• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas to open new toll road w/ 85 mph speed limit, highest in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...091822-f887-11e1-a93b-7185e3f88849_story.html

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas will soon open a stretch of highway with the highest speed limit in the country, giving eager drivers a chance to rip through a trip between two of the state’s largest metropolitan areas.

The Texas Transportation Commission has approved a speed limit of 85 mph for a 41-mile toll road several miles east of the increasingly crowded Interstate 35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio.

“I would love it,” Austin resident Alan Guckian said. “Sometimes it’s fun to just open it up.”

But while some drivers will want to test their horsepower and radar detectors, others are asking if safety is taking a backseat.

“The research is clear that when speed limits go up, fatalities go up,” said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. He said higher speed limits get people to their destinations faster, “but the trade-off is more crashes and more highway deaths.”

A 2009 report in the American Journal of Public Health studied traffic fatalities in the U.S. from 1995 to 2005 and found that more than 12,500 deaths were attributable to increases in speed limits on all kinds of roads.

The study also said that rural highways showed a 9.1 percent increase in fatalities on roads where speed limits were raised, but did not cite specific numbers in those instances.

Most highways in the U.S. top out at 75 mph, and there are no longer any roads in the U.S. with no speed limit. Some highways in rural West Texas and Utah have 80 mph speed limits.

The Texas Legislature last year approved 85 mph limits for some new stretches of road. The strip of toll road running from Austin to Seguin, about 35 miles northeast of San Antonio, will be the first to allow that speed when it opens in November.

The Texas Transportation Commission, which is appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, approved the 85 mph speed limit at a public meeting on Aug. 30. Commissioners would not comment on their decision.

The state contract with the toll operator allows the state to collect a $67 million up-front cash payment or a percentage of the toll profits in the future if the speed limit is 80 mph or lower. At 85 mph, the cash payment balloons to $100 million or a higher percentage of toll revenues.

Texas Department of Transportation spokeswoman Veronica Beyer says “we must continue to look for innovative ways to generate revenue and be good stewards of taxpayer dollars.”

Agency officials had previously said they would study the toll road’s topography, the speeds that most drivers were reaching, and the safety of access points and cross sections before approving the 85 mph speed limit.

“Safety is our top priority and tests have shown the designated speed is a safe one,” Beyer said.

During his daily commute from Round Rock, north of Austin, to his job in San Antonio, Steve Marcy sometimes uses another part of the toll road. The section he drives now has an 80 mph speed limit. Marcy said he’d be comfortable driving 85, but would be concerned about others driving vehicles that are not in good condition.

“A tire blowout (at 85 mph) could be a big hazard,” Marcy said.

Chris Lippincott, spokesman for SH 130 Concession Co. that is building the road, said the company is committed to operating a safe highway.

“On any road, drivers hold the key to safety based on traffic, travel conditions and the capabilities of their own vehicles,” Lippincott said.

Toll prices have not yet been set for the new section. Marcy predicted the higher speed limit would attract new drivers, but said most may not think it’s worth paying the tolls.

“For most people I talk to, it’s a cost issue,” Marcy said.

pBOGr.png

.GqueB.

Banned
I hate driving that fast. I had to do it once because of factors outside of my control and I was uneasy the whole time.

Looks like the opposite lane is pretty far away, so doesn't seem like there needs to be a barrier in-between.

Never seen a car go across a median that size and run head-on into oncoming traffic? I haven't either, but it happens all the damn time.

I like the new trend of installing guard wires in medians now. They appear to offer the same protection as a guardrail without being as unsightly.

You are looking at only one side of the highway, but nice fail.

There's no way to really tell if there's a guardrail on that road from the pictures in the article, but I'm assuming there is. Fullscreening the first picture shows that there is no railing, but there's also no road markings painted on yet either. That is of course assuming that is the road in question. The second picture shows what could be a guardrail in the bottom-left, but it's hard to tell for certain.

There is 85mph on freeway here in Utah south of where I live. Been that speed for years. Goes for a lot longer that 41 miles too. One of the reasons I get to Vegas in 4 1/2 hours instead of 6.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
One time I went over 90 heading to school, I was determined not to be late. Speed limit was 60.

#YOLO

Montana doesn't even have speed limits...at least when I was there 15 years ago. Graph above says otherwise so they must have changed it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Isn't this open already? Was in Austin for work early in August and swore the toll road was 85. Maybe it was 80. Was awesome though. Wish the overall limit was 80+ on all interstates.

LuCkymoON

Banned
During his daily commute from Round Rock, north of Austin, to his job in San Antonio, Steve Marcy sometimes uses another part of the toll road. The section he drives now has an 80 mph speed limit. Marcy said he’d be comfortable driving 85, but would be concerned about others driving vehicles that are not in good condition.
Stupid fucks like this are the problem. What person in their right mind commutes 200 miles for work everyday?

Seanspeed

Banned
So... going by usual Texas driving habits, more like 95-105. :D

Thats just normal highway driving standards. 10-15 above the speed limit is pretty normal. 10 over generally wont even get you pulled over here.

Its a shame so many places have such low speed limits, but I understand why they're necessary - people drive like crap and dont pay enough attention here in the States.

As long as traffic allows for it driving 75-80 is pretty common here in California. Who follows the speed limit exactly? I don't have a problem with 85, but people are going to be driving 90 and probably not being ticketed, and 95-100 if there's no cops in view. Dumb kids doing that in junky/ old cars probably wouldn't be too good.

Zoe

This will be good for San Antonio -> Austin commuters.

I've been enjoying 70mph on 35. Too bad most people still go 60 and below :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom