• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

HiResDes said:
Duh, Clifton born and raised.

Good to meet fellow cincinnatians on here...although born and raised outside florence but lived in mt. lookout from 6th grade on.

UK or OSU?

giga

bucknuticus said:
He's awesome Baby!

Screenshot2011-03-24at105939PM.png
Bahahaha. Last night was awesome.

Sir Pant

I'm in Cincy right now for 8 weeks, had some of this, amazing stuff.

Where else in town is good?

Went to bed before the end of the last two games, I love waking up and being pleasantly surprised.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Sir Pant said:
I'm in Cincy right now for 8 weeks, had some of this, amazing stuff.

Where else in town is good?

Went to bed before the end of the last two games, I love waking up and being pleasantly surprised.

i love this place. THE PRECINCT.

it's hard to express why it's so great, but suffice to say it's an old-world steakhouse in a renovated police station and the meat is unreal. it's kind of expensive though, so save it for a special occasion. steaks with sides start around 35 and go up from there. my favorite thing is the porterhouse which is like 44. the last time i went i spent about 120 for me and my date.

i've been really interested in checking out THE ROOKWOOD for a long time. the charcuterie + handlebar mustache aesthetic speaks to me, and i look at the menu and this torta cubana (fried pork loin, local ham, pickles, swiss, spicy aioli) brings out something primal inside.

SyNapSe

A reporter told Stevens some people think he's crazy for staying at Butler. "I was crazy leaving Lilly 11 years ago, and I still think that was a questionable decision at times," said Stevens, who was a marketing associate at the pharmaceutical giant for a year.

Is Brad Stevens a head coaching idiot savant? How can you be so decisive as a coach and still question whether you should have left your brilliant marketing career of one year at this point? You're a nod, hand shake and signature away from making multi-millions a year plus at least some endorsements. I mean I know Marketing can be a nice gig but seriously.

It's not like you think of MARKETING for a pharma as a morally or spiritually rewarding job. I'd probably rather be a used car salesman. At least you look people in the eye before fucking them in the ass.

Go Heels! (lol Duke - although in fairness Arizona could do no wrong on offense for the last half of the game. Blame in on Duke's defense if you want, but sometimes a team just shoots the lights out)

Sir Pant

beelzebozo said:
i love this place. THE PRECINCT.

it's hard to express why it's so great, but suffice to say it's an old-world steakhouse in a renovated police station and the meat is unreal. it's kind of expensive though, so save it for a special occasion. steaks with sides start around 35 and go up from there. my favorite thing is the porterhouse which is like 44. the last time i went i spent about 120 for me and my date.

i've been really interested in checking out THE ROOKWOOD for a long time. the charcuterie + handlebar mustache aesthetic speaks to me, and i look at the menu and this torta cubana (fried pork loin, local ham, pickles, swiss, spicy aioli) brings out something primal inside.

Thanks for the suggestions, they both look pretty good.

So far I've been to Montgomery Inn, Take the Cake, Arthur's, and Hofbrauhaus. HB totally wins so far. There's a distinct lack of Brew Pubs in Cincinnati also...

Fjordson

^Damn. Williams cleaned house yesterday.

I wonder if we'll see any 1 seeds go down today. Seems doubtful, though I think Kentucky could surprise people against OSU.

Seth C

Fjordson said:
^Damn. Williams cleaned house yesterday.

I wonder if we'll see any 1 seeds go down today. Seems doubtful, though I think Kentucky could surprise people against OSU.

I think Kentucky can beat Ohio State. We definitely have the talent to do it. Do I think Kentucky will win, though? No, I don't. But I didn't think we had a chance to win the SEC Tournament either and was pleasantly surprised there, so hopefully I'll feel the same way tonight. I'm not expecting it though.

Also, if you haven't had the black raspberry chip in a milkshake, go, run, do it now.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm still alive? This bottle of vicodin and whiskey didn't do shit but leave me with a hangover.

I guess we need a better talent group of uncle toms.

Proelite

truly101 said:
I'm still alive? This bottle of vicodin and whiskey didn't do shit but leave me with a hangover.

Arizona had the best offensive showing against us since Providence in 1997.

truly101 said:

You are 12 months removed from having won a national title. Cry me a river.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Proelite said:
Arizona had the best offensive showing against us since Providence in 1997.

Still have nightmares of God Shammgod and Austin Croshere.

Thanks for bringing that one up.

edit: But it does bring up a good point. Seeds don't matter in this tournament. If your team has the best player you normally move on. Those guys were better than anyone we had in 1997. Derrick Williams was better than anyone we had last night.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for us. Got straight up worked. Season ended pretty different than preseason expectations, but as you mentioned, so did 2010

SamuraiX-

DJ_Tet said:
edit: But it does bring up a good point. Seeds don't matter in this tournament. If your team has the best player you normally move on. Those guys were better than anyone we had in 1997. Derrick Williams was better than anyone we had last night.

inorite!?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300860096

Clearly, here, the juggernaut talents of Da'Sean Butler and Devin Ebanks were just too much for John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and DeMarcus Cousins.

It's definitely not always about who has the best players. If that were true, Duke wouldn't have won the title last year. Derrick Williams had the game of his fucking life last night. Without that, I think Duke would've pulled it out.

DJ_Tet

Banned
My point was mainly made for smaller schools and lesser known players. At the time someone like God Shammgod wasn't that well known (besides the name) and Austin Croshere wasn't known at all. But both went on to play multiple years in the NBA. Certainly had better careers than anyone on 1997 Duke.

But thanks for pointing out that in a one and done tournament that there are upsets. I'm sure that point was lost on everyone. Had WVU not beaten UK last year, likely Duke wouldn't have been champs. Upsets do happen and coaching matters a lot in a one game tournament. But you can have the best coach in the world and not be able to overcome a Derrick Williams on a night like that.

edit: Butler was a pretty damn good player and Ebanks made the league so maybe they aren't the BEST example of a huge upset.

Much better example would be that Princeton UCLA game. Or NC State vs Houston in 83.

I've always felt the same way about 1999 (or maybe it's just how I rationalize things.) 99 Duke had more talent, but UConn had Richard Hamilton who just couldn't be stopped. He turned out to be a better pro than anyone on the 99 Duke team.

Pollux

Sir Pant said:
Thanks for the suggestions, they both look pretty good.

So far I've been to Montgomery Inn, Take the Cake, Arthur's, and Hofbrauhaus. HB totally wins so far. There's a distinct lack of Brew Pubs in Cincinnati also...

You can't leave without going to the precinct. also SKYLINE AND GRAETERS.

Pollux

Seth C said:
I think Kentucky can beat Ohio State. We definitely have the talent to do it. Do I think Kentucky will win, though? No, I don't. But I didn't think we had a chance to win the SEC Tournament either and was pleasantly surprised there, so hopefully I'll feel the same way tonight. I'm not expecting it though.

Also, if you haven't had the black raspberry chip in a milkshake, go, run, do it now.

Really? I'll get on it as soon as I get back home.

That zona victory was fucking DELICIOUS and TASTY. You always get the sense that Duke will come back, and hell the refs were trying to get them back into it, but the fact that Zona just kept wooping that ass was very satisfying as a cats fan. gg dukies.

Pollux

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Tonight is the cheerleading matchup I've been waiting for all tournament.

VCU vs. Florida State

We better get some good end court camera coverage.

I can second this.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I hope both 804 teams lose tonight. The amount of nut hugging the city has done the last 2 days is sickening.

Proelite

truly101 said:
I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for us. Got straight up worked. Season ended pretty different than preseason expectations, but as you mentioned, so did 2010

I really didn't care about the results of yesterday's game. As a fan, I feel that our team has given us so much through out this season (i.e. undefeated at home and an awesome ACC tourney run). I could not ask for more.

It's hard to see all the seniors not in the happiest of all emotions in the last game of their careers. Pullen, Pitt's seniors, Jimmer, Smith, Singler and Ben Hansborough etc. Worst aspect of the tournament.

EDIT:
2216091_o.gif

Sir Pant said:
I've been putting off trying Skyline or any other Chili here for that matter, is it really that good?

I just can't see fast food chili as tasty...

It's not really fast food chili, specifically if u dont get to the mass produced stuff like skyline or goldstar chili. They make it fresh everyday and it just simmers all day. Cincy style chili is completely different kind of chili than you have ever tried. It has a unique taste, which includes chocolate and cinnamon.

SyNapSe

I know it seems dumb but I wish KU were playing a higher seed. We're so prone to not showing up and playing down :| gah. We played great against Texas in the Big 12 championship game but we nearly didn't make it there because Oklahoma state had a shot down 1 at the end to beat us in our first tourney game.

On the other hand, if I weren't a KU fan. A Richmond-VCU contest in the elite 8 would make for incredible storylines. Battle for Richmond AND a final 4 bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom