• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

This game is so fucking awesome.

I wish it would never end.

Clutch plays being made on both ends.

Kentucky looks really good though.

SamuraiX-

sooperkool said:
Young (and playing like it), poorly coached, no good halfcourt offense, poor free throw percentage... need I go on?

You could argue this shit for half the teams still left in this tournament, even some of the favorites.

SamuraiX- said:
You could argue this shit for half the teams still left in this tournament, even some of the favorites.

Really, which ones? I'm curious to know which ones are as flawed as the Cats or do you want to just wait until next week when they are out of the tourney to talk about it?

iamblades

sooperkool said:
Young (and playing like it), poorly coached, no good halfcourt offense, poor free throw percentage... need I go on?

Halfcourt offense and free throw shooting are actually two of the things UK is best at.

The whole 'kentucky likes to get up and down and score in transition because they suck in the halfcourt' ignores the fact that this years team is completely different than last years. Every time I hear it I just assume that whoever said it hasn't watched many UK games this year.

This team plays best in grind it out halfcourt games. Being young, they sometimes get anxious and try to play to fast, but its not because they can't play halfcourt.

I feel really good about this team if everyone shows up. These first two games we've won with half our players playing well. If everyone shows up for the same game, they are unstoppable.

Kalnos

Banned
Kentucky ends 17-24 from the line, and usually shoots just as good if not better than that this season from the line.

ESPN and forum goers - UK can't shoot free throws, derp.

Seth C

sooperkool said:

We CRUSHED Florida playing a GOOD halfcourt offense. As a team we shoot over 71% from the free throw line. We missed a few this game, yes. Unless you know what you're talking about though just flap your lips amongst morons so you won't be called for it.

For the season we shoot free throws better than Kansas, Pitt, Ohio State, Florida...how many teams do you want me to list? I've got about 250 of them here.

Seth C said:
We CRUSHED Florida playing a GOOD halfcourt offense. As a team we shoot over 71% from the free throw line. We missed a few this game, yes. Unless you know what you're talking about though just flap your lips amongst morons so you won't be called for it.

For the season we shoot free throws better than Kansas, Pitt, Ohio State, Florida...how many teams do you want me to list? I've got about 250 of them here.

I assume you have more to your argument than we beat Florida and shoot 71% plus from ft? C'mon, you know the weakness of this team as much as I do. Age these kids up and give them a real coach and they might win a MNC

Seth C

Ohio State, George Mason, West Virginia, Marquette, Syracuse, Washington, North Carolina, Michigan, Texas, Cincinnati, Temple, San Diego State, Florida, UCLA, Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Morehead State, Richmond, Kansas.

The above is a list of all the teams entering today's games that shoot free throws WORSE than Kentucky. For those counting, that would be 20 teams. There were also two teams tied with Kentucky, which means only 9 teams that shoot free throws better than Kentucky, and due to bracketing Kentucky can only face 2 of them, at most.

sooperkool said:
I assume you have more to your argument than we beat Florida and shoot 71% plus from ft? C'mon, you know the weakness of this team as much as I do. Age these kids up and give them a real coach and they might win a MNC

I assume you have more to your argument than "statistics lie, and I said so"? Actually, I don't assume that. You've made the limits of your argument quite clear already. Haha.

Kalnos

Banned
Seth C said:
The above is a list of all the teams entering today's games that shoot free throws WORSE than Kentucky. For those counting, that would be 20 teams. There were also two teams tied with Kentucky, which means only 9 teams that shoot free throws better than Kentucky, and due to bracketing Kentucky can only face 2 of them, at most.

It has nothing to do with facts, it's left over from Cal's runner-up team at Memphis that couldn't shoot free throws. Everyone just sees a Cal team, immediately assumes bad free throw shooting.

Pollux

Kalnos said:
It has nothing to do with facts, it's left over from Cal's runner-up team at Memphis that couldn't shoot free throws. Everyone just sees a Cal team, immediately assumes bad free throw shooting.

Yep.

I'm glad Kentucky won.

Playing Huggie Bear always makes me nervous. Cal? Not so much.

That said, we still need to get past Mason. I must not get ahead of myself.

iamblades

sooperkool said:

This team has weaknesses for sure, consistency under pressure being the main one, but if you bring up bullshit stereotypes about hyperathletic one and dones that play undisciplined streetball that weren't even that accurate last year as an argument against this year's team and coach cal in general, than I must assume you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

For the most part this team has won by playing disciplined, highly patient half court basketball combined with relentless defense for the whole possession. This is not the fast paced transition scoring team people say it is.

You can make the argument that recruiting one and dones is not the best way to win a national title, and I may agree, but to use that as a basis for criticizing this team just shows you haven't paid attention.

Seth C

Kalnos said:

You and I are well aware of that. I'm just hoping to help others shed their own ignorance. Unfortunately I think the primary offender is a lost cause. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom