• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
bud said:
does that mean you're 58? sir, you might just be the oldest gaffer.

Oh, NO, sorry! I AM pretty old by GAF standards, I'm sure - 46, but I was speaking in "photo first person" as a follow up to the original photo of K Bigelow from a bit earlier in the thread....

JGS

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
Yes you are right, most media, critics, & guilds did praise Avatar, and I bet you none of those media, critics, & guilds contributed to this thread with their whining and bitching about Avatar losing to The Hurt Locker. Now if you didn't chose to read my words with your prejudice love and defense for Avatar, I wouldn't need to explain to you the above two sentences do I ?

I didn't take your profound words for Abbadduh or however you mispelled it out of context. My "negative emotions" :)lol ) were regarding your incorrect post, not Avatar losing which could have been expected.

You mistakenly assumed that the majority of Gaffers like Avatar because we like videogames, which is a silly thing to compare considering the love Avatar gets outside the gaming world. I'm sorry if you didn't understand that.

EricHasNoPull said:
Which takes me back to my point of I am tired of these (mostly gaming) Avatards in this thread, just blindingly following a box office hit like sheep because in many words or less, it is a movie with "great graphics"

If gaming Avatards are following a box office hit like sheep because it has great graphics, then why exactly did others like it as well? Hmm....

Further, it appears that many Avatards enjoyed THL as well. Would that be because it plays like a videogame too? Hmm...

EricHasNoPull said:
(I can tell you now that The Hurt Locker did much better critically than Avatar, but unlike you I don't want to get off topic)

Was there a time I said that Avatar got more critical acclaim? Hmm....

I think most people , including THL producers, would prefer critical acclaim, recognition, & profits rather than instead of profits. I think Cameron probably slept well last night.:lol

Let me know if I took your comments out of context again.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Jibril said:
There was none. In all honesty, the better film won. But the best film didn't. ( IB <3)

It's still happening. Every hater of THL is bitter tears over Avatar not winning. There was hardly anyone pushing for IB to win before, suddenly there's a lot of people upset? Yeah sure, closet Avatar fans.

WrikaWrek

Banned
JGS said:
Even if this were true (It isn't), at least it will have that. Avatar will be immortalized just for the sheer number of DVD releases that cath up to the tech it uses!

The Hurt Locker was only known during to the awards season and as great as it is, it will be forgotten before the Iraq War is over. It's only shot will be achieving cult status which there is no reason to think it will get.

It was a great film, probably deserved the Oscar, but will also be relegated to the Ordinary People, Crash, & (I hate to say this because I loved this movie) Slumdog side of Oscar winning immortality.

Here's what you don't get.

20 years from now Avatar will be a name, an unwatchable movie because of it's extremely dated visuals, poor story, etc.

The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basters, etc will be movies than when you re watch, they are still just as awesome.

So who gives a shit. You can keep trying to spread that hurtin, sour from Avatar not winning, not only is THL the better movie now, it will be even better later. (in comparison)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
WrikaWrek said:

20 years from now Avatar will be a name, an unwatchable movie because of it's extremely dated visuals, poor story, etc.

The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basters, etc will be movies than when you re watch, they are still just as awesome.

So who gives a shit. You can keep trying to spread that hurtin, sour from Avatar not winning, not only is THL the better movie now, it will be even better later. (in comparison)

This is true. The only counter example to this is the original Star Wars trilogy but even then, it can be argued weather the effects were the draw or not.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
What I really don't understand with this years Oscars is Why were Avatar, District 9, Up and Inglorious Basterds even nominated for Best Picture? Was last year really drought of movies up for this task? They are decent, some even enjoyable, but not the-best-of-the-best material.

GhaleonEB

WrikaWrek said:

Yeah, no. Avatar's fundamentals are solid enough that it will age just fine. There's plenty of much worse effects-driven films that are considered classics now.

It's the same argument as saying the only reason the film was successful was its visuals, which isn't the case. It is first and foremost a good movie.

dofry said:
What I really don't understand with this years Oscars is Why were Avatar, District 9, Up and Inglorious Basterds even nominated for Best Picture? Was last year really drought of movies up for this task? They are decent, some even enjoyable, but not the-best-of-the-best material.
Just out of interest, what would you have nominated this year?

otake

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, no. Avatar's fundamentals are solid enough that it will age just fine. There's plenty of much worse effects-driven films that are considered classics now.

It's the same argument as saying the only reason the film was successful was its visuals, which isn't the case. It is first and foremost a good movie.

I really doubt that.

Gary Whitta said:

Book of Eli, of course!

BowieZ

Banned
dofry said:
The Academy doesn't nominate the best-of-the-best, haven't we all learned that by now?

wRATH2x

Banned
I loved the John Hughes tribute!

Dooooooooooon't you.........Forget about me!....Forget about me!

But where was Emilio? He needed to complete my favorite three of the brat pack with Judd Nelson and Allie Sheedy :(

otake

Gary Whitta said:
That's next year!

Me dumb dumb. I am eagerly anticipating your movies release on bluray. I don't visit the theater much anymore so I'm doing netflix, it does look good, Gary.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Gary Whitta said:

I really can't say as I did not even watch all of the nominated movies. Just saying these don't even remotely feel like they deserved this.

BowieZ: After watching The Wrestler get zip, nada, nothing at Oscars 2009 I lost all hope.

dofry said:
I really can't say as I did not even watch all of the nominated movies. Just saying these don't even remotely feel like they deserved this.
Okay, basic rule: you don't get to criticize nominations for movies you have not watched. :lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

Gary Whitta said:
Okay, basic rule: you don't get to criticize nominations for movies you have not watched. :lol :lol :lol
This is a companion to the rule that you can't criticize a movie winning that you haven't seen.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The academy members really should be able to write in N/A for best picture. I mean I thought Bombsnipers was OK, but it wasn't no best pic.

oh wow, I just learned that a friend of mine was second unit assistant director on The Hurt Locker! Now I feel like seeing the movie :lol

IMDB lists it as 2008, why was it in this year's oscars?

harSon

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

They picked a really bad year to expand best picture.

I personally think they should ditch the foreign category and allow all movies, regardless of country of origin, to be eligible for any category. It could potentially squash American fears of foreign movies and subtitles, and potentially bring a lot of them to much wider releases than what we see now.

Ceres

Banned
Naked Snake said:
oh wow, I just learned that a friend of mine was second unit assistant director on The Hurt Locker! Now I feel like seeing the movie :lol

IMDB lists it as 2008, why was it in this year's oscars?

It was only screened at international festivals in 2008. Didn't hit US theaters until summer of 2009.

JGS

Banned
otake said:
In 6 months you should re-read your post and this one. Perhaps then you will see how naive it reads. The hurt locker will be forgotten as well. 90% of movies are forgotten within six months. We don't get Forest Gump level movies every year and neither hurt locker or avatar are remotely close to it. What I find particularly funny about your post is that I read similar post about Star Wars episode 1 and the tech it used.

I didn't mean to sound naive. I meant to say that Avatar would be more endearing. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that one. The simple story will be remebered more. The grand spectacle of effects, romance, & clear cut good vs. eveil will always beat out a smallish Iraq War drama about a loony bomb squad captain with a death wish.

I agree about the Forest Gump level movies not coming around, but disgaree about where Avatar fits. Hurt Locker will be in the other category. But is Avatar up there with the likes of Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, LOTR, & Forest Gump? Absolutely.

I didn't mean to overemphasize the effects part just the reach and legs that Avatar will have. People are still watching Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Raiders, etc... and it won't be too different with Avatar.

Hurt Locker? Not so much. In fact, not many watched it the first time around.

Masaki_

brianjones said:
i was thinking the same thing :lol

how did you stumble upon 8 1/2

I like good movies.

It seems I have this amazing gift of being able to appreciate great cinema in all its forms.

Pretty predictable but the awards were all deserved. The one I was most happy about was Jeff Bridges winning an Oscar and also Bigelow (and God Damn, for a 58 year old I would tap that).

JGS said:
I didn't mean to sound naive. I meant to say that Avatar would be more endearing. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that one. The simple story will be remebered more. The grand spectacle of effects, romance, & clear cut good vs. eveil will always beat out a smallish Iraq War drama about a loony bomb squad captain with a death wish.

I agree about the Forest Gump level movies not coming around, but disgaree about where Avatar fits. Hurt Locker will be in the other category. But is Avatar up there with the likes of Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, LOTR, & Forest Gump? Absolutely.

I didn't mean to overemphasize the effects part just the reach and legs that Avatar will have. People are still watching Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Raiders, etc... and it won't be too different with Avatar.

Compelling argument. Really. Hurt Locker now cleaned up at the Oscars and destroyed Avatar critically. At least you have the box office? Then again, so does Transformers 2.

DeathNote said:
The Hurt Locker only made 21 million and a 6 million profit? No wonder I never heard of it. No one fucking seen it. :lol

the official thread had 2 pages? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358662 :lol

i'll watch it asap.
This is equivalent to picking The Wire over American Idol for Best Emmy Series. I mean, The Wire only got 1 million viewers on HBO. How could they?!

aparisi2274

Not sure if this was discussed, but I just read this on nypost.com

Making Documentary Short interesting

Last night after "Music by Prudence" won the Oscar for Best Documentary Short, director Roger Ross Williams ran (and I'm mean hustled!) up on stage to accept. After 20 seconds of him speaking, a former producer on the project, Elinor Burkett, bum rushed the stage and hijacked the mic. No one knew what to make of the incident -- thankfully, both spoke out on it today!

"What happened was the director and I had a bad difference over the direction of the film that resulted in a lawsuit that has settled amicably out of court. But there have been all these events around the Oscars, and I wasn't invited to any of them. And he's not speaking to me. And then, as I'm sure you saw, when we won, he raced up there to accept the award. And his mother took her cane and blocked me. So I couldn't get up there very fast," Elinor told Salon.

Roger counters, "That was handled by the publicist for the academy. I don't know what they told her. The academy is very clear that only one person can speak. I own the film. She has no claim whatsoever. She has nothing to do with the movie. She just ambushed me. I was sort of in shock."

17185068--500x380.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Compelling argument. Really. Hurt Locker now cleaned up at the Oscars and destroyed Avatar critically. At least you have the box office? Then again, so does Transformers 2.
Really? Hurt Locker getting a 94 on Metacritic and Avatar getting an 84 (both Universal Acclaim) is "destruction"?

JGS

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

:lol You are a piece of work. Talk about a hater.

And before I'm called a hater again, I'm not. I never said in any of my threads I wanted or thought Avatar was going to win- not even in the Avatar thread where I was in peak fanboy mode. It's MY favorite movie of the year. That does not mean I translate that into thinking it would be best picture. Otherwise I would be fuming over all of the Speed Racer, Dark Knight, & Wall-e snubs from last year. I was shocked when Avatar won at the Golden Globes.

IB I'll give you because of Tarentino's fanbase, but there is no way THL is going to last 20 years.

I thought it was going to be between Up in the Air and THL with the Dark Horse being Precious. I liked THL just fine, just like I liked Shakespeare In Love, Chicago, & Chariots of Fire. However, none of them are on my OMG must see again list- like THL 1-2 years from now (unless there's a sequel).

It may be remembered for who directed it and that's only if another woman doesn't come on the scene (or Bigelow herself). After it's frst run on cable, I expect many showings of it on IFC & Sundance. But it's not going to hang around with the big dogs.

gdt

BowieZ said:
Really? Hurt Locker getting a 94 on Metacritic and Avatar getting an 84 (both Universal Acclaim) is "destruction"?

Not to mention THL 97% vs Avatar 94% in RWTC.

97% vs 82% general.

JGS

Banned

I'm not making an argument that Avatar should have won over THL, just that it will be seen many, many, many times more than THL over a greater number of years- Oscar or not. It's kind of like how more people have seen True Lies than Reds.

Critical acclaim is important, but for longevity, you better believe box office plays a role. The Oscars are Hurt Locker's last shot for good word of mouth.

This is equivalent to picking The Wire over American Idol for Best Emmy Series. I mean, The Wire only got 1 million viewers on HBO. How could they?!

Are you thinking quality = longevity?
It does not. The TV landscape you mention is riddled with critical darlings cancelled in their first season. The Wire was one of the lucky ones.

v0yce

JGS said:

Eh, maybe I'm running in the wrong circles but how many people talk fondly about Titanic and rewatch it often? I rarely hear anyone discuss it. I see Avatar pretty much the same way. Its moment was huge, but it will pass and be all but forgotten.

Kunan

Sobriquet said:
And the Award for Best Cinematography goes to:

2aiez3t.jpg
Guess what, with a green screen you still need to set up your lights and camera shots and even entirely CG scenes have cameras and lights that must be set up and worked.

XiaNaphryz said:
That's not really the hard part. The hard part is making the cameras feel like real ones, virtual cameras suffer from being too "perfect" in terms of focus levels, etc. A lot of Pixar's behind the scenes stuff that covers this subject are a good place to find some examples on the challenges with it.
Not to mention setting up the lights and camera shots for composited shots is not a simple task.

v0yce

Gary Whitta said:
Maybe it's time for Matt Damon's idea, where Oscars are handed out ten years after the films came out.

I'd love that. Or even one year later would make a big difference IMO.

v0yce said:
Eh, maybe I'm running in the wrong circles but how many people talk fondly about Titanic and rewatch it often? I rarely hear anyone discuss it. I see Avatar pretty much the same way.
The key difference between Titanic and Avatar?

Furries.

Those freaks will keep Avatar alive for decades.

Masaki_

v0yce said:
Eh, maybe I'm running in the wrong circles but how many people talk fondly about Titanic and rewatch it often? I rarely hear anyone discuss it. I see Avatar pretty much the same way. Its moment was huge, but it will pass and be all but forgotten.

i guess the difference is titanic won tons of oscars and avatar didn't?

Tobor

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
People still watch Platoon. Who's to say that The Hurt Locker won't be in a similar boat 25 years from now?

Exactly. This argument about which movies will be remembered in 20 years is asinine and irrelevant. What was the better movie this year? That's all the Academy members can and should vote on.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Just watched Hurt Locker. And coming from a guy who saw Avatar twice in theaters, once in IMAX...Hurt Locker was better. What an awesome movie.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tobor said:
Exactly. This argument about which movies will be remembered in 20 years is asinine and irrelevant. What was the better movie this year? That's all the Academy members can and should vote on.

but how do they account for people that tried their best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom