• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

Somnia

CW gets a lot of local networks to delay their broadcasts due to NCAA stuff right now also, which would kill their shows ratings.

BTW, I don't know if Jason is doing anything due to the backlash but he is still editing the finale. Layne posted on Twitter a few days after all the backlash happened that she was watching Jason perform magic in the editing room for the finale.

What this exactly means who knows, but a lot can be done with editing in TV/Movies.
What exactly do you think they could do? Storylines are thought up well in advance so the production crew can be put into place. This season is a done deal and they're not going to resurrect your favorite character for the finale.

Somnia

What exactly do you think they could do? Storylines are thought up well in advance so the production crew can be put into place. This season is a done deal and they're not going to resurrect your favorite character for the finale.

1) I didn't say anything about resurrecting anyone so no idea why you would even say that, in fact that wasn't even on my mind.

2) I'm putting this in spoilers to be safe so don't read it if you don't want!
Jason could easily be removing some scenes or adjusting the length of some scenes based off the reactions. This has been done in TV forever, it's nothing new. The amount of things that can be adjusted or changed through editing is pretty large.

Just caught up. Black Trump is psycho. I hope Bellamy gets his shit together but he's gonna need some serious counseling lol.

What was with all the online backlash? Did that have something to do with Clarke and Lexa hooking up?

Just caught up. Black Trump is psycho. I hope Bellamy gets his shit together but he's gonna need some serious counseling lol.

What was with all the online backlash? Did that have something to do with Clarke and Lexa hooking up?

Not the hooking up itself per-se, but the fact that they banged and then she died in the stupidest fucking way literally five minutes later.

Also there's a huge "LGBTQ fans deserve better" movement happening, because there isn't nearly enough positive representation for the community on TV.

Not the hooking up itself per-se, but the fact that they banged and then she died in the stupidest fucking way literally five minutes later.

Also there's a huge "LGBTQ fans deserve better" movement happening, because there isn't nearly enough positive representation for the community on TV.
Thanks for the clarification. They've rushed a few things this season, like Pike winning the chancellor vote and Bellamy's heel turn. Would help if they got locked into an episode count each season instead of going wildly up and down.

Joni

Thanks for the clarification. They've rushed a few things this season, like Pike winning the chancellor vote and Bellamy's heel turn. Would help if they got locked into an episode count each season instead of going wildly up and down.

They are informed about the episode count before they started writing though. The season is also 16 episodes like last year.

Alycia responds to Lexa's death

Ahead of the Fear the Walking Dead panel at PaleyFest on Saturday, Alycia Debnam-Carey told EW she was “surprised by the intensity and the fury” of the fan reaction after Lexa’s death. “I don’t think anyone on the show expected such social outcry,” she said. “I think any attention we can draw to a movement like that is an amazing thing, and is a great thing to pursue and keep working towards.”

Some fans of The CW’s post-apocalyptic drama have called for a boycott in the wake of Lexa’s death — only one episode has aired following her exit; the show has since been on hiatus. “It is important to note that the decisions only ever come from love and trust within the show,” Debnam-Carey said. “I don’t think it was ever intended to aggravate anyone in a social situation. There’s so much love for that character, like from me, from the writers and from Jason [Rothenberg]. I hate to hear people wanting to not watch the show anymore for a certain reason like that. I do understand, of course, it’s a social issue. If people are feeling that way, it’s really important to recognize.”

As for how she personally felt about Lexa’s exit, Debnam-Carey stressed that it felt definitive, though she stayed mum on whether Lexa could potentially return. “When I’ve watched characters that I love and adore on TV shows and they’re sent off without a really defining moment or a clear cut reason, I get annoyed, because I’m like, ‘Well, that’s lazy, like, maybe they’ll go, maybe they’ll come back,’” the actress said. “I’m not a fan of that type of storytelling usually. I like that it was a very passionate and then heartbreaking moment.”

“I think it was so emotionally overwhelming,” Debnam-Carey continued. “The reaction that sparked within people, where I’m reading texts and tweets from people saying, ‘I’m crying and in tears,’ to be able to say you’re a part of that is an amazing thing. I hate thinking people thought it was insensitive, because it was such a beautiful episode for us to shoot as well.”

While some fans may feel deprived of exploring the Lexa and Clarke relationship further, Debnam-Carey notes she had “personal obligations in my work life as well,” referencing the fact that she’s a series regular on Fear the Walking Dead. “For me, it was trusting the writers and knowing that we would make the most out of what we had,” she said. “I think while the show has relationships in it, and it’s a show about people coming together, it is not a romantic-based show. So in any way or form that manifests on its own, it’s not the soul focus.”

I don't really agree with some of it, but at least she recognizes that it's a huge issue in the media. I do agree, however, that both the death and the love scene were incredibly beautiful. Just wish they didn't immediately follow each other.

Also, I'm not really surprised she's taking this approach; sounds like she's not trying to blacklist herself from the industry by saying something controversial.

TheOddOne

Looks like that will be doing the rounds. THR just put this up too.

- THR: 'The 100': Alycia Debnam-Carey Reflects on "Passionate Response" to Season 3's Lexa Twist.
During a conversation with The Hollywood Reporter at the PaleyFest panel for Fear the Walking Dead, Debnam-Carey addressed the reaction from The 100 fans and clarified her interpretation of Lexa's death.

"I think it’s incredible to see such a passionate response," she said. "I think it’s important for me to note that that decision was never made from a negative point of view; it was never an attempt to bait or to enflame a social issue. It was a creative choice and it didn’t come at the expense of thinking about a social issue — maybe it should have more. But I definitely want fans to think that the love for Lexa on the show and a collaboration that we’ve all made on that show has only come from a good place."

"It’s a really important thing to note that it wasn’t in any way an attempt to aggravate a social situation," she added.
"I must say, I always — from experience when I watch TV shows and I see characters leave without a proper explanation or leave with not enough time, I get irritated," she said. "I like it when there’s a clean-cut reason or a defining moment where they have to go. Whether that’s death or not, I think that’s subjective."

However, she added, "I like Lexa going out with a bang in a way."
For her part, Debnam-Carey is tight-lipped about a return appearance to The 100: "I'll let you find out," is all she offers. But perhaps there's reason to hope fans of the show and Commander Lexa may meet again.

Ayyyyy lmao

fuck fhudshgfidsjgsfdjgbfdehgifrehg

Also, Lindsey Morgan is the hero we never deserved

“I, Lindsey, didn’t like that they were playing into the cliché that that is. The show had already broken so many clichés that are on TV right now, why would you fall into one? […] As far as the decision to kill [Lexa], I don’t agree with. The way it happened, I don’t agree with. Me personally – I tried to say this on twitter in so many words -, I am pissed about it. My heart breaks for the girls that finally had some kind of representative figure head in a powerful position, as basically the president of the 13 clans, and queer. And all the girls out there who identify with that sexuality to see that it doesn’t matter who you like, you can be in a position of power, you can be awesome. The fact that there is no representation for that community out there in those positions breaks my heart. The fact that she was there and now is no longer, it’s just not fair. It’s not right.”

Please don't kill her off for this

fuck fhudshgfidsjgsfdjgbfdehgifrehg

Also, Lindsey Morgan is the hero we never deserved

Please don't kill her off for this
RIP Raven.

giphy.gif

Kidding...I think.

The articles deleted. Apparently Lindsey Morgan didn't want what she said published. Hope this doesn't backfire for her, Raven is one of the better characters on the show.

TheOddOne

- IGN: The 100: Alycia Debnam-Carey On Fan Reaction To Lexa's Fate.
The actress added, "I just really hope that people know that it was never a negative thing from anywhere - from the writers or on set or from me. That this character was always a collaboration. Always done with love. You know, I had personal obligations in my own life [to Fear the Walking Dead] and it just was that way. It was a creative choice and it was nothing really more than that. I know obviously that it’s hard when there are social issues going on and maybe they were dealt with in an insensitive way for some people. And I hate that people feel like that. That’s really awful if people feel ostracized or targeted but any attention that can be drawn to it is a great thing and moving forward is always great."

As for her own reaction when she heard how Lexa’s story would go in Season 3, Debnam-Carey said, “I was just like, ‘Oh, I’ve got to do this really well! I’ve got to make sure I work really hard and do the character justice.’ Which is hard because that show, we run so quickly and we work really fast, so you’re never quite able to perfect anything, I think. But which also makes it so alive, because it’s constantly moving and developing as you’re filming.”
Debnam-Carey
was seen on the set of the Season 3 finale
of The 100, but when I asked her what she could say about that appearance, she laughed and coyly replied, “What was the question? Can I talk about it? No.”

She is an idiot. She is talking about stuff she doesn't know anything about. It is not unfair that Lexa is dead, it is practical like Alycia said. It drops my respect for her and Whittle, they are giving Katherine Heigl vibes.

I'm too drunk to start another argument man. Leave a message after the beep

about to watch the latest episode but im confused. ill put in spoilers just in case.

do we have all the details about what happened 97 years ago? apparently the big station consisted of 13 little ones, but the 13th one is detached and for some reason theres a girl making an AI. why is she making the AI? whats the AI's purpose? did the AI cause the start of the nuclear war? and now the lady landed on earth doing what (apparently she is 'god' based on wall paintings) by only appearing to certain people. how do they see her? im guessing whatever is in the chip AI allows you to be immune to the radiation??? why did lexa have a chip in her?

Joni

about to watch the latest episode but im confused. ill put in spoilers just in case.

do we have all the details about what happened 97 years ago? apparently the big station consisted of 13 little ones, but the 13th one is detached and for some reason theres a girl making an AI. why is she making the AI? whats the AI's purpose? did the AI cause the start of the nuclear war? and now the lady landed on earth doing what (apparently she is 'god' based on wall paintings) by only appearing to certain people. how do they see her? im guessing whatever is in the chip AI allows you to be immune to the radiation??? why did lexa have a chip in her?

The civilization advanced, it created livable space stations. It had 13 occupied stations at the moment Earth was destroyed. It seems twelve of those were owned by nations, at least one by China, Russia and the US each. Polaris looks like a private station.
At one point after the destruction of Earth, they decided they needed to form an alliance. A plan was worked out to link up the space stations. Polaris refused, so the others refused as well. The USA shot down Polaris, the others fell in line.
Becca was making ALIE to improve the world, she wants an AI that can run the world for the best of all humans. She made a tiny little error in V1. She seems to have improved the morality on V2 by implanting it in her neck. It is Becca who lands on Earth, with the V2 implanted.
At one point, she becomes the commander for the people on Earth. She starts injecting them with the black blood to make them better suited for the chip. Once she dies, a new commander was elected and the chip was moved. Repeat this until you end up at Lexa.
It is unclear if the V2 behaves like the V1, so we don't know if they see a digital ALIE or not. There is at least a City of Light where all previous commanders are.

The civilization advanced, it created livable space stations. It had 13 occupied stations at the moment Earth was destroyed. It seems twelve of those were owned by nations, at least one by China, Russia and the US each. Polaris looks like a private station.
At one point after the destruction of Earth, they decided they needed to form an alliance. A plan was worked out to link up the space stations. Polaris refused, so the others refused as well. The USA shot down Polaris, the others fell in line.
Becca was making ALIE to improve the world, she wants an AI that can run the world for the best of all humans. She made a tiny little error in V1. She seems to have improved the morality on V2 by implanting it in her neck. It is Becca who lands on Earth, with the V2 implanted.
At one point, she becomes the commander for the people on Earth. She starts injecting them with the black blood to make them better suited for the chip. Once she dies, a new commander was elected and the chip was moved. Repeat this until you end up at Lexa.
It is unclear if the V2 behaves like the V1, so we don't know if they see a digital ALIE or not. There is at least a City of Light where all previous commanders are.

Cool, thanks.I guess I'm just trying to figure out why the AI launched the nukes to start everything (if thats what happened, it appears to be).

Cool, thanks.I guess I'm just trying to figure out why the AI launched the nukes to start everything (if thats what happened, it appears to be).

Becca told her something like "The reason Earth is full of pollution and can't sustain life is because there are too many people."

Alie took that as "I must obliterate everyone" and launched the bombs

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
She is an idiot. She is talking about stuff she doesn't know anything about. It is not unfair that Lexa is dead, it is practical like Alycia said. It drops my respect for her and Whittle, they are giving Katherine Heigl vibes.
What did seh say ? The article got updated and they removed her comment i think.

Joni

What did seh say ? The article got updated and they removed her comment i think.
She basically complained that Alycia should not have been killed and that she should have stayed on the show like it was Jasons decision not to keep her full time. Considering the manner in which the article is rewritten, she has done some heavy damage control. Seems like she doesn't have a pilot lined up.

- TVInsider: The 100's Executive Producer Breaks His Silence About Lexa's Death (some spoilerish discussion within the lengthy Q&A)

Hoo boy. Where do I even start?

This interview...this is such bullshit. Honestly. Like...whew.

I mean, we were a little surprised by it—obviously not that people were upset; you’re right in the sense that we kind of knew that that would happen. The story that we’re telling is a tragedy. Lexa was a meaningful character to our fans, especially LGBTQ fans, and so I knew it would be emotional, of course. What was unexpected was the level of outrage that it’s generated from some people, but I do think I have come to understand that.

Jesus Christ, are you serious? You had absolutely no idea that people would be outraged over the death of someone that you already know to be meaningful and impactful? That's a fucking lie; you've been retweeting articles and discussing with fans since last season how proud you were to be such an influence in the LGBT community, and to have her mean so much to people. Of course you knew people would be upset; that's what you were looking for. The shock value. The press. But what you didn't expect was for people to call you out on your bullshit.

Yeah. Lexa's death triggered real emotional trauma for some people, you know? It tapped into the real world, it tapped into their lives, and as a straight white male, I obviously didn’t anticipate how deeply it would affect certain people. I look at it now and I realize that if somebody had that kind of a reaction and then were to look back at the way I behaved on Twitter leading up to it, which was celebrating this relationship that then crushed them, I can understand why they would find that reprehensible. I hope that people understand that.

What...what the fuck? So are you admitting to queerbaiting or are you just pussyfooting around? We deserve a straight answer. I've got a feeling that you knew exactly what you were doing. I mean, you had to have known she was going to be a series regular on FTWD back in season 2? Why hype the relationship up so much when you knew you were gonna have to kill her eventually? Oh, right. Cause ratings.

We would never want to hurt our fans. We love them, we owe them everything, we owe them the fact that we just got a Season 4 to them. We want to take them for a ride, we don’t want to hurt them.

You honestly thought that killing off one of the fan favorite characters on the show, knowing full well her influence in an underrepresented community, wouldn't do this much harm? Wow.

In hindsight, knowing what I know now and sort of realizing the things that I’ve realized, we should have done less of that. We should have done less buildup knowing where this was going to end up and knowing how this was going to affect people.

More bullshit, more of him telling us what we want to hear.

No, absolutely not. We would have told the same story. I stand behind the story; I just don’t think I would have gone out of my way to say ‘This is the best episode we’ve ever done!’ Nobody really anticipated that this would happen so now that we’ve seen it, the idea for me as the showrunner going forward is to learn lessons from it, you know?

I get that she had to go. I get it. It sucks, but I understand. This doesn't answer the question, though...WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO IT AFTER SHE FINALLY GETS LAID? WHY PLAY WITH OUR FUCKING EMOTIONS?

This is a show where characters die. That's another reason we were so surprised..it’s a post-apocalyptic world set 100 years later in which anyone can die.

Just because everyone dies, and it's a harsh world...that doesn't excuse you from using the shittiest trope in the universe.

You know, I feel like going to those conventions is an honor for sure, and I’m always nervous about it. But I’m looking forward to getting in front of the fans and talking to them and having a real dialogue about this, if that’s something that the fans want. It’s an honor and a privilege, it’s really the greatest privilege of my life—other than being the father of my kids and the husband of my wife—to be the creator of this show and I really love the opportunity to get to talk about it as much as possible.

Well then, I hope you're ready for fans to tear you a new asshole.

Episode 3.09 is amazing. It’s another dark episode. We know that certain characters are in jail, we come back to Polis and we pick up in the aftermath of Lexa’s death and we begin to understand what the conclave is all about. Let’s just say things unfold from there and we begin to see Clarke doing what Clarke does, which is compartmentalizing and finding a way to suck down her pain and be our hero and try and save her people yet again. With the loss of Lexa, she has to worry about whether or not the new commander will continue to be an ally. So we’ll see her doing what people do in life when terrible things happen, when tragedy strikes. She’s going to suck it up and try to move on and do what she has to do to save her people.

So...Clarke's not gonna be allowed to grieve? Fuck you.

Other things to note:

• No apology
  • No true admittance of queerbaiting
  • Basically gave a textbook interview; nothing about what he said was enlightening or helpful
  • "I'll learn from this." That's nice and all, but...what about us? What about the fans that made your show successful? What kind of solace do we get?
  • Jesus Christ just take responsibility for your actions

kirblar

Hes echoing a lot of what i was saying: playing into the shippers was a disastrous move

Youre never foing to get the response you want: re queerbaiting - the term legit seems to be wrong for this imstance given its normal usage (character relationships w homoerotic overtones the wroters never intend to consumnate.) It was a horrible bait and switch given social media and he does address that. Will have more thoughts when im off mobile and have a nap.

Interestingly, Tim on Justified is kind of a queerbait? They actually intended for him to be gay at one point but dropped it cause they realized they didnt have time to fully treat it with respect.

So the person that interviewed Jason has been tweeting some, uh, interesting things.

tumblr_inline_o4emz1EZqp1rulyku_500.png

tumblr_inline_o4emytphFV1rulyku_500.png

Edit: To clarify, people were initially pissed that Jason decided to eventually speak up to this one journalist who had previously blocked people who complained about them killing Lexa, and was generally pro Jason.
His reaction to people tweeting him has been very professional.

Somnia

She basically complained that Alycia should not have been killed and that she should have stayed on the show like it was Jasons decision not to keep her full time. Considering the manner in which the article is rewritten, she has done some heavy damage control. Seems like she doesn't have a pilot lined up.

The issue is she was speaking off the record to this reporter and they chose to run it anyways, hence it being pulled by the editor. She hasn't done any damage control and basically admits to what she said on twitter.

In fact she just posted more stuff today speaking her mind regarding the trope and how this, a few other shows have continued this trope this month. She is proud to stand with the LGBTQ community and trying to make a change.

Top Bottom