They're on your HDD. At the very least as long as you can view any piece of content, it is on your system. If you're assembling streamed chunks into a synched named A/V container of a common format, then that's cool shit; the end.

What might be construed as illegal is the following:
— A site builds a proprietary technology that prevents you from copying streamed video (let's say, a player that does the buffering by itself, and encrypts the buffered chunks)
— This piece of technology contains a DRM method, and it is clearly marked as such
— You reverse-engineer the methodology to then devise a method of circumventing this content-copying barrier in a generic manner with a new piece of software

But even in that case, it depends on the country you're in. And it still wouldn't be the copying itself that'd be illegal, but rather the hacking. And it would be a civil case; there'd be nothing illegal in and of itself in the hacking, meaning the site would have to sue you as the person who broke into their piece of technology. A judge would have to make a ruling. That is some grey zone shit.

All of this is way more intricate than downloading a YouTube MP4. YouTube exposes the location of the MP4s on their sites. So go ahead and use DownloadHelper or whatever else floats your boat. YT can handle the traffic, there's no harm in any of it.

Very every easy.

Agreed, and I have an excellent chrome extention for that. BUT, one of the main (if not THE main reason) I subscribed was for the ability to download videos to be able to watch them on the go/commute. And I subscribed for the year, so I can't just cancel when the month ends.

Hopefully, this is just temporary. Looking forward to the first proper full week of content!

h3ro

Anyone know how I can get the Tested RSS feed back? The old Whiskey media one isn't updating anymore.

Ditto for the iTunes feed.

Anyone know how I can get the Tested RSS feed back? The old Whiskey media one isn't updating anymore.

Ditto for the iTunes feed.

Unavailable currently for both, but the news feed is apparently been worked on

iTunes will never come back, unless they drop YouTube for video

I believe the audio podcast is still a valid feed.

h3ro

Thanks, but doesn't look like either is working with itunes right now.

Hope they're able to remedy the situation.

Thanks, but doesn't look like either is working with itunes right now.

Hope they're able to remedy the situation.

I am able to get a podcast downloading in iTunes no problem - it's an old episode though, as I already have all the recent stuff downloaded

ixjhD9KvzrrVu.jpg

If Thursday's episode does not auto download, I will officially proclaim Adam and Jamie are the devil

Top Bottom