• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Avatar got robbed for Best Picture.

Cameron got robbed for Best Director.

Basterds got robbed for Best Original Screenplay.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Mo'nique's proud black woman speech. lol at her expression :lol

Schattenjagger said:
am I the only one that thought Martin and Baldwin were terrile as hosts ? Most of their jokes fell short - need to bring back jon Stewart
I thought Martin was fantastic, and Baldwin was not so great. They would have been better off having Martin go solo.

Mo'nique's speech was pathetic, get the fuck over yourself. By all accounts she seems to have been great in that movie, but her speech was basically "I'm better than these people, thank God you gave it to me". Almost as bad as that make up chick that was like "Oh shit, this is my third, guess I'll have to find SOMEONE to dedicate this to!"

Sobriquet

And the Award for Best Cinematography goes to:

2aiez3t.jpg

Panda1

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Mo'nique's speech was pathetic, get the fuck over yourself. By all accounts she seems to have been great in that movie, but her speech was basically "I'm better than these people, thank God you gave it to me". Almost as bad as that make up chick that was like "Oh shit, this is my third, guess I'll have to find SOMEONE to dedicate this to!"

Haters keep on hating!

Masaki_

i haven't seen the hurt locker but i'm certain whatever work bigelow put into it doesn't come close to cameron. this isn't the first time the academy rewarded mediocre filmmakers and movies, but still doesnt stop me from being pissed off somehow, even as it approaches complete irrelevancy. i guess that was what it would've made people see avatar from a more serious perspective. i would definitely like to see cameron another oscar before he's done.

karasu

Masaki_ said:
i haven't seen the hurt locker but i'm certain whatever work bigelow put into it doesn't come close to cameron. this isn't the first time the academy rewarded mediocre filmmakers and movies, but still doesnt stop me from being pissed off somehow, even as it approaches complete irrelevancy. i guess that was what it would've made people see avatar from a more serious perspective. i would definitely like to see cameron another oscar before he's done.

I like her stuff a lot more.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
IB isn't even Quentins best work. I don't think it's a better movie than D9. I personally enjoy watching IB more, it's more entertaining. But that doesn't make it a better movie. I really do believe D9 should have won, Quentin should have won best original screenplay.

Sobriquet

TheGreatDave said:
Almost as bad as that make up chick that was like "Oh shit, this is my third, guess I'll have to find SOMEONE to dedicate this to!"
She had a good point, though. The Oscar for Costuming always goes to a period piece or sparkly musical.

MIMIC

Banned
Read through the last 20 pages during my lunch break. Sadly, my lunch break is over :(

I really thought I was alone at one point in thinking that THL was overrated (although some people trash it because it won....like Crash). I had no idea that that was such a popular opinion.

Veidt

otake said:
IB isn't even Quentins best work. I don't think it's a better movie than D9. I personally enjoy watching IB more, it's more entertaining. But that doesn't make it a better movie. I really do believe D9 should have won, Quentin should have won best original screenplay.

I like you man, and this isn't something directed at you specifically.
People who think D9 deserves best picture over IB are crazy yo . And I say that as someone who loved the fuck out of it.

Undoubtedly it was movie of the year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sobriquet said:
You sure about that?
It's true. You need to match the lighting conditions of the on-set stuff to the CG set stuff, and blocking out virtual cameras isn't necessarily easier either, especially if you're trying to recreate "real" feeling camera movements, focus levels, etc. The only way that it's easier is not having to physically maneuver a rig around a set. If you play around with a virtual studio setup, it's not nearly as easy as people think.

IB is serious flaws in it although I like the movie.

my biggest complaint about IB is the recycling of songs that QT already used in Kill Bill. Which fucken weird and what? why use the same Ennio Marconni songs from Kill Bill pt 2 in IB??? like what?

Brad Pitt's character in IB was IMO useless especially when he is billed as the main but doesn't play as the main in the movie

v0yce

WyndhamPrice said:
Just because it's digital doesn't make it any easier to frame or light or shoot.

Umm...

Sobriquet said:
She had a good point, though. The Oscar for Costuming always goes to a period piece or sparkly musical.

Yep. I thought that was actually kind of gracious of her to own up to that.

Veidt

It's actually harder because it's digital, since you have to make the technology in the first place. And it looks better too.

Masaki_ said:
i haven't seen the hurt locker but i'm certain whatever work bigelow put into it doesn't come close to cameron.
If "amount of effort" was the primary criterion for awarding Oscars, Delgo would have gotten last year's Best Animated Feature Oscar. It's obvious that Cameron poured several years of his life into Avatar, but that doesn't mean he's more deserving than Bigelow for Best Director.

Avatar was an amazing technical achievement, but it is one of the most derivative films I have ever seen. While you can certainly applaud Cameron for his efforts in pushing new filmmaking technology, you can't just overlook his failure to create an original narrative.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jibril said:
It's actually harder because it's digital, since you have to make the technology in the first place. And it looks better too.
That's not really the hard part. The hard part is making the cameras feel like real ones, virtual cameras suffer from being too "perfect" in terms of focus levels, etc. A lot of Pixar's behind the scenes stuff that covers this subject are a good place to find some examples on the challenges with it.

gdt

Wow, at lot of people have no idea how Avatar was filmed in here (or how shooting digital/mo-cap stuff works), I think.

Anywho, ratings up a massive 20% this year. The Academy must be happy with their 10 nominees decision. They might do that again this year :/.

So out of all the short animated films in the world, I am to believe Logorama was due an Oscar was it? No.

Disappointed to see District 9 get absolutely nothing.

Veidt

XiaNaphryz said:
That's not really the hard part. The hard part is making the cameras feel like real ones, virtual cameras suffer from being too "perfect" in terms of focus levels, etc. A lot of Pixar's behind the scenes stuff that covers this subject are a good place to find some examples on the challenges with it.

aye t'is true. It's have no idea why people hate anything and everything CG. None of the shit we see today would be possible without it. CG involves a lot of hard work, that deserves to be rewarded. I say this as a computing student who's had trouble making apps and games. :lol

Tobor

Jibril said:
The Cinematographer didn't make the technology.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Really, I just think D9 is almost perfect. Excellent pacing, cinematography, great story, great writing, great acting and solid delivery all around.

I love IB but it's very uneven and has pacing issues, this coming from a huge IB fan.

YYZ

You guys need to calm down about me. Sure, I looked I good at the Oscars, but everyone does to some extent.

bigelow-2.jpg

Tobor

gdt5016 said:
Wow, at lot of people have no idea how Avatar was filmed in here (or how shooting digital/mo-cap stuff works), I think.

Anywho, ratings up a massive 20% this year. The Academy must be happy with their 10 nominees decision. They might do that again this year :/.
Where's the guy who predicted outrage in the media if Avatar lost? :lol

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I want Ellen to host again next year. I enjoyed the cohosts this year to an extent, but she was wonderful a few years back.

Puddles said:
Avatar got robbed for Best Picture.

Cameron got robbed for Best Director.

Basterds got robbed for Best Original Screenplay.

I think I just had about enough of these Avatards, I guess I cannot expect anything more from the GAF crowd, since I am sure most of the whiners and cry babies bitching in this thread are gamers first , then movie lovers, and when I say gamers, I assume graphic whores ...anyway the point is, there shouldn't be this many people crying b/c Abadahh didn't win.

Because to me that is discomforting and means that Jim C. has lowered the standards for the mass movie going public on what truly makes a great film, I am afraid to say this but..if a movie now in the theaters doesn't support 3D glasses and doesn't have some sort of mech machines, robots or aliens in it engaged in epic, intergalactic battles, people are most likely going to consider themselves "robbed" from their 8 or 10 bucks. And as a movie lover who values great story, drama and character development more than render farms at WETA studios, this possibility worries me.

Veidt

BertramCooper said:
She's sure as hell better than his current squeeze.

2c00ca4e77df3accaa8d3b84c34fd0c5.jpg

That woman is 48 YEARS OLD.

the one on the left or the one on the right?

OH SHI

Masaki_

brianjones said:
putting more work into something doesn't make something better.

kinda does in the case, but i'll reserve judgement until I get the chance to watch the hurt locker. trying not to talk shit about without even seeing it.

BertramCooper said:
If "amount of effort" was the primary criterion for awarding Oscars, Delgo would have gotten last year's Best Animated Feature Oscar. It's obvious that Cameron poured several years of his life into Avatar, but that doesn't mean he's more deserving than Bigelow for Best Director.

true, but when that something you put so much effort into becomes a tremendous success, then, yeah, i think you deserve what awards you can get, especially when you also happen to postpone the death of an industry while you're at it

Avatar was an amazing technical achievement, but it is one of the most derivative films I have ever seen. While you can certainly applaud Cameron for his efforts in pushing new filmmaking technology, you can't just overlook his failure to create an original narrative.

that's kinda debatable. you can't really get even a very similar movie to avatar and say "it's just like it", like idiots do so frequently with pocahontas and dances with wolves. giving their most important awards to the hurt locker just seem to me like another attempt to keep that phony image of "non-endorsement of popcorn flicks", so they award a good movie with some artistic ambition but still as tame as it gets.

i think people need to look beyond the obvious. the obvious right now is that avatar is a pretty movie, but shallow. i have nothing but praise to give to it, even though i think mainstream american film industry is, for the most part, a gigantic blight that distracts us from the truly great movies. believe me when i say i wouldn't have as much respect as I have for avatar for any other good-looking movie.

harSon

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
So out of all the short animated films in the world, I am to believe Logorama was due an Oscar was it? No.

Disappointed to see District 9 get absolutely nothing.

It didn't deserve anything.

The only thing it should have been nominated for was Visual Effects, and it picked a horrible year for that :lol

Ceres

Banned
Jibril said:
aye t'is true. It's have no idea why people hate anything and everything CG. None of the shit we see today would be possible without it. CG involves a lot of hard work, that deserves to be rewarded. I say this as a computing student who's had trouble making apps and games. :lol

If only there was an award for that. We could call it something like Best Visual Effects

Sobriquet

XiaNaphryz said:
It's true. You need to match the lighting conditions of the on-set stuff to the CG set stuff, and blocking out virtual cameras isn't necessarily easier either, especially if you're trying to recreate "real" feeling camera movements, focus levels, etc. The only way that it's easier is not having to physically maneuver a rig around a set. If you play around with a virtual studio setup, it's not nearly as easy as people think.
Sorry, but it's just not true.

I haven't played around with a virtual studio setup, but I have been doing lighting on movies and TV for twelve years.

Avatar won for best visual effects, and rightly so. But it winning for Cinematography is a joke.

Masaki_ said:
true, but when that something you put so much effort into becomes a tremendous success, then, yeah, i think you deserve what awards you can get, especially when you also happen to postpone the death of a industry while you're at it
Whaaat? Since when has the film industry been on the brink of death? Total B.O. numbers have continued to increase, even in the midst of an economic downturn.

It may be the most financially successful film of all time, but to think that Avatar somehow saved the film industry is delusional.

Veidt

Ceres said:
If only there was an award for that. We could call it something like Best Visual Effects
well, you've got me here.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom