• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

I'm a little behind on the podcasts, but I'm with Gary on the 27"-30" monitors: Wait for the Retina display/High PPI monitors before upgrading. I'm strongly considering a nice, Apple Cinema display quality monitor for my Mac, but I'm waiting until high PPI screens hit before I'm making any such move, because I know that once I go Retina, it's going to be impossible to go backwards.

eznark

Banned
Breast feeding nazis are the freaking worst. I literally had to kick the nurse out of our room because she wouldn't stop harassing my wife about it...even though she already was fucking breast feeding.

Lick your baby.....Jesus, these hippies are masterful. How many books and future classes have you bought? Are you seriously going to breast feed the kid for three years?!? That's insanity.

Darklord

Banned
Breast feeding nazis are the freaking worst. I literally had to kick the nurse out of our room because she wouldn't stop harassing my wife about it...even though she already was fucking breast feeding.

Lick your baby.....Jesus, these hippies are masterful. How many books and future classes have you bought? Are you seriously going to breast feed the kid for three years?!? That's insanity.

I just think it's silly talking about not cleaning the baby and keeping it next to the mother for a few hours for bonding and hormone transfer and all that. If it was that critical then a lot of people would be effected by not having it done(like...everyone). And yeah, 3 years? Even Garry admitted it was hippie stuff though at one point.

RE: Copyright Troll case in the UK

There have been a few decisions here in the US by federal judges that are fighting back against copyright trolling. Mentioned in dicta in one of the decisions is the imprecision that an IP address gives, as Will said. So, the movement is happening in US courts. Also, a UK decision isn't any kind of "precedent" for our courts, as you had hoped. At least not legal precedent.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/judge-rejects-copyright-trolls-bittorrent-conspiracy-theory.ars

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/03/two-florida-judges-reject-copyright-troll-fishing-expeditions.ars

Is anyone else getting tired of the podcast? I was on board for awhile. But Will's comment about how he only reads science articles now and hopes Norm and Garry will pick up the slack on tech is really a sign that this podcast and me are drifting apart. I have no use for the website now, and where I used to anxiously await the tested podcast, I only now listen to it if I remember it came out.

Is anyone else getting tired of the podcast? I was on board for awhile. But Will's comment about how he only reads science articles now and hopes Norm and Garry will pick up the slack on tech is really a sign that this podcast and me are drifting apart. I have no use for the website now, and where I used to anxiously await the tested podcast, I only now listen to it if I remember it came out.

I'm the opposite. I barely use the website. I scan the front page a couple times a day but rarely go deeper. Paper airplanes and coffee stories are not very interesting to me, at least at the level of the website. A bunch of paper airplane and coffee stories and not much else but summary news posts. I'll read anything norm writes, even all the crazy camera crap I don't care about, but that's it.

Above that, I know they're in a crazy transition, so I'm not going to stop listening (I listen to a lot of podcasts but I'll interrupt anything when tested pops up) and I'm going to give will the good faith he's earned to realize his dream site. Lesser sites would have just collapsed or splintered.

PS - pay Gary to write a tech dad column. Kthx.

MasLegio

Banned
I just think it's silly talking about not cleaning the baby and keeping it next to the mother for a few hours for bonding and hormone transfer and all that. If it was that critical then a lot of people would be effected by not having it done(like...everyone). And yeah, 3 years? Even Garry admitted it was hippie stuff though at one point.

allergies were not as common as they are now. The sterile environment for modern children is thought to be one of the reasons to the high increases in all kinds of allergies. As well as modern use of chemicals and food additives.

Draft

allergies were not as common as they are now. The sterile environment for modern children is thought to be one of the reasons to the high increases in all kinds of allergies. As well as modern use of chemicals and food additives.
There's also a lot of people that blame it on toilet cleanliness. They claim a good dose of ringworm clears allergies right up. But you don't see the Whole Foods crowd stomping barefoot through a line of porto potties. edit: Sorry, hookworms.

Dany

Banned
What was Will not trying to say on the podcast, I couldn't figure it out...

I don't think its vinnys caravells c-word...wouldn't make sense...

Poyunch

I'm kind of in the same boat but not really. When the site became less focused on tech I just stopped visiting the site and consuming their content on a consistent basis. I came to Tested for a personality-driven tech site. It was great that I found Will, Norm, and Gary entertaining and it was great that they were covering something I was interested in.

With tech being less of a focus I have less reason to visit the site but because I still find the guys entertaining I continue to listen to the podcast.

I originally found it weird that GiantBomb mentioned how they have some fans who only ever listen to the Bombcast but I can kind of understand now after Tested's shakeup.

Jintor

I pretty much listen to the podcast because

a) The Gary-Will-Norm dynamic is fucking perfection
b) It gets pushed to me on my podcast catcher and I don't have to go out and get it

I have very little interest in tech and moderate interest in science, but a huge amount of interest in 'things that Tested find interesting' so it all balances out.

And of course occasionally you get a little Shoemaker in there too!

I don't really visit the site any more. Jamie and Adam's mugs plastered over the top bug me.

FStop7

Banned
Microsoft puts $300 million into the Nook and Will hand waves it?

Kind of put me off on the podcast, too. I don't listen to The Verge, TWIT, or Engadget podcasts. And I don't really want to start.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So Norm was on a recent Comic Vine video to discuss Avengers - safe to assume it'll come up in the next Tested podcast?

pje122

I can certainly see where you're coming from.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I gotta say I actually do still like the content.

Cooking, coffee and cameras are what I'm into.

The latest phones, less so.

Really, the biggest difference is just less phone focused news. The rest of the content is either more of the same or something else even more interesting.

I gotta say I actually do still like the content.

Cooking, coffee and cameras are what I'm into.

The latest phones, less so.

Really, the biggest difference is just less phone focused news. The rest of the content is either more of the same or something else even more interesting.

This. I like the interesting stuff that is on the fringes of tech. The latest phone OS, etc., is something I couldn't care less about. Although, some of the stories that are about things they know nothing about, those I don't like.

panda21

oh so he's not allowed to say crazy? i was just listening to it and i thought it was kunst too but that makes way more sense.

i wonder if he picked it up from Jeffrey, he's always saying "super-crazy"

steam linux guy was scary.

solarus

Nope still love it. Second favourite podcast to the bombcast and sometimes it can be more entertaining than it. Like others have said, don't really use the site as much just come for the awesome podcast.

panda21

if anything i go to the website more often now, because it has stuff that might be interesting rather than old tech news i already saw on other sites.

the podcast is just as good if not better, it seems to be basically the same except they go off topic onto stuff they are interested in more often, which is cool.

i just hope it lasts because i think the connection to mythbusters is pretty tenuous (although to be fair i dont know much about mythbusters) and the whole thing must be pretty baffling to mythbusters fans who have no idea who WNG are.

eznark

Banned
I met the person I most admired when I was ten. Johnny Bench. Biggest piece of human garbage I have ever met in my life. Fuck that guy.

So yeah...careful what you wish for I guess!

if anything i go to the website more often now, because it has stuff that might be interesting rather than old tech news i already saw on other sites.

the podcast is just as good if not better, it seems to be basically the same except they go off topic onto stuff they are interested in more often, which is cool.

i just hope it lasts because i think the connection to mythbusters is pretty tenuous (although to be fair i dont know much about mythbusters) and the whole thing must be pretty baffling to mythbusters fans who have no idea who WNG are.

Eh it seems like the new tested is just like gizmodo now. I like their videos and podcast but the videos are awful to navigate on my phone so that leaves me with just the podcast

Megasoum

Banned
C'mon man that's harsh

I agree that it's harsh, especially as far as the content goes but the website design is still terrible. Once Andy and his team will have fix that then maybe people will be more enclined to check back the site...

The problem with the site is that it's maybe too broad now. It's lost its identity. I liked Will and Norm's Tested where I could go read about phones, tablets, GPUs and CPUs.

Now I might find something interesting there that I wouldn't have before, but there's also a ton of stuff I don't find interesting. I know they still focus heavily on that stuff, but it's not the same. It's no longer that niche site.

The fact they don't have an office is problematic, too. Giant Bomb are facing that problem, as well (I know GB have an office technically but it's hardly theirs yet) Doing some videos out of their house was a novelty at WM (think the turkey one) but with EVERY video being like that it just feels a bit cheap.

Whereas GB have gone up in the world it feels like Tested have taken a few steps back. Even if it's just when they figure stuff out, it's not good.

Megasoum

Banned
The problem with the site is that it's maybe too broad now. It's lost its identity. I liked Will and Norm's Tested where I could go read about phones, tablets, GPUs and CPUs.

Now I might find something interesting there that I wouldn't have before, but there's also a ton of stuff I don't find interesting. I know they still focus heavily on that stuff, but it's not the same. It's no longer that niche site.

The fact they don't have an office is problematic, too. Giant Bomb are facing that problem, as well (I know GB have an office technically but it's hardly theirs yet) Doing some videos out of their house was a novelty at WM (think the turkey one) but with EVERY video being like that it just feels a bit cheap.

Whereas GB have gone up in the world it feels like Tested have taken a few steps back. Even if it's just when they figure stuff out, it's not good.

I kinda agree and I find myself in a very weird situation. I used to check every single piece of content on Tested since launch even if I have ZERO interest in phones and tablets lol... Now that they talk about science stuff I should be super happy because I'm actually a big science buff (huge fan of Discovery Channel, Documentary Channel, etc) but for some reason I've read maybe only 4 or 5 articles since they re-launched. I still watch all the videos but it's not like there is a ton of those anyway.

I don't give a shit about tablets or phones either, ironically. Tested made it interesting for me somehow.

Although a lot of the science topics are interesting and maybe even appeal to me more, it's not what I want from Tested. It might not be logical, but that's how it is.

eznark

Banned

I agree with that and I think the current set up is making it hard to establish a new one. Right now they seem like a fly by night operation just trying to get some content out there to keep people hanging on until the real thing starts. Which, I guess is sort of the case. At least I assume that once they get an office we'll be back to higher quality video content.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The problem with a lot of the science talk is they don't know enough about these topics to make discussion of them all that interesting.

Top Bottom