• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brettison said:
Hate on me if you will basketballs fans, but I want to like the tourny yet believe it's over hyped. Realistically these days there are about 10 schools with elite head coaches that coach well year in and year out (minus a random bad year here and there), get a lot of the recruits, and legitly have a chance to win it all. Everyone else is just playing to make the sweet 16 and maybe have a random break out year every few years and make the big 8 or final 4. They still won't win it all though.

The 1st 2 weeks of the tourny are supposedly zomg amazing with awesome moments and a joy to watch, but it's just a charade that always ends when you get to crunch time and the final 8 teams.

Butler was 2 inches away from winning a national championship last year. What more do you want?

Fjordson

Brettison said:
Hate on me if you will basketballs fans, but I want to like the tourny yet believe it's over hyped. Realistically these days there are about 10 schools with elite head coaches that coach well year in and year out (minus a random bad year here and there), get a lot of the recruits, and legitly have a chance to win it all. Everyone else is just playing to make the sweet 16 and maybe have a random break out year every few years and make the big 8 or final 4. They still won't win it all though.

The 1st 2 weeks of the tourny are supposedly zomg amazing with awesome moments and a joy to watch, but it's just a charade that always ends when you get to crunch time and the final 8 teams.
Some of that may be true, but it's so much better than the methods certain other sports use to determine a champion.

You're always going to have big schools and power conferences. Just how college sports are these days. But I still think basketball gives those lesser known schools a decent chance. Hell, Butler came within a basket of beating one of the biggest schools in the nation last year for the title.

Talon

Brettison said:

Jaded Georgia Tech fan?

You should know as well as anyone that things can break right any given year and a non-power team can make a run. Not to mention this is a curious as hell thing to say considering a tiny school outside of Indianapolis was a couple inches from winning the whole thing last year.

There are more great coaches than great teams in any given year, but that's a function of talent.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
SyNapSe said:
Not even sure what your point is(?). Do you think a 32 team tourney in football would be great or would the top teams still mostly win, ignoring injuries, etc?

No it would be the same shit in football (though the talent level for football is more spread out in that you have wayyyy more schools with 1st round talent), and the reason why if we go to a playoff it should be top 8.

Talon

BertramCooper said:
So are all of the ESPN pundits going to own up to being wrong about VCU?

Naah, they'll just act like it never happened.
This is silly. The point wasn't that VCU wasn't capable of winning games. The point was that VCU over the course of the season did not perform well enough to be deserving a berth in the tournament. Again, let me emphasize performance - the tournament committee's job is to select the 68 most deserving teams.

The fact that the Smart decided not to get the team together in case they would make the tournament speaks to that.

suaveric

Considering how poorly McCamey shot tonight, I'm surprised the Illini kept it as close as it was until those last few minutes. The Morris twins were just too much for their soft interior defense. Things should start turning around next year.

Talon

suaveric said:
Considering how poorly McCamey shot tonight, I'm surprised the Illini kept it as close as it was until those last few minutes. The Morris twins were just too much for their soft interior defense. Things should start turning around next year.
He's finally gone!
mike-tisdale-488.jpg

Talon- said:
This is silly. The point wasn't that VCU wasn't capable of winning games. The point was that VCU over the course of the season did not perform well enough to be deserving a berth in the tournament. Again, let me emphasize performance - the tournament committee's job is to select the 68 most deserving teams.

The fact that the Smart decided not to get the team together in case they would make the tournament speaks to that.
It was the amount of bitching that bothered me. It was ridiculous and completely over-the-top, in true ESPN fashion.

Talon

BertramCooper said:
It was the amount of bitching that bothered me. It was ridiculous and completely over-the-top, in true ESPN fashion.
On one hand, I agree 'cause how much can we differentiate between severely flawed and mediocre teams on the bubble?

On the other hand, the committee was wildly inconsistent with their selections of those last few teams as compared to prior years.

Also, Jay Bilas and Baldy McShoutshout live to complain on Selection Sunday.

Vanillalite

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Butler was 2 inches away from winning a national championship last year. What more do you want?

2 inches but they didn't win...

Again if you aren't like one of 10 schools (granted the 10 schools change slightly over the years as the big time coaches shift or retire) you need not apply to actually win... and I'm not one to say zomg we made the final 4 if my team doesn't come home with the hardware...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Brettison said:
No it would be the same shit in football (though the talent level for football is more spread out in that you have wayyyy more schools with 1st round talent), and the reason why if we go to a playoff it should be top 8.

They talent differential between say the top 5-8 football teams vs the bottom part of the top 25 is a pretty wide chasm, thats because the NFL hasn't fucked the talent pool the way the NBA has. There would be no point to do more than the top 8 teams because its not likely any of the lower teams would have a chance. Pretty much only the 16 seeds are SOL in being a factor and we've had 6th seeds win the dance before.

jjasper

BertramCooper said:

I never really understood the bitching about VCU. Sure they lost to UT so they must have been garbage but I thought they were decent enough to be 1 of the top 38 or however many at large teams since once you get down in the 30-40 range everyone has at least 1 thing you can point to and say they shouldn't be in. UAB on the other hand was a complete joke to be included and made no sense.

Talon- said:
On one hand, I agree 'cause how much can we differentiate between severely flawed and mediocre teams on the bubble?

On the other hand, the committee was wildly inconsistent with their selections of those last few teams as compared to prior years.

Also, Jay Bilas and Baldy McShoutshout live to complain on Selection Sunday.
Baldy McShoutshout is just pissed that Duke can't fill up all 68 spots on the bracket.

Vanillalite

truly101 said:
They talent differential between say the top 5-8 football teams vs the bottom part of the top 25 is a pretty wide chasm, thats because the NFL hasn't fucked the talent pool the way the NBA has. There would be no point to do more than the top 8 teams because its not likely any of the lower teams would have a chance. Pretty much only the 16 seeds are SOL in being a factor and we've had 6th seeds win the dance before.

I'm surprised as a Duke fan you aren't on my side. If you aren't one of the elite 10 or so with a big time coach and recruits like a Duke or a UConn or a Kansas you need not apply to actually win the damn thing. I could give a fuck about making the final 4 too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BertramCooper said:
Baldy McShoutshout is just pissed that Duke can't fill up all 68 spots on the bracket.

Do people magically go deaf when Baldy McShoutShout felates UK, UNC, Michigan State, the entire Big East, or since nobody hates them like Duke, nobody cares? He's got a major boner for your boys you know

Tapiozona

Banned
Brettison said:

Again if you aren't like one of 10 schools (granted the 10 schools change slightly over the years as the big time coaches shift or retire) you need not apply to actually win... and I'm not one to say zomg we made the final 4 if my team doesn't come home with the hardware...

Still don't understand your point. Are you trying to compare basketball to...? Are you here to offer alternatives? Or are you here to just troll? Yes, the 10 best schools will win 99 times out of 100. We realize that and it does nothing to deter us from watching it. I find as much enjoyment watching any of those 10 schools lose, as I do hoping my team will win. It's a win/win.

Talon

Brettison said:

This is horseshit. Final Four teams over the past 5 seasons:

2010: Michigan State, Butler, West Virginia, Duke
2009: Michigan State, Connecticut, Villanova, North Carolina
2008: North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis, UCLA
2007: Georgetown, Ohio State, Florida, UCLA
2006: LSU, UCLA, George Mason, Florida

Coaches in the tournament this year with Final Four appearances in the 2000s: Krzyzewski, Williams, Izzo, Pitino, Boeheim, Calhoun, Donovan, Howland, Calipari*, Huggins, Barnes, Matta, Self, Wright, and Stevens.

*Vacated, son.
truly101 said:
Do people magically go deaf when Baldy McShoutShout felates UK, UNC, Michigan State, the entire Big East, or since nobody hates them like Duke, nobody cares? He's got a major boner for your boys you know
We all go deaf listening to Baldy McShoutShout.

jjasper

truly101 said:
Do people magically go deaf when Baldy McShoutShout felates UK, UNC, the entire Big East, or since nobody hates them like Duke, nobody cares? He's got a major boner for your boys you know

No his pandering to Cal is terrible. His defending Cal during the Rose scandal was comical.

truly101 said:
Don't worry, I'm not having a go at Duke.

He's been blowing OSU all season, too.

Brettison said:
I'm surprised as a Duke fan you aren't on my side. If you aren't one of the elite 10 or so with a big time coach and recruits like a Duke or a UConn or a Kansas you need not apply to actually win the damn thing. I could give a fuck about making the final 4 too.

So because the little guys have gotten close but haven't really won it before they should just stop trying? Do you like sports?

Vanillalite

Tapiozona said:
Still don't understand your point. Are you trying to compare basketball to...? Are you here to offer alternatives? Or are you here to just troll? Yes, the 10 best schools will win 99 times out of 100. We realize that and it does nothing to deter us from watching it. I find as much enjoyment watching any of those 10 schools lose, as I do hoping my team will win. It's a win/win.

For some reason I can't get over that hump. I know it eventually gets down to sweet 16 and big 8 so you weed out a lot of the teams, but I feel like I'm not invested in the tourny by this point so it's hard for me to jump in. Where as if they just started at that point I'd be all in to watching this shit. I'll fully admit that part is a personal thing.

On the other hand I've heard so many people say this is the greatest thing in sports over the past few weeks that shit gets to me. (ESPN I'm looking at you!)

DJ_Tet

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
So who's most likely to win runner-up?

because Ohio State has this shit locked down.

Gotta be Kansas. They have two double digit seeds waiting before the Final Four, where they will face a highly overseeded 2 Florida, a weak-away from home 4 Wisconsin, an 8 Butler or a 3 BYU down one of their best players.

Things definitely have fallen into place for Kansas to play on Monday night. The other side of the bracket is a lot more competitive at this point.

*whew @ dook* Hope a week of practice helps, they are going to need it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
His morally indignant tone when defending laughable positions is incredible.
But Cal is a good pisan, right? Most people do not know but K asked him to stop talking about Duke when Duke is in no way involved in the game he's calling. Vitales has admitted this and he refuses. What can we do?

OK, so let me get one thing straight.

11 Big East teams in the tournament. Only 2 are making the sweet 16? And they're only making it because they got to play other Big East teams in the round of 32?

Should we, perhaps, vacate those wins as well?

Watch UConn win the whole thing

Talon

truly101 said:
But Cal is a good pisan, right? Most people do not know but K asked him to stop talking about Duke when Duke is in no way involved in the game he's calling. Vitales has admitted this and he refuses. What can we do?
That must have been a hilarious conversation.

Coach K: "Dick, can you please stop talking about our school. It's embarrassing and creepy."
McShoutShout: "YOU'RE AWESOME, BABY!!!"
Coach K: "..."

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
get at me when the SEC doesnt have a sweet 16 team

So how did that prediction work out for you? And the best part is, the only Big East teams to make the Sweet 16 got there by playing other Big East teams.

As of tonight the Big East is 9-9, putting them at the 10th best winning percentage in the tournament this season. Of those 9 wins, 6 were against teams seeded 11 or worse and 2 were against other Big East teams. Next season the media will again spend the year telling us how amazing they are from top to bottom and maybe, just maybe, all 16 teams will make the tournament.

Bowser

truly101 said:
The weak ACC has now moved 75% of its NCAA tourney teams to the Sweet 16. Lulz at the Big Least

Yeah, I would have loved to see Dook lose (and you UNC), but it's pretty sick that we have more teams in the Sweet 16 then the Big East does :jakncoke

DJ_Tet

Banned
Seth C said:
And the best part is, the only Big East teams to make the Sweet 16 got there by playing other Big East teams.

Favorite stat of 2011 NCAA Tournament so far.

edit: Also lol @ Kenny and Charles calling it the Big Least and the Little East to Pitino's face as he said 'Today they will make a move'

Kenny and Charles =

ktK2z.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Randolph Freelander said:
And whoa whoa whoa, Kansas is looking at a 10, 11, and 12 in their regional?

Which one of them keeps the Jayhawks out of the Final Four?

If TOSU gets bounced from the tourney before playing KU, and KU wins the whole thing, I wonder how many people will claim they had a cakewalk to the championship?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
Yeah, I would have loved to see Dook lose (and you UNC), but it's pretty sick that we have more teams in the Sweet 16 then the Big East does :jakncoke

Arizona, Marquette and VCU are winnable games for Duke, the Holes and the Noles so having all 3 go to the Elite 8 is not out of the question.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Barkley called the Big East the most overrated conference before Syracuse (admittedly to another BE team at least) and ND went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom