• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

sammex

Good episode except for them really trying to force some sort of sympathy for Pike and Bellamy. Like I get what they're trying but they've already broken the characters beyond repair. The Pike flashbacks early in the season along with a flashback of his people being killed by grounders when they first crashed would have gone a long way to making him a well drawn character but after all the killing it's just like so what? Bellamy being annoyed at Octavia for not forgiving him already was just plain stupid.

The oil platform reveal was pretty cool. At least we now know where they get their fresh gasoline from now :D

So just out of curiosity, where do you guys think they're gonna take season four? I can't really think of anything that stands out to me at the moment. By this time last season, we were still dealing with Jaha looking for the CoL, which kind of foreshadowed and set things up nicely for this season.

But I've got no fucking clue what they're gonna do next.

kirblar

Watching the back half, I think not killing Lexa off way earlier in the season than they did was a major fuck-up.

S1 was basically LOSTxSophie's Choice, S2 was Fallout: the TV Show, and S3 is now this cool dystopian sci-fi horror vibe, but they tried turning the show into Game of Thrones (lots of politics) for part of the first half, and it sucked.

What I really liked about the first half of season three was the explanation of the intricacies of grounder culture. I mean, yeah, we had seen a bit of that in the first two seasons, but it was all "we kill people!!" And to see that there's definitely more to it was cool. I think the reason they included it was to make us more sympathetic towards them when Bellamy went on his shooting spree. But it's backfiring now, when they're trying to redeem him, because viewers are past the point of caring.

I've actually come to really like the concept of Clarke as flame keeper. I'm kind of fascinated with the whole concept of how Becca became the first commander and how it gradually evolved into a religion of sorts. I wish we had seen the Conclave. Even if Ontari still won, it would have been pretty neat, I think, to see.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I felt like the oil platform was anticlimactic considering it was shown in the intro. Since they showed it I've been wondering when they were going to go there but once the grounder said get the boat I knew what was happening.

mu cephei

Oh god is Pike still alive?!

I watched up to s03e04 some time over a week ago, and I just can't bring myself to continue with what I know must happen next. Revenge under the cover of righteousness is so vile. I was hoping to find out he soon died a horrible painful death but no. Dammit.

bitbydeath

Oh god is Pike still alive?!

I watched up to s03e04 some time over a week ago, and I just can't bring myself to continue with what I know must happen next. Revenge under the cover of righteousness is so vile. I was hoping to find out he soon died a horrible painful death but no. Dammit.

Yeah, was surprised he's still alive but it'll only be temporary, Octavia will take care of him if he lasts long enough to see her again.

What I really liked about the first half of season three was the explanation of the intricacies of grounder culture. I mean, yeah, we had seen a bit of that in the first two seasons, but it was all "we kill people!!" And to see that there's definitely more to it was cool. I think the reason they included it was to make us more sympathetic towards them when Bellamy went on his shooting spree. But it's backfiring now, when they're trying to redeem him, because viewers are past the point of caring.

I really don't think they're trying to redeem Bellamy, but what else are you going to do with a character who has authoritarian tendencies and murdered a bunch of people out of fear? He's part of the main cast. So either you keep him in the mix and deal with the fallout of his actions within the group, or banish him. He's not going to go anywhere else since protecting his sister is one of his primary motivations. However, the writers haven't really allowed him to have a proper emotional breakdown on his own.

I think it was probably a mistake of the writers to put all those deaths on the shoulders of Clarke and Bellamy. Sure, it makes for sensationalist drama, but where do you take characters who are barely adults and have chosen to commit mass murder? Clarke seems relatively unfazed by her decision, and that doesn't feel genuine. And Bellamy, well unless the writers allow him to deal with his actions, there's really nowhere for his character to go except more bad decisions, or to die in a sacrificial death. It's a shame because I really liked season 2 Bellamy and his relationship with Clarke.

I'm kind of fascinated with the whole concept of how Becca became the first commander and how it gradually evolved into a religion of sorts.

Was Becca really the first Commander? I guess I missed that. How'd she survive the radiation? That was way before current levels. I wonder what the grounders would think if they knew it was Becca and her stupid AI who destroyed the world.

kirblar

Bellamy needed to be a passive participant- helps Pike gain control, then is horrified by what he unleashes.

Nothing about this made sense.

I really don't think they're trying to redeem Bellamy, but what else are you going to do with a character who has authoritarian tendencies and murdered a bunch of people out of fear? He's part of the main cast. So either you keep him in the mix and deal with the fallout of his actions within the group, or banish him. He's not going to go anywhere else since protecting his sister is one of his primary motivations. However, the writers haven't really allowed him to have a proper emotional breakdown on his own.

I think it was probably a mistake of the writers to put all those deaths on the shoulders of Clarke and Bellamy. Sure, it makes for sensationalist drama, but where do you take characters who are barely adults and have chosen to commit mass murder? Clarke seems relatively unfazed by her decision, and that doesn't feel genuine. And Bellamy, well unless the writers allow him to deal with his actions, there's really nowhere for his character to go except more bad decisions, or to die in a sacrificial death. It's a shame because I really liked season 2 Bellamy and his relationship with Clarke.

Was Becca really the first Commander? I guess I missed that. How'd she survive the radiation? That was way before current levels. I wonder what the grounders would think if they knew it was Becca and her stupid AI who destroyed the world.

I know I shit on Bellamy a lot, but I'm just really frustrated with how he went from an actual hero who did good for his people into a grumpy boy who's Manpain clouds every decision he makes. I have to disagree with you that Clarke is unfazed by her actions; I mean, she spent three months in the woods on her own because she was too ashamed of what she'd done. She had to learn to deal with the guilt. I also think the purpose of her staying in Polis for so long was to give her character time to heal and relax, but in true 100 fashion, nothing good lasts forever. You can see a little bit of her starting to forgive herself for MW in last week's episode, when she talks to Bellamy. It's not super obvious, but it's there. She's definitely still burdened by it, but I think she's learned to live with it in a way.

That's where I think the show struggles; the motivations for their actions are there, but it never goes past the most basic "I'm upset, let me gloom around for a while". The only characters who I feel have had a proper breakdown are Octavia and Jasper. Clarke hasn't, Bellamy hasn't, Monty or Raven haven't. Maybe we'll see it, maybe we won't. But at a certain point you need to give your characters a chance to breathe, and the show hasn't done that.

Becca was indeed the first commander. She altered her blood with a specific gene therapy which did two things. One, it turned her blood black, and two, it allowed her to accept the AI, or, ALIE 2.0. She put it into her neck and fell to earth to protect her creation, landing in the ruins of what is now Polis. A bunch of survivors (stayed in the bunkers maybe?) come up to her as she's wearing a suit that says "commander" on it. I've read from the writers who answered fan questions on tumblr that she then gave her gene therapy stuff to as many people as she could, because it's what allowed her to survive the radiation. I dunno. It seems kind of far fetched. Anyway, at some point the black blood became hereditary, and increasingly rare. Which then developed into the concept of "Nightbloods" and only those with the blood can accept Becca's flame (the AI}. At a certain point it stopped being scientific and started being religious.

I wonder how much of a Jaha is really/still him since he first took the chip, she didn't really start doing full zombie possession/rewrite until the Raven thing.

Since then every gets completely taken over but a part of me suspects Jaha is still actually "him" and the AI hasn't bothered taking him over(besides the memory loss) because he's already a true believer, the guy was fucking nuts during that trip to the City of Light.

I wonder how much of a Jaha is really/still him since he first took the chip, she didn't really start doing full zombie possession/rewrite until the Raven thing.

Since then every gets completely taken over but a part of me suspects Jaha is still actually "him" and the AI hasn't bothered taking him over(besides the memory loss) because he's already a true believer, the guy was fucking nuts during that trip to the City of Light.

Yeah, Jaha didn't really need convincing. He's the crazy prophet who genuinely believes in whatever he's preaching.

God I hope he dies in the finale.

What odds will you give me for Clarke and Bellamy kissing before the end of the season?

It ain't happening, bruh. Their relationship is one based off of the struggles of leadership and a mutual need to survive and accomplish specific goals. It's not based on romance. There's zero sexual tension between them this season. Bellarke would have made sense in season one. It doesn't now.

Honestly I think Clarke's gonna kick the bucket in the finale. I'm not gonna be surprised if she doesn't, but...

Beefy

It ain't happening, bruh. Their relationship is one based off of the struggles of leadership and a mutual need to survive and accomplish specific goals.

Honestly I think Clarke's gonna kick the bucket in the finale. I'm not gonna be surprised if she doesn't, but...

Wouldn't mind if she did. She is starting to bore me a little tbh. Only 3 episodes left and so much stuff needs to happen. I guess the finale will be a hour or something?

I know I shit on Bellamy a lot, but I'm just really frustrated with how he went from an actual hero who did good for his people into a grumpy boy who's Manpain clouds every decision he makes. I have to disagree with you that Clarke is unfazed by her actions; I mean, she spent three months in the woods on her own because she was too ashamed of what she'd done. She had to learn to deal with the guilt. I also think the purpose of her staying in Polis for so long was to give her character time to heal and relax, but in true 100 fashion, nothing good lasts forever. You can see a little bit of her starting to forgive herself for MW in last week's episode, when she talks to Bellamy. It's not super obvious, but it's there. She's definitely still burdened by it, but I think she's learned to live with it in a way.

That's where I think the show struggles; the motivations for their actions are there, but it never goes past the most basic "I'm upset, let me gloom around for a while". The only characters who I feel have had a proper breakdown are Octavia and Jasper. Clarke hasn't, Bellamy hasn't, Monty or Raven haven't. Maybe we'll see it, maybe we won't. But at a certain point you need to give your characters a chance to breathe, and the show hasn't done that.

Becca was indeed the first commander. She altered her blood with a specific gene therapy which did two things. One, it turned her blood black, and two, it allowed her to accept the AI, or, ALIE 2.0. She put it into her neck and fell to earth to protect her creation, landing in the ruins of what is now Polis. A bunch of survivors (stayed in the bunkers maybe?) come up to her as she's wearing a suit that says "commander" on it. I've read from the writers who answered fan questions on tumblr that she then gave her gene therapy stuff to as many people as she could, because it's what allowed her to survive the radiation. I dunno. It seems kind of far fetched. Anyway, at some point the black blood became hereditary, and increasingly rare. Which then developed into the concept of "Nightbloods" and only those with the blood can accept Becca's flame (the AI}. At a certain point it stopped being scientific and started being religious.

I think Bellamy is at his best when Clarke is around to keep him on the right path. She's one of the only people he'll listen to. When she left, he started reverting back to his "protect my fam, screw everyone else" mode, which Pike's influence reinforced. You might be right about Clarke, but also feel like we never get to see the real her often.

Agreed that the show doesn't often give the characters a chance to breathe. They could've done that last episode, but they chose to do a hokey Halloween slasher episode instead.

Thanks, the Becca stuff is weird. I thought she said ALIE 2.0 was her way of trying to save humanity, but I'm not sure what the chip really gave the grounders since it could only be in one person at a time. Seems like the gene therapy did much more for their survival.

EulaCapra

It ain't happening, bruh. Their relationship is one based off of the struggles of leadership and a mutual need to survive and accomplish specific goals. It's not based on romance. There's zero sexual tension between them this season. Bellarke would have made sense in season one. It doesn't now.

I had to look at the book source to see whether Clarke and Bellamy are an item earlier in the season because I was getting all sorts of "CW longing romantic glances" throughout this season before and after Lexa's death. I think they're going to eventually go there.

No one else pointed it out yet but the flashback on the ship said it was just 6 months ago.

6 months!
Yes, the 6 months thing. I thought I read that wrong because I FUCKING CAN'T. Octavia magically learning an entire language, Jasper moping around for several months for a girl that he probably dated for an entire week, Jaha's search for the city of lights felt like an eternity but for all we know could've been a 3 day hike, all those 100 Sky Crew kids who I thought were lucky enough to time jump and survived 2 seasons worth of ordeals......the stakes don't feel quite as high when you can average out that 200 humans die per day in this show judging from these 6 months lol.

xenist

Finally, Radioactive! Just as I was starting to wonder if this was actually a CW show.

They have to be doing this on purpose now. I just want to know if it's earnest or in jest.

Thanks, the Becca stuff is weird. I thought she said ALIE 2.0 was her way of trying to save humanity, but I'm not sure what the chip really gave the grounders since it could only be in one person at a time. Seems like the gene therapy did much more for their survival.

It is. ALIE 2.0 focuses on human needs. The wants and needs of the host are the wants and needs of the AI. It guides the host on the best possible course of action that will accomplish those goals. So, if the host needs food or water, the AI will help it accomplish that. It was supposed to be used to help the Ark, but they were like "it's gonna kill us like your other one nuked the planet" and wanted to destroy it. So Becca escaped to Earth and so, the Grounders got it instead.

It can only be in one person at a time, but that's why it's given to leadership and not, say, some random nobody. Honestly it's probably what allowed the Grounders to survive and flourish into a thriving community. Without the AI's guidance in each Commander, they'd be totally lost.

Of course, no one but he commander and flame keeper know the spirit is an actual physical object, and even they don't know it's actually an AI.

jwk94

No one else pointed it out yet but the flashback on the ship said it was just 6 months ago.

6 months!
All that shit happened in just 6 months. Octavia transformed from the semi dumb, sheltered child to badass with a dead boyfriend in 6 MONTHS! Wait, damn, seasons one through two happened in what? five months? That's a lot of stuff. Hell, season two probably took place over a few days if not a week. Jesus.

Was seaweed from the ocean, apparently the crown for the oil rig queen.

OH thank god. Crisis averted.

OH thank god. Crisis averted.

Bruh that's her natural hair

506095228-actress-nadia-hilker-is-photographed-for-gettyimages.jpg

Joni

Ya CW is notorious for dropping, but I wanted a bit of happy news for now lol
It dropped.

So just out of curiosity, where do you guys think they're gonna take season four?
What is happening in the rest of the United States? New Grounders group turns up or they have to leave the Polis area.

Yes, the 6 months thing. I thought I read that wrong because I FUCKING CAN'T.

We actually knew that. Season 1 starts on September 13th, 2149. It ends on October 11th. Season 2 starts on October 12th, ends on November 3rd. Season 3 starts on January 27th, 2150. So this flashback was set around August 31st. Which means we're just about end February now, which fits the timeline. They're quite good at their timeline for the moment.

What is happening in the rest of the United States? New Grounders group turns up or they have to leave the Polis area.

See, that's what I thought they were gonna turn Jaha's arc into. Him traveling around and seeing new places and being a peacemaker. But nooooooooo, they had to go and do this whole CoL bullshit.

Clarke could've done it, too. Leaves Arkadia, travels the world, bangs random girls at various trading outposts...

Joni

See, that's what I thought they were gonna turn Jaha's arc into. Him traveling around and seeing new places and being a peacemaker. But nooooooooo, they had to go and do this whole CoL bullshit.

Clarke could've done it, too. Leaves Arkadia, travels the world, bangs random girls at various trading outposts...

They'll have to do it, kill everyone chipped, turn away because nobody is left.

Clarke is boring as fuck now. The supporting characters are more interesting.

Also, I'm glad Kane got his shit turned inside out. I never liked that guy.

There's also more character development for Pike which I'm happy about. Hopefully they touch upon his crash landing and survival. After all in most cases this show is better than most others in that it usually doesn't portray characters as one-dimensional.

Finally, Radioactive! Just as I was starting to wonder if this was actually a CW show.

They have to be doing this on purpose now. I just want to know if it's earnest or in jest.

It ties back into the pilot which that scene immediately preceded.

Yeah, Jaha didn't really need convincing. He's the crazy prophet who genuinely believes in whatever he's preaching.

God I hope he dies in the finale.

Clarke's mother does a 180 after taking the chip and has gone so far as to be willing to die but Jaha deserves to die?

Come on now... We've seen how he's forgotten his own son. How much else has been wiped from his mind?

He deserves a chance to escape the chip's thrall as much as anyone.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Return of Radioactive! I loved it, put a grin on my face immediately. I'm usually not a fan of flashback heavy episodes, but this was an exception. Good character moments, and it was nice seeing everyone during innocent times.

The second Clarke started smiling and talking with an upbeat tone to Luna, I knew she was about to get shit on from orbit. Clarke has gotten to be happy for a grand total of 45 seconds across this entire series. If she starts smiling, something bad is about to happen. Guarantee lol.

Jasper is totally going to get with Luna. Calling it now. Probably not this season, but eventually.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Jasper gets Octavia. It is a match in the making since the first season.

If he brought back those 1990s goggles, maybe she would notice him again.

Thinking back, Octavia was sorta the token hot chick back in those early days. She went from weird kid in class to "We back, bitches!" in a day. Lol

Starfield

One of the best episodes this season so far.

Kane's crucification was horrible to watch. No wonder he's my favourite actor on Lost and The 100, he puts everyone in the shadows in terms of acting

Clarke's mother does a 180 after taking the chip and has gone so far as to be willing to die but Jaha deserves to die?

Come on now... We've seen how he's forgotten his own son. How much else has been wiped from his mind?

The difference being that Jaha didn't need anyone to metaphorically (and literally, in Marcus' case) hold a gun to his head to take the chip. He did it of his own free will, and I don't believe he's brainwashed in the same capacity the others are. He knows full well what he's doing, all in the name of the CoL. Abby did it for Raven. Marcus did it for Abby. Jaha did it for himself and bullied everyone else into following his path.

Honestly it's probably what allowed the Grounders to survive and flourish into a thriving community. Without the AI's guidance in each Commander, they'd be totally lost.

Eh...the grounders seem to be about at the tech level of the native American tribes in the 18th century, and they did alright for themselves for thousands of years with no outside help. Lexa couldn't even get the glass door fixed in her penthouse suite. The Sea-kru seem a bit more advanced; they can operate a boat at least, but no one seems to be building anything new that you'd think the AI would help with.

Also, I'm glad Kane got his shit turned inside out. I never liked that guy.

What.. Kane is one of the only characters on the show who's had real character development.

Jaha was already fine with his followers dying in order for him to get to the City of Light; the dude was well on his way to Jim Jones status before he took the chip.

The difference being that Jaha didn't need anyone to metaphorically (and literally, in Marcus' case) hold a gun to his head to take the chip. He did it of his own free will, and I don't believe he's brainwashed in the same capacity the others are. He knows full well what he's doing, all in the name of the CoL. Abby did it for Raven. Marcus did it for Abby. Jaha did it for himself and bullied everyone else into following his path.

A lot of others also took the chip of their own free will. And given that he forgot his son I find it likely that his son's death is the pain that motivated him to do what he did.

And did Jaha even know what would happen when he took that chip?

I find it interesting that some fans in here are willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to some but not others, no matter how many or little they kill.
Also, remember how Jaha was willing to sacrifice himself up on that ark? This isn't some one-dimensional monster we're talking about.

What.. Kane is one of the only characters on the show who's had real character development.

The guy is a naive moron who got himself branded like a piece of cattle and was willing to hand over Pike (who was a democratically elected leader) to a group that would absolutely torture him to death (an alternative option would be to operate within the scope of their own laws and judge him accordingly). The man is firmly entrenched in the grounder mindset, only without the ruthlessness that allows that group to survive.

Basically, he's trying to negotiate a lasting peace with a group that would quite literally cut off their own children's heads to get into power.

sammex

Kane was in the right trying to hand over Pike. If your democratically elected leader commits a war crime by massacring a friendly peace keeping force then the precedent is for them to be held accountable for those crimes by an international tribunal and not your own courts. The closest thing to that would be handing him over to the coalition.

Kane was in the right trying to hand over Pike. If your democratically elected leader commits a war crime by massacring a friendly peace keeping force then the precedent is for them to be held accountable for those crimes by an international tribunal and not your own courts. The closest thing to that would be handing him over to the coalition.

You shouldn't just hand over your own leaders to be executed. A fair trial should be expected but Kane knew that would never happen. In fact there is no such thing as a fair trial in grounder society, at least as they've experienced it.

IMHO Kane is willing to do anything to placate the grounders which is a weak position to operate from and basically amounts to (from the grounder's perspective): Give us what we want or we'll kill you all. And that was true before Pike killed those people, with Arkadia only existing because Lexa demanded it due to Clarke's influence.

When a "good" leader is killed then you're back to being at the personal whims of someone completely new. As such there are no such things as lasting peace or trade agreements.

The list of Germans that tried to execute Hitler was quite long, Gaddafi was murdered by his own people, Hussein was hanged by Iraqi courts. But in all cases, the Americans were necessary to help them succeed.

People get murdered all the time. That doesn't mean we should all go and do it whenever we want.

What fair trial on murdering 300 people ends with anything else than an execution?

What about the grounder's butchering people when The 100 first arrived? They did nothing wrong but they still ended up with blades and spikes in their brains.

But... Arkadia should abide by it's own rules and not give in to the whims of others because otherwise all systems of government break down and you end up with a feudalistic system where leaders are beholden to no one but themselves, which seems to be what the grounder's have.

And IMHO their system and the way they operate is really no better than what what people criticise Pike for. So Kane is willing to exchange one system of law for another more primitive and barbaric one. Only in the latter case he has no say.

So it isn't about whether that person is executed or not. It is about the terms on which it happens.

bitbydeath

What about the grounder's butchering people when The 100 first arrived? They did nothing wrong but they still ended up with blades and spikes in their brains.

But... Arkadia should abide by it's own rules and not give in to the whims of others because otherwise all systems of government break down and you end up with a feudalistic system where leaders are beholden to no one but themselves, which seems to be what the grounder's have.

And IMHO their system and the way they operate is really no better than what what people criticise Pike for. So Kane is willing to exchange one system of law for another more primitive and barbaric one. Only in the latter case he has no say.

So it isn't about whether that person is executed or not. It is about the terms on which it happens.

It is the grounders land though of which SkyCrew were encroaching.

Anko

Didn't they unintentionally set some houses in a nearby village on fire with the flares they fired in an attempt to contact the Ark in some way? At least... that's what I remember. It's been a while.

It wasn't intentional, but that's not something the grounders would know. It was an act of aggression towards them and they reacted in kind.

Joni

What about the grounder's butchering people when The 100 first arrived? A trial wasn't needed for them because they did absolutely nothing wrong but yet they still ended up with blades and spikes in their brains.
The first deaths in the Grounder-SkyCrew conflict occur in Twilight's Last Gleaming, when the flare destroys a grounder village. Three SkyCrew members are killed by Grounders in the next episode, one in a trap and two in a fight. The Acid Fog of the Mountain Men killed a SkyCrew before the grounders ever did.

"I understand. You started a war that you don’t know how to end."

"No reason. The missiles you launched burnt a village to the ground."

"You're invaders. Your ship landed in our territory."

"You knew we were here when you sent an armed raiding party to capture one of us and torture him. These are all acts of war."

Three acts of war. The next episode Jasper bombed the Grounders. Before the final battle, about 5 Skycrew were killed by Grounders versus an entire village and at least 10 other grounders by SkyCrew people. That final fight killed 27 Sky people versus more than 300 Grounders.

But... Arkadia should abide by it's own rules and not give in to the whims of others because otherwise all systems of government break down and you end up with a feudalistic system, which seems to be what the grounder's have.

I hope mass murder is punishable as well within Arkadia. If it is encouraged, than the grounders are right to take them on.

It is the grounders land though of which SkyCrew were encroaching.

Are you talking about the original 100? They absolutely had no idea about anything. And there was no warning, just death.

And if they expect everyone to live by their rules then they should fully understand (blood for blood) why The 100 retaliated.

Honestly, I'm growing really irritated by the development of the grounder's as some conscientious peace loving types. It's the biggest load of hypocritical bullshit I've ever seen.

I mean they cut their own children's heads off for crying out loud! And that's within the scope of their laws and traditions.

Joni

Are you talking about the original 100? They absolutely had no idea about anything. And there was no warning, just death.

And if they expect everyone to live by their rules then they should fully understand (blood for blood) why The 100 retaliated.

When they started by kidnapping a grounder and burning down a village, they should have known. And this all happened before the Grounders killed one person.

When they started by kidnapping a grounder and burning down a village, they should have known. And this all happened before the Grounders killed one person.

You know what? I'm done with this conversation. It seriously is starting to irritate me.

Actually, just as I said the above I remembered that Jasper got a spear through his chest in the first episode. After they bandaged him up and strapped him to a tree as bait so others would come for him, fall into the trap and be impaled on spikes.

Nice people.

Top Bottom