• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

Joni

The issue is she was speaking off the record to this reporter and they chose to run it anyways, hence it being pulled by the editor. She hasn't done any damage control and basically admits to what she said on twitter.

In fact she just posted more stuff today speaking her mind regarding the trope and how this, a few other shows have continued this trope this month. She is proud to stand with the LGBTQ community and trying to make a change.

There are of course no problems in supporting the LGBTQ community like she is doing now, but the comments at the convention were quite a lot more tinted against someone instead of for the community.

mu cephei

I'm a few episodes into season 2, and god I love this show. It's amazing. I don't want to get through the remaining eps too quickly, but it's impossible to resist.

Also, I have to read spoilers or it's too stressful.

kirblar

A big problem S3 has (in addition to the pacing issues and bait/switch issues) is that it's no longer Sophie's Choice: The Series. They're no longer forcing the characters to make decisions - things are now happening to them where they're caught up in the plot.

A big problem S3 has (in addition to the pacing issues and bait/switch issues) is that it's no longer Sophie's Choice: The Series. They're no longer forcing the characters to make decisions - things are now happening to them where they're caught up in the plot.

I think this is coming, especially with Clarke and Bellamy

Still haven't seen 3x08 though, oops

Somnia

Synopsis on upcoming episodes 3.09 and 3.10, obviously spoilers so if you want to discuss anything from these please spoiler tag :)

3.09 - Air Date 3/31/16
"Stealing Fire"
KANE AND ABBY SHARE A MOMENT — Clarke (Eliza Taylor) discovers a shocking truth, and Octavia (Marie Avgeropoulos) is forced to make a decision that could have devastating consequences. Meanwhile, Kane (Henry Ian Cusick) and Abby (Paige Turco) share a moment. Bob Morley, Christopher Larkin, Ricky Whittle and Richard Harmon also star. Uta Briesewitz directed the episode written by Heidi Cole McAdams (#309). Original airdate 3/31/2016.

Obviously the following has spoilers for the above as its the further out episode, so be warned.

3.10 - Air Date 4/7/16
"Fallen"
THE TRUTH HURTS — Jaha (Isaiah Washington) employs a terrifying new method to convince Abby (Paige Turco) to join his cause, Kane (Henry Ian Cusick) is on a mission, and Bellamy (Bob Morley) is hit with a hard truth. Meanwhile, Monty (Christopher Larkin) finds himself in a precarious situation, and Jasper (Devon Bostick) rushes to save one of his own. Eliza Taylor, Marie Avgeropoulos, Lindsey Morgan and Richard Harmon also star. Matt Barber directed the episode written by Charmaine DeGrate & Javier Grillo-Marxuach (#310). Original airdate 4/7/2016.

TheOddOne

- Jason Rothenberg: The Life and Death of Lexa.
The thinking behind having the ultimate tragedy follow the ultimate joy was to heighten the drama and underscore the universal fragility of life. But the end result became something else entirely — the perpetuation of the disturbing “Bury Your Gays” trope. Our aggressive promotion of the episode, and of this relationship, only fueled a feeling of betrayal.

While I now understand why this criticism came our way, it leaves me heartbroken. I promise you burying, baiting or hurting anyone was never our intention. It’s not who I am.

In the show-world, no one is safe, and anyone, even a beloved character, can die, at any time. My favorite shows in this genre embrace a similar sense of heightened urgency. There are several reasons why this particular episode played out the way it did: practical (an actress was leaving the show), creative (it’s a story about reincarnation) and thematic (it’s a show about survival). Despite my reasons, I still write and produce television for the real world where negative and hurtful tropes exist. And I am very sorry for not recognizing this as fully as I should have. Knowing everything I know now, Lexa’s death would have played out differently.
But I’ve been powerfully reminded that the audience takes that ride in the real world — where LGBTQ teens face repeated discrimination, often suffer from depression and commit suicide at a rate far higher than their straight peers. Where people still face discrimination because of the color of their skin. Where, in too many places, women are not given the same opportunities as men, especially LGBTQ women who face even tougher odds. And where television characters are still not fully representative of the diverse lives of our audience. Not even close.
For those of you wondering about the series’ path ahead, The 100 is a show where people don’t get over things quickly. This goes for physical injuries as well as emotional ones. Clarke is experiencing the profound loss of someone she loved, and she’ll carry that loss with her forever. My sincerest hope is that any of our fans who saw a part of themselves in the relationship between Clarke and Lexa can take some small comfort in knowing that their love was beautiful and real.

Hmph

tumblr_inline_o4katuQb6E1r7yr4r_540.png

2 days later

tumblr_inline_o4kavln0Og1r7yr4r_540.png

Somnia

BTW just to throw this out there, be prepared for The 100 ratings next week to be at a potential series low. Not because of what happened, but because The CW ALWAYS takes breaks in March and EVERY show returns with ratings down, it never fails and they continue to do it year in and year out.

Just this week The Flash, Arrow, iZombie, Supernatural and Crazy Ex Girlfriend all had series low ratings.

So, yes, it's difficult to mandate that a show keep all of its gay characters safe, especially if that show operates in a world where death is omnipresent. But since the history of lesbian and otherwise queer women on television is riddled with death, the act of killing a gay female character extends beyond the context of any single show. When you do it, you'd better be sure you're not playing into the trope that has already killed so many others — or maybe, just maybe, find a way to say goodbye to a queer woman other than condemning her to die.

OqiFVt9.gif

I've been working on a thread about this whole debacle. Not specifically The 100, but just the trope in general. I hope to have it up sometime this weekend, but I wanted to take some time on it and get it right.

jrcbandit

It is the look of someone that has another show and no longer works for Jason. It is like badmouthing your old boss in a job interview.

So was his new show picked up for a full season? But with these comments, it's seems almost certain that Lincoln must have been killed off.

So was his new show picked up for a full season? But with these comments, it's seems almost certain that Lincoln must have been killed off.
Yeah,
it was rumored by a lot at first but with Ricky's continued berating comments about Jason, it's pretty clear Lincoln's gonna be gone soon enough.

tumblr_inline_o4mkv9xMAj1qcymq4_500.png

Some people think that the CW might have literally planted some people to ask positive questions. Yikes if that is true. Although some also think whoever asked the question might not have known what she was doing.

Corpekata

Banned
Probably just some nerdy or socially awkward person that was reciting what they were going to say in their head over and over and got stuck in the habit by the time they got to a different panel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Yeah, American Gods has been picked up to series and will most likely be on the air for a couple more seasons after that. I guess because he has a high profile and (probably) long lasting new gig, he feels comfortably with being catty on social media.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wondercon Panel starts any minute now. This should be very interesting. And by no small coincidence "CW WE DEMAND RESPECT" is trending on Twitter.

Somnia

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 2m2 minutes ago
Eliza. Taylor. Need I say more? Have tissues ready for 309. Maybe an adult beverage. Some friends & pets. Etc. Intense, emotional. #The100

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 7m7 minutes ago
Spoiler free reaction to 309 footage: VERY emotional. Raw. #The100

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 9m9 minutes ago
They're showing first 13 minutes of 309. Clarke. I'm might be crying. #The100

:(

Somnia

Jason is discussing the Lexa death and more on stage now.

Apparently they are moderating all questions that will be asked and are not allowing any Lexa questions though.

Somnia

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 3m3 minutes ago
Jason addresses death & sex scene back to back in 307. "I wish I had figured out a way to separate them somehow." #The100 #WonderCon

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 2m2 minutes ago
.@JRothenbergTV: "I was mind blown... I was defensive at first. Eventually, I could take myself out of it, and listen, and learn." #The100

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 58s59 seconds ago
"Going forward, we need to be more aware of the power of our stories." - Jason R. #The100 #WonderCon

I won't post a ton, just a few quotes I promise :p

Somnia

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 1m1 minute ago
.@MisElizaJane: "Clarke has been good at pushing forward in the worst situations, but this one's different.... It changes her." #the100

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 50s51 seconds ago
"This is her love. It's going to be really tricky for her. It changes her for good." @MisElizaJane re: Lexa. #The100 #WonderCon

Nikki Goldwaser ‏@NikkiKnacks 38s39 seconds ago
Bob explains it's going to take some work for Bellamy to prove his worth again. "He CAN be redeemed."

Ugh @ the last one

Somnia

Nikki Goldwaser ‏@NikkiKnacks 2m2 minutes ago
Lindsey explains you're going to see the hold the chip had on people. "It's going to put her mentality to the test."

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 10s10 seconds ago
.@clarkinlarkin asks for a show of hands re: who hates Monty's mom. Lots of hands go up! #the100 #wondercon

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 1m1 minute ago
.@devbostick: "Jasper's been suffering from major PTSD since Maya melted in his arms... pretty traumatic!" #the100 #WonderCon

Layne ‏@laynemorgan 22s23 seconds ago
"Having someone melt in your arms is pretty traumatic." @devbostick dropping wisdom #the100

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 5s6 seconds ago
.@clarkinlarkin explains that Hannah lost her husband. If she loses Monty, she'll be all alone. "It's not so black and white." #the100

Somnia

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 44s45 seconds ago
Murphy! - @RichardSHarmon said if this was S1 panel, Murphy would have been booed, not applauded. Ha! #The100 #WonderCon

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 29s30 seconds ago
.@JRothenbergTV: "I write too many one-liners for Murphy, I have to trim 'em out of scripts." @RichardSHarmon: "I like saying them!" #the100

Nikki Goldwaser ‏@NikkiKnacks 1m1 minute ago
Jason points out that this season, Murphy is the only one who knows everything. "He's the accidental hero."

Good points on Murphy... also that I hated him in season 1, but like him now.

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 49s49 seconds ago
.@MisElizaJane: "MY mind was blown when I read what was going on in Arkadia and with Jaha. Clarke's mind will be [boom]." #the100 #wondercon

Somnia

Jo Garfein ‏@jopinionated 15s16 seconds ago
Bob talking about what Bellamy didn't/doesn't know, re: any conversations btw Clarke & Lexa. #The100 #WonderCon

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 8s9 seconds ago
.@WildpipM: "Bellamy wasn't privy to conversations between Lexa & Clarke.... I understand why he went with Pike." #the100

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 35s35 seconds ago
.@linzzmorgan: "Most of Raven's obstacles & monsters are inside her.... It's tested her in so many ways." #the100

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 23s23 seconds ago
.@linzzmorgan: "She's building herself to be so much stronger." #the100

The 100 Writers Room ‏@The100writers 10s11 seconds ago
.@JRothenbergTV: "I don't think Alie and Jaha anticipated Raven's tenacity." #the100

I'd still rather they pair Bellamy and Raven at this point.

Top Bottom