• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masaki_

BertramCooper said:
Whaaat? Since when has the film industry been on the brink of death? Total B.O. numbers have continued to increase, even in the midst of an economic downturn.

It may be the most financially successful film of all time, but to think that Avatar somehow saved the film industry is delusional.

really? definitely read somewhere that ticket sales were steadily declining, but, yeah, i could be wrong

Solo

Masaki_ said:
really? definitely read somewhere that ticket sales were steadily declining, but, yeah, i could be wrong

You are and you arent. Less people are going to the movies now (ticket sales, which you are talking about), but prices are such that more money is being made each year despite the drop (BO revenue, which the other poster is talking about).

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
YYZ said:
You guys need to calm down about me. Sure, I looked I good at the Oscars, but everyone does to some extent.

bigelow-2.jpg

Still, you do have to all admit that I still look way better than that ghostly hag, Suzy Amis, that Jimmy is married to these days, and who, while 10 years younger than me, looks at LEAST 10 years older than me.

Suzy-Amis-plastic-surgery.jpg

tekumseh said:
Still, you do have to all admit that I still look way better than that ghostly hag, Suzy Amis, that Jimmy is married to these days, and who, while 10 years younger than me, looks at LEAST 10 years older than me.
Jimmy seems to have a thing for rather masculine-looking women.

e-gall-lindahamilton-twins.jpg

I predict he'll leave Suzy Amis for Michelle Rodriguez.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Fucking :lol all the circle jerking going on at the Oscars.

Cringe worthy to say the least. It's not like these people save lives or anything.

Man. Bigelow directed one of the very best Best Picture recipients of the past decade, became the first woman to ever win Best Director, yet her biggest accomplishment in GAF's eyes is being fuckable at 58. :|

Tobor

Jibril said:
Fucking :lol all the circle jerking going on at the Oscars.

Cringe worthy to say the least. It's not like these people save lives or anything.
Let he who does not jerk cast stones.

creativity said:
Man. Bigelow directed one of the very best Best Picture recipients of the past decade, became the first woman to ever win Best Director, yet her biggest accomplishment in GAF's eyes is being fuckable at 58. :|

neogaf dude, etc

JGS

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
I think I just had about enough of these Avatards, I guess I cannot expect anything more from the GAF crowd, since I am sure most of the whiners and cry babies bitching in this thread are gamers first , then movie lovers, and when I say gamers, I assume graphic whores ...anyway the point is, there shouldn't be this many people crying b/c Abadahh didn't win.

[groan]

I've seen little hate from the Avatar crowd except over sound which they are probably correct in. I guess most media, critics, & guilds are videogame players too since it has been consistently in high regard from these groups as well.

Also, many in the Avatar crowd seem to enjoy the other movies. I'll have to reread the thread I guess.

gdt5016 said:
Anywho, ratings up a massive 20% this year. The Academy must be happy with their 10 nominees decision. They might do that again this year :/.

It was destined to be higher than last year. Anytime a blockbuster is on the ballot, the ratings are higher. Plus, there was the possibility of a first time female director winning. Prescious brought in minorities. Blind Side, Up, & D9 sealed the deal.

No Country For Old Men & There Will Be Blood doomed Oscar last year by comparision.

Tobor

JGS said:
[groan]

I've seen little hate from the Avatar crowd except over sound which they are probably correct in. I guess most media, critics, & guilds are videogame players too since it has been consistently in high regard from these groups as well.

Also, many in the Avatar crowd seem to enjoy the other movies. I'll have to reread the thread I guess.

It was destined to be higher than last year. Anytime a blockbuster is on the ballot, the ratings are higher. Plus, there was the possibility of a first time female director winning. Prescious brought in minorities. Blind Side, Up, & D9 sealed the deal.

No Country For Old Men & There Will Be Blood doomed Oscar last year by comparision.
:lol no country for old men was two years ago. The ratings were up last year.

bud

tekumseh said:

Suzy-Amis-plastic-surgery.jpg

does that mean you're 58? sir, you might just be the oldest gaffer.

AniHawk said:
Man Logorama is shit.

You have to admit it was at least slightly impressive, in the way they used all the different logos. I agree that Oscars aren't won on how much stuff you can cram on screen though- Avatar proved that (lolololol sorry couldn't resist).

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
JGS said:
[groan]

I've seen little hate from the Avatar crowd

This is not intended to disprove your previous statements, just to point out the fanatics opinion on the other films.

QQ

creativity said:

It brings hope to the future of the everyman.

Ceres said:
No signatures is pretty much my favorite thing about gaf.

9MB animated signatures??? Really????

It's like the next evolution of the furries.

Ceres

Banned
Spider from Mars said:
This is not intended to disprove your previous statements, just to point out the fanatics opinion on the other films.

QQ

No signatures is pretty much my favorite thing about gaf.

9MB animated signatures??? Really????

Spider from Mars said:

QQ
I'm getting a kick out of the hilariously awful sigs on that forum. :lol

sigpic1916_2.gif

sigpic2789_6.gif

sigpic6_1.gif

ab2gkg.png

in-love.png
in-love.png
in-love.png

keye.png

sigpic1304_14.gif

“We all know inter-species romance is weird.”-Tim Burton

AniHawk said:
Man Logorama is shit.

Glad you agree. Its just a visual gag (and the visuals are pretty poor at that, the art style is blegh) tiredly stretched across some rubbish action story, and when you look at the other nominations like a great Wallace & Gromit outing, its certainly a head scratcher.

AniHawk

SecretBonusPoint said:
Glad you agree. Its just a visual gag (and the visuals are pretty poor at that, the art style is blegh) tiredly stretched across some rubbish action story, and when you look at the other nominations like a great Wallace & Gromit outing, its certainly a head scratcher.
Don't forget the awful VA.

Logorama's win was the only one where I wanted to yell at the TV.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I enjoyed Avatar and seen it twice, but I'm glad it didn't win in many of the categories..especially in music (James Horner is a hack who recycles his work constantly in films) and sound was completely lackluster (cliched sounds..howling dino dogs?). I commend Cameron's efforts in revolutionizing CG acting and characters..especially the techniques he employed but District 9 had much more believable CG.

Jeff Bridges and Christoph Waltz definitely deserved their awards though.

I have mixed feelings about The Hurt Locker, I really liked the movie and watched it early last year before the hype and never thought it was very Best Picture worthy.

Big thumbs up to Michael Giacchino though, definitely one of those most gifted composers in the industry right now...been a huge fan since his Medal of Honor soundtracks and he had absolutely no competition especially with his Star Trek and Up work that year.

Giacchino's Medal of Honor OST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKa0oq6EvsQ

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Teh Hamburglar said:
Did I miss the Avatar melt down ?
There was none. In all honesty, the better film won. But the best film didn't. ( IB <3)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hellion said:
No one will remember The Hurt Locker after last night. I liked the movie, but it is highly OVERRATED.

No one remembers avatar as it is, all they remember is the effects.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Speculator said:
Big thumbs up to Michael Giacchino though, definitely one of those most gifted composers in the industry right now...been a huge fan since his Medal of Honor soundtracks and he had absolutely no competition especially with his Star Trek and Up work that year.

Giacchino's Medal of Honor OST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKa0oq6EvsQ

Yeah, Giacchino is GAF's baby right now. Between Gaming sides love for Medal of Honor/Call of Duty to OT's love for Lost/Pixar Films, in the words of Mugato: "he's so hot right now"/

EricHasNoPull said:
I think I just had about enough of these Avatards, I guess I cannot expect anything more from the GAF crowd, since I am sure most of the whiners and cry babies bitching in this thread are gamers first , then movie lovers, and when I say gamers, I assume graphic whores ...anyway the point is, there shouldn't be this many people crying b/c Abadahh didn't win.

JGS said:
[groan]

Yes you are right, most media, critics, & guilds did praise Avatar, and I bet you none of those media, critics, & guilds contributed to this thread with their whining and bitching about Avatar losing to The Hurt Locker. Now if you didn't chose to read my words with your prejudice love and defense for Avatar, I wouldn't need to explain to you the above two sentences do I ?

Instead you just chose to take my words out of context and blow it out of proportions, I clearly made comments about most GAFers commenting on this very particular thread being gamers more than people who understand what makes a great film. I am not sure why you felt the need to reassure me about Avatar's critical/commercial success outside these forums?? you should put aside your negative emotions and at least make an effort to read something without pre-judging it first, and answer it wisely.

Which takes me back to my point of I am tired of these (mostly gaming) Avatards in this thread, just blindingly following a box office hit like sheep because in many words or less, it is a movie with "great graphics"

( I can tell you now that The Hurt Locker did much better critically than Avatar, but unlike you I don't want to get off topic)

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Jibril said:
There was none. In all honesty, the better film won. But the best film didn't. ( IB <3)

IF the entirety of IB had been up to the Farmhouse/Basement Bar standards, it would have won...easily.

Sadly, it was not.

I also think it's marketing hurt the film with the academy (and generally), because if you saw the previews, and went in expecting anything like what you were shown, you came out relatively disappointed because the primary story arc had, for the most part, only a tangental connection to the way it was previewed....

JGS

Banned
otake said:
No one remembers avatar as it is, all they remember is the effects.

Even if this were true (It isn't), at least it will have that. Avatar will be immortalized just for the sheer number of DVD releases that cath up to the tech it uses!

The Hurt Locker was only known during to the awards season and as great as it is, it will be forgotten before the Iraq War is over. It's only shot will be achieving cult status which there is no reason to think it will get.

It was a great film, probably deserved the Oscar, but will also be relegated to the Ordinary People, Crash, & (I hate to say this because I loved this movie) Slumdog side of Oscar winning immortality.

JGS

Banned
Tobor said:
:lol no country for old men was two years ago. The ratings were up last year.

:lol

I know! I remembered while I was at lunch! I was like, somethings not quite right with my data. I'll leave it alone to denote my shame!:lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
JGS said:
Even if this were true (It isn't), at least it will have that. Avatar will be immortalized just for the sheer number of DVD releases that cath up to the tech it uses!

The Hurt Locker was only known during to the awards season and as great as it is, it will be forgotten before the Iraq War is over. It's only shot will be achieving cult status which there is no reason to think it will get.

It was a great film, probably deserved the Oscar, but will also be relegated to the Ordinary People, Crash, & (I hate to say this because I loved this movie) Slumdog side of Oscar winning immortality.

In 6 months you should re-read your post and this one. Perhaps then you will see how naive it reads. The hurt locker will be forgotten as well. 90% of movies are forgotten within six months. We don't get Forest Gump level movies every year and neither hurt locker or avatar are remotely close to it. What I find particularly funny about your post is that I read similar post about Star Wars episode 1 and the tech it used.

Ceres

Banned
otake said:
In 6 months you should re-read your post and this one. Perhaps then you will see how naive it reads. The hurt locker will be forgotten as well. 90% of movies are forgotten within six months. We don't get Forest Gump level movies every year and neither hurt locker or avatar are remotely close to it. What I find particularly funny about your post is that I read similar post about Star Wars episode 1 and the tech it used.

Shawshank was robbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom