• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

eznark

Banned
Great episode. I almost drove off the highway when Will, completely oblivious to the fact that he is perhaps the largest and most varied snob on the internets, said people will get snobbish about just about anything on the internet.

Fantastic episode this week.

MasLegio

Banned
regarding backup in latest episode you should suggest people to have physical offsite backups as well.

a bimonthly or monthly backup to an external drive or usb stick that you store at a relative, friend or in a bank vault. Cause if there is a fire or a break in it does not matter if it is on a separate drive if it gets stolen or destroyed in a fire.

Also having an inventory of your physical stuff on this drive would also be a good idea if there is a fire or break in. Makes it easier to claim insurance for your stuff, as well as remembering what might have been destroyed or stolen. Taking photos of your apartment/house and the things (of value) in it and storing them on the drive does not take that long.

Jintor

Great episode. I almost drove off the highway when Will, completely oblivious to the fact that he is perhaps the largest and most varied snob on the internets, said people will get snobbish about just about anything on the internet.

Hilarious phrase, and pretty accurate, too.

We love ya Will!

eznark

Banned
This is starting to get into that sort of Giant Bomb fan levels of creepily interested in the lives of these people but...anyone else curious as to why Will thought it was the district attorney's office faxing him documents?

sixghost

This is starting to get into that sort of Giant Bomb fan levels of creepily interested in the lives of these people but...anyone else curious as to why Will thought it was the district attorney's office faxing him documents?

Wasn't it because his number is 1 digit off from the DA's office fax number? Maybe I'm making that up.

willsmith

If I spend money on something, I want it to be the best that I can get for that money. That doesn't make me a snob. It makes me a smart consumer.

eznark

Banned
If I spend money on something, I want it to be the best that I can get for that money. That doesn't make me a snob. It makes me a smart consumer.

Sure sure, you're better than those other snobs because you're hoity-toity for a legit reason! A true snobs snob, Will.

Great episode, just wanted to point out some neat trivia after the soda caffeine discussion.

Coca Cola still has coca leaf in it.

Granted, the cocaine has been removed from the leaves itself, but its still in there. The sole importer of coca leaves in the United States, the Stepan Company, extracts the cocaine and sells it to Mallinckrodt, the only legal source of cocaine in the United States. The dried and used from Stepan are sold to Coca Cola.

willsmith

No one man can be an expert on the number of things Will looks down upon.

In fairness, I wouldn't describe myself as an expert, outside of a few really computer products, and I haven't kept up with that much since leaving Maximum PC. I wouldn't even say that I'm a coffee expert at this point, although I've learned a ton in the last few years.

LiK

In fairness, I wouldn't describe myself as an expert, outside of a few really computer products, and I haven't kept up with that much since leaving Maximum PC. I wouldn't even say that I'm a coffee expert at this point, although I've learned a ton in the last few years.

what about tea? :)

eznark

Banned
I am tired of all the Lego talk. They talk almost as much about Lego as tech at this point.
Look what the Easter Bunny brought my daughter!

SnuuB.jpg

Tested has quickly become one of my favorite podcasts! Great show this week.
I was really into that whole coffee discussion, more specifically, I was wondering why "coffee elitists" laugh at nespresso machines? Is it the price/quality ratio? Or do people legitimately not like it? I have one of the machines and it's just so convenient and find the coffee very solid. Just wanted your thoughts

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tested has quickly become one of my favorite podcasts! Great show this week.
I was really into that whole coffee discussion, more specifically, I was wondering why "coffee elitists" laugh at nespresso machines? Is it the price/quality ratio? Or do people legitimately not like it? I have one of the machines and it's just so convenient and find the coffee very solid. Just wanted your thoughts

It is kinda bad for the environment (if you don't recycle the pods) and the coffee is nowhere as good as a properly brewed long black or espresso.

I do like it though. Nice and convenient in the morning and is much better than instant coffee dreck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I saw Norm at the Jeff Mangum concert tonight in Oakland. Lost him in the crowd before I could say hi.

Concert was unbelievable.

Azar

I saw Norm at the Jeff Mangum concert tonight in Oakland. Lost him in the crowd before I could say hi.

Concert was unbelievable.
You bet your ass it was. Where were you sitting? We had terrible seats, second to last row in AA. Didn't matter one bit, though.

Looking over the site recently, a lot of the new videos seem to be small under 5 minute things. I am probably jumping to conclusions, but I hope BermanBraun are not forcing the "long form video does not work on the Internet" mindset on Tested. That was one of the things that made the Whiskey family a bit special.

I'm bored of the Lego talk too. There's only so much you can talk about putting toy blocks together. There's been nothing interesting about it for ages.

I know they're all obsessed now but they can at least not talk about it on the podcast.

Aaron

Looking over the site recently, a lot of the new videos seem to be small under 5 minute things. I am probably jumping to conclusions, but I hope BermanBraun are not forcing the "long form video does not work on the Internet" mindset on Tested. That was one of the things that made the Whiskey family a bit special.
Tested videos have always been pretty short. They're not doing quicklooks over there.

Zaph

Can't say I've noticed a difference.

Unlike Giant Bomb, Tested have always mixed it up between short and long form video. Building a computer or shooting a quick look at a new major product? Grab a drink and get comfy. An app video or quick look at an iterative upgrade? Probably under 5 min.

Worth noting they've also been doing a lot of on-location videos recently, and generally speaking those have to be shorter because you're occupying other people's time (as well as other logistical reasons). Oh and their video page now includes content they did not produce, so that probably brings down the perceived average video duriation.

willsmith

No one has given us any instructions about video length. Stuff we're shooting now is a bit limited because we're shooting everything in two 3 or 4 hour windows at Norm's house, or on location.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm bored of the Lego talk too. There's only so much you can talk about putting toy blocks together. There's been nothing interesting about it for ages.

I know they're all obsessed now but they can at least not talk about it on the podcast.

I bought one set (Imperial Shuttle) and that was enough to satisfy me.

I think Gary will be in for a rude awakening when he decides to sell off his Lego. I'm trying to dump my complete, mint condition Shuttle for 70% its value and nobody wants to bite.

Short videos are perfectly fine with me. I don't know how you guys have the time to watch all this stuff.

eznark

Banned
NOT YOU TOO

It's awesome for playing with my daughter. It's about the only thing that keeps her sitting still for more than a few minutes at a time. I have no idea how legos keep adults so entertained, though. If they put out some sports stadiums that I care about I will bite just because they'd be cool in an office, but other than that I don't really get it. I don't mind the conversation about it though.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm moving relatively soon, so I've been selling off most of my possessions. Having a closet full of Lego would drive me crazy with my new minimalist lifestyle. I'll probably have to clearance my Lego Imperial Shuttle at 50% off to get rid of it.

Speaking of which, does anybody have experience using a MiFi hotspot on the road? I'm going to be driving across the country and am thinking about buying a used Verizon MiFi and one month of data to have a Wi-Fi cloud in my car. Gary loves his MiFi, but I've been reading the Verizon support forums and getting scared because it's nothing but people complaining about frequent disconnects and unreliable service.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just have to say that I get angry/jealous whenever I see Norm's Star Wars posters in their videos. I wonder how much longer they will haunt me?

Lmao @ at the start of the show

Will warning people that this podcast has naughty language
Gary: "By way of demonstration: FUCK!" "Just in case you thought we were bluffing!"

<3 Gary

edit: My god Will O.O so much squirrel hate lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I was hoping that there would be videos of the Star Trek Experience but I guess that was all locked down to prevent bootlegs. I wish you could watch how it was all supposed to work as a patron taking the ride... especially since it doesn't exist anymore.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guy I need some help.

Can anybody suggest a good podcast player on windows? I've been using iTunes for a while but let's face it, iTunes for Windows is the worst piece of crap I have ever installed.

Any good alternative that would let me manage/download and play my favorite podcasts?

Anybody else find themselves not bothering to read the week's articles because the guys always discuss their write ups on the podcast?

funny enough, that usually just makes me go read it afterwards if it's interesting. Their site is still hard to navigate, so it's quite easy to miss something.

Top Bottom