• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

I can only hold out the hope that maybe Lexa can be brought back in some seriously full on sci-fi way with the chip being modified or some bullshit to grant her life.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Welp. Saw that coming given the insane amount of foreshadowing.

Unfortunately, it brings back old Buffy Vibes in a bad S6 way, but....what can you do.

We wait for the Lexa replacement, my friend.

Well, there's always Bellamy. Blegh.

Also, I kind of wonder if Clarke is (ending spoiler)
gonna insert the ALIE 2.0 into herself, given the promo material footage having been deduced as her being inside the city of light

Also I'm confused. Was Lexa an AI technically this whole time?

She just had the
'nice' AI guiding
her decisions for her people via the 'past commanders' and dreams.

Anyone but Bellamy

Agreed lol.

Metroidvania

They aren't going to put it in thst little boy who is suppose to take over?

There's a 'conclave', where the Nightbloods (presumably) jockey for it out in some way, shape or form.

Likely fighting, given the previous scenes we had with Aiden, but who knows.

Oh man, I hope that's not the case.

IMO, whoever the next commander is will just have a 'bit' of Lexa inside the city of light consciousness of what have you, helping them make decisions. Kind of like past Avatars from Airbender/Korra.

At least, that's my take.

@JRothenbergTV: Heartbreaking. Utterly heartbreaking. This is one of the hardest choices we’ve had to make in the series. #the100 #nospoilers
Why the hell did you need to make the damn choice? I understand death happens but this reeks of the bury the gays trope.

Jason Rothenberg: Had I always planned on killing Lexa? No. ...Alycia was only available to us for a short window of time, a certain number of episodes. We had to be done with her by Episode 7. So I knew that and I knew she was a series regular on another show [Fear the Walking Dead] that was definitely going to last.
Source.

So yeah, it was definitely because of Fear The Walking Dead. My irrational hatred of everything TWD (except the comics) is growing.

Metroidvania

Why the hell did you need to make the damn choice? I understand death happens but this reeks of the bury the gays trope.

IGN spoiler article about this ep. said it was due to contractual obligations with FTWD.

But yep, she was essentially fridged in near exactly the same method as Tara Maclay, no less.

The flashback stuff was good at least, and the ALIE plot is pretty interesting when there isn't a Jaha focus.

I wonder how big the backlash of this episode will be.

IGN spoiler article about this ep. said it was due to contractual obligations with FTWD.

But yep, she was essentially fridged in near exactly the same method as Tara Maclay, no less.
And I thought there was something said a few months back that they managed to find a way to work around Alycia Debnam-Carey's schedule. This sucks. I'm happy she landed a big enough show like Fear the Walking Dead, but Lexa was such a good character.

Literally a Tara rehash, down to the damn gun and all.

So when Clarke asked about Lexa's tattoo, she basically put it that there was a circle for every other Nightblood or something, right? Does that mean that Nightblood's are chosen in a type of 'fight to the death' scenario. Was the eighth one Ontari, given she looks to be Lexa's age and is a confirmed Nightblood?

Metroidvania

So when Clarke asked about Lexa's tattoo, she basically put it that there was a circle for every other Nightblood or something, right? Does that mean that Nightblood's are chosen in a type of 'fight to the death' scenario. Was the eighth one Ontari, given she looks to be Lexa's age and is a confirmed Nightblood?

Either that, or it could have been Costia, possibly? Hence Lexa not wanting to talk to Clarke about it while in bed together.

Anywho, I imagine that, extremely distasteful though Lexa's death was (not even in battle), was one of the only ways the writers could figure out how to keep Clarke in Polis to have a hand in commander selection and trying to keep the peace.

Not that that makes it better, mind.

Anywho, I imagine that, extremely distasteful though Lexa's death was (not even in battle), was one of the only ways the writers could figure out how to keep Clarke in Polis to have a hand in commander selection and trying to keep the peace.

Yeah it seems that way, which honestly just makes me more annoyed at it all. If a character dies because it's the writer's vision then fair enough.

I'm happy for Alycia Debnam Carey though, she was great and deserves more exposure.

Edit: Oh I misunderstood your post. I agree that the way she died is likely due to the restrictions they had with the actress, but I'm not sure if Clarke will stay in Polis after this episode.

Either that, or it could have been Costia, possibly? Hence Lexa not wanting to talk to Clarke about it while in bed together.

I'm not sure. Lexa not wanting to talk about it seems to set up a twist, and it's implied Costia died after Lexa became the Commander which would be after she earned the tatttoos.

I would like to think that but odds are Clarke is out of Polis by the next two episodes.

I don't care if this is a huge reach, I want Raven's brains combined with the assistance of ALIE's guidance to be able to put Lexa in an android body or some shit. Hell this is a sci-fi show, just have her somehow be brought back to life.

Metroidvania

Edit: Oh I misunderstood your post. I agree that the way she died is likely due to the restrictions they had with the actress, but I'm not sure if Clarke will stay in Polis after this episode.

I think she'll stay for a little bit, even if only to see Lexa 'off', as well as Murphy being around, and probably telling her how important the chip potentially is w/r/t Jaha and his shenanigans.

Not saying she'll stay for more than an ep. or two, tho.

PepperedHam

What could they have done with her character that could have worked as a write off aside from killing her? And something that makes sense storywise. Where would she be hiding? Would she go on some vision quest? Hide in the woods? They spend too much time in that tower for her to only be recurring. Fear is gonna be huge and last a long time, there wasn't really much else they could do. It's unfortunate that it happened to a gay character but anyone thinking that she was killed because of her sexuality... well, idk what to say. A cooler death might have made this easier to swallow for some, getting shot by baldy was pretty lame but people on Twitter are making this into something it's not. Parts of the twitter fandom frighten me.

Sober

I think she'll stay for a little bit, even if only to see Lexa 'off', as well as Murphy being around, and probably telling her how important the chip potentially is w/r/t Jaha and his shenanigans.

It's pretty obvious she missed the window to leave before the kill order around Arkadia was to be enforced. But the bigger concern now is probably to stick around and make sure the proper commander gets brought in or they will just order the other 12 clans to take revenge.

Faenix1

What could they have done with her character that could have worked as a write off aside from killing her? And something that makes sense storywise. Where would she be hiding? Would she go on some vision quest? Hide in the woods? They spend too much time in that tower for her to only be recurring. Fear is gonna be huge and last a long time, there wasn't really much else they could do. It's unfortunate that it happened to a gay character but anyone thinking that she was killed because of her sexuality... well, idk what to say. A cooler death might have made this easier to swallow for some, getting shot by baldy was pretty lame but people on Twitter are making this into something it's not. Parts of the twitter fandom frighten me.

Only reason it bugs me is the way she went.

I would of rather she went out in battle, or something. Maybe set up Grounders/Arkadia vs Ice Nation.

Metroidvania

It's unfortunate that it happened to a gay character but anyone thinking that she was killed because of her sexuality... well, idk what to say. A cooler death might have made this easier to swallow for some, getting shot by baldy was pretty lame but people on Twitter are making this into something it's not. Parts of the twitter fandom frighten me.

She wasn't killed b/c of her sexuality, but I don't think that 'being a lesbian' is usually the reason for a lesbian's death in media representation, at least presently. The outcry if that happened wouuld be hugely more massive than this.

Doesn't stop their deaths from happening more than it should, though.

Any death in battle, or hell, even actively saving Clarke instead of a ricochet, would have been better, imo.

It's pretty obvious she missed the window to leave before the kill order around Arkadia was to be enforced. But the bigger concern now is probably to stick around and make sure the proper commander gets brought in or they will just order the other 12 clans to take revenge.

Yeah, I lol'd when I saw Octavia and Indra leaving - the sun was definitely well past dawn, lol.

Yeah, true actually, it makes sense for her to stay.

Only reason it bugs me is the way she went.

Exactly.
I would've honestly preferred a grounder to kill her like how one attempted to at the start of the episode. At least she would've died for peace, it would have been a fitting ending to this arc.
Instead, she got hit by a random bullet.

Lexa deserved to die, she kept making stupid decisions for waifu Clarke.

I wonder what the significance of the black blood is though, nanites in the system to support the AI chip?

Loved the Polaris flashbacks, that was utterly awesome and we saw Roger Cross (Curtis from 24) as the ships commander. That AI researcher fucked over Polaris SO badly, like waiting until the last few seconds to eject as hundreds of people around her get murdered. Damn thats cold.

Sober

She wasn't killed b/c of her sexuality, but I don't think that 'being a lesbian' is usually the reason for a lesbian's death in media representation, at least presently. The outcry if that happened wouuld be hugely more massive than this.

Doesn't stop their deaths from happening more than it should, though.

Any death in battle, or hell, even actively saving Clarke instead of a ricochet, would have been better, imo.
Yeah Lexa definitely wasn't killed because she's a lesbian but I think it does come a time where there we reached that point where we have a somewhat more decent and nuanced representation of lgbtq+ characters and writers/creators/whatever still killing people off because they let that genie out of the bottle big time in the last decade and to be fair it usually works as long as you put the work into not making it seem cheap. Eventually you reach the point where one of these characters gets killed off.

But again I also understand that part of the fandom really took a liking to her. And I did as well. But I'm also hopeful of what happens moving forward too.

Like I said, the death didn't feel too cheap because it also contributed to the overall imagery (Titus making the incision to retrieve the thing vs. Becca's scar) and to be honest the overall imagery of this episode feels like a step above what the show usually delivers. And because this also will propel a lot of what will probably be going on in Polis. Like choosing a new Commander and what that also entails.

And to fridging comments, call me old fashioned but I usually only reserve that for when it's done to people women who have little or no agency and Lexa was not one of them. Bellamy's girlfriend, sure, but not Lexa.

Lexa's death just feels sloppily written, especially with how there is no heroic or meaningful death but her striding into the room at the wrong time and getting shot.

And it's annoying that we have a major part of the first part of this season being dedicated to building up the trust between Clarke and Lexa, ultimately cultivating in Clarke finally accepting her feelings for her and then...she just dies. I don't know, I don't think they killed off with the intention of pulling a bury your gays type trope, but at the same time it bugs me and comes off as not as clever as the writers may have thought it was.

harSon

Banned
I'm not surprised. I expected her to die at some point due to Fear the Walking Dead. I thought she'd die sooner actually.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Hot damn, another great episode. And, it's just like many of the Gaffers here predicted the Grounders, specifically the Commander, is descended from the 13th station. So much fuckery going on in that episode my mind is just all over the place with the implications. As for Lexa's death, I'm all for it. It sucks that it was apparently due to contract negotiations but I still enjoy a show where none of the characters are safe.

It's time for Clarke to step the fuck up and declare herself a ruler of these savages. These people are apparently being controlled by a fucked up AI system, time to bring some logic and science to these savages.

Lexa's death just feels sloppily written, especially with how there is no heroic or meaningful death but her striding into the room at the wrong time and getting shot.

And it's annoying that we have a major part of the first part of this season being dedicated to building up the trust between Clarke and Lexa, ultimately cultivating in Clarke finally accepting her feelings for her and then...she just dies. I don't know, I don't think they killed off with the intention of pulling a bury your gays type trope, but at the same time it bugs me and comes off as not as clever as the writers may have thought it was.

Why must her death be heroic? Also, I'm sure her death will have plenty of meaning considering how it will effect Clarke and the entire Grounder clans.

Faenix1

You know, the more I think about it the more I feel the Pike stuff completely ruined Lexa's death - at least for me.

At least with the Grounders it, more or less, feels justified. Some foreign crew drops from the sky and tries to settle near/in your territory. What Arkadia did should of never happened. They could of invited Arkadia into the Coalition due to Clarke being Wanheda and that starts up some Grounder Civil War stuff. Eventually resulting in Lexa's assassination.

IMO, that would of been a better way to go. Not this "Can't get revenge on Arkadia cause I'm Clarke's bitch" route they took. But that's me and I'm most likely wrong.

Knew that was happening but still that sucked... But yeah, it seems like Lexa is another in a long line of decedents from the AI lady and I'm guessing the AI is continuously learning over the last 97 or whatever years so whoever the next commander is will probably be influenced by Lexa's experiences. I imagine at some point ALLIE and ALLIE 2.0 that's in the commander line is either going to "meet" or 1.0 is going to be trying to get a hold of it to destroy or it's going to be uploaded to her and alter the 1.0 version or something and they end up with a version of the Patriots, heh.

TripOpt55

I will miss Lexa. She was great even if I didn't love all of her recent decisions. I really like the backstory with Polaris and how it connected to the Grounders/Commanders with the AI thing. That was just super cool stuff.

Okay, I need to stop looking at the 100 hashtag and the meltdown...

I mean, it could've been differently, heroically but we knew Lexa was a gonner before the season even started due to Alycia Debnam-Carey's Fear the Walking Dead commitments.

Sober

Posted this elsewhere but I think it bears repeating:

I don't think Lexa was fridged at all, nor was it really intentionally killing off a lgtbq+ character for shock value. I mean if anything Lexa is one of the more nuanced characters I've seen put to screen, and she just happens to be a lesbian (for simplicity's sake). And she has a ton of agency in the show. Maybe it's just me but I go with the old-fashioned definition of fridging a (female) character and it's basically someone incidental to simply motivate a male character into action. And we've literally seen it this season (Bellamy's 5 minute girlfriend, Gina) so 1) I get why this fear isn't unfounded but 2) that one I feel is a much clearer, obvious example of it happening.

As for killing off lgbtq+ characters, fair warning I am a cis/hetero male (my only concession is I'm not white), but again, her homosexuality was not the defining trait of that character. And I don't think lgbtq+ characters should somehow be 'safe' from being killed off because that's essentially asking for gay plot armour and not productive at all.

Although obviously I will concede the point that lgbtq+ representation isn't as stellar as it should be (or other non-white representation) so I completely get why a f/f ship (or whatever you want to be invested in) is something those particular fans will cling onto dear life for and take it personally if or when something like this happens that causes that to no longer exist. This isn't the first time and not the last and I am not immune from this either, but at the end of the day the circumstances involved are complicated, at least the writing surrounding it is for the most part well done and communicates nuance at that moment and promises to moving forward, and the feelings of the fandom for one and many other reasons are also complicated and obviously matter as well.

Metroidvania

Although obviously I will concede the point that lgbtq+ representation isn't as stellar as it should be (or other non-white representation) so I completely get why a f/f ship (or whatever you want to be invested in) is something those particular fans will cling onto dear life for and take it personally if or when something like this happens that causes that to no longer exist. This isn't the first time and not the last and I am not immune from this either, but at the end of the day the circumstances involved are complicated, at least the writing surrounding it is for the most part well done and communicates nuance at that moment and promises to moving forward, and the feelings of the fandom for one and many other reasons are also complicated and obviously matter as well.

A big part of it, from what I've gathered, is that as a part of the ship wars/ratings game, the producer basically gave a lot of 'Clexa is going to reunite', 'it won't just be Bellarke, both groups will be happy' kind of messages continuously throughout this season.

Technically not untrue, they had their 5 minutes of being together, but going from the reading of those style of interviews, tweets and the like, only to have her get senselessly killed just after actually culminating a relationship is extremely similar to the other examples that still happen in today's media.

PepperedHam

Okay, I need to stop looking at the 100 hashtag and the meltdown...

I mean, it could've been differently, heroically but we knew Lexa was a gonner before the season even started due to Alycia Debnam-Carey's Fear the Walking Dead commitments.
The twitter fandom has a meltdown every week about something. They rip Jason Rothenberg a new asshole about something every week. I had never followed the show weekly before, caught the first two seasons on Netflix so I'm not sure if it was always like this but holy shitballs, they see so much red. They wanted to boycott the show when Bellamy deflected but tonight was the tipping point and now they just wanna hurl insults at the writers and get the show completely cancelled. It's something to behold.

What's sad is I thought tonight's episode was great. I loved that they're finally merging the multiple plot threads and the backstory of the AI and the end of the world was great, I loved all of it. A lot of good stuff is getting overshadowed by this. The show is about more than Clarke and Lexa. It's like some of these fans aren't paying attention to the bigger picture. Maybe I'm not seeing it from their perspective, either way, this season has been a whirlwind.

They could at least have made it a slightly better death then 'hey guys, I heard gunfire and thought I'd check out what's going on' and walking into a stray bullet. It will be painful to see ADC be a moping teen on FTWD when she's been so good in all the different sides of Lexa here and realize this is why Lexa had to die.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
A circle for every night blood that died before the commander chose her.

Guessing after a commander dies they implant the chip on all the night blood kids until they find one compatible with the A.I. Those that aren't compatible must not be able to survive the procedure, maybe cause the chip wasn't fully baked (the twitch Becca was trying to fix in Polaris).

If my theory is right, Lexa was number 8 and her dead girlfriend who she was talking about with Titus was number 9.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't say I'll miss Lexa. She was always one of my least favorite characters and I feel like her presence has dragged this season down, somewhat. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens now that she's finally out of the picture. :)

Hamlet

Lexa :(
Great episode otherwise. Loved all of the Polaris flashbacks and it certainly makes the whole ALIE a plot a lot more interesting.
Good choice of the show also to give more time to the Polaris flashbacks rather than Arcadia, made for a nice little break from Pike too heh.

NightOnyx

Really great episode. I love all the Polaris and Commander stuff, and how that all ties into the grounders. All the Clexa stuff was done really well also, and I'm glad they finally hooked up. I personally thought Lexa was an awesome character, but I understand why some people got annoyed with her this season. I'm sad to see her go though but I think it definitely works well with the story and doesn't just feel like they killed her because of Fear the Walking Dead. I'm also excited that John Murphy will be around Clarke more, he's one of my favorite characters, so him being around Clarke will get him more screen time.

So yeah, just a really interesting and good episode. My only slight complaint was how quickly it went from the Clexa bed scene to Lexa dying. It felt kind of clumsy and could have been spaced out better. I'm fine with everything that happened, but I think it would have worked better if it wasn't done quite so quickly.

Looks like next episode is Arcadia focused so I really hope they can make that stuff as interesting as this episode was. I really hope that Kane can finally talk some sense into Bellemy because I'm really ready for his redemption story to start up.

Top Bottom