• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF Kansas wins then I think it will be Kansas vs. UNC for the championship. I would be surprised if UNC won the title, but if Kansas isn't eliminated on Sunday then I call them to win it all.

Pollux

Bowser said:
Tentatively, I like the matchups against UK. Obviously, we're both very different teams from when we played, but I think Dex should be able to keep the damage from Knight to a minimum. Jones has been pretty invisible in the past 10 or so games and Henson harassed him into something like a 3/18 performance when he was playing like a NPOY candidate. Lamb lit us up, but Barnes should hopefully be able to contain him (much better defender now than he was way back then...actually, much better player overall).

Should be a good close game...let's get it done Heels.

Should be a good game...lets get on with it haha I can't wait.

Tapiozona

Banned
So a buddy of mine's boss owns a Limo/town car service here in Phoenix and is a UofA alumn. He just offered to fly about 5 of us out to Anaheim for the game tomorrow free of charge and back the same night on his private jet. (We just have to buy our tickets to the game)

Sounds awesome, but it's a small private jet (I asked if it was a Cesna and he said no, its a "jet jet" which he uses to fly around executives), and I'm a bit afraid to fly one something like that with a pilot who may or may not be good at flying and what if he decides to have a few drinks before/after the game? I'm going to be pissed if I miss this opportunity, but I'll be more pissed if I die. Ahh, what to do

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
Tentatively, I like the matchups against UK. Obviously, we're both very different teams from when we played, but I think Dex should be able to keep the damage from Knight to a minimum. Jones has been pretty invisible in the past 10 or so games and Henson harassed him into something like a 3/18 performance when he was playing like a NPOY candidate. Lamb lit us up, but Barnes should hopefully be able to contain him (much better defender now than he was way back then...actually, much better player overall).

Should be a good close game...let's get it done Heels.

UNC still should have the size advantage down low, this is why I thought TOSU would win tonight as post play seems to be UKs one weakness. It won't shock me either way.

Pollux

Shin Dynamo X said:
IF Kansas wins then I think it will be Kansas vs. UNC for the championship. I would be surprised if UNC won the title, but if Kansas isn't eliminated on Sunday then I call them to win it all.

UNC has to get by Kentucky first.

Seth C said:
The non-useless rankings have Kentucky as a top 10 team. If you really were convinced there was THAT much of a difference among the top 10 it certainly doesn't anger me. It just means you're a moron. :) Especially given Ohio State already had proven they could lose to teams WORSE than Kentucky. Purdue and Wisconsin are ranked lower than Kentucky in every poll you can look to. Useless or otherwise.
Well, you have moved on to name calling so I will wrap it up. I personally felt from all the games I watched this season that Ohio St and Kansas were at a higher level then anybody else in the tournament and I am surprised that Ohio St lost tonight. I will leave it at that.

Seth C

yellowjacket25 said:
Well, you have moved on to name calling so I will wrap it up. I personally felt from all the games I watched this season that Ohio St and Kansas were at a higher level then anybody else in the tournament and I am surprised that Ohio St lost tonight. I will leave it at that.

Awww. Don't get your feelings hurt. IF you say things that sound moronic I'm not above calling you on it. It's nothing personal. ;) Ohio State and Kansas are both beatable, as they have proven. Kentucky is better than any of the teams to have previously beaten Kansas or Ohio State. Kentucky should not have been a 4 seed. No one is unbeatable. Period, the end. Even the 96 Kentucky team lost two games, though to be fair they were both Final Four teams.

Bowser

Seth C said:
We lost by 2 at Chapel Hill. We clearly don't have a chance in this game. Sad that our season is over. Again. :(

Come on man, no one is saying you don't have a chance. Shit, on this post game show on TBS both Steven Smith and Tom freakin' Izzo picked you guys over us.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dreams-Visions said:
I think I'd be jealous if I were them. There's no glory in getting put out of the tournament. Meanwhile, nobody remembers you having a light schedule on the way to the Championship game. Only that you won. Duke, Pitt, OSU...all would be in proper position to win if they got to play VCU in the Elite 8 after playing Illinois and Richmond to get there. That's a clear-as-day cake-walk compared to dealing with Arizona, Butler and Kentucky. Simple as that. Spin it to comfort your ego if you wish.

It always comes down to matchups and we were fortunate enough to play teams that never forced Duke to play a style they were not comfortable with. Baylor was closest I guess but we hung with their athleticism and they weren't a quick team. None of the games were especially easy, just good match ups for the team we had.

KU is playing who's in front of them, thats all they can do, they no control over anything else. It would be very interesting if they were to lose this weekend. THis shit would be more wide open then it is. Too bad Hayward had to go pro and waste his time getting splinters on the bench. I'd definitely like Butler here. They still might do it.

Seth C

Bowser said:
Come on man, no one is saying you don't have a chance. Shit, on this post game show on TBS both Steven Smith and Tom freakin' Izzo picked you guys over us.

I'm just messing around. Sarcasm and all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
pxleyes said:
Sullinger says he is coming back, wow!

Now this I'm jealous of, if he sticks with it. I just wish we could get one full season out of Irving. For putting up with Lawson and Felton for 3 years each, we deserve that much. We won't get it though. If he leaves, then he leaves, it will be hard to replace his cheerleading on the bench.

Pollux

Seth C said:
We lost by 2 at Chapel Hill. We clearly don't have a chance in this game. Sad that our season is over. Again. :(

Dude...I hope you're kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.

Via Twitter:

@BBaptistHoops Bob Baptist

Just back from postgame interviews. Sullinger, Buford and Thomas all said they will be back for #Buckeyes next season.

This is good, with our top 5 recruiting class next year hopefully we can make another run, we got some more bigs coming in.

Seth C

bucknuticus said:
Via Twitter:

@BBaptistHoops Bob Baptist

Just back from postgame interviews. Sullinger, Buford and Thomas all said they will be back for #Buckeyes next season.

This is good, with our top 5 recruiting class next year hopefully we can make another run, we got some more bigs coming in.

I vote for an early season re-match. We can play it neutral in Cincy. Our class next season will be a monster.

Pollux

Seth C said:
I vote for an early season re-match. We can play it neutral in Cincy. Our class next season will be a monster.

Yes, but I really hope some of our current freshman also come back.

Seth C

zmoney said:

I'm expecting Lamb to come back, hoping Knight will stick around a second season and graduate, and expecting Jones to bolt despite being woefully unprepared for the NBA. Or at this point, even the NCAA Tournament. Or anyone but mid-majors, really...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
zmoney said:

Who would leave? Jones? maybe. Knight? no way, he's not quite ready.

Our monster class doesn't hit till 2012. Next year not looking so good, especially if Rivers is a flop.

Pollux

bucknuticus said:
@PDBuckeyes Jared Sullinger promised to return next year. Said he won't change his mind. "I'm a man of my word"

Y'all are going to be dirty next year....not that you weren't this year...but you get what I'm trying to say.

Pollux

Seth C said:
I'm expecting Lamb to come back, hoping Knight will stick around a second season and graduate, and expecting Jones to bolt despite being woefully unprepared for the NBA. Or at this point, even the NCAA Tournament. Or anyone but mid-majors, really...

But with an extra summer of work Jones could be pretty good.

Bowser

PotatoeMasher said:
Dirty little secret is that UK will actually be favored if you trust Ken Pomeroy's rankings.

Doesn't really mean much. If you trusted Ken Pomeroy's rankings, your team would be out of the tournament tonight. Not to mention Kenpom favored SDSU over UConn, Duke and Texas over Zona, Pitt and Wisky over Butler, etc.

Seth C

truly101 said:
Who would leave? Jones? maybe. Knight? no way, he's not quite ready.

Our monster class doesn't hit till 2012. Next year not looking so good, especially if Rivers is a flop.

Remember, Orton was drafted in the first round last year. ORTON, who was the third choice on his college team at his position, went to the NBA in the first round. I won't be surprised if Stacey Poole Jr. goes in the first round at this point.

Bowser said:
Doesn't really mean much. If you trusted Ken Pomeroy's rankings, your team would be out of the tournament tonight. Not to mention Kenpom favored SDSU over UConn, Duke and Texas over Zona, Pitt and Wisky over Butler, etc.
Sure, but it's pretty sweet to come in with the underdog label without that necessarily being the case. Should be a good game.

DarkWish

OMG THAT WAS CRAZY!

So I watched the VCU game with my fellow Rams at our student commons and the atmosphere was intense. Let me tell you... we all almost had a heart attack at the end there and we pulled through in the last few seconds. First time in school history in the Sweet 16 and now we're on to the Elite 8!!! Afterwards, I went outside and there were massive crowds of people. After a few minutes, they all ran into the streets and we basically started a massive riot in the streets. People were flipping shit, jumping on cars, throwing stuff, it was crazy. It felt like EVERYONE was out in the streets. After almost an hour of running around in the streets, I went back to my apartment cause I was tired. So yea, that was crazy. So awesome that we won!

Elite 8 game is on Sunday... I'm going to be honest and say that our chances of winning that one are slim. Having said that, I will not give up on my Rams and I will cheer them on every second of the game. I've been supporting them all season, even when they had their rough times, so I'm in this all the way. They have been known to do much better when faced with an opponent who people say they can't beat, so they could surprise us. GO RAMS!

Haven't been in this thread in a little while, so I'll just summarize my thoughts of these past few games: HOLY FUCK.

I had Ohio State taking it all. I was really impressed with how they played Florida early in the season, and I still think they're a better team than Kentucky, at least on paper.

I don't know if I should be going for SEC pride or whatever, but I'm still bitter about Kentucky beating Florida in the SEC tournament, so go UNC. Although Kentucky beating OSU does make me feel better about losing to them.

Also, good job Florida State. Way to fuck that last possession up. But go VCU - hell of a run.

So the two best conferences this year were the Big East and Big 10, but UConn was the only team from one of these 2 conferences to make the elite 8. wow.

And the SEC is bringing more teams to the Elite 8 then the Big East and Big 10 combined!

spin spin spin!

scoobs

perfectchaos007 said:
So the two best conferences this year were the Big East and Big 10, but UConn was the only team from one of these 2 conferences to make the elite 8. wow.

And the SEC is bringing more teams to the Elite 8 then the Big East and Big 10 combined!

spin spin spin!
You really cant judge best conferenced by who is left in the tourney at end. Its all about matchups

Seth C

Kill The Bat said:
Haven't been in this thread in a little while, so I'll just summarize my thoughts of these past few games: HOLY FUCK.

I had Ohio State taking it all. I was really impressed with how they played Florida early in the season, and I still think they're a better team than Kentucky, at least on paper.

I don't know if I should be going for SEC pride or whatever, but I'm still bitter about Kentucky beating Florida in the SEC tournament, so go UNC. Although Kentucky beating OSU does make me feel better about losing to them.

Also, good job Florida State. Way to fuck that last possession up. But go VCU - hell of a run.

You realize Kentucky and Florida are on opposite sides of the bracket and both still alive, right? Why not go for the super-mega-epic revenge that could only come by repaying the SEC Tournament defeat with a win over Kentucky in the NCAA championship game?

Bowser

Thought this was a pretty cool pic:

2wfmo2t.jpg

iamblades

scoobs said:
You really cant judge best conferenced by who is left in the tourney at end. Its all about matchups

It's less about matchups and more about style of play I think.

The kind of super physical play those conferences have doesn't work in the tournament when you run into a team that can match the physicality as well as beat you on an athletic/finesse level.

This is more true WRT to the big east than the big 10 though.

jakncoke

Banned
iamblades said:
It's less about matchups and more about style of play I think.

The kind of super physical play those conferences have doesn't work in the tournament when you run into a team that can match the physicality as well as beat you on an athletic/finesse level.

This is more true WRT to the big east than the big 10 though.

Also reffing sometimes kills seeds. Pitt has gotten hit by different refs before. What fly's in BE play gets called by most other refs

Seth C said:
You realize Kentucky and Florida are on opposite sides of the bracket and both still alive, right? Why not go for the super-mega-epic revenge that could only come by repaying the SEC Tournament defeat with a win over Kentucky in the NCAA championship game?

While that would be cool, I'd rather wait and see if Florida can top Butler/Kansas/VCU before I start drooling about such a matchup.

as usual my fb blew up post game about UK fans bing their classy selves..I leave you this classy example, for reference nobody called out UK or Cal for cheating, the UK fan just went there
NCAA cleared Coach Cal of having anything to do with any of the violations at UMASS and Memphis. So if UL fans can call him a cheater for being accused and not found guilty, then UK fans can call Pitino a rapist whether he he was charged or not.

What a fucking awful game. I wasted so much money going to see that shit.

What's most disappointing is this was easily the most talented OSU basketball team in my lifetime. And we totally fucked it up. Forty minutes of pure garbage.

Ugh.

giga

bucknuticus said:
Lmfao Charles Barkley is a joke, he said he doenst like us because we only have 7 guys. Then went on a rant about how Uk depth will kill us. Why is this guy on here lmfao.
eagle-eyes.gif

giga said:

?, saying UK is going to beat you with their joke is laughable. He can say they'll win, thats not the problem I had. But saying you dont like OSU because we play 7 guys then go on a talk about how UK will beat you with their depth is not accurate at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom