• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

KorrZ

God damnit Bellamy. I was really pissed with him this episode. I know he's never been a "good guy" but he's not that stupid.

Lexa was awesome this episode. I totally called the spear throw at the Ice Queen, but I thought it was going to be the Prince who won and threw the spear.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The more I think on it, the less I think of Pike's 'plan', as it were.

Deterrence....doesn't really work if you anger the whole grounder coalition.

Against one clan, maybe, but....there's just not enough manpower. Eventually, it'd turn Arkadia into an Alamo.

If they had the tactical warheads still, then maybe MAD would be enough of a threat, but without Mt. Weather....

It's relying entirely on the Grounders being cowed enough to not say 'fuck it, time to salt the earth'....except Pike already knows how fucking scary they can be in his off-screen wars with the Ice nation and such.

Honestly I feel like they needed an extra episode. To show both the feeling of Arkadia after Bellamy and Pike's people's were arrested, who people might side with after the incident, and also show us what happened with Farm Station since they landed, like the tail segment episode in Lost. It probably wouldn't fix Bellamy much but it would go a long way to let us understand Pike and his people; presumably the people in Arkadia know everything but the audience doesn't.

I think the show creator mentioned wanting to do this in one of the interviews about S3, but stated that they just had to roll with it due to the season's (relatively) breakneck pace.

I will forever think of this scene whenever I hear the words "Long live the king"

tumblr_njoghyJp3B1unchqzo1_500.gif

Faenix1

But the thing is, those adults haven't been through a thing. They missed the first grounder war, Clarke decided the battle with Mt. Weather and they have been at peace with the Grounders since. They should end up completely destroyed.

They weren't there but surely they have been told and understand that things are generally better now. To promote someone with such an out of date attitude just seems ridiculous.

The writers seem to be wanting to hurry everything along to conflicts without taking any time to work it out. Black Trump (Blump) wins an election is fine, but neither Abby nor Desmond just pointing out that they are about 300 people with 100 guns whereas they saw at least 100,000 grounders and probably millions more is not a fight they want to start.

Hopefully the AI plot starts coming in next episode, need something to save the show from Pity Party, Blump, and Bellamy the Destroyer of Camps.

Really disappointed Clarke and Lexa didn't hook up again :( Happily surprised that neither Lexa nor Captain Vane died but expect both now to die :(

Sober

I think the show creator mentioned wanting to do this in one of the interviews about S3, but stated that they just had to roll with it due to the season's (relatively) breakneck pace.
I mean he seems to be self-aware of it that it could be very possible the following rest of the season can course correct somehow, but that doesn't mean it's not problematic now and that they decided against it for the sake of pacing is really weird. Considering 16 episodes and even last season I felt like they had some slower or more breather-like episodes where the entire world didn't seem to be collapsing around them that they had to write their way out of it.

I sure hope I'm wrong but in some ways, yikes.

Joni

What is reasonable about trusting the Grounders?
That they have until now acted quite predictable, even despite the continued crossing of the borders on the side of the Arkers.

They weren't there but surely they have been told and understand that things are generally better now. To promote someone with such an out of date attitude just seems ridiculous.
Muslims in America have integrated themselves very well for decades, but they get shafted every time a terrorist on the other side of the world acts up. We are not a rational people. Evidenced by Republican frontrunners Trump and Cruz, who would probably get a huge boost with a terrorist attack just before the election. Especially since he has been talking for days how the Ice Nation killed so many of his guys.

Honestly I feel like they needed an extra episode. To show both the feeling of Arkadia after Bellamy and Pike's people's were arrested, who people might side with after the incident, and also show us what happened with Farm Station since they landed, like the tail segment episode in Lost. It probably wouldn't fix Bellamy much but it would go a long way to let us understand Pike and his people; presumably the people in Arkadia know everything but the audience doesn't.
I hope they still allude to it with news that Pike himself his responsible. I feel they are somehow building up to this.

It was neat how they showed three sides of Lexa as the three things a Commander should be. Wisdom in teaching the Nightbloods and pulling off the counter-coup, Compassion in not carrying a grudge against Roan or the other ambassadors and Strength during the fight. They also had three disctinctive looks to go along with them to make the difference even more stark. And they all looked amazing.

I hope the Farm Crew deathsquad comes to the Grounder camp to find them already dead by the hands of some unknown force who also have firearms. Seeing how this season is just barely underway and the Big Bad Ice Queen is already dealt with there should be some enemy out there to fight rather then more Grounders vs. Arkers. Maybe it's ALIE with armed drones or maybe someone we've not seen yet.

The whole Pike plotline is so sudden and annoying. I really hate him.

Well, that's the intention. As has been discussed here, there are different perspectives on whether the Ark ought to be joining a coalition with the Grounders. I think they rushed it a little bit, but the points got across. Not everyone thinks they ought to be subjects of Lexa... and there are good reasons in her background for that. She hasn't exactly proven herself the most trustworthy ally.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how Lexa handles all this. Pike declaring they're no longer one of the tribes must be seen as treason to the Grounders. And Clarke is in an awkward position for sure.

If we didn't have Pike stirring things up, the show would be all about Jasper not being able to let go and Clarke and Lexa doing their "will they/won't they" dance... until the AI storyline intersects. Pike represents conflict, and conflict is critical to a story.

Gvitor

Last couple of episodes were great. The less City of Light bullshit, the better.

I did not antecipate the ending of that fight. I was sure they would end the episode with Lexa dying. I still believe she will at some point in this season, though. Also what a great fight that was.

I also was pretty sure Bellamy was playing the long game with Pike, pretending to work with his rebellious faction only to wipe them all in one go, then go the Clarke route and defect (Octavia is pretty pissed at him in the early season 3 trailers, I imagined that'd be the reason). He said to the dudes with Lincoln that he was always protecting his people, after all. I just wish he doesn't go the Finn/Jasper route.

foxtrot3d

Banned
That they have until now acted quite predictable, even despite the continued crossing of the borders on the side of the Arkers.

No they haven't, they have repeatedly acted arbitrary and untrustworthy to the Ark crew. There is literally no grounds for any sort of trust between the two groups. Hell, last week Indra decided to help them look for Clarke but either didn't know Lexa had an open order to capture her or chose not to share that information with them. Then after Clarke was brought before Lexa, Indra didn't tell the Ark crew but immediately followed orders and stood by Lexa's side.

Pike is absolutely right to fear a "peacekeeping" force outside of their border, they may be ordered to aid them now but does anyone dispute that if Lexa or any new Commander ordered them to attack Arkadia they wouldn't hesitate for a second? Every time the Ark has allied with the Grounders it has turned out poorly for them.

Joni

No they haven't, they have repeatedly acted arbitrary and untrustworthy to the Ark crew. There is literally no grounds for any sort of trust between the two groups. Hell, last week Indra decided to help them look for Clarke but either didn't know Lexa had an open order to capture her or chose not to share that information with them. Then after Clarke was brought before Lexa, Indra didn't tell the Ark crew but immediately followed orders and stood by Lexa's side.
She simply didn't know. And once she did, she knew the Arkers would get Clarke back as part of the talks for which they were coming.

Pike is absolutely right to fear a "peacekeeping" force outside of their border, they may be ordered to aid them now but does anyone dispute that if Lexa or any new Commander ordered them to attack Arkadia they wouldn't hesitate for a second? Every time the Ark has allied with the Grounders it has turned out poorly for them.
A pre-emptive attack isn't exactly a sound strategy though. Attacking the Ice Nation border guards didn't help them either.

TheOddOne

- IGN: Black Sails: Zach McGowan On Season 3, Vane’s dynamic with Blackbeard, The 100 and more.
IGN: I have to ask you about The 100 as well. What is it like leaping into that world and playing this character?

McGowan: It was really cool. That came out of, at San Diego Comic-Con, I was there doing some personal appearance stuff; doing some signing stuff. At the Warner Bros party, I ran into Jason [Rothenberg], who is a big fan of Black Sails and he was negotiating with another actor playing that part and someone who wanted more money. He seemed frustrated and he was like “What are you doing?” And I was like. “I just wrapped on Black Sails. I’ve got a couple months” and whatnot and he asked, “Dude, would you ever consider being on The 100? There’s this part you’re perfect for. I don’t know how many episodes you’re allowed to do [away from Black Sails].” And Mike, my manager, was there.

I knew the show because Bob Morley, who pays Bellamy, is repped by my manager and I know Bob very well. I was literally sitting there with Bob and Bob was like, “Jason, he should totally be Roan!” And I said, “Well listen, I’ve only watched a couple episode of this show and I loved it, but like most TV, you can’t watch it all.” It was kind of a leap of faith where a lead on a show and the show creator is sitting there basically going, “Would you do this?” And me going, “Absolutely, you want me to come have fun with you? Bob, let’s go have some fun in Vancouver. It’s close to home. Let’s go do a some episodes and see what happens.” It was really fun and I really enjoyed how in Black Sails, you’re 300 years in the past and in The 100, you’re 300 years in the future. But it’s not all that different in odd ways. So it was cool and fun and I’ve had a blast with it.
IGN: I know you enjoy action scenes. Was it fun doing the fight scene with lexa?

McGowan: Of course! That was really great. She did such a great job, Alycia [Debnam-Carey]! She was really scared about it. She was like “Dude, I’m fighting you and I don’t know how to sword fight!” It was our first training session together and she was much better than she was giving herself credit for and she was like, "I don’t know, am I remembering it?" I said, “You used to be a dancer, clearly, right?’ And she goes, “How did you know?” I told her, “Because you can memorize the move. This is all this is. We’re going to do a dance together and make it look like we’re hurting each other but we’re not going to hurt each other.

It was really fun and it was fun to do it and I think as a father of daughters, I love all these badass women these days. I was just watching Star Wars and I brought my daughter to it and was like, “Look, here’s this young female, Jedi Knight you can now aspire to and you can decide whether you want to let the dark side of the force take you or the light side of the force and you can explore those things.

foxtrot3d

Banned
She simply didn't know. And once she did, she knew the Arkers would get Clarke back as part of the talks for which they were coming.

A pre-emptive attack isn't exactly a sound strategy though. Attacking the Ice Nation border guards didn't help them either.

1) You're making a big assumption without any support, plus do you think if Lexa stated that she would be keeping Clarke, Indra would disobey orders to help the Ark crew?

2) I agree the plan was stupid but the idea that Grounders are the enemy is not an unreasonable position.

Joni

1) You're making a big assumption without any support, plus do you think if Lexa stated that she would be keeping Clarke, Indra would disobey orders to help the Ark crew?
She helped find her. If Lexa kept her anyway, she still helped them. As for the assumption, the show didn't give evidence for or against it.

2) I agree the plan was stupid but the idea that Grounders are the enemy is not an unreasonable position.
It is if they have been living reasonably calm with you, even when you kill their border patrols and move into Mount Weather. The Ice Nation at that point was simply obeying the deal. They couldn't move into Mt. Weather, they weren't allowed.

Geist-

Every season just keeps getting better, wow.

Even the annoying bad decisions that Pike and Bellamy are making are within the realm of reason, just look at what happens in the US when there's a threat of a foreign power, the racist conservatives who want to carpet bomb civilizations are swept into power. Basically truth in television.

Hopefully there aren't any major terror attacks before November. :-/

harSon

Banned
Just finished up season 2. Powered through seasons 1 and 2 in like two weeks. This show is way fucking better than it has any right being. I'll probably be live with the week to week by the time the next episode airs.

Skux

If the Grounder army does end up wanting to attack Arkadia then Bellamy and Pike will end up being the "good guys". It's all about perspective. And considering that they have no idea what's going on in Polis, their reactions seem reasonable enough to me.

Just finished up season 2. Powered through seasons 1 and 2 in like two weeks. This show is way fucking better than it has any right being. I'll probably be live with the week to week by the time the next episode airs.

It's true. I laughed at this show when I saw the promos at it debut. I binged watched 1-2, I hated waiting for season 3.

Alastor3

I just finished season 2. I wish Clarke die. I don't like her, even tho she is the main character. Bring Octavia as the main protagonist! She is my love.

Ceres

Banned
If the Grounder army does end up wanting to attack Arkadia then Bellamy and Pike will end up being the "good guys". It's all about perspective. And considering that they have no idea what's going on in Polis, their reactions seem reasonable enough to me.

Bellamy was just in Polis and helped one of the people that ended up destroying Mt Weather with their people in it. Pike makes sense but Bellamy knows who exactly was behind the attack and being all anti every grounder does not make any sense besides continuing his gullable idiot storyline.

Dahbomb

Not really liking the way Bellamy has been written so far in this season. I hope he turns around from this bloodlust soon.

Joni

Bellamy has a savior complex. He always needs to save Clarke, Octavia, and the others. He becomes reckless the further it goes. The problem is, he fails too often. Mt. Weather is the straw that breaks the camel's back. He took away the security detail to go protect someone that didn't need protecting. Clarke knows that she had to kill the previous crew of Mt Weather so she can place it somewhat, and she has an external target for her anger. Bellamy doesn't, he thinks he should have been there.

sammex

Bellamy was needlessly reckless and impulsive when trying to rescue Clarke from Roan, too. As he was even going waaaay back to s1 when he tried to assassinate Jaha in order to buy his way onto the dropship, or when he destroyed the radio on Raven's escape pod in order to CYA. Most of last season he spent breaking into Mt Weather, which took bravery for sure, but there's precedent for him not really being the smartest or most rational character on the show. He doesn't seem to think about the long term consequences of his actions.

I think most people get this but all of those things had a lots of time to be established whereas with this it's such a sudden flip that it doesn't feel like it has sufficient emotional weight to see him go with it.

Joni

It might have worked better if they made a connection between pike and Bellamy on the ark. Like that he worked for him. Something that makes turning against Kane more logical.

Joni

Jasper needs to die he brings nothing to the show. I just know he will be the one to save them all this season. This fool saw his friends get killed left and right and didnt get sad now all of a sudden his puppy love dies he goes insane.

I wonder when they going to kill off the new King since he's on Black Sails. I doubt he be a regular on both.

Seems like this show might suffer from the season 3 curse on CW.
The Vampire Diaries and supernatural had great third seasons, beauty and the beast was always terrible and Arrow was down a bit. I think that are all the current CW shows that finished their third season already.

Ugh, why are they turning Bellamy into Finn?

I get he's mad about his girlfriend dying, but this is just an embarrassing decline for the character. He's always been emotional, but he's also always been somewhat rational too and should know they don't really stand a chance going up against the Grounder armies.

The One and Done™;195211067 said:
Octavia on the other hand is amazing and way under utilized.

d7nROfv.gif

Best part of the whole Arkadia plotline. I hope she machetes Pike and Farm Crew to deliver their heads to Lexa is they do go ahead with murdering that army.

Joni

I dont watch them but I do watch Originals and Arrow. Arrow season 3 was shit and so far I dont like The Originals season 3 at all.
Most of their third season shows didn't go downwards. Even Originals doesn't, it just shows problems that the show had since season 1.

Hamlet

Pretty solid episode, though the Bellemy/Pike side of things just isn't really working for me as it is right now. Hopefully it'll improve but yeah I wish the show had at least spent a couple more episodes developing into it and eventually leading to Bellamy's decision to side with Pike rather than the rushed thing we have now.
Still really enjoying everything else and was pretty surprised at how quick the Ice Queen was taken out. Was expecting her to last the whole season so quite the shock heh.

Joni

Good job Bellamy, you fucking moron.

I expected the King to kill his mum with the spear.

I'm glad Lexa did. Roan seems very strong, but he doesn't seem a born leader. He is under the thumb of Lexa and his mom. He'll have to deal with that now.

RS4-

When Clarke talked to him before the fight, was she proposing that he marry Lexa? Or just to kill the Queen instead.

I almost get the feeling that Clarke ends up Queen. Then Bellamy finally becomes Darth Lamy

Anko

When Clarke talked to him before the fight, was she proposing that he marry Lexa? Or just to kill the Queen instead.

I almost get the feeling that Clarke ends up Queen. Then Bellamy finally becomes Darth Lamy

To kill the queen of course.

He rejects the suggestion saying that his people won't follow someone who killed the queen. The Queen can't die by his hand, but she sure as hell can die by Clarke's. After which we have Clarke attempting to assassinate her with poison.

Moff

lexa killing the queen was amazing. entertaining fight, too. because for once, I really didn't know who would win. that's rare.
the whole crew who want to attack the grounders are complete morons, though. and only there to make the audience angry. there is just no way someone would be that dumb.
racism, ok, I get that. but taking up a fight against just everyone is incredibly dumb.

harSon

Banned
I've officially powered through all of the available episodes. The City of Light seems like the type of narrative arc that will tank a good show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've officially powered through all of the available episodes. The City of Light seems like the type of narrative arc that will tank a good show.
I would agree, but after the latest episode I think it may turn out to be the most harmless one yet.

Like, fuck.

Top Bottom