• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

ArjanN

Bit odd.

I guess electric kettles are such a thing over here because of our love of tea. You're never more than a few minutes away from a steaming hot brew.

I'm from the Netherlands, and I don't know anyone that doesn't use an electric kettle yet. It's just way faster and easier.

Ha, I paused the podcast when they started talking about Will talking incredibly fast in interviews after so much coffee and watched this video and I can't stop laughing. It's made better still by the fact that the guy he's interviewing looks so incredibly mellow.

Megasoum

Banned
Ha, I paused the podcast when they started talking about Will talking incredibly fast in interviews after so much coffee and watched this video and I can't stop laughing. It's made better still by the fact that the guy he's interviewing looks so incredibly mellow.

hahahahaha, I missed that video on the website, wow this is amazing.

Zaph

Will baffles me. He went to SCAA last year, drank too much coffee and his on-camera skills went to shit.

Then he goes again this year and does the exact same thing? Can't he cover the event and not drink all the coffee? If you're there as a professional, producing informative content, wouldn't you want to maintain your composure?

eznark

Banned
Will baffles me. He went to SCAA last year, drank too much coffee and his on-camera skills went to shit.

Then he goes again this year and does the exact same thing? Can't he cover the event and not drink all the coffee? If you're there as a professional, producing informative content, wouldn't you want to maintain your composure?

He's there as a fan as much as anything else.

He's there as a fan as much as anything else.

But he's posting the videos on Tested, which is a professional, money-earning business, I think is the point. He can separate his business and personal life, if need be--drink after doing the segments, I guess. I haven't watched the full video, though he seemed pretty jittery but not terrible, from the bit I saw.

eznark

Banned
But he's posting the videos on Tested, which is a professional, money-earning business, I think is the point. He can separate his business and personal life, if need be--drink after doing the segments, I guess. I haven't watched the full video, though he seemed pretty jittery but not terrible, from the bit I saw.

Yes, professionalism has always been a Tested hallmark.

24450-penguinwill_super.jpg

FStop7

Banned

He is the Leigh Alexander of caffeine.

Megasoum

Banned
That's like asking an alcooholic to go to a beer convention and not get drunk... Good luck with that...

Will's an addict, you can't seriously expect him to go somewhere like that and not drink coffee non stop.

I'd think a little discipline during the interview to consciously speak slowly would do the trick even if he drank liters of coffee. But what do I know; I'm not a coffee drinker.

And it's not like I actually mind. I think it's hilarious!

eznark

Banned

Holy shit!! HAHAHA I have never actually watched that video. That is gold.

eznark

Banned
You're aware of the difference between a seriousness and professionalism, correct?

If you are going to argue that any of the things the guys did during the happy hour segments was "professional" we have a definition gulf that simply cannot be overcome and we should just agree to disagree.

willsmith

While I'm sure Will and Norm appreciate their new format of reporting on more things they find interesting, I can't help but feel that Tested has really moved away from my interests. I pretty much exclusively went to Tested for tech reviews and hands-on videos. While I know that there are a lot of sites that already do that, I trust Will and Norm's opinions on technology like the Kindle, headphones, and even random things like capacitive touch gloves, and they have great personalities to make things like hands-on videos really interesting. Now it seems like nearly every video is just a segment from a random Discovery Channel show, with the tech geek stuff really pushed to the backburner, with a few random exceptions.

This isn't to say that the new format is bad; it's just a personal opinion/lamentation.

We're in the slow springtime period for new product releases. When stuff starts coming out again, we'll cover it. When notable tech stuff happens, we'll still cover it.

Heel

I was under the impression from the announcement that the MythBusters guys would be a lot more involved with Will and Norm, and the site as a whole. Is this just not the case or is that the plan further down the road?

It just feels like branding at this point. Would be cool to see them show up in videos, on the podcast, etc. from time to time.

f0rk

I wonder why Norm didn't want to say how much he paid for that huge Dell monitor. Did it fall of the back of a truck or something? I'd really like to get one of those eventually.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was under the impression from the announcement that the MythBusters guys would be a lot more involved with Will and Norm, and the site as a whole. Is this just not the case or is that the plan further down the road?

It just feels like branding at this point. Would be cool to see them show up in videos, on the podcast, etc. from time to time.

I imagine that stuff is all in the works. The transition was really rushed and it occurred while that Mythbusters tour was going on. Will and Norm don't even have an office yet. Hopefully we'll see some collaborative content in the future when things settle down.

eznark

Banned

Have you watched their new show "Please Don't Call Them Rube Goldberg Machines". Jamie and Adam barely ever show up to that, I doubt they'd slum much in web videos.

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks for giving away all those codes Gary but now it's stressing me out trying to find and claim fast enough one of the codes! Game looks amazing but can't afford to buy right now.

Gina, in every marriage you get one chance to say, "I need you to do this with me." [Will holds up camera and sony headset] And there's only one answer when somebody says that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any idea how the camera will be mounted in the final design?

However it is mounted, it will be the biggest pain in the ass to be at a trade show wearing it.

Moving around in a crowded area with a third person camera sounds like a terrible idea. He is either going to annoy the shit out of himself, everyone around him, or both. Probably both.

eznark

Banned
I don't get the point. Yeah, it's possible and the set up is relatively easy with the equipment they've acquired (outside of the final harness/rig set-up) but....why?

Will is so preoccupied with whether or not he could, he hasn't stopped to think if he should.

Also, hold on to your butts.

And the tested guys won't even go a weekend without the internet

My name is Paul Miller. I write for The Verge, and before that Engadget. I mostly write features and editorials, and my biggest Reddit successes have involved my sporadic StarCraft coverage.

I'm leaving the internet for a year, starting May 1st, and keeping my job for The Verge writing about tech. I'll be available to answer questions up until midnight tonight (Monday, April 30th), which is when I pull the plug.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/szzm7/iama_technology_journalist_im_leaving_the/

Barrett2

Did the site ever do a big camera roundup / reviews?

Wife wants us to purchase a "nice" camera this year, I don't know anything about them. Figure I would start with Tested, but I only see forum topics, no posts..

Top Bottom