• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

I think Tennessee could've done better as this hire seems a bit rushed and almost Dooley-like. I very seriously doubt significant money was thrown at any names. I'm still willing to give the guy a chance, I like everything I've read about him. Just worried about recruiting.

The sanctions won't be anything significant. Hopefully Hamilton will be shown the door now.

B.K.

lush said:
Hopefully Hamilton will be shown the door now.

Were you the one who did this?

NfYSM.jpg

lush

B.K. said:
Were you the one who did this?

NfYSM.jpg
Thankfully no. A lot of doom and gloomers that think basketball started at Tennessee 6 years ago are whining about this hire. Most are still butthurt about the firing of Pearl and put the blame on Hamilton. Funny to see some more Wikipedia shenanigans though, saw some earlier on Lawrence Frank and Brian Gregory's pages.

Also, if anyone is legitimately looking for final four tickets, I think I have a line on 2-4 extra ones. I'll know more Monday/Tuesday. Pretty sure at least 2 almost guaranteed. PM me and I'll know either monday or Tuesday.

DarkWish

beelzebozo said:
that is awesome, darkwish. best of luck man.
Thanks man. Yea, it's been a great ride.

zmoney said:
Congrats man...I hope your coach can stay with y'all and doesn't go to one of the bigger schools. always like VCU had some friends that went there.
Yea, I hope so too. I think he'll stay though, cause of some of the players.

EDIT: Anyone with a 3DS that wants 3D photos of VCU students celebrating in the streets today, PM me and I'll send you the file with them.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Hard to believe that it took UK 13 years to get back to the FF after the 98 2x comeback. Congrats to the UK fan(atics) and thank you for allowing me to enjoy my week.

edit: As great as the Saturday games will be, I'm really enjoying how the brackets fell into place for Monday night. GO VCU/BUTLER WINNER! Would be sweet revenge after so much talk last year on how Duke didn't deserve their title and they 'barely won.' You win, you win, and UConn or UK will take it any way they can get it.

Seth C

PotatoeMasher said:
Tempted to go meet the team at the airport.

I'm going. Let me know if you want to meet up.

beelzebozo said:
i'm posting on my iphone from the luggage rack.

I hope that's a joke because they won't be coming in at the airport. They land at TAC Air behind the airport.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Seth C said:

I hope that's a joke because they won't be coming in at the airport. They land at TAC Air behind the airport.

the luggage rack on the plane. calipari's eating tunafish and writing something in the necronomicon.

Seth C said:

Decided not to go. Too far to drive for 15 seconds of glory.

Might have to work something out for the Final Four though. Still can't believe they beat OSU and UNC back to back.

Seth C

zmoney said:

God damn I wish i was back in kentucky right about now....

This won't help. By this time things were starting to calm down a bit though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAVqxUKbzr4

PotatoeMasher said:
Decided not to go. Too far to drive for 15 seconds of glory.

Might have to work something out for the Final Four though. Still can't believe they beat OSU and UNC back to back.

That's a shame. It was a great experience last year. The players came out and shook hands and high fived for several minutes. Was well worth it.

goldenticket said:
Wish i could have seen it. What did he say?

I only overheard a bit of it being played on ESPN radio, but it sounded like he was whining that the selection committee and the NCAA ruined everything by expanding and now we have a Final Four with no good teams.

iamblades

beelzebozo said:
the luggage rack on the plane. calipari's eating tunafish and writing something in the necronomicon.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Think it's apropos of the revived UK program.

Cathulhu coming to devour the college basketball world.

lol...

Seth C said:
That's a shame. It was a great experience last year. The players came out and shook hands and high fived for several minutes. Was well worth it.

You're talking me in to it. Looks like the plane is delayed a bit and will be there between 11:00 and 11:30 now.

Seth C

PotatoeMasher said:
You're talking me in to it. Looks like the plane is delayed a bit and will be there between 11:00 and 11:30 now.

I've driven a lot farther for a lot less. Like I said, last year was fantastic despite being completely bittersweet. This time it should be pretty awesome. Just be aware if you don't go you will have to watch my video and be sad you weren't there.

I was in Syracuse last year...if I wast in Hawaii I would've been in Newark this year. Post video of the team returning and we should meet up in Houston (I'll be the guy, same as in the SEC tournament that was on TV!!, with the eloy Vargas sign)

Seth C

I have family in Houston. I just need a ticket. How much are you paying for lower arena seats?

And I will post video to my Youtube channel from the airport.

Pollux

Seth C said:
I have family in Houston. I just need a ticket. How much are you paying for lower arena seats?

And I will post video to my Youtube channel from the airport.

When you get back PM me the youtube link please. If you would be so kind. go big blue.

SamuraiX-

So we have a 3 seed, a 4 seed, an 8 seed, and an 11 seed in the Final Four... When was the last time something like this happened?

Not a single 1 seed in the FF? gotdayum

lol, the Tristan Thompson declaring or not stuff is pretty hilarious. but it looks like he's going back to Texas which is good news for them. NBADraft.net confusing the Texas player with the North Texas player is funny.

Seth C

SamuraiX- said:
So we have a 3 seed, a 4 seed, an 8 seed, and an 11 seed in the Final Four... When was the last time something like this happened?

Not a single 1 seed in the FF? gotdayum

There has never been a Final Four without at least one 1 or 2 seed. This is a first.

The airport was a mad house. Last year after the loss there were maybe 200 or 200 people there. This year there may have been 3000. I'll post photos and video tomorrow.

DarkWish

Just got back from a pep rally welcoming our team back to Richmond. It was short, but good. I recorded pretty much the whole thing with them talking about how they're going all the way to win it. I'll try and upload it later. Go Rams! VCU going all the way!

Last year, UK got to the Elite Eight. It was a 1 seed. We lost.

We then lost 5 NBA first rounders, 1 transfer, and 2 graduating seniors. We had 5 freshman (4 superstars) coming in, but 1 was ruled ineligible. So 3+1 freshmen for this year.

We have 1 senior + 2 juniors who barely saw the floor during the elite 8 run. same with the one freshman (now sophomore - Hood) who never saw the floor. Add a juco transfer (ELOY VARGAS!!) and walkon/scholarship Polson, and thats our 10 man roster from last year. Basically...a completely different team.

And now we're in the Final Four, and on a revenge kick. After losing, again - in OT at Arkansas! we havent lost since. We got revenge on Florida, then Vandy, then Tennessee. Then we went to the SEC tournament, having won a first round bye, and got revenge first on Ole Miss, then Alabama, and then Florida again, just for shits and giggles. We were rewarded with...a 4 seed, and Florida got a 2 seed. Ok, so we beat Princeton, then got revenge on WVU for last years happening. OSU wasn't so much as revenge as beating old demons, as we'd never beaten them in the NCAA tournament. UNC was very sweet, as they too had defeated us earlier this season, and now are going home.

Up next on the revenge tour: UCONN, who beat us earlier this season. We will be ready. Damn what an awesome storyline thus far.

Pollux

kkaabboomm said:
Last year, UK got to the Elite Eight. It was a 1 seed. We lost.

We then lost 5 NBA first rounders, 1 transfer, and 2 graduating seniors. We had 5 freshman (4 superstars) coming in, but 1 was ruled ineligible. So 3+1 freshmen for this year.

We have 1 senior + 2 juniors who barely saw the floor during the elite 8 run. same with the one freshman (now sophomore - Hood) who never saw the floor. Add a juco transfer (ELOY VARGAS!!) and walkon/scholarship Polson, and thats our 10 man roster from last year. Basically...a completely different team.

And now we're in the Final Four, and on a revenge kick. After losing, again - in OT at Arkansas! we havent lost since. We got revenge on Florida, then Vandy, then Tennessee. Then we went to the SEC tournament, having won a first round bye, and got revenge first on Ole Miss, then Alabama, and then Florida again, just for shits and giggles. We were rewarded with...a 4 seed, and Florida got a 2 seed. Ok, so we beat Princeton, then got revenge on WVU for last years happening. OSU wasn't so much as revenge as beating old demons, as we'd never beaten them in the NCAA tournament. UNC was very sweet, as they too had defeated us earlier this season, and now are going home.

Up next on the revenge tour: UCONN, who beat us earlier this season. We will be ready. Damn what an awesome storyline thus far.

Well said. Put Liggins on Walker, and and Lamb on Lamb, Miller on Lamb and let Josh bang it out on the inside.

They are calling it: The Redeem Team.

I'm thinking about coming into Lexington to celebrate if we make it to the title game. The possibility of a UK championship threatens to end my pledge of sobriety.

Pollux

vas_a_morir said:
They are calling it: The Redeem Team.

I'm thinking about coming into Lexington to celebrate if we make it to the title game. The possibility of a UK championship threatens to end my pledge of sobriety.

And here I am stuck in Boston.... :(

If we win the championship, still no drinking for me on monday night, got a midterm the next morning.

However I am getting hammered this tues. and wed. to make up for it lol.

jjasper

I don't know why but I actually find Jay Blias's twitter amusing.

Crow: actually, it tastes like chicken. Are they serving it at the VCU banquet?! Leftovers make good sandwiches, too.

I am watching "Man v. Food" right now. Almost as good as NCAAs. No way VCU belongs in an eating challenge with Adam Richman. Too soon?!

Bill Raftery called. He told me he's speaking at the VCU hoop banquet. He's either kidding, or the VCU banquet is "open bar."

Consumer advocate Ralph Nader calls for the end of the NCAA Tournament, to be replaced by a giant Woodstock-like pick-up game.

Jay Sosa

SamuraiX- said:
UConn vs. Kentucky.

Walker vs. Knight.

Gonna be fuckawesome.

Yeah, just like rest of the tournament. I think this year might be the best I can remember. Fuck that "there is no real talent in the NCAA right now" talk. I really hope Calipari finally wins a championship, think about him whatever you like, he's an awesome coach. I'm rooting for a Butler Kentucky final but azhve no problem with Uconn-VCU either (or any other constellation).

I only hope that they finally install something like a 2 year rule, I hate to see people like Rose only play one year..I know that that means a lot of talent will completely skip college but I still think it would be the best for everyone.

Oh and lol at Obama :D

KingGondo

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
I only hope that they finally install something like a 2 year rule, I hate to see people like Rose only play one year..I know that that means a lot of talent will completely skip college but I still think it would be the best for everyone.
To me, it's immoral to require a qualified person (like Kobe, Garnett, LeBron, Rose, or Durant) to forego millions in earnings simply because of some misguided paternalism. Sure, there are guys who make bad decisions, but it shouldn't prevent guys who are ready from making their market value. It would definitely improve the college game, but that's not justification to prevent guys from making what they're worth, while the NCAA and schools profit tremendously off the talent and hard work of these players.

I would only be ok with a two-year requirement as long as guys have the option to go pro immediately and forego college altogether.

Jay Sosa

KingGondo said:
To me, it's immoral to require a qualified person (like Kobe, Garnett, LeBron, Rose, or Durant) to forego millions in earnings simply because of some misguided paternalism. Sure, there are guys who make bad decisions, but it shouldn't prevent guys who are ready from making their market value. It would definitely improve the college game, but that's not justification to prevent guys from making what they're worth, while the NCAA and schools profit tremendously off the talent and hard work of these players.

I would only be ok with a two-year requirement as long as guys have the option to go pro immediately and forego college altogether.

Of course, everything else would be pretty stupid and unfair.

jjasper

So then it is agreed. Should do it like baseball. You can go pro but if you don't you have to stay in college for a while (I think for baseball it is 3 years).

Edit: Actually for baseball if you are drafted out of high school don't you have the option to sign and be contractually obligated to that team (but not paid) or not sign and go through the draft again? Or is it like Euro players where once draft the team owns the rights. If that is the former there is no way that would fly in the NBA so I guess it wouldn't be 100% like baseball.

There will be a two year limit, players won't be able to declare from high school, the Player's Association is going to be desperate once the season starts and the lockout is still going on and the first people they'll sell out are the ones who aren't in the union yet. It's going to make next year's draft suck though and this year's draft already sucks so that's not good for teams currently rebuilding.

Pollux

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
There will be a two year limit, players won't be able to declare from high school, the Player's Association is going to be desperate once the season starts and the lockout is still going on and the first people they'll sell out are the ones who aren't in the union yet. It's going to make next year's draft suck though and this year's draft already sucks so that's not good for teams currently rebuilding.

Honestly I'm fine with all that. It would improve the college game again. Screw the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom