• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

zeemumu

I can't take what is supposed to be the ultimate punishment in their society seriously because I keep imagining that Pennywise is just out of frame laughing his ass off.

Tumblr_mxt3xs87EF1r2r5igo1_500.gif

zeemumu

LEAVE CLARKE ALONE

She'll float, Dragonz. THEY'LL ALL FLOAT.

In all seriousness I like Clarke more than most of the cast, but I feel like she should be better than some of the mistakes that she's made. I don't think she shouldn't make any mistake at all, though. Characters that are pure perfection are intolerable (looking at you, early age Superman).

With regards to Bellamy, the writer kind of explained how to understand him you have to consider what he has been through in isolation. The betrayal at the end of season 2 had a big impact on him considering he risked his life to pull off the plan and relied on help from the insiders who were later massacred. He saw the little kids going to school who would be burnt alive by radiation. Then he was betrayed by the grounder who he had built up a trust with in the mountain,and his girlfriend and a bunch of innocent people were massacred.
His point of view kind of makes sense, although he is obviously having second thoughts about how extreme pike is being.

Yup I think Bellamy has had it pretty bad mental wise. I'm surprised he hasn't had a breakdown.

She'll float, Dragonz. THEY'LL ALL FLOAT.

In all seriousness I like Clarke more than most of the cast, but I feel like she should be better than some of the mistakes that she's made. I don't think she shouldn't make any mistake at all, though. Characters that are pure perfection are intolerable (looking at you, early age Superman).

Season 2 finale, breh. Season 2 finale.

The year is 2090. I am 98. An old woman, who has lived a fruitful life. I have a family. I have done so much in my time on this planet, but my time is near.

I lay on my deathbed, surrounded by a horde of candles and my loved ones. In the background, a violin softly plays. My breaths come unevenly, and with great effort. A single tear drops down the face of my grandson. I float in and out of consciousness, watching behind fluttering eyelids as my life passes me by.

Suddenly, I wake with a start. My family, surprised that I am still conscious, crowds around me.

I try to choke out a sentence, but the words to not come without great effort.

"Everyone, quiet!" my grandson exclaims. "She's trying to tell us something!"

Finally, I manage to say the three words that had consumed me for years.

"Lexa...deserved...better..."

And then death embraces me.

My family stands around my still warm body in utter silence. Suddenly, a small voice ventures forward.

"...who the fuck is Lexa?"

I'm just trying to cope okay

The year is 2090. I am 98. An old woman, who has lived a fruitful life. I have a family. I have done so much in my time on this planet, but my time is near.

I lay on my deathbed, surrounded by a horde of candles and my loved ones. In the background, a violin softly plays. My breaths come unevenly, and with great effort. A single tear drops down the face of my grandson. I float in and out of consciousness, watching behind fluttering eyelids as my life passes me by.

Suddenly, I wake with a start. My family, surprised that I am still conscious, crowds around me.

I try to choke out a sentence, but the words to not come without great effort.

"Everyone, quiet!" my grandson exclaims. "She's trying to tell us something!"

Finally, I manage to say the three words that had consumed me for years.

"Lexa...deserved...better..."

And then death embraces me.

My family stands around my still warm body in utter silence. Suddenly, a small voice ventures forward.

"...who the fuck is Lexa?"

I'm just trying to cope okay

Yeah it hit me hard too..

foxtrot3d

Banned
Many believe that Lexa is eight and Costia is nine. 1-7 all failed to accept the AI and died, and then Lexa accepted it. Thus, she saved Costia by being just one step ahead in line.

Or...it wouldn't resonate with you if you weren't fucking gay or bisexual. If you had hope in something good and then got the worst possible outcome. Stop dismissing valid opinions and feelings based on what YOU feel and know. Believe it or not, there are other people on this planet who are just as validated in their opinions. I've tried to be patient, to explain this the best I can, but I'm done. It's insulting to put so much effort into a rational discussion to simply get an "eh".

Trust me I DO get it, I may not be gay or bisexual but I am a black guy so I know a little about being stepped on by society. But, this is one of those times where me understanding an issue doesn't mean that the ultimate decision surrounding it was wrong. I totally get why people are upset and why they grew so attached to those characters and their relationship. At the same time I don't think there was a problem with her death. Shit, they killed of all the black people on 24 and in stupid dirty ways too. But, I just had to take that shit and keep watching.

How they gonna not even give Curtis a silent clock!? Fuck you, 24.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
With regards to Bellamy, the writer kind of explained how to understand him you have to consider what he has been through in isolation. The betrayal at the end of season 2 had a big impact on him considering he risked his life to pull off the plan and relied on help from the insiders who were later massacred. He saw the little kids going to school who would be burnt alive by radiation. Then he was betrayed by the grounder who he had built up a trust with in the mountain,and his girlfriend and a bunch of innocent people were massacred.
His point of view kind of makes sense, although he is obviously having second thoughts about how extreme pike is being.

Throughout the show I compared Bellamy to that of a Big Boss or a soldier who knows how to pick his battles and who to pick them with. A person who also has to make hard choices when dealt with terrible situations. Not necessarily a good guy, but someone who wouldn't kill children on purpose either because he still had a moral compass. However, he has never truly turned completely evil/insane nor was he really influenced by it. He almost tried to massacre a village with children in it willingly(with no hard choices behind the action) an episode ago. In my eyes this is character regression.

What you've explained with the writers' point of view has a point, but I just don't see how after 1 season, Bellamy would not learn the right lessons from all of Finn's horrible mistakes and would instead choose to follow the same path of insanity that would ultimately lead to his demise as well. A part of me still believes he is deep undercover, especially going from his previous history of being undercover as a security guard when Jaha was floating everyone left and right on the Ark during Season 1. I'd rather accept this than the very black and white mentality of 'Grounder Bad!' and 'Sky Crew Good!'.

Trust me I DO get it, I may not be gay or bisexual but I am a black guy so I know a little about being stepped on by society. But, this is one of those times where me understanding an issue doesn't mean that the ultimate decision surrounding it was wrong. I totally get why people are upset and why they grew so attached to those characters and their relationship. At the same time I don't think there was a problem with her death. Shit, they killed of all the black people on 24 and in stupid dirty ways too. But, I just had to take that shit and keep watching.

How they gonna not even give Curtis a silent clock!? Fuck you, 24.

I am sorry if this is frank, but you say "I don't think there was a problem with her death." Which is the whole issue. Because yes, while you undoubtedly understand what it is like to be trampled on by society, you do not understand what it means in regards to the LGBTQ community. On the flip side, them killing off all the black characters on 24 does mean something to you, while, as a white woman myself, I cannot even begin to fathom the specific instances that you have experienced that led to your opinion on those characters. I do not mean this in a negative way. There is a disassociation between us, because of who we are and what we have experienced. You will never understand how upset I am over Lexa, and I will never understand the true heart of your feelings in regards to the poor treatment of minorities in media. I have an idea, but at it's core, I don't know. Not truly. And I'm not going to pretend to know. What I can do, however, is sympathize. Which goes both ways; a lot of people are hurting over this death. A little bit of compassion would undoubtedly go a long way.

And that is why this discussion will never be resolved. Because Lexa meant something special to me, and she didn't necessarily to you. Not saying it's inherently wrong for things to be this way; it's just how it is.

Learning the actress behind Lexa only had 7 episodes this season due to FWD commitments makes Black Trump's rushed plot make a little more sense, they had to run through that quickly to get to Lexa's death. It woulda been nice to see some more nuance and plot development rather than "all grounders are evil, lets build a wall out of their bodies" but in many ways Pike is really the ultimate Ark-ist.

I mean hell, Polaris got BLOWN THE FUCK UP after asking for like... 5 minutes of delay? No "this is your final warning" or "are you guys stuck or some shit? need help?" just "to make everyone else afraid we decided to blow you up" The ark-ists floated any activity deemed non-legit, extra babies had to live in the floorboards, and they sent 100 kids to the ground hoping it wasn't lethal. Killing everyone not like them isn't a huge stretch for people who have lived like that for 100 years.

Its too bad they made the timeline +97 years post apocalypse, kinda makes it weird the grounders have virtually no history of their own. Feels like it would take a good 200-300 years for oral history to get mangled badly enough to not have much. I wonder if they will ever visit other areas of the world, be interesting to see how good or bad other spots ended up.

Joni

Yeah, it was awkward as hell that she's in the pilot billed for the main cast and then just...gone. I think it was said by a producer that she floated off-screen.

Luckily she never felt that important to the plot in the pilot, and it is more time for the youngsters to shine.

L I wonder if they will ever visit other areas of the world, be interesting to see how good or bad other spots ended up.

We've already seen New York (it's a desert), and you can assume how everything else ended up based on the clans (not all of them though, wtf is Shadow Valley?):

Trikru- Woods Clan

latest

Azgeda - Ice Nation

Floudonkru - Boat People

Sangedakru - Desert Clan

Podakru - Lake People

Delfikru - Delphi Clan

latest

Trishana - Glowing Forest

latest

Ingranrona - Plains Riders

Ouskejon Kru - Blue Cliff Clan

Louwoda Kilron - Shallow Valley

latest

Boudalan - Rock Line

latest

Yujleda - Broadleaf

latest

Joni

In the end, those clans likely only represent the North West of America and maybe a bit of Southern Canada. Once they are done with that, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a group of nomads fleeing from the South or something like that.

jwk94

Luckily she never felt that important to the plot in the pilot, and it is more time for the youngsters to shine.

But she kinda was important not because of what she did but because of who she was. I mean this lady was Clarke's mom's best friend AND what'-his-name's wife. Not just some random friend nobody cared about. It's so weird that at least he never mentions his wife ever again.

Joni

But she kinda was important not because of what she did but because of who she was. I mean this lady was Clarke's mom's best friend AND what'-his-name's wife. Not just some random friend nobody cared about. It's so weird that at least he never mentions his wife ever again.

She was married to Kane? Wikia just seems to imply they had a non-specified relationship.

kirblar

In the end, those clans likely only represent the North West of America and maybe a bit of Southern Canada. Once they are done with that, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a group of nomads fleeing from the South or something like that.
They're in the DC/VA/MD/WV area, no? (the Lincoln head being a big giveaway)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Got more Lexa than I expected this season, honestly. With her commitment to Fear the Walking Dead, her being a regular on both just wouldn't be viable long term. Sad to see the character go, but at least we got a great arc with her for a good chunk of the season.

The mythology of this show is really exploding. I'm digging how the religion of the grounders ties not only into Alie, but also the Ark people as well. It's all connected!

Somnia

So the more I think about it the more I agree with some peoples thoughts that Ontari will either murder the night bloods or somehow become the commander over all of them. They've hinted heavily she will have some form of a romance, but not with someone we expected. I'm ruling out Clarke as I think they are going to keep her out of romances for awhile for obvious reasons, I think Ontari is going to have a relationship with Murphy... just a hunch.

I do still think at the end of the season that Clarke will somehow get the AI chip or somehow Allie 1.0 will merge with the Allie 2.0 and Clarke will enter that version. The best thought would be somehow Clarke defeats Ontari at the end and somehow gets the chip/becomes the commander and has to defeat Allie 1.0 within the new CoL... that or they'll destroy the City of Light completely, thus killing Lexa a second time :(

Somnia

The writers confirmed on Tumblr it's not Clarke.

Thank fucking god.

Ya I JUST saw that after posting that lol

Another train of thought... Allie 1.0 invades the "spirit of the commander/allie 2.0" and Ontari goes crazy or does some very insane things which leads to Clarke vs. Ontari. Clarke wins, get's the chip and must "enter" the CoL to defeat/fix it from Allie 1.0 somehow. At the end she has a reunion and goodbye with Lexa before passing it to the new commander...

I like that idea better.

Julie Benson (writer on the show) told fans this morning on Periscope that Alycia told them she could come back despite her schedule and commitment to FTWD, and that she wanted to come back.

I mean

Joni

Julie Benson (writer on the show) told fans this morning on Periscope that Alycia told them she could come back despite her schedule and commitment to FTWD, and that she wanted to come back.

I mean

The question is however when and how long? Rothenberg wants to tell a story and if he doesn't have the actors for all the time he needs them, then stuff like this needs to happen. Writing out Indra worked because she isn't really important to the plot anymore and even that felt lame.

The question is however when and how long? Rothenberg wants to tell a story and if he doesn't have the actors for all the time he needs them, then stuff like this needs to happen. Writing out Indra worked because she isn't really important to the plot anymore and even that felt lame.

How did Lexa not work for the plot anymore? She had a vital connection to the main protagonist, not only romantically, but also at the core of her story and season 3 arc.

If you're going to argue that she needed to die for us to see the Conclave, to progress the story, whatever else, I just can't believe that's true. You already had an arc with her and Clarke trying to maintain peace. War was already brewing. She didn't need to die for that to happen. It was going to happen anyway.

As for the AI storyline, why not flashbacks to Becca establishing the Grounder culture? I mean, they did it with the Polaris shit.

Somnia

How did Lexa not work for the plot anymore? She had a vital connection to the main protagonist, not only romantically, but also at the core of her story and season 3 arc.

If you're going to argue that she needed to die for us to see the Conclave, to progress the story, whatever else, I just can't believe that's true. You already had an arc with her and Clarke trying to maintain peace. War was already brewing. She didn't need to die for that to happen. It was going to happen anyway.

As for the AI storyline, why not flashbacks to Becca establishing the Grounder culture? I mean, they did it with the Polaris shit.

I agree with you here on pretty much everything, but that I'm sure if they could have got a commitment for like 6-7 episodes a season as a guest star or if they had made the move during season 2 to give her a full cast role prior to agreeing to FTWD, this story would be different right now.

For now though we don't know exactly where the story is heading and maybe they couldn't tell what they have planned if they could only get her for 1-2 episodes a year. I'll wait to judge that till I see more of the story.

However we also don't know how long AMC would keep negotiating to let her on the show, AMC are not known as a good company to do that sadly :(

Apparently there's some confusion on the periscope thing, some people are saying she said Alycia wanted to come back, others are saying she said Alycia said she could come back. Sadly it was taken down so we'll never know.

Joni

Yes, we agree. Lexa is important for the plot so how can you write half of the episodes without her present. It is already noticeable for Indra that she is hardly there. Lexa is even more central. So you need her on set a lot. Could amc promise that? Just look at the trouble to get the Arrowverse crossovers done which are made by the same team. The 100 wouldn't have access to a central piece even if amc lets her have as many time as possible. So then you need to move on, maybe kill her faster than you wanted to but still ending up on the same part. Hoping that you would have enough time to film with her is a bad planning move. These are things no writer or actor can answer. That is on producer and even executive level.

Somnia

I wish Jason and co. would have spotted how great Alycia was while filming season 2 before she signed on with Fear the Walking Dead. I mean don't get me wrong, going to Fear is a great move for her career and will get her way more exposure on her way to being a film star. However... AMC aren't exactly known to be great to work with for actors/actresses so I hope it all works out for her over there.

Joni

I wish Jason and co. would have spotted how great Alycia was while filming season 2 before she signed on with Fear the Walking Dead. I mean don't get me wrong, going to Fear is a great move for her career and will get her way more exposure on her way to being a film star. However... AMC aren't exactly known to be great to work with for actors/actresses so I hope it all works out for her over there.
The CW does tend to recycle actors so I think she would have a second shot at that point.

jwk94

Speaking of Indra, I realize she's been outta the game in the show, but what's going on with her actor? Why has she been gone? Also, did we ever figure out what Flinn's actor did prior to season 2 to get such an about face? I mean dude got ran through the coals out of nowhere.

Alycia wanting to come back after season 3 doesn't really mean anything, for reasons mostly already stated above. The show can't revolve around one character.
It makes sense that the best way to go forward with the show was to kill Lexa off, I just wish her death was done differently.

And on that point, some of the shit I've seen in the fandom over the past few days is pretty disgusting. From all the abuse being hurled at Jason (and other writers) to abusing/bullying other LGBT fans who merely disagreed with people wanting the show to be cancelled. I know (fucking hope) it's likely just a small, vocal, minority of clexa fans.

I wonder if that was Costia, who the Ice Queen beheaded and put at Lexa's bed.

Many believe that Lexa is eight and Costia is nine. 1-7 all failed to accept the AI and died, and then Lexa accepted it. Thus, she saved Costia by being just one step ahead in line.

I might be wrong, and I don't think they've really explained it much, but I was under the impression that everyone was tested at the same time, because surely they need to choose a commander at the end of it. If not, what happens if none get picked?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Speaking of Indra, I realize she's been outta the game in the show, but what's going on with her actor? Why has she been gone? Also, did we ever figure out what Flinn's actor did prior to season 2 to get such an about face? I mean dude got ran through the coals out of nowhere.

Just a guess, but she has a starring role in the upcoming WGN series Underground.

I never heard anything concrete on him, just rumors that he would act like a douche, even to fans. Honestly, I'm willing to believe it. There's being written off a show and there's getting the ejector button off a show. They floated his character's ass so quick when Season 2 started. And it wasn't just him getting killed, they really got rid of any of his redeeming qualities.

kirblar

When CW casts get larger, they start cycling actors in/out to save money. It gets really blatant.

Somnia

Alycia wanting to come back after season 3 doesn't really mean anything, for reasons mostly already stated above. The show can't revolve around one character.
It makes sense that the best way to go forward with the show was to kill Lexa off, I just wish her death was done differently.

And on that point, some of the shit I've seen in the fandom over the past few days is pretty disgusting. From all the abuse being hurled at Jason to abusing/bullying other LGBT fans who merely disagreed with people wanting the show to be cancelled. I know (fucking hope) it's likely just a small, vocal, minority of clexa fans.

The death threats, etc are very uncalled for. Having legit criticism is fine, but you're right some fans have gone too far. I'm glad we've all for the most part been very open to discussion here on GAF and kept our heads cool discussing everything.

I do think the biggest issue is how and when she died. That entire thing could have been handled in a much better way and I think Javier (writer) and Jason know it.

I might be wrong, and I don't think they've really explained it much, but I was under the impression that everyone was tested at the same time, because surely they need to choose a commander at the end of it. If not, what happens if none get picked?

How could you know who the AI would choose if it wasn't implanted directly? There's no other way to know who it would work for other than through trial and error. If no one is picked, I suppose the Fleimkappa would keep the spirit safe until more Nightbloods were found. I kind of see him as The 100's Hand of the King.

Somnia

How could you know who the AI would choose if it wasn't implanted directly? There's no other way to know who it would work for other than through trial and error. If no one is picked, I suppose the Fleimkappa would keep the spirit safe until more Nightbloods were found. I kind of see him as The 100's Hand of the King.

Which would be interesting if it rejects all of the night bloods including Ontari and somehow Titus discovers it want's Clarke (maybe its connections move her direction, who knows, I'm no writer! lol)... there's a lot of ways they could take this.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I am sorry if this is frank, but you say "I don't think there was a problem with her death." Which is the whole issue. Because yes, while you undoubtedly understand what it is like to be trampled on by society, you do not understand what it means in regards to the LGBTQ community. On the flip side, them killing off all the black characters on 24 does mean something to you, while, as a white woman myself, I cannot even begin to fathom the specific instances that you have experienced that led to your opinion on those characters. I do not mean this in a negative way. There is a disassociation between us, because of who we are and what we have experienced. You will never understand how upset I am over Lexa, and I will never understand the true heart of your feelings in regards to the poor treatment of minorities in media. I have an idea, but at it's core, I don't know. Not truly. And I'm not going to pretend to know. What I can do, however, is sympathize. Which goes both ways; a lot of people are hurting over this death. A little bit of compassion would undoubtedly go a long way.

And that is why this discussion will never be resolved. Because Lexa meant something special to me, and she didn't necessarily to you. Not saying it's inherently wrong for things to be this way; it's just how it is.

You're right.

I don't mean to dredge this discussion back up but I can say that with regards to me personally, story will always trump my emotional attachment to any character.

(24 SPOILERS)

I'm going to start talking about 24 Spoilers so if people haven't seen the show then don't read.

Any way, in 24 there were a lot of diverse characters but none were as important or special as first Senator, then President David Palmer, played by Dennis Haysbert. Now, I cannot understate how huge it was to have a black guy playing the President in such a high profile show that was "24" at its peak. Remember, Obama was a long ways away and this was at the start of the Bush years, the idea of a black President wasn't as ingrained in the public consciousness at the time. I think Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact was the last time we'd seen such a thing.

In any event, President Palmer became a big draw with regards to "24" and helped display to the public what a black President could be like. Numerous commentators have stated that they believe that Dennis Haysbert's portrayal of Pres. Palmer helped the campaign of Barack Obama due to the fact that viewers had long been comfortable with the idea of a black President thanks to "24." Now, imagine the fucking shock that took place wen in S5 of "24," now ex-President Palmer is assassinated. WHAT!? For all the years 24 had been one there had been essentially four staple characters, Jack Bauer, Tony Almeida, Chole O'Brien (who came on in S2), and President Palmer and they just put a bullet right through his head.

Now, his assassination angered a lot of people and I think even Dennis Haysbert himself said he didn't like the decision. However, his assassination kicked off the plot that led to what many consider to be one of the best seasons of 24. So did it suck that he was assassinated, the man who was basically the living symbol of the political dreams of black America? Yeah. But, as upset as people might have been it made for a great fucking story and an amazing season.

That said, personally I'm not a huge fan of S5 of "24" as it started to take the show down the path of the ultra-conspiracy which it never really dug itself out of. Still, it is probably one of the top 3 seasons of the show. Also, in hindsight you can't get mad that Palmer bit the bullet since nearly every character not named Jack or Chloe was pretty much killed off by the series end. 24 was ballsy as fuck when it came to deaths even before GoT introduced the rest of TV audiences to the concept.

Top Bottom