• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

Amikami

Banned
I don't get the chance to participate in this thread often but can I just say, Murphy's been treated like shit all season and deserves better. I hated the guy back in Season 1 but he has grown on me since then. He's probably my favorite.

Joni

I don't get the chance to participate in this thread often but can I just say, Murphy's been treated like shit all season and deserves better. I hated the guy back in Season 1 but he has grown on me since then. He's probably my favorite.

He hasn't been especially shit on this season. He seems to have some wins this year. He has seen one of his friends, he got to have sex with two nice girls, ... And I mean messing up with Murphy is a running gag.

Beefy

Yeah Murphy was a dick in the first season. Then the next two seasons gets beat over and over again. Yet Bellamy does even worse shit but gets forgiven over and over again.

Joni

Yeah Murphy was a dick in the first season. Then the next two seasons gets beat over and over again. Yet Bellamy does even worse shit but gets forgiven over and over again.

The guy almost got executed because everyone wanted to blame him for killing Wells. He was already beat up for nothing in that season.

Amikami

Banned
He hasn't been especially shit on this season. He seems to have some wins this year. He has seen one of his friends, he got to have sex with two nice girls, ... And I mean messing up with Murphy is a running gag.

Being trapped in a lighthouse for months in-between seasons. Continued to be dragged by Jaha for a bit before just barely escaping the city of light shit, getting captured and tortured by the flamekeeper, getting left behind by Clark with not so much as a warning after not leaving her when he wanted to several times, being forced to be the new flamekeeper to a woman whom just murdered a bunch a children, and being pretty much raped by said woman (No one can convince me that scene wasn't rapey). just sayin', Murphy deserves better.

Somnia

Being trapped in a lighthouse for months in-between seasons. Continued to be dragged by Jaha for a bit before just barely escaping the city of light shit, getting captured and tortured by the flamekeeper, getting left behind by Clark with not so much as a warning after not leaving her when he wanted to several times, being forced to be the new flamekeeper to a woman whom just murdered a bunch a children, and being pretty much raped by said woman (No one can convince me that scene wasn't rapey). just sayin', Murphy deserves better.

Regarding the last part, sure it might have been rapey, but you could tell Murphy didn't really care (not that he had a choice, but the entire line of "what I do to survive" was meant as a laugh cause he didn't mind banging her).

Amikami

Banned
Regarding the last part, sure it might have been rapey, but you could tell Murphy didn't really care (not that he had a choice, but the entire line of "what I do to survive" was meant as a laugh cause he didn't mind banging her).

It might have been meant to lighten the mood but I wouldn't say he didn't care. She chained him up and forced herself on him. He made it a point to say that he already had someone in his life and Ontari threatens him with murder if he didn't comply. Even you say he didn't have a choice and he pretty much knows that too. That alone makes it rapey, or maybe I should just say rape. It was definitely coerced. I really wouldn't say that Murphy wouldn't care about that. Speaking as a woman, I think if the roles were reversed, there'd be so much more heat on the writers. I was about to ship the two tbh because the interactions between them were pretty funny but that scene wasn't as funny to me as the writers wanted. It was just weird.

Joni

While it is rape due to the power position and threats, it really did look like he wanted to get on there. I assume by now that his abuse has turned him into a submissive.

Amikami

Banned
Lol. Okay. Rape is rape. He said no. She threatens him, he complies. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he was a submissive. I really wouldn't. Doesn't make a difference and isn't my point. I just didn't appreciate the scene. I'm okay with Rape on tv but it always depends on a lot of things. If it's trivialized, it's not something I am okay with and this was very trivialized. Just because Murphy's a guy. I know being shitted on is his running gag, but it didn't have to progress that far. I was laughing up til then and was even rooting on Murphy and Ontari to get some.

Joni

Lol. Okay. Rape is rape. He said no. She threatens him, he complies. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he was a submissive. I really wouldn't. Doesn't make a difference and isn't my point. I just didn't appreciate the scene. I'm okay with Rape on tv but it always depends on a lot of things. If it's trivialized, it's not something I am okay with and this was very trivialized. Just because Murphy's a guy. I know being shitted on is his running gag, but it didn't have to progress that far. I was laughing up til then and was even rooting on Murphy and Ontari to get some.

Portraying it as part of him enjoying it, does make it a stronger amibigious scene. Because that is very much the reality where rape is dismissed as not being rape because 'she enjoyed it'. Going for that could work depending on their follow-up to it. At the same time, it might be a Game of Thrones like situation where they simply failed to communicate how the scene should have gone.

Amikami

Banned
Portraying it as part of him enjoying it, does make it a stronger amibigious scene. Because that is very much the reality where rape is dismissed as not being rape because 'she enjoyed it'. Going for that could work depending on their follow-up to it. At the same time, it might be a Game of Thrones like situation where they simply failed to communicate how the scene should have gone.

Wrongfully or rightfully dismissed? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say exactly. Perhaps it could be ambiguous and a follow-up could be done to make it clearer. For now, I feel justified in feeling the way I do, but I'll agree with you that the follow up could make a huge difference. As of now, I'm still highly not a fan and surprised there's not more of a response from viewers. I'm not trying to be 'outraged' either. I'm not. Just didn't feel it.

Joni

Wrongfully or rightfully dismissed? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say exactly. Perhaps it could be ambiguous and a follow-up could be done to make it clearer. For now, I feel justified in feeling the way I do, but I'll agree with you that the follow up could make a huge difference. As of now, I'm still highly not a fan and surprised there's not more of a response from viewers. I'm not trying to be 'outraged' either. I'm not. Just didn't feel it.

Wrongfully dismissed. But it all depends on the follow-up. If they keep playing it for laughs, the scene might have been darker than they had expected.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It looks like nobody jiffed the best scene from the latest episode, so I made myself useful. Enjoy.

0dyQ8wZ.gif
mUZdPil.gif

The only thing that bothered me about the latest episode (which, dare I say, could be the best of the season thanks to Lindsey Morgan's terrific acting) is that Monty couldn't stop his mom despite shooting her in the shoulder, which would have incapacitated her arm right there and then. TV gotta TV, I guess.

Smoolio

The only thing that bothered me about the latest episode (which, dare I say, could be the best of the season thanks to Lindsey Morgan's terrific acting) is that Monty couldn't stop his mom despite shooting her in the shoulder, which would have incapacitated her arm right there and then. TV gotta TV, I guess.

Think its due to AI powers, there was that tanky man servant that Emori and Murphy had to kill earlier that was also a pain to stop.

But yeah great episode, cept for the all the man pain Clarke had to apologise for and the instant Bellamy forgiveness.

Loved the two Lexa reactions from Clarke, especially the second, hopefully points to more grieving from her on this.

freoleo29

Just got caught up on the past 3 episodes, it was good to watch them together as the 2 week break they had kind of killed my momentum for the show but after watching those episodes all i'm wanting is more.

Holy shit at Monty killing his mum, hope it doesn't turn monty into a jaspar but how the fk do you comeback from that.

Good riddance to Pyke, I hope he suffers and I can see why Ricky Whittle was pissed off with his exit, that was just plain bullshit, i don't know much about the behind the scenes situation since i like to stay away from spoilers but i will have to read up on it after the season.

They really love Aussie actors on this show specifically from the two nightly soap operas in Neighbours and Home and Away. I was surprised to see Rhiannon Fish when i recognised her face after it was cleaned up in the bathtub scene. she didn't play Ontari earlier in the series right?

Bellamy sucks now and i'm kind of tired of Clarke too, i do wonder what will happen to Kane, hopefully the Goat Murphy can talk Ontari out of killing him

Somnia

Ricky's issue wasn't with how he died. His issue was storylines for his character were getting cut and he was being used less and less.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ricky's issue wasn't with how he died. His issue was storylines for his character were getting cut and he was being used less and less.
He was basically in prison for the season and then was taken out and shot. As a main character he was pretty quickly sidelined and then removed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Think its due to AI powers, there was that tanky man servant that Emori and Murphy had to kill earlier that was also a pain to stop.

But yeah great episode, cept for the all the main pain Clarke had to apologise for and the instant Bellamy forgiveness.

Loved the two Lexa reactions from Clarke, especially the second, hopefully points to more grieving from her on this.
It's a bullet wound. It literally tears muscle and bone. Even with proper medical care, her arm would be useless for weeks and barely usable after that. It's less about pain and more about tissue damage.

Not that TV ever depicted bullet wounds in realistic fashion.

Its too bad Jasper didn't use the time he had with Alie/Raven to talk about how the AI thinks and what motivates it. I'm hoping maybe at some point Monty has that conversation.

So I'm way LTTP on this show; wrote it off as YA trash-tier sci-fi, but after hearing people on GAF keep mentioning I decided to check it out (although someone on GAF also spoiled Lexa's death in a random thread..thanks GAF). So after catching up, I have to say...wow. This show is not what I expected at all. While it has had some corny teen angst moments and some borrowing of ideas (and actors!) from shows like BSG (AI woman in red dress), it has also not pulled punches in any way, and the strong female characters are a nice surprise.

The first two seasons I felt were written the best, a sci-fi Lord of the Flies with commentary on government control and our history with native americans. But this season has started to feel like the writers don't exactly know what to do with the characters. I don't totally buy the AI mind control plot; I guess the writers are trying to say that pain is the driving force of our humanity, but people seem to quickly go from normal to cult robots simply because ALIE turned off their pain receptors. Then again I never really bought Jaha's rapid transformation from rationalist to mystic. Lincoln's death was meaningless; he was the bridge between grounders and Sky People and they wasted his character's development and plotlines as a consequence of the poorly-written Pike takeover narrative. Then again I felt Anya's character was also wasted, as there was a much more realistic bond and on-screen chemstry with Clarke and Anya than with Clarke and Lexa's somewhat forced relationship. In any case, I think the writers are overusing the 'kill a loved one for character motivation' routine. You start killing off everyone too quickly and those deaths stop having impact.

But the two main problems I have with the writing at this point are,
1) the characters, aside from Kane, have not grown. Clarke said to Bellamy last episode, "Maybe there are no good people" which is pretty much what she already said to him in season 2(?) Not only does this continue to paint Clarke with one color, it's also an easy way for the writers to absolve Bellamy of his crimes and once again be part of the team, and prevents Bellamy's character from dealing with his actions.
2) characters too often make decisions that are convenient for the writers but inconsistent with their characters. For instance, Abby has always been tough-as-nails. She had her own husband floated. But suddenly when faced with Raven dying or everyone in Arkadia being lost to the AI, she takes the easy way.

Despite all that, I'm still really enjoying this show. I just hope we can get past the AI silliness soon and get back to the highs of season 2.

In other news Rhiannon Fish is precious

tumblr_inline_o60esyTMKI1u3t8qq_540.png

edit: Monty talks about the finale

"I was shocked," Larkin said of the first time he read episode 16. "I was tipped off to certain things that would happen in the finale before reading it, so I was a little prepped, [but] they were devastating. They were devastating, and not just for my character, just all around."

"I remember I was about to go to diner and I got a couple of phone calls and felt sick to my stomach and couldn't eat dinner," Larkin recounted. "So that's what's coming up. That's the most elusive way I can answer that question."

jCsYUh6.gif

This episode so far:

-Octavia sucking it up because....reasons, I guess?
-Emerson is back because none of this makes sense anymore
-Raven loses her father figure because SHE MUST SUFFER
-Clarke pining after Lexa, meanwhile I'm sitting here eating fries and crying
-Bellamy is useless
-Bellarke had a moment for like .02 seconds, supporters are probably off drooling somewhere
-Murphy is an idiot
-WHY TF WOULD YOU FOLLOW THE MUSIC CLARKE
-Clarke continues to blame herself, Bellamy basically goes "shit u right wanna bang tho"

This episode so far:

-Octavia sucking it up because....reasons, I guess?
-Emerson is back because none of this makes sense anymore
-Raven loses her father figure because SHE MUST SUFFER
-Clarke pining after Lexa, meanwhile I'm sitting here eating fries and crying
-Bellamy is useless
-Bellarke had a moment for like .02 seconds, supporters are probably off drooling somewhere
-Murphy is an idiot
-WHY TF WOULD YOU FOLLOW THE MUSIC CLARKE
-Clarke continues to blame herself, Bellamy basically goes "shit u right wanna bang tho"
So still not worth coming back to

How did Emerson conveniently know where the secret cave was? He's as impressive a forest ninja as Nagan's group in TWD. Or maybe the writers thought this was the Halloween episode.

RIP Gaeda, that was no way to go out. :(

So much for hoping the AI plot would be over. Clarkekru should basically just head up to Canada, or maybe build a boat and chill in the Caribbean. They are royally screwed (and not the Murphy kind).

JackDT

Meh on the episode for me.

Sinclair's death felt like an afterthought.

I don't like the Commander immediately getting the chip. It takes an interesting new character and basically eliminates her -- she's just another Allie now. Also I was looking forward to seeing how the Grounders deal with the chipper insurgency... but it's just over like that?

They're actually killing too many characters on this show! I like the expanded cast; I don't just want to have the show keep reducing everyone else down to the original 100 cast.

Top Bottom