• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

What the hell happened to the writing? Its not just the out of character stuff, the episodes feel different.

Any examples as to what you mean? Outside of Bellamy's arc, I feel the writing has been the same as ever. And even then, Finn had a similar abrupt character change in season 2 (although he was always an annoying cunt so people didn't care as much).

The problem with Bell's arc is that I feel the show should've stretched it out over at least one or two more episodes, at the moment it feels rushed.

kirblar

Any examples as to what you mean? Outside of Bellamy's arc, I feel the writing has been the same as ever. And even then, Finn had a similar abrupt character change in season 2 (although he was always an annoying cunt so people didn't care as much).

The problem with Bell's arc is that I feel the show should've stretched it out over at least one or two more episodes, at the moment it feels rushed.
Finn's stuff was at least rooted in his relationship issues w/ the two girls and made sense from a character standpoint.

Nothing about this storyline makes sense because the grounders can crush them at a whim. They're horribly outnumbered to a degree that makes this type of thing a suicide move, and Bellamy should be very aware of that fact.

In a general sense though, they have a huge issue with their male characters - this is now the third one they've played the "go nuts because of dead girlfriend" card, and its got hugely diminishing returns.

Finn's stuff was at least rooted in his relationship issues w/ the two girls and made sense from a character standpoint.

Nothing about this storyline makes sense because the grounders can crush them at a whim. They're horribly outnumbered to a degree that makes this type of thing a suicide move, and Bellamy should be very aware of that fact.

In a general sense though, they have a huge issue with their male characters - this is now the third one they've played the "go nuts because of dead girlfriend" card, and its got hugely diminishing returns.

Gotta disagree about their chances about the grounders. Sure, they're outnumbered by a long shot, but their technology and weapons are are insanely more advanced. It's a similar issue to the one the grounders had with Mt. Weather. The arkers can simply park their asses in their base and mow down anyone who comes near. There will likely be a high number of casualties on both sides if they do go to war.

I do agree that them going against the grounders is extremely stupid, but not for that reason. Pike hating the grounders and thinks he has a chance makes sense, the arkers following Bellamy also makes sense. The only problem I have is Bell's role in it all, and that may have been solved by simply giving his development more time.

Who's the other person who has lost it after their girlfriend has died btw? I'm struggling to think of anyone else but I really need to give the first two seasons a rewatch.

Edit: And yeah, obviously Mt. Weather was a lot more equipped but it's still a similar comparison of going up against an enemy which is much more advanced than yourselves.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Gotta disagree about their chances about the grounders. Sure, they're outnumbered by a long shot, but their technology and weapons are are insanely more advanced. It's a similar issue to the one the grounders had with Mt. Weather. The arkers can simply park their asses in their base and mow down anyone who comes near. There will likely be a high number of casualties on both sides if they do go to war.

Eh, Mt. Weather had things like the acid fog generator and actual missiles, though - not to mention a 'fully-sealed' fortress. All Arkadia has is a bunch of guns and ramshackle cobbled-together metal walls (with admittedly, a lot more scientific knowhow, which could be applied to warfare)

Grounders obviously gonna take a lot of casualties, but without Jaha/ALIE, Arkadia would be like the Alamo.

Joni

The Grounders can easily do the same, just set their archers just outside of reach. Shoot anyone that leaves. See how long the Arkers would last without resources. I do feel like the Grounders are missing something: siege weapons.

The Grounders can easily do the same, just set their archers just outside of reach. Shoot anyone that leaves. See how long the Arkers would last without resources. I do feel like the Grounders are missing something: siege weapons.

Eh, Mt. Weather had things like the acid fog generator and actual missiles, though - not to mention a 'fully-sealed' fortress. All Arkadia has is a bunch of guns and ramshackle cobbled-together metal walls (with admittedly, a lot more scientific knowhow, which could be applied to warfare)

Grounders obviously gonna take a lot of casualties, but without Jaha/ALIE, Arkadia would be like the Alamo.

True, true. I still don't think it would be as one sides as many in this thread are assuming.
Plus (although this is irrelevant to Pike/Bell's decision) with Jaha now in Arkadia
and with all the hints towards ALIE being an enemy of Lexa/the grounders
, I think skaikru are going to have much more firepower at their disposal than before.

Literally Jasper.

Lmao, I think I've completely blocked out Jasper's storyline this season.

harSon

Banned

I do agree that them going against the grounders is extremely stupid, but not for that reason. Pike hating the grounders and thinks he has a chance makes sense, the arkers following Bellamy also makes sense. The only problem I have is Bell's role in it all, and that may have been solved by simply giving his development more time.

Who's the other person who has lost it after their girlfriend has died btw? I'm struggling to think of anyone else but I really need to give the first two seasons a rewatch.

Mt. Weather and Arkadia are two completely different scenarios. The former had a near impenetrable fortress, poison fog to keep ground armies at bays, long range missiles, reapers, security cameras, etc. It's also self-sufficient, with it's own internally produced agriculture and water. Arkadia is basically in the open and can be choked off by supplies.

Joni

I don't think ALIE will end up being an ally to the Arkers. I think it will be its downfall, and force it to work together with the Grounders again.

I don't think ALIE will end up being an ally to the Arkers. I think it will be its downfall, and force it to work together with the Grounders again.

I don't think she/it'll be an ally truly, but could use the arkers to go against the grounders physically, which she obviously can't do unless she utilities the nuke. There's a lot of theories about (speculation based on previous eps/promos)
ALIE being unable to access Polis for whatever reason. Plus there's a part of the intro for the show where it looks like it shows Polis for a second time, but completely destroyed.

Edit: I also can't see the grounders ever officially working together with the arkers again. Lexa's people might, might accept her decision to let the arkers live (they won't), but I can't see there being any way they'd fight along side them again.

I'm glad Raven is back to her prime, but saddened she's now team ALIE.

And Bellamy. Oh dear, oh dear. I just know he's not going to make it through this season.

Kyoufu

I'm glad Raven is back to her prime, but saddened she's now team ALIE.

And Bellamy. Oh dear, oh dear. I just know he's not going to make it through this season.

He's supposed to be Clarke's endgame no?

I'm not sure if I like the direction the writers have taken. Don't tell me Arcadia is going to be pardoned for massacring 300 innocent grounders. Like, no. Just no. Bellamy must pay the price, just like Flynn did. Honestly, this just kills Bellamy as a character for me.

And Clarke is once again trying to play the peace act after what just happened and Lexa is actually going along with it? Who in the 12 clans is actually going to be in favour of this?

Joni

Clarke and Bellamy might become a couple according to the producer, but I think most of the shipping is based on their chemistry and the fact they end up together in the books.

kurahador

I'm on team Thelonious. Just let everyone die already and live in The Matrix City Of Light.
Everyone is beyond redemption in this. That Lexa decision to do the right thing for once will fell flat on her face next episode.

Also...that Jessica Jones song!!

Clarke and Bellamy might become a couple according to the producer, but I think most of the shipping is based on their chemistry and the fact they end up together in the books.
To be honest I think he just said that to maybe calm fans of the pairing. Every time the two getting together romantically is brought up, both the cast and crew seem to react negatively. I'm pretty sure there was this one interview where Bellarke was brought up and a few actors literally decided that was the time for them to take their leave.

Beefy

He's supposed to be Clarke's endgame no?

I'm not sure if I like the direction the writers have taken. Don't tell me Arcadia is going to be pardoned for massacring 300 innocent grounders. Like, no. Just no. Bellamy must pay the price, just like Flynn did. Honestly, this just kills Bellamy as a character for me.

And Clarke is once again trying to play the peace act after what just happened and Lexa is actually going along with it? Who in the 12 clans is actually going to be in favour of this?

I think Pike will become a good guy.

Joni

To be honest I think he just said that to maybe calm fans of the pairing. Every time the two getting together romantically is brought up, both the cast and crew seem to react negatively. I'm pretty sure there was this one interview where Bellarke was brought up and a few actors literally decided that was the time for them to take their leave.

Yeah, Bob Morley and Eliza Taylor don't seem to like the possibility.

Beefy

Dude just wiped out hundreds of innocent people. There's no good left in him.

Crazier shit has happened. Grounders have killed loads yet still are seen as friends. People have killed others or gone completely mad yet are still welcome. There are basically only one or two good people in the whole show.

Beefy

Monty, Murphy and Miller are all still pretty high up on the likability factor. Hopefully Monty's mum doesn't suck Monty into the Pike movement once he gets back though.

Something about Murphy's face puts me off him, I agree about Monty though.

Yeah, Bob Morley and Eliza Taylor don't seem to like the possibility.

I like them a little more...

Joni

So is Octavia the easiest to like character now?
There are still people who don't like her for her 'cosplaying' as a grounder. I still prefer Clarke but Octavia is also a favorite, especially after the confrontation with Bellamy.

Lexa barely held onto power in Polis but yet she thinks her decision to not avenge her people is going to go well? Indra's statements are a coup in the making.

Also, I'm really glad Bellamy said all that shit to Clarke.

BSherrod

Honestly, some of the stuff Clarke does should be a little more cut throat at this point. Seems naive to try and be the Sky Person that stands in between a war, why would they do anything she says?

Skux

The Clark/Bellamy scene was good and helps us understand Bellamy a bit more. He trusted Clarke to save his people, but Clarke fucked things up by working too closely with the Grounders and then getting screwed over by Lexa

The thing is, there's no moral ambiguity to his latest atrocity to make it compelling. As the viewer we 100% know that Pike/Bellamy is in the wrong. There were never any hints of a plan for the Grounders to attack Arkadia, or any idea that the Grounders had warlike intent, or even any Grounders showing signs of aggression that could be misinterpreted as acts of war.

If there was, say, a rogue Grounder commander planning to attack Arkadia using a sneak attack of warriors who then got caught I could believe it. Pike and Bellamy would mistake the rogues for the whole group and wipe them out in retaliation. Throw in Bellamy's girlfriend dying at this point and boom, motive and ambiguity.

Meanwhile, the City of Light stuff just got really interesting. The show was missing this kind of Mt Weather mystery in its early episodes this season and it's just the kind of fuel that can keep viewers engaged (a la Flash's Zoom).

What time of year is this season currently set? Seems it's always dry or sunny, which it has been for near the whole show. Wasn't there an episode once where they tried to prepare for winter?

Joni

I'm thinking perpetual summer. The first season is September and October, second season is October, third season is January.

belushy

Banned
Caught up on the last 3 episodes.....

I'm hoping Pike's death is brutal. This isn't the show I liked from S1 and S2 :(

Skux

Yeah right now there's no one to root for. Clarke abandoned her people, Bellamy has gone full Trump, Jasper is a wreck, Jaha is a cult, Murphy has no idea what he's doing, and Monty Octavia and Lincoln just aren't in the story. Last seasons we had "good guys" where we could support their decisions even if they were extreme, but now it feels like everyone's just bad and it makes the show depressing.

I could maybe get behind Abby and Kane but they just don't have enough power to change their situation right now.

Yeah right now there's no one to root for. Clarke abandoned her people, Bellamy has gone full Trump, Jasper is a wreck, Jaha is a cult, Murphy has no idea what he's doing, and Monty Octavia and Lincoln just aren't in the story. Last seasons we had "good guys" where we could support their decisions even if they were extreme, but now it feels like everyone's just bad and it makes the show depressing.

Sure, if you think anyone who is morally grey is unlikable and unable to root for. You really think Clarke leaving her people was worse than killing hundreds of innocents (kids included) at Mt. Weather?

Top Bottom