• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Sous Vide video was awesome! I will be trying this out soon. Can someone find a vacuum sealer for under $50?

Also, Gary, check out www.canistream.it/.
That should help with the streaming problems until everything is everywhere.

Megasoum

Banned
3927340_460s_v1.jpg

mik83kuu

Banned
Will just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about squirrels (I'm an expert), but eating seeds and doing acrobatics are huge part of their lives. It's not like with birds who can eat all they want and fly the fuck off when the food is gone. If a squirrel can't get food, it can't survive the winter, and the only way to get get food sometimes is to ninja it from bird feeders.

What Will's hostility means is the squirrels, after not getting fed enough, are not going to live another winter, nor will they be able to look cute and cuddly when their fur goes to shit from malnutrition. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Will has fucked an entire species with this move.

Will, publicly apologize and make amends to the squirrel or you can kiss this listener goodbye.

I take offense at Gary's characterization of the squirrel as some sort of inferior being to Will. Unlike Will, the squirrel's only mission in life is survival. It doesn't care about Sous Vide, or Lego, or fancy coffee. It's only looking out for Number One. Therefore, it is more fit to battle head to head against a Renaissance Man like Will Smith, who has grown lazy and accustomed to his "bird feeder" lifestyle. I put my money on a squirrel any day. Unless Will grows a pair and goes all Katniss on the squirrel, he will always lose.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
While we wait for Tested's NAB coverage, Freddie Wong had pretty funny coverage of video equipment and badge shenanigans at NAB. If you don't know him, chances are you've seen at least one of his videos and his crew is IMO the most talented full-time Youtubers who actually deserve the fame.

Give it a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAH5q4G3Rc

If Tested hits a dry spell, I recommend Knives Quest 2012 and Stand-up Desk Quest 2012, partly for selfish reasons since I'll be going through both quests myself ;)
The benefits of stand-up desks: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...he-who-sits-the-most-dies-the-soonest/256101/
http://smarterware.org/7102/how-and-why-i-switched-to-a-standing-desk

I want to get an adjustable height desk so that I can both stand up and sit down

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I cooked a steak tonight using the sous vide method. I used a freezer ziplock bag, a pot, and a steamer basket for my rig. It was cooked well but I did a really poor job of forming a crust. Our grill is way underpowered for this application, and a stainless skillet on high didnt really do an adequate job, at least after the 45 seconds I gave each side.

I want to do it again with ablow torch. The steak only tasted ok with such a poor crust/sear.

eznark

Banned
Will, when are we going to see some fruits from the "learning to machine" labor?

I'm thinking about learning to weld for the hell of it and it reminded me that you went through the whole machine shop tutorial.

While I'm sure Will and Norm appreciate their new format of reporting on more things they find interesting, I can't help but feel that Tested has really moved away from my interests. I pretty much exclusively went to Tested for tech reviews and hands-on videos. While I know that there are a lot of sites that already do that, I trust Will and Norm's opinions on technology like the Kindle, headphones, and even random things like capacitive touch gloves, and they have great personalities to make things like hands-on videos really interesting. Now it seems like nearly every video is just a segment from a random Discovery Channel show, with the tech geek stuff really pushed to the backburner, with a few random exceptions.

This isn't to say that the new format is bad; it's just a personal opinion/lamentation.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
While I'm sure Will and Norm appreciate their new format of reporting on more things they find interesting, I can't help but feel that Tested has really moved away from my interests. I pretty much exclusively went to Tested for tech reviews and hands-on videos. While I know that there are a lot of sites that already do that, I trust Will and Norm's opinions on technology like the Kindle, headphones, and even random things like capacitive touch gloves, and they have great personalities to make things like hands-on videos really interesting. Now it seems like nearly every video is just a segment from a random Discovery Channel show, with the tech geek stuff really pushed to the backburner, with a few random exceptions.

This isn't to say that the new format is bad; it's just a personal opinion/lamentation.

I dunno about that, they are still very tech-focused in their videos and podcasts... I don't mind the science stuff and it is pretty much confined to write-ups on the site.

They're still in transition, I'm sure it'll all settle down in due course and we will find out where Tested is going.

conclusion to that statement is they need an office and place to film and test products again.
It will come to that once again.
but for now I'm fine with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'll agree with that. As a result, I've pretty much stopped visiting the website in the last couple of weeks. I still enjoy the podcast, though. I look forward to seeing if things change once they get an office. They are going to get an office, right?

I'll agree with that. As a result, I've pretty much stopped visiting the website in the last couple of weeks. I still enjoy the podcast, though. I look forward to seeing if things change once they get an office. They are going to get an office, right?
Yes they are looking for space as we speak.

mik83kuu

Banned
Personally I can't wait for them to get an office. They seem to spend just a little too much of their time chasing squirrels and a not enough on work. I hope to see a Tested where they actually do stuff other than stand in front of a camera and talk, sit at Will's house and talk or post other people's work they found online and talk (write).

Hope they get an office soon.

Yeah I don't visit much anymore, especially because browsing videos on my phone is awful on their site.

FStop7

Banned
Personally I can't wait for them to get an office. They seem to spend just a little too much of their time chasing squirrels and a not enough on work. I hope to see a Tested where they actually do stuff other than stand in front of a camera and talk, sit at Will's house and talk or post other people's work they found online and talk (write).

Hope they get an office soon.

Yeah, they're too good to be relegated to becoming a pair of aggregators.

I saw the new podcast show up on my ipod and went to go grab my headphones only to see my dog chewing on them. I grabbed them and said "these better work because I love tested more that I love you." Harsh, but true

Only one side works :(

sixghost

This is the best episode in a long time. It's too bad Brad isn't a permanent 4th chair. He's surprisingly knowledgeable about most of the sciencey stuff they talk about and he always fits in well.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just got around to listening.

Will, please please please please please please please please please please please please please please change the podcast music back to what it was. The awful, awful dubstep 'remix' or whatever it is intro is bad and awful. Maybe if it was good dubstep it would receive less pleases, but the two-year-old intro was and is perfect. I don't understand the need to change it.

Jintor

I'm going to fly round to Will's house and dump a freaking tribe of squirrels on his birdfeeder if he doesn't change it back!

If you're

- a blue, native space tribe
- a space mouse
- a space bunny
- a Martian colonist
- part of the driving public
- or a holodeck simulation

I'm sorry to inform you that Gary doesn't give a fuck about your life.

FStop7

Banned
Just got around to listening.

Will, please please please please please please please please please please please please please please change the podcast music back to what it was. The awful, awful dubstep 'remix' or whatever it is intro is bad and awful. Maybe if it was good dubstep it would receive less pleases, but the two-year-old intro was and is perfect. I don't understand the need to change it.

Preview of the new theme song

Darklord

Banned
If you're

- a blue, native space tribe
- a space mouse
- a space bunny
- a Martian colonist
- part of the driving public
- or a holodeck simulation

I'm sorry to inform you that Gary doesn't give a fuck about your life.

I can just imagine him writing the episode of The Walking Dead game. "Yeah that kids gonna die. Have the zombies rip her face off, that'll be great! And the old man too. He can fuck off. I wouldn't be helping some old guy in a zombie apocalypse. What am I? An aged care worker? He'll be dead soon anyway."

eznark

Banned
The barrista comp talk has me rolling Will has reached snob enlightenment. Being a snob about other peoples snobbishness. He has ascended.

I can just imagine him writing the episode of The Walking Dead game. "Yeah that kids gonna die. Have the zombies rip her face off, that'll be great! And the old man too. He can fuck off. I wouldn't be helping some old guy in a zombie apocalypse. What am I? An aged care worker? He'll be dead soon anyway."

I can read that in Gary's voice and it doesn't sound strange at all.

Top Bottom