• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Seth C said:
You and I are well aware of that. I'm just hoping to help others shed their own ignorance. Unfortunately I think the primary offender is a lost cause. ;)

The problem is that people hate Cal, so no matter what they're still gonna bash him for free throws.

Seth C. are you the same Seth C from over on catspause?

pxleyes

Banned
sooperkool said:
I assume you have more to your argument than we beat Florida and shoot 71% plus from ft? C'mon, you know the weakness of this team as much as I do. Age these kids up and give them a real coach and they might win a MNC
MNC is reserved for football. Basketball crowns a true NC each and every year.

Seth C said:
Ohio State, George Mason, West Virginia, Marquette, Syracuse, Washington, North Carolina, Michigan, Texas, Cincinnati, Temple, San Diego State, Florida, UCLA, Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Morehead State, Richmond, Kansas.

The above is a list of all the teams entering today's games that shoot free throws WORSE than Kentucky. For those counting, that would be 20 teams. There were also two teams tied with Kentucky, which means only 9 teams that shoot free throws better than Kentucky, and due to bracketing Kentucky can only face 2 of them, at most.

I assume you have more to your argument than "statistics lie, and I said so"? Actually, I don't assume that. You've made the limits of your argument quite clear already. Haha.

And again, its... We shoot free throws pretty good and nothing else. Here is my argument again for you. The team is young (nothing they can do about that but it is important), Cal is a terrible coach that relies too much on athletic ability to carry the day, they arent a great free throw shooting team because no I'm not impressed by 71% but then again these days thats a good percentage. They have an undefined half court offense that breaks down too easily, thats why when they 're offensive rebounding (a product of size and athletic ability) is low they suffer. Do I expect them to beat smaller, less complete teams... yeah but not much else which is why I don't have them advancing any farther.

Are they a good team sure, they wonm the SEC for whatever thats worth but they could be better... well if could coach worth a damn or recruit a player that could stay longer than a year.

Maybe they'd be better if Cal could find another small school coach with a "tricky" offense to borrow from. Oh and additionally...sure the plan is always to be patient and win and it works like I said when thy have the better horses but... the coaches job is to give them a way t win when they arent obviously better and Cal cannot simply do that.

Pollux

PotatoeMasher said:
I remember I had the same epiphany back a few years ago. Probably when Tubby was still "coaching".

It wasn't Tubby's coaching that bothered me, it was his appalling lack of recruiting.

iamblades

sooperkool said:
And again, its... We shoot free throws pretty good and nothing else. Here is my argument again for you. The team is young (nothing they can do about that but it is important), Cal is a terrible coach that relies too much on athletic ability to carry the day, they arent a great free throw shooting team because no I'm not impressed by 71% but then again these days thats a good percentage. They have an undefined half court offense that breaks down too easily, thats why when they 're offensive rebounding (a product of size and athletic ability) is low they suffer. Do I expect them to beat smaller, less complete teams... yeah but not much else which is why I don't have them advancing any farther.

Are they a good team sure, they wonm the SEC for whatever thats worth but they could be better... well if could coach worth a damn or recruit a player that could stay longer than a year.

Maybe they'd be better if Cal could find another small school coach with a "tricky" offense to borrow from. Oh and additionally...sure the plan is always to be patient and win and it works like I said when thy have the better horses but... the coaches job is to give them a way t win when they arent obviously better and Cal cannot simply do that.

Do you feel the same way about every motion offense, or simply the one Cal uses?

The vast majority of basketball teams on all levels these days use variants of motion offense.

jjasper

The free throw shooting thing at Memphis was from a time when cal basically didn't have anyone that could shoot and didn't work on shooting at all. He pretty much admittdd to the local media that he gave up working on it. He just had his teams working on driving nonstop and ditched the passing out to a 3 point shooter aspect of the dribble drive. That runner up had to be the best worst shooting team in history.

iamblades said:
Do you feel the same way about every motion offense, or simply the one Cal uses?

The vast majority of basketball teams on all levels these days use variants of motion offense.

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of the motion offense as a sole solution. I think some coaches are lazy and it allows them to not coach as much. I would give Cal a lot more respect if he was better at some aspect of coaching other than recruiting.

jakncoke

Banned
ffs stupid ass ncaa.com why can't you keep up with live feed. stop falling behind

Edit: lol combined 13/22 shooting

Edit2: did Lee just Jordan that dude?

iamblades

sooperkool said:
Truthfully, I'm not a fan of the motion offense as a sole solution. I think some coaches are lazy and it allows them to not coach as much. I would give Cal a lot more respect if he was better at some aspect of coaching other than recruiting.

To me he's the best in the business at what may be the most important part of coaching, getting players to buy into the system and give up personal stats for the team benefit. The fact that he recruits lots of one and dones just makes that fact even more impressive.

He doesn't just get them to buy in on the offensive end either, he gets them to play hard man to man defense. He isn't that great at working in any zone, I'll give you that, but I'm not a huge fan of zone most of the time anyway.

People criticize him a lot for not calling timeouts and drawing up plays in key situations, but he did a lot down the stretch and in the SEC tournaments, and was almost 100% in those situation

He may not be the absolute greatest in game coach in the world, but the people who act like all he does is get good players and roll the ball out have no clue what they are talking about.

Got tied up with school and work all day yesterday, so I couldn't watch any of the games/be here to post about them! So sad. I went 12-4 with my picks.

1 for 1 so far today. Rooting for Florida (of course.)

Both UCLA and Florida draining shots left and right.

Surely Kentucky fans can understand where others are coming from? After all these are some of the same kinds of things they would spew about Cal before he got hired by UK. Then he became "our guy".

Outdoor Miner said:
Surely Kentucky fans can understand where others are coming from? After all these are some of the same kinds of things they would spew about Cal before he got hired by UK. Then he became "our guy".

Woah, what the hell is going on next to your "Member" tag?

iamblades

Outdoor Miner said:

I personally had no real opinion of him prior to him coming here.

The last time Uk played one of his teams was way back in 96 iirc, so I had no real opinion about how he coached, was just impressed by his results.

There were a bunch of people saying he was dirty when tubby left so we shouldn't hire him, but there was a large percentage of people who wanted him to come here back then. And that has nothing to do with how he coaches anyway.

iamblades

Goddamn that irish spring commercial on the MMOD stream is normalized at like +10 dB, keeps blowing my eardrums out everytime it comes on.

SyNapSe said:
The US flag from World cup time?

I assumed it was supposed to be a flag, but it shows up as this:

zl3p21.jpg

Florida shooting well, but they can't get a fucking rebound to save their life. Still winning by 2, at least.

Pollux

Outdoor Miner said:

Nah we get it but as you said he's "our guy"...just ask Louisville fans about Pitino

zmoney said:

Nah we get it but as you said he's "our guy"...just ask Louisville fans about Pitino
except only UK fans really gave a shit about the Sypher case, I doubt any non UK GAF fan really gave a shit

Cal on the other hand represents what every college basketball fan should hate

cheating the game of basketball ≠ cheating on your wife that you've been separated from for nearly a decade

iamblades

GodfatherX said:
except only UK fans really gave a shit about the Sypher case, I doubt any non UK GAF fan really gave a shit

Cal on the other hand represents what every college basketball fan should hate

cheating the game of basketball ≠ cheating on your wife that you've been separated from for nearly a decade

Only one of the two have ncaa violations on their record, and it isn't Cal.

iamblades said:
Only one of the two have ncaa violations on their record, and it isn't Cal.
actually hope Cal gets UK to the final four before the hammer comes down, 1 coach with 3 different schools in the final four, 1 with 3 teams with vacated final fours

UK fans are fucking delusional, and thats the only thing the current success has shown the nation, fuck your own media coach cal dick sucker Matt Jones blasted the shit out of cal when his name come up during the Billy G hire

nobody on this or any other forum thinks Cal is clean other then UK fans...not sure if it's ignorance, hypocrisy or delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom