• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

The issue with the sex scene for me was that it seemed odd Clarke would let her guard down, especially with the scene just prior where she's been actively hunted. Her situation didn't really strike me as one where she's willing to spend more time than she needs to in any one location.

Having sex with the shopkeeper seems directly at odds with that and actually seems to the reason why she's caught in the end.

Joni

The issue with the sex scene for me was that it seemed odd Clarke would let her guard down, especially with the scene just prior where she's been actively hunted. Her situation didn't really strike me as one where she's willing to spend more time than she needs to in any one location.

Having sex with the shopkeeper seems directly at odds with that and actually seems to the reason why she's caught in the end.

At the same time, she knows she can't go out immediately, she has to stay there. And from the moment, the shopkeeper gets close to her, she does let go of reason, that is true.

Maybe after finding someone she could trust after three months of being on the run made her let her guard down and feel loved for a moment. Temporary lapse in humanity.

... and it clearly cost her in the end.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Clarke isnt perfect - she has been more or less on her own for a while as they established, is being hunted and was hurt quite a bit just before...its not that unrealistic for her to let her guard down and enjoy life a bit when she has the chance.

The girl looked good, patched her and and lied for her...doesn't sound that Alien to me when you consider she is likely the only person Clarke interacted with for the last months.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Are the fanbeasts freaking out because the sex messed up their shipping?

Thats very likely a part as well - Bellamy x Clarke is probably still happening at the end of the season though.

PS. Looking forward to crazy Jahas Adventures.

She's trying to think like lexa. But she's too good for that. Practicing the manipulation game. You gotta be vers if you want to survive and gain trust where we you go. At one point she's going to have to not think about it and just do it.

Kyoufu

Are the fanbeasts freaking out because the sex messed up their shipping?

I would have just preferred something more meaningful to happen in this episode. I feel like nothing really happened besides Clark being hunted. Everything else felt very pointless. Jasper pointlessly going around annoying everyone.

Why did they even take Jasper with them in the condition he was in? I really don't understand.

sammex

The Mountain Men reaped the destruction that they had sown by enslaving thousands of grounders (and using them as blood cattle or for Reapers) for at least a few generations and for purely selfish reasons, killing people with acid fog attacks for who knows how long, firing a missile upon Tondc, and then forcibly drawing bone marrow from the Arkers in a manner that they knew would eventually kill all of the 48 and the captured (Raven, Abby, Kane, etc.)

If anyone is ultimately responsible for their destruction, it is them, no question. It was tragic, yes, but inevitable given their hostile behavior towards everyone else. Of course, this sometimes gets lost in the rush to blame everything on Clarke, an 18? year old with no prior leadership or military experience who didn't want to watch her mother and her closest friends bleed to death on a table for some odd reason.

You've got a good point but there were innocent children living in Mount Weather and some others like that old couple who resisted using the transfusions unless necessary, so like most stuff on the 100 it's not so clear cut.

Edit: just rewatched the episode - Bellamy pulled the lever with Clarke - I forgot that bit.

Maybe after finding someone she could trust after three months of being on the run made her let her guard down and feel loved for a moment. Temporary lapse in humanity.

... and it clearly cost her in the end.

That's exactly how I saw it. She was lonely and living in exile and here's someone friendly who showed her compassion.

I would have just preferred something more meaningful to happen in this episode. I feel like nothing really happened besides Clark being hunted. Everything else felt very pointless. Jasper pointlessly going around annoying everyone.

Why did they even take Jasper with them in the condition he was in? I really don't understand.
It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it. Is what they are going with. Until he goes slicing throats

Joni

It did quite a lot for a premiere.
- Set up the fact that the tribes are in-fighting again, weakening Lexa's position.
- Show that there is a new truce which makes sure there is no war fallout.
- Confirm that they have control over Mt. Weather, but won't move in because that would piss off the grounders.
- Show that they have been looking for other space stations and have found some.
- Confirm that Clarke's actions have had consequences and they are known, while showing how she survives.

Kyoufu

It did quite a lot for a premiere.
- Set up the fact that the tribes are in-fighting again, weakening Lexa's position.
- Show that there is a new truce which makes sure there is no war fallout.
- Confirm that they have control over Mt. Weather, but won't move in because that would piss off the grounders.
- Show that they have been looking for other space stations and have found some.
- Confirm that Clarke's actions have had consequences and they are known, while showing how she survives.

My eyes must have been clouded by Jasper's ability to annoy every viewer watching this episode. He was more annoying in one episode than Felicity has ever been on Arrow. :b I can't get over the fact that Bellamy allowed such an unstable character to go along on a trip where they could easily start a war by killing grounders, which funnily enough led them to killing grounders because of him anyway.

I also don't like how much of a weeaboo Octavia is considering her grounder lover is fully accepted by her people. Why is she mad?

Joni

I also don't like how much of a weeaboo Octavia is considering her grounder lover is fully accepted by her people. Why is she mad?

Because they simply are not her people. The minute they discovered she was alive, she was tossed in jail for the crime of existing. She spent a majority of her life locked up in a little box, then was thrown in jail to live life in a little bigger box. She was accepted by the grounders, the first time anyone outside of her brother has.

Clarke isnt perfect - she has been more or less on her own for a while as they established, is being hunted and was hurt quite a bit just before...its not that unrealistic for her to let her guard down and enjoy life a bit when she has the chance.

The girl looked good, patched her and and lied for her...doesn't sound that Alien to me when you consider she is likely the only person Clarke interacted with for the last months.

Exactly. She's barely had any human contact for months outside of this one person, who proves herself to be trustworthy, so Clarke drops her guard for a moment. She's probably known the girl for about as long as the timeline of season 1 and 2 added together (if I'm remembering the timeline correctly).

I really don't understand the argument for it feeling forced or unnecessary. And whilst I'm not going to automatically assume that anyone is being homophobic when they complain about the scene, I can understand why others would think that. The first time we get a gay sex scene on screen (and it's barely even a sex scene, come on), and suddenly it's unnecessary.

The facebook comment someone linked earlier of people complaining about the scene was hilarious.

Because they simply are not her people. The minute they discovered she was alive, she was tossed in jail for the crime of existing. She spent a majority of her life locked up in a little box, then was thrown in jail to live life in a little bigger box. She was accepted by the grounders, the first time anyone outside of her brother has.

Yep, plus the fact that her boyfriend is now wearing the uniform that stands for all the bullshit that happened to her.

Joni

Exactly. She's barely had any human contact for months outside of this one person, who proves herself to be trustworthy, so Clarke drops her guard for a moment. She's probably known the girl for about as long as the timeline of season 1 and 2 added together (if I'm remembering the timeline correctly).
The 100 Wikia has the first two seasons at 50 days together, so yes, the gap is 60 days between 2 and 3.

Somnia

Yep! I feel like a lot of people forget this.

bbd23

alright I watched the first 2 seasons in a week lmao

what a god damn good show. season 2 was fantastic.

glad I stuck with it after that HORRIBLE first episode.

waiting weekly for this show is gonna suck so much!!!

TripOpt55

I liked the premiere. I really love getting to explore this world and getting back in there again was nice. Pretty cool to see the guy from Black Sails. He should be a good fit on the show. I like the setup of everyone hunting Clarke. And just checking in with all the characters and seeing where they are at was fun.

I thought the songs were a bit much particularly the second piano bit. The part with Murphy in the bunker came off a little corny the way it was done for some reason to me too, but I did think it was a clever way to handle showing the time jump.

Solid premiere. Looking forward to the next episode.

Joni

alright I watched the first 2 seasons in a week lmao

what a god damn good show. season 2 was fantastic.

glad I stuck with it after that HORRIBLE first episode.

waiting weekly for this show is gonna suck so much!!!

It had some moments

tumblr_n40nlhOkfX1r5zcyco4_250.gif
tumblr_n32ccjne1R1tq8fico2_400.gif

Those two.

Won

Meh premiere. I'm tired of grounder politics and shenanigans, so I guess Murphy and Jaha have to carry the show for me for now.

The point I'm making is that she never considered any other strategy despite being warned by Lexa that the grounders will always put their people first.

Ultimately in the end she held the power and had leverage over the mountain men. One alternative option was to offer blood transfusions from the rest of the ark survivors in addition to the ones in the mountain. If it still wasn't enough then the transfusions could be done over time. Instead the mountain men, including innocent men, women and children were brutally killed.

So... her inexperience led to her lacking any kind of foresight with regard to the grounder's betrayal as well as a complete lack of a secondary plan, and on top of that the children in the mountain men had to undergo a brutal and painful death.

I will never value Clarke as a leader for that reason.

Yes, she's inexperienced. But the only blame I put on her for the Mt. Weather massacre is pulling the lever. She was put in that situation because Cage wouldn't listen. If anything, the reason they all died was Cage not Clarke. Dante said it best when speaking to Cage in Part 1, "You've killed us". If Dante had been in command, everyone would have lived.

Mount Weather had a male leadership, but the Grounders seem to be female lead. There are 12 clans, gathered in a coalition, with all known leaders female.
- Lexa: The Coalition.
- Indra: The Woods Clan, possibly in name of Lexa.
- Luna: The Boat People
- Nia: The Ice Nation

Lexa lead Trigeda, not Indra. Indra is simply the chief of TonDC.

mm04

I think its quite obvious that Clarke will bang man, woman or beast, it doesn't matter, to further her gains. Jasper going the Finn route of me wanting him dead.

Joni

Lexa lead Trigeda, not Indra. Indra is simply the chief of TonDC.
Indra seems to do the day-2-day stuff for the clan though, while Lexa leads the coalition.

Bellamy and Clarke shippers were raging because of that and Bellamy and that girl. Strangely enough, Clarke and Lexa shippers seemed happy Clarke got some.
I'm okay with Clarke meeting Lexa and the Trader Girl, but I do have a problem with Belammy and the Random Girl as someone that wants Clarke and Bellamy to end up together.

xenist

If Clarke somehow manages to also put Jasper out of my misery she will have completely redeemed herself for getting lovey dovey with Finn. DJ Qualls Lite motherfucker trying to be hardcore.

Octavia is a fucking moron. "You'll never be one of them!!!" she says as she's riding horseback and waving a sword around lmao. She's like a white girl in a Native headdress protesting the Washington Redskins logo.

Joni

Octavia is a fucking moron. "You'll never be one of them!!!" she says as she's riding horseback and waving a sword around lmao. She's like a white girl in a Native headdress protesting the Washington Redskins logo.
If that white girl had been adopted by a Native American, sure.

Chuckie

That doesn't seem fair to her. She's part of that Grounder tribe right?

I do think it was weird for her to 'criticize' the guy for wearing a uniform and trying to adapt to the Ark community.

If that white girl had been adopted by a Native American, sure.

That is precisely why it is hypocritical of her to be saying that he can't be one of them.

You know sometimes I feel people are willing to excuse a lot of stupid stuff in this show simply because they're so enamoured by the characters.

Joni

That is precisely why it is hypocritical of her to be saying that he can't be one of them.

You know sometimes I feel people are willing to excuse a lot of stupid stuff in this show simply because they're so enamoured by the characters.

Why would she on an emotional level think that the people that wanted her dead for existing would accept Lincoln? And why would she have to accept on an emotional level that her boyfriend might want to be part of a group that never wanted her? She is a 17-year old girl, rejected by a group of people for 16,5 years. It is not hard to see why it makes sense for her character.

I think its quite obvious that Clarke will bang man, woman or beast, it doesn't matter, to further her gains. Jasper going the Finn route of me wanting him dead.

Who has she fucked to further her gains?

Or because they actually remember what happened in previous eps to those characters.

Who has she fucked to further her gains?

Or because they actually remember what happened in previous eps to those characters.

Oh, I remember all the way back to the very first episode. That is why I have a hard time accepting a girl with zero experience who grew up in a space station leading hardened warriors into battle.

When she fucks up due to said lack of experience everyone proclaims "but she had no choice" or "lexa betrayed her"! If you were there alongside her (and this was real and not a TV fantasy) that kind of blind delusion would get you killed.

But it is escapist fantasy so I suppose I should accept that a young girl who grew up on a space station can negotiate with hardened warriors, concoct battle plans, lead armies, and kill panthers with a flimsy knife.

When you're starved of strong female characters I suppose it is only to be expected that you wolf down whatever garbage gets thrown your way.

Why would she on an emotional level think that the people that wanted her dead for existing would accept Lincoln? And why would she have to accept on an emotional level that her boyfriend might want to be part of a group that never wanted her? She is a 17-year old girl, rejected by a group of people for 16,5 years. It is not hard to see why it makes sense for her character.

Why would she feel the grounders would accept her after Clarke and others helped kill 300 of their warriors? That to me is more absurd than Lincoln gradually working his way into the good graces of people he has helped.

She has it stuck in her head that she can't be accepted by that group, so naturally she's going to behave like a petulant brat and say Lincoln can't either. But the reality of the situation is that she'll never be accepted because she doesn't want to be.

Oh, I remember all the way back to the very first episode. That is why I have a hard time accepting a girl with zero experience who grew up in a space station leading hardened warriors into battle.

When she fucks up due to said lack of experience everyone proclaims "but she had no choice" or "lexa betrayed her"! If you were there alongside her (and this was real and not a TV fantasy) that kind of blind delusion would get you killed.

But it is escapist fantasy so I suppose I should accept that a young girl who grew up on a space station can negotiate with hardened warriors, concoct battle plans, lead armies, and kill panthers with a flimsy knife.

When you're starved of strong female characters I suppose it is only to be expected that you wolf down whatever garbage gets thrown your way.

Really? That's why many of your posts in this thread are asking questions about major plot points in previous episodes? You couldn't even remember what happened at Mt. Weather, arguably the most important event of the show.

You seem to have built up this weird image of fans in your head who worship the female characters, and think they're all morally good. You can enjoy a character and the way they are written whilst also realizing that some of their actions are dumb or morally fucked.

It's hard to take your criticisms seriously when you post in the thread with a lack of knowledge for the show's plot, and seemingly no interest in either paying attention to the show or at least looking up shit that happened. I have a pretty shitty attention span so sometimes I miss things. Do I then post in threads moaning about storylines I can't remember and stating I don't even care about remembering them? No, I'd rather actually get my facts straight before criticizing or praising something.

Joni

Why would she feel the grounders would accept her after Clarke and others helped kill 300 of their warriors? That to me is more absurd than Lincoln gradually working his way into the good graces of people he has helped.
She was accepted, she was training with Indra... Indra and the other grounders are also quite accepting of strong warriors. There is no problem in that she killed some of them when attacked in a fair war. She was also gone by the time the grounders were burned alive, she was with Lincoln at the time who can confirm what she did. From around episode 4-5 of the show, she spends almost all her time with grounders.

She has it stuck in her head that she can't be accepted by that group, so naturally she's going to behave like a petulant brat and say Lincoln can't either. But the reality of the situation is that she'll never be accepted because she doesn't want to be.
You seem to be thinking that she should just forget everything that happened and join them like nothing ever happened. You want a character that has none of the history of the character.

Somnia

I think it's fine you have your own point of view on the character, but don't assume just because others don't agree with you that we are just "ignoring" things because we like said characters.

Octavia was never part of the ARK, she lived in a hole in the floor for almost her entire life, the 1 day she gets out she gets caught, her mom gets killed and she gets thrown back into another hole. Then the ARK sends her with 99 other kids to earth to see if people can live there and if not she dies. She then happens to meet and start to fall for a Grounder. Then by happenstance a truce is called between the ARK and the Grounders, she decides to try and prove herself as being more than a nobody and gets beat up, but proves her will and strength and is then accepted by Indra.

In the end she made a choice to stay behind to save her brother who is the ONLY person to ever accept her before the grounders (some of the other 100 kids did too, but you know what I mean) which then ruined her acceptance by the Grounders also. If you don't see how she feels alone that's fine, but some of us have other opinions.

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘The 100’ Showrunner Talks Clarke’s Sexuality, Lexa’s Return and Season 3 Stakes.
We really pushed that in season two. At the beginning of the season, I knew Clarke was going to kill Finn, but I didn’t know how. I knew that at the end of the season, she was going to irradiate every man, woman and child in Mount Weather. There’s some fighting [about that as the story is shaped]. You’ve got to overcome the instinct to [always] want to have a happy ending or a little lightness. I have certain people around me who are really, really helpful in creating cool ideas and keeping me on track and making sure I picked the right thing. [Writer] Kim Shumway, for instance, was always right there saying “No, no, we have to do it. We have to irradiate. We have to do it. We can’t go soft and let the children escape or some other thing.”

Joni

I have no idea what else you have written Kim Shunway, but you are now on the list of my favorite TV writers.

Also:
"They were on a break."

G-Bus

Banned
Feels like more than 3 months has passed. Something me and the gf couldn't get over.

Jasper dieing seems like a good thing.

I don't know if it's the actress or how the characters portrayed but I find Clark awkward. Not sure how else to explain it.

How come we're getting weekly releases with this? Why can't they just drop the whole season on us :(

Feels like more than 3 months has passed. Something me and the gf couldn't get over.

Jasper dieing seems like a good thing.

I don't know if it's the actress or how the characters portrayed but I find Clark awkward. Not sure how else to explain it.

How come we're getting weekly releases with this? Why can't they just drop the whole season on us :(

because we love the wait. (y)

People actually had an issue with that sex scene? It was extremely tame and I've seen way more explicit stuff in other broadcast series/PG-13 movies. Is it because it was two women? It's 2016 for fuck's sake. And no, I don't think it was unnecessary at all. She was obviously lonely and tired and wanted some comfort from someone who actually helped her.

Somnia

I have no idea what else you have written Kim Shunway, but you are now on the list of my favorite TV writers.

Also:
"They were on a break."

Ya I looked her up on IMDB to no avail, no idea what she has done besides this.

edit: Ah hah found her, it's Shumway. She helped with the Dallas TV show before The 100, so she's pretty new.

Joni

It makes the show better. It is helping us digest the show better, trying to analyse all the details, like what role will the trader girl play with her seemingly relevant tattoo.

Top Bottom