• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Hudson

DJ_Tet said:
Gotta be Kansas. They have two double digit seeds waiting before the Final Four, where they will face a highly overseeded 2 Florida, a weak-away from home 4 Wisconsin, an 8 Butler or a 3 BYU down one of their best players.

Things definitely have fallen into place for Kansas to play on Monday night. The other side of the bracket is a lot more competitive at this point.

*whew @ dook* Hope a week of practice helps, they are going to need it.

Nail on the head. I am an Ohio State fan and firmly believe that they are the best team in the nation. However, I would make Kansas the favorite (to win the whole thing) at this point due to their favorable remaining path. Simply put, they outmatch every team remaining on their side of the bracket, and its really not even that close in my opinion.

But I do not in any way mean this as a complaint. I absolutely cannot fucking wait for Ohio State - Kentucky on Friday. I would love to see Ohio State play Kentucky - North Carolina - Duke - Kansas in that order. It would be a hell of a feat to pull that off, albeit very difficult.

Talon

Chuck is right. Big East has the best coaches. It used to be the ACC five or so years ago, but most conferences can only tout 2 or 3 great coaches (Izzo, Matta for the Big Ten, Cal and Donovan for the SEC, Howland and Miller for the Pac-10, K and Silly Roy for the ACC to name a few).

They just don't have the dominant players this year. Kansas has the Morris twins and a bevy of guards to throw out there. Ohio State has experience and a presence down low - similar to the '09 UNC team in terms of having pieces at every position. Pitt, Notre Dame, and Syracuse in varying degrees didn't have a sort of player that you fear.

At any rate, it's hard to take these things in a vacuum when Pitt lost in the fashion it did. I don't think Notre Dame was ever that good. Syracuse losing Marquette shocked me, but that may be because Buzz Williams looks like a busboy.

Louisville should be kept out of this discussion. Hard to win when your best player gets hurt halfway through the second half in a tight game.

Seth C

Another fun stat.

SEC had 2 teams seeded 1-4 and both made the Sweet 16.
ACC had 2 teams seeded 1-4 and both made the Sweet 16.
Mountain West had 2 teams seeded 1-4 and both made the Sweet 16.
Big Ten had 3 teams seeded 1-4 and 2 made the Sweet 16.
Big 12 had 2 teams seeded 1-4 and 1 made the Sweet 16.
Big East had a record 5 teams seeded 1-4 and only 1 of them could make the Sweet 16.

So if you're looking at the teams in the Sweet 16 and wondering why so many double digit seeds made it this year? It's probably because so many Big East teams had top seeds.

Talon

Seth C said:
So if you're looking at the teams in the Sweet 16 and wondering why so many double digit seeds made it this year? It's probably because so many Big East teams had top seeds.
Nope. Reason there are so many double digit seeds is 'cause there was a big gap between the top few teams and the rest of the field.

It's become clear to me that Ohio State and Kansas are the two best teams in the country. Duke is right there, but I can't get those two games where the Plumlees became revolving doors out of my mind.

Talon- said:
Chuck is right. Big East has the best coaches. It used to be the ACC five or so years ago, but most conferences can only tout 2 or 3 great coaches (Izzo, Matta for the Big Ten, Cal and Donovan for the SEC, Howland and Miller for the Pac-10, K and Silly Roy for the ACC to name a few).

They just don't have the dominant players this year. Kansas has the Morris twins and a bevy of guards to throw out there. Ohio State has experience and a presence down low - similar to the '09 UNC team in terms of having pieces at every position. Pitt, Notre Dame, and Syracuse in varying degrees didn't have a sort of player that you fear.

At any rate, it's hard to take these things in a vacuum when Pitt lost in the fashion it did. I don't think Notre Dame was ever that good. Syracuse losing Marquette shocked me, but that may be because Buzz Williams looks like a busboy.

Louisville should be kept out of this discussion. Hard to win when your best player gets hurt halfway through the second half in a tight game.

Definitely, outside of Kemba, there's not a single Big East player on anyone's draft board for this year's draft class which some people are calling the worst in a decade, there's not a ton of talent in the conference.

Proelite

Talon- said:
It's become clear to me that Ohio State and Kansas are the two best teams in the country. Duke is right there, but I can't get those two games where the Plumlees became revolving doors out of my mind.

Mason was focused on feeding the ball to Michigan in the first half. It was fortunate that we played through that.

3 ACC teams in the Sweet 16, leading the conferences. 1 Duke, 2 UNC... expected. And the team that had the most impressive performance to get there? 10 Florida State.

This is why they call it March Madness.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Definitely, outside of Kemba, there's not a single Big East player on anyone's draft board for this year's draft class which some people are calling the worst in a decade, there's not a ton of talent in the conference.

So in other words, the Big East is overrated. Got it.

I'm liking where we're at right now.

I think we'll take UK pretty handily, but obviously UNC could be a challenge.

I definitely wish we were in Kansas' spot right now.

jjasper

Randolph Freelander said:
3 ACC teams in the Sweet 16, leading the conferences. 1 Duke, 2 UNC... expected. And the team that had the most impressive performance to get there? 10 Florida State.

That is kind of unfair to Duke and UNC. They weren't lucky enough to play against a big east team.

I have shitty video of the Marq 3-point shot at the end of the game on my phone. Im going to upload it soon, i'll post, my friend was very sad on the drive home. But at least we won!

I'm trying to figure out how to get a ticket the OSU/UK game Friday.

The university is having a lottery at 10 a.m., but alumni aren't eligible (grumble).

And the prices on StubHub aren't too encouraging.

Bowser

BertramCooper said:

The university is having a lottery at 10 a.m., but alumni aren't eligible (grumble).

Yeah, want to get a ticket for UNC/Marquette since I live in New York now, but a nosebleed single ticket would cost me $300 from StubHub :|

BertramCooper said:

Just go down and get some from scalpers, I luckily had some connections that got me seats for todays game up in Cle. They werent the greatest but im not going to complain.

DarkWish

ErasureAcer said:
*high fives DarkWish*
Completely missed this before.

*high fives back*

I can't wait to go to class tomorrow (or rather, today), everyone is going to be talking about VCU in the Sweet 16. My roommate heard of some school sponsored bus trip to Texas and he's considering going but I'm not. Would be great, but I can't just drop my education for this. Can't wait for Friday, Florida is going down!

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Gil Brown and Brad Wanamaker were both on draft boards earlier in the season as second round picks. I don't know if they still are - I haven't bothered to look in a few months.

I could still see somebody taking Gil Brown because he is an athletic freak and can score from anywhere on the floor (or go 1 for 9 from anywhere on the floor). Wanamaker is probably headed to Europe now. He didn't do so much down the stretch.

Heh. I'm at 95 points max but currently in 17th place. I could still win the pick em but need VCU or some other underdog to win the championship.

LosDaddie

Banned
NCAA_Florida_State_Notre_Dame_Basketball.sff_62258_game.jpg

Poor guy just didn't know hit him. :jakncoke

Just swarming DEFENSE on display last night:

NCAA_Florida_State_Notre_Dame_Basketball.sff_62274_game.jpg

:jakncoke

NCAA_Florida_State_Notre_Dame_Basketball.sff_62256_game.jpg

ToxicAdam

I think that bracket is the standard quo. Most everyone's right side is fucked (unless they had Kansas winning out) and the left side has been pretty predictable.

Although, I doubt anyone had VCU/USC as far as you did.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BakedPigeon said:
So Zona/Duke...... I feel like lots of people and media arent giving Zona a chance even though they are clearly going to win it all.

Zona isn't going to win it all but they certainly can beat Duke. Was anyone impressed on how efficiently they choked away the game vs Michigan?

There are no easy games, no gimmes the rest of the way, for Duke anyway.

Tapiozona

Banned
truly101 said:
Zona isn't going to win it all but they certainly can beat Duke. Was anyone impressed on how efficiently they choked away the game vs Michigan?

There are no easy games, no gimmes the rest of the way, for Duke anyway.

Didn't Zona choke away the Texas game just as badly though? Duke is the superior team and it pains me to admit that.

So how much should I expect to pay for a seat for Friday night's games in Newark?

StubHub doesn't have anything for less than $245. Does that seem high? I have no experience buying NCAA postseason tickets.

I probably will just end up going down there and buying from scalpers.

Talon

My television wants to thank Chris Singleton and Florida State for knocking out future Toronto Raptors mascot Ben Hansbrough.

BertramCooper said:
So how much should I expect to pay for a seat for Friday night's games in Newark?

StubHub doesn't have anything for less than $245. Does that seem high? I have no experience buying NCAA postseason tickets.

I probably will just end up going down there and buying from scalpers.

That was about the average price for good seats in Cleveland this weekend. I would say that price sounds fair, might be able to get cheaper on scalpers on gameday. If you even want to go to sundays games your best bet is finding the fans of teams who lost.

bucknuticus said:
That was about the average price for good seats in Cleveland this weekend. I would say that price sounds fair, might be able to get cheaper on scalpers on gameday. If you even want to go to sundays games your best bet is finding the fans of teams who lost.
Yeah, I'm tempted to bite at $245, just for the peace of mind of actually having a ticket.

It wouldn't be a fantastic seat by any means (upper level, but a decent angle), but then again, it's the New York metro area, so everything is super expensive.

jakncoke

Banned
bill0527 said:
Oh Comcast...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p294/bill0527/calipari.png[IMG]

*classiest
*Matta

Brought to you by the slimiest cable company in the U.S.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was a banned meme now

SamuraiX-

Just saw the ending of the Butler vs. Pitt game again.

Nasir Robinson has got to be the dumbest motherfucker to ever step foot on a basketball court.

Jeez, man.

jjasper

Apparently Lawrence Frank really wants the job. Thinking about it I would be cool with it. He clearly is looking for a 3-4 year at most job before he can jump back to the NBA and we are in need of someone willing to come in with uncertainty in personal and NCAA sanctions. Any option is going to be a gamble might as well take one that has coached in the NBA and has been a college assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom