• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

bucknuticus said:
?, saying UK is going to beat you with their joke is laughable. He can say they'll win, thats not the problem I had. But saying you dont like OSU because we play 7 guys then go on a talk about how UK will beat you with their depth is not accurate at all.
Go to bed brah.

jakncoke

Banned
I remember a time in the season Buckeye fan thought they were going undefeated. Then a time when they thought the championship was sealed. Good times they losing in s16. Suck it down Buckeyes suck it down.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BertramCooper said:
What a fucking awful game. I wasted so much money going to see that shit.

What's most disappointing is this was easily the most talented OSU basketball team in my lifetime. And we totally fucked it up. Forty minutes of pure garbage.

Ugh.

i have had this feeling, and i can safely say it is in the top ten worst feelings i've ever experienced.

SyNapSe

I fell asleep last night and woke up right at the last 30 or so seconds of the Kentucky - Ohio St. game. Right before Knight hit that great shot. Looking at the box score it seems the upper classmen really carried the day again for UK.

Hmm, I was expecting OSU to take out Carolina though. Out of all the teams left before this round UNC was the one I was hoping wouldn't make the champ. game (if KU were lucky enough to make it that far)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
SyNapSe said:
I fell asleep last night and woke up right at the last 30 or so seconds of the Kentucky - Ohio St. game. Right before Knight hit that great shot. Looking at the box score it seems the upper classmen really carried the day again for UK.

Hmm, I was expecting OSU to take out Carolina though. Out of all the teams left before this round UNC was the one I was hoping wouldn't make the champ. game (if KU were lucky enough to make it that far)

If y'all whip that ass like you did in 08, I'm all for it. In fact, they should dig up Billy Packer just so he can say "its over" in the 1st half. Quite possibly my favorite non Duke related UNC moment

jjasper

bucknuticus said:
@PDBuckeyes Jared Sullinger promised to return next year. Said he won't change his mind. "I'm a man of my word"

Usually I think it is pretty dumb when a kid returns when he is projected to be a lottery pick, but with the CBA ending for basketball this summer and seeing what is happening with the football players I would be willing to bet that he won't be the only big time player that chooses to return.

Edit: Which will probably mean all the tweeners that most people expected to return for a year are going to jump.

Talon

jakncoke said:
In terms of epic shit storm isn't NBA problems CBA wise suppose to be leagues worse then NFL?
Yes. At least NFL teams are making money. Stern says that half of the NBA is losing money.

Last night's game was just so bizarre.

Neither team ever got in a rhythm. Not even close to one. OSU was up by about 7 in the first half and that was by far the largest lead of the night. It was so strange.

Both teams played like dogshit. UK was just slightly less shitty.

Also, I can't figure out why OSU didn't take a time out after UK got that basket with about five seconds left. We had 2 left. I haven't watched any post-game press conferences. Did Matta get asked about it?

bill0527

BertramCooper said:

Neither team ever got in a rhythm. Not even close to one. OSU was up by about 7 in the first half and that was by far the largest lead of the night. It was so strange.

Also, I can't figure out why OSU didn't take a time out after UK got that basket with about five seconds left. We had 2 left. I haven't watched any post-game press conferences. Did Matta get asked about it?

He didn't take a timeout so that UK's defense couldn't get setup.

OSU got a better look with their last shot than what they could have gotten out of a set play. Seriously, they could not have gotten a better shot than what they got at the end with so little time left on the clock.

And I disagree about both teams playing like dogshit. UK played the perfect game to beat OSU. They had to.

bill0527 said:

OSU got a better look with their last shot than what they could have gotten out of a set play. Seriously, they could not have gotten a better shot than what they got at the end with so little time left on the clock.
I figured as much, but William Buford is one of the last people on the team I want taking a last-second shot. With a set play, we could have at least tried to get it in the hands of Lighty or Diebler.

And I disagree about both teams playing like dogshit. UK played the perfect game to beat OSU. They had to.
Fair enough.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
Yes. At least NFL teams are making money. Stern says that half of the NBA is losing money.

The league has too many teams, its saturated with mediocre talent and it appears to be on a collision course with financial insolvency. Stern is going to have to make some hard decisions to return the league to its 80's-mid 90's heyday.

SyNapSe

bill0527 said:

If OSU had called a timeout on the baseline it probably would have resulted in a half court shot instead of the really good look Buford got from right at the 3 pt line. The only set type play you could draw up with that time left from the baseline would have to be a 3/4 court pass where you hope 3 kentucky guys converge in the air and the OSU player tips or passes to a guy left standing wide open.

If there had been 10 seconds left, I'm sure they would have called timeout the moment Buford crossed half court.

jjasper said:
Usually I think it is pretty dumb when a kid returns when he is projected to be a lottery pick, but with the CBA ending for basketball this summer and seeing what is happening with the football players I would be willing to bet that he won't be the only big time player that chooses to return.

Edit: Which will probably mean all the tweeners that most people expected to return for a year are going to jump.

Isn't there a rumor about a new rule being implemented that will require draft prospects to play at least 3 years of college ball? That might force a lot of players to bail this year.

Bowser

Outdoor Miner said:
Isn't there a rumor about a new rule being implemented that will require draft prospects to play at least 3 years of college ball? That might force a lot of players to bail this year.

I don't think that's really a rumor. Maybe you're thinking that because you've heard so many CBB analysts advocating that rule should be implemented, but I don't think it's anywhere near happening yet.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bowser said:
I don't think that's really a rumor. Maybe you're thinking that because you've heard so many CBB analysts advocating that rule should be implemented, but I don't think it's anywhere near happening yet.

What Dick Vitale wants, Dick Vitale gets.

Even if they implemented such a rule, I'm sure there would be a delay or grandfather clause to let current players enter the draft. If there is one. The NBA is going to get blowed up.

Haw, checked in on my bracket after traveling for a couple of weeks (and barely remembering most of my picks)...Wow, total carnage. I think the few people below me didn't even fill out a complete bracket. Thank you, KU, for playing like you've been playing--try to do it 3 more times, m'okay?

Im awake. Heavy drinking all day on a beach in Hawaii, heavy drinking at the bar cheering on my Cats. Go UK go!

My bracket only has 3 elite 8 teams left-- uconn, Kansas, and kentucky. I have all 3 in the final four.

Damn I can't believe we pulled that out last night. Jorts is a beast, Knight is amazing, and Liggins...dear god that man can defend. UNC tomorrow...I kind want us to beat Unc, then uconn, then Florida, in a rematch marathon of defeating old foes. We crushed Florida just 2 weeks ago...I want to do the same next week.

PotatoeMasher said:
Lost in the topic of both OSU and UK playing like dog shit is the fact that both teams played a killer defensive game.
UK was a shockblocking machine, it was a great performance by them, although sad from an OSU fan's POV.

McNei1y

DBebm5 said:
Haw, checked in on my bracket after traveling for a couple of weeks (and barely remembering most of my picks)...Wow, total carnage. I think the few people below me didn't even fill out a complete bracket. Thank you, KU, for playing like you've been playing--try to do it 3 more times, m'okay?

I'm below you in the GAF thing if thats what you are referring to and my bracket got blown to shit with Pitt losing, as well as Notre Dame... I mean I don't have any final four teams left :lol

Lets go VCU/Arizona!

DarkWish said:
OMG THAT WAS CRAZY!

So I watched the VCU game with my fellow Rams at our student commons and the atmosphere was intense. Let me tell you... we all almost had a heart attack at the end there and we pulled through in the last few seconds. First time in school history in the Sweet 16 and now we're on to the Elite 8!!! Afterwards, I went outside and there were massive crowds of people. After a few minutes, they all ran into the streets and we basically started a massive riot in the streets. People were flipping shit, jumping on cars, throwing stuff, it was crazy. It felt like EVERYONE was out in the streets. After almost an hour of running around in the streets, I went back to my apartment cause I was tired. So yea, that was crazy. So awesome that we won!

Elite 8 game is on Sunday... I'm going to be honest and say that our chances of winning that one are slim. Having said that, I will not give up on my Rams and I will cheer them on every second of the game. I've been supporting them all season, even when they had their rough times, so I'm in this all the way. They have been known to do much better when faced with an opponent who people say they can't beat, so they could surprise us. GO RAMS!

I wish I could have been there to see it! I was an RA at GRC and I would have started writing everyone up....just kidding.

If VCU got this far, then they must win against Kansas. This is for that Final FO FO FO. And if VCU doesn't win, then I can see George Mason having bragging rights over us for years to come.

Skaka Smart will likely move on, but both him and Anthony Grant has left a great legacy that has been built up upon. This will mean better enrollment, better players, and possibly more tournament boths.

But if VCU wins, it is going to be one HELL of a story from beginning to end. As long as they get a banner in this tourney, that is all I really care about now. I hope they use George Mason as inspiration and write their own ending.

SyNapSe

Butler - Florida should be fun. I was a bit down on UF as a 2 seed given the SEC champ. finale against UK but they looked good before that game. I watched them vs. Vandy. I think they are running a bit under the radar so far in the tourney also. When Boynton and in particular Walker are drilling from deep 3 area that really opens the game up.

Seth C

BertramCooper said:

Kentucky shot 45%, 35% from 3, 86% FTs, and held the other team to 32.8% shooting while blocking 11 shots. You just got beat. Those number don't suggest anything remotely close to "shitty" on Kentucky's part.

Also, you shouldn't have had 5 seconds left anyway. More like 2 had the clock started when it was supposed to. You got gifted there, twice.

JJ I've been meaning to ask you: what's the word in Knoxville on your next coach? Legitimately, not that 5 coach wishlist of guys who won't go to Tennessee for a couple years of probation and rebuilding?

And butler is hangin in there- how's the game going? I'm just seeing score updates...

jjasper

kkaabboomm said:
JJ I've been meaning to ask you: what's the word in Knoxville on your next coach? Legitimately, not that 5 coach wishlist of guys who won't go to Tennessee for a couple years of probation and rebuilding?

No one knows. Most of that list is a joke, I don't know of a single fan that thinks it is reasonable. The one name that keeps popping up is Lawrence Frank, will it happen who knows? Could work though, he could come in for a few years to steady the program then head back to the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom