• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
So I'm at this game, and the halftime show is some girl that's singing Katy Perry and Taylor Swift covers. Sheesh.

McAdoo's a beast. Rivers has amazing handles. Plumlee is trying to be buddy buddy with everyone but noone's biting. Kabongo is only trying to break ankles.

Marshall honestly doesn't deserve to be there. He could be a decent player but not at the level of the other kids here.

NCAAB has a tourney, but why is it that the same 8 teams seem to always win the championship? College Football seems to have way more diversity of champions. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly SEEMS that way.

Like, Yeah, Butler or VCU could win, but if they don't, it's either Kentucky or Uconn.. Same ol teams.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
vas_a_morir said:
NCAAB has a tourney, but why is it that the same 8 teams seem to always win the championship? College Football seems to have way more diversity of champions. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly SEEMS that way.

Like, Yeah, Butler or VCU could win, but if they don't, it's either Kentucky or Uconn.. Same ol teams.

Your past NCAA FB champions

Auburn
Alabama
Florida
LSU
Florida
Texas
USC
USC/LSU
TOSU
Miami
Oklahoma

All perennial top 10 teams with a history of success

Your past 10 NCAA BB Champions

Duke
UNC
KU
UF
UF
UNC
UConn
Syracuse
Maryland
Duke

All perennial top 10 teams with a history of success

What the fuck was your point again?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
The 2004 title was vacated. Thatsthejoke.jpg

They weren't in the title game in '03, just won the AP vote.

Oh yeah, forgot about the whole Reggie Bush thing. I guess Vas a Morir has a point since Vacated hasn't won a championship in basketball. With UConn and UK in the mix though......

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
truly101 said:
Oh yeah, forgot about the whole Reggie Bush thing. I guess Vas a Morir has a point since Vacated hasn't won a championship in basketball. With UConn and UK in the mix though......
Precisely why I'm rooting for Kentucky this year. That way when Rivers / Kyrie / Plumlee super-trio lead us to the title next year we can claim back-to-back titles. You know, becuase there won't be a 2010-2011 champion. Or something.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nerevar said:
Precisely why I'm rooting for Kentucky this year. That way when Rivers / Kyrie / Plumlee super-trio lead us to the title next year we can claim back-to-back titles. You know, becuase there won't be a 2010-2011 champion. Or something.

Why not just root for Butler or VCU? I really hope Butler wins. It won't bother me if UK wins especially if it stays on the up and up, I just don't have a lot of hate for them. I think Calhoun is a great coach and a despicable smarmy person (yes I know everyon feels the same about K) and I just don't like UConn so they're the only team I don't want to win. Kemba seems like a good kid so it won't be a complete waste if they do.

truly101 said:
Why not just root for Butler or VCU? I really hope Butler wins. It won't bother me if UK wins especially if it stays on the up and up, I just don't have a lot of hate for them. I think Calhoun is a great coach and a despicable smarmy person (yes I know everyon feels the same about K) and I just don't like UConn so they're the only team I don't want to win. Kemba seems like a good kid so it won't be a complete waste if they do.

Yeah I'm rooting for Butler. Glad they didn't win last year (goes without saying), but they were just so damn close. Inches.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
lulz, Marshall rejects Rivers at the end. Fun game, Rivers was what I expected, pretty much ditto from Marshall Plumlee though he had some nice plays. Quinn Cook is a godsend. Its nice to see that we're getting a PG with some good talent. He may not be Irving, but we may keep him longer than 11 games as well

truly101 said:
What the fuck was your point again?

Very mature. My point was that despite the seemingly random nature of the tourney, where we often praise these "cinderella stories," the "blue-bloods" seem to win with greater frequency than in the BCS, which is both surprising and interesting. While Kansas, Duke, UNC, and potentially Kentucky will be the most recent champions, teams like Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Michigan have not seen comparable success in at least a decade. Furthermore, I said that "it seems," which is a personal statement that in no way argues factual accuracy of my opinion. "Chicago seems bigger than LA." Some might say that. But, I'm not going to go throw down an encyclopedia at somebody and say "What the fuck was your point again?" On the other hand, I'm not a total-wiener.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
vas_a_morir said:
Very mature. My point was that despite the seemingly random nature of the tourney, where we often praise these "cinderella stories," the "blue-bloods" seem to win with greater frequency than in the BCS, which is both surprising and interesting. While Kansas, Duke, UNC, and potentially Kentucky will be the most recent champions, teams like Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Michigan have not seen comparable success in at least a decade. Furthermore, I said that "it seems," which is a personal statement that in no way argues factual accuracy of my opinion. "Chicago seems bigger than LA." Some might say that. But, I'm not going to go throw down an encyclopedia at somebody and say "What the fuck was your point again?" On the other hand, I'm not a total-wiener.

I'm only 25% wiener. I think the main difference here is that a team like VCU and Butler has more than a theorhetical chance to win the NCAA championship, at this point its two games and if they win thats all they have to do. Not so for "cinderella" teams like Utah, Boise St, TCU, they will not get the opportunity if they lose one game in the regular season, they are out of the conversation.

Duke, UNC, UK, KU etc, are no different than Bama, TOSU, Texas, UF in football. They get the best talent in their respective sports, they play in the high power conferences, they get the media attention, the odds will shake out more often than not that these are the schools that will play for the title.

Sorry for the "fuck" in my response, but its not the first time that somebody had called out the NCAA tourney for determining a champion in comparison to the CFB BCS method and I take a bit of umbrage with that. Both have their flaws, the tourney can be too random and sometimes the absolute best team doesn't win. The BCS system ignores that a team that takes a loss or 2 in September or October can improve to contender status by November or bowl season. Bama had 3 loses last year but they certainly had the ability to beat Auburn or even Oregon. The worst that happens to Duke for blowing a regular season game is they may get a lower seed or they may be sent to a different bracket. The both are what they are, but the mid majors time is coming faster in basketball than it is in football simply because the elite talent in CFB has to stay longer.

EDIT: I also don't know the last CFB Champion that wouldn't be considered a "blue blood" or traditional power. The current system certain favors them more than the NCAA tourney.

DarkWish

My roommate went to the past two VCU games in San Antonio this past weekend, and now he's headed to Houston in the morning for the next few games. I'm definitely pumped up, everyone on campus is buzzing about it, this is the most spirited I've ever seen this school... it's a large campus, but I can seriously feel the school spirit as I walk around just seeing black and yellow everywhere. Can't wait for Saturday!

Another B10 coach on the carousel rumor mill. This time our very own Bruce Weber! Oklahoma are in talks with him and apparently there is mutual interest.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Some people are looking into compensating athletes.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...caa-pay-for-play-final-four_N.htm?csp=usat.me

HOUSTON — The NCAA's new president is adamant that, on his watch, there'll be no straying from college athletics' most time-honored tenet: "It's grossly unacceptable and inappropriate to pay players … converting them from students to employees," Mark Emmert says.

But as the NCAA basketball tournament's Final Four gathers here this week — capping a three-week showcase that generates more than $771 million a year in television rights alone — Emmert acknowledges it's time for a serious discussion about whether and how to spread a little more of the largesse to those doing the playing and sweating.

Proelite

The Wolfpack's coaching search continues.
wolfpackforeveralone3.jpg

final four tickets in hand! and they look sweet, too. they come in a little folio thing...man they are nice. i'll be in section 107 (midcourt) about 25 rows off the court. my sign will say ELOY VARGAS as usual. part of me hopes im opposite the cameras/behind the bench, so ill be on tv more, but part of me hopes to be 'under' the camera and opposite the bench, so that while Eloy sits on the bench, he can see my sign and smile. staying at the team hotel (the hilton) and....yeah! my flight lands at 8:30am tomorrow morning.

FINAL FOUR HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

vas_a_morir said:
What did Coach Cal do at Umass and Memphis? I'm not up on the college basketball scandal scene. A lot of people call him a cheater on this board.

Questionable recruiting things, thats why both his previous final fours he has been have been vacated.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
truly101 said:
King Rice trolled the hell out of Bobby Hurley his freshman year, he always played his best against Hurley. I also remember him being one of the few UNC players booed at the Dean Dome. He was a polarizing guy.
Yea man , he had a great press conference and is bringing a lot to the plate... We shall see what he does with this opportunity. I may help land some players for him, I just can't wait to see what type of offense he brings to the school. He had a pretty bad past at UNC with alcohol and charge for hitting his girlfriend on campus there so I am sure he felt the backlash from that.

Also Danny and Bobby Hurley coach Wagner which is in the same conference, so that should make for some great match ups this season

thefro

PotatoeMasher said:
Bullshit. This is old news. Secondary violations reported to the NCAA long ago. Fox just dragging it up to get hits this weekend.

Read it again, the phone calls to recruits are new... the only thing UK reported was the staffer working out with the player. This guy made who knows how many phone calls to Cousins.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...-staffer-Bilal-Batley-broke-NCAA-rules-040111

But a nearly two-year FOXSports.com investigation revealed that Batley also broke NCAA rules by making repeated impermissible telephone calls while at both Memphis and Kentucky to recruits such as DeMarcus Cousins and their parents.

When approached by a FOXSports.com reporter after his news conference on Friday, Calipari refused to address any questions concerning whether he was aware of Batley's calls and whether or not Kentucky self-reported the violations.

NCAA rules state that all telephone calls made to or received from a recruit, his parents, legal guardians or coaches must be made and received by a team’s head coach or three countable assistant coaches.

According to Memphis and Kentucky, Batley was not a countable coach at either school. NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson declined comment to FOXSports.com on the alleged violations.

But Cousins, a Sacramento Kings rookie forward who played for Kentucky as a freshman last season and then left for the NBA draft, said Batley played a “big role” in him committing first to Memphis. He then followed Calipari to Kentucky shortly after the coach’s hiring in April 2009.

Cousins was the first major recruit that Calipari landed at Kentucky and helped re-establish the Wildcats’ recruiting reputation among the nation’s elite. He said he and his mother, Monique Cousins, talked to Batley on the telephone while he was at Memphis and Kentucky.

“We stayed in contact with him frequently,” DeMarcus Cousins told FOXSports.com.

Oklahoma freshman guard Cameron Clark and Houston point guard L.J. Rose, one of the nation’s top recruits in the Class of 2012, both said they also talked to Batley via telephone and through text messages while he was at Kentucky.

“He talks to my dad a lot,” Rose said shortly after Batley’s resignation. “I talk to him once or twice every two weeks.”

Rose’s AAU coach, Marland Lowe of Houston Hoops, said he and Batley had talked “all the time.”

thefro said:
Read it again, the phone calls to recruits are new... the only thing UK reported was the staffer working out with the player. This guy made who knows how many phone calls to Cousins.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...-staffer-Bilal-Batley-broke-NCAA-rules-040111
https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/53956466629029888

"Last thing on Goodman article. The phone calls are new to the public but aren't new to UK or the NCAA. Don't sweat it and focus on game."

bill0527

vas_a_morir said:
What did Coach Cal do at Umass and Memphis? I'm not up on the college basketball scandal scene. A lot of people call him a cheater on this board.

Cal did nothing at Umass and Memphis. He was completely exonerated by the NCAA in both cases. The schools had to be penalized though and their final fours had to be vacated.

At UMass, one of Calipari's players took money from a sports agent. Calipari is the one who actually reported it to the NCAA when he found out about it.

At Memphis, the NCAA determined that Derrick Rose's SAT score was invalid. The problem is that Memphis played him the entire year and they made the Championship game. The NCAA invalidated Rose's SAT after the season was over, which meant he was ineligible to be playing and competing in all of those games, so Memphis had to vacate the entire season. The Calipari haters seem to have this wild idea that Cal somehow was involved with Rose cheating on his SAT to get into Memphis, but there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to this and in fact, what gets left out in the media is that Rose was not even a Calipari commitment when he took his SAT. What stinks for Memphis in this case is that the NCAA gave the school a heads up before the season that there was a problem with his SAT, but they gave Memphis the OK to go ahead and let him play anyway. Any other school and head coach in America would have done the same thing that Calipari did.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...A-rules-040111

Goodman edited his article. Both Kentucky and the NCAA gave him a no comment on whether the phone calls had been reported so you don't know one way or another whether this is old news or not. I'm guessing that it was in fact reported to the NCAA because this guy was fired 2 months after he got to UK. They aren't going to fire a guy for simply bouncing a basketball to a recruit in a gym somewhere. They may reprimand him and report the violation to the NCAA, but he wouldn't get fired unless more serious allegations were uncovered at the time.

vas_a_morir said:
I've noticed that the NCAA is usually rather forgiving when violations are self-reported, for obvious reasons.
From what I've heard, the compliance staff is crossing every t and dotting every i with Calipari. There are enough reporters trying to dig up dirt that the slightest misstep will be made into a big deal. For that reason I'm not worried.

PotatoeMasher said:
From what I've heard, the compliance staff is crossing every t and dotting every i with Calipari. There are enough reporters trying to dig up dirt that the slightest misstep will be made into a big deal. For that reason I'm not worried.

It's like hoping for a pass interference when your team drops the ball. lolz

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Enough about Cal, already. He cheats. So what? If you're reading this post and you think that the coach of your team does not cheat, I've got some bad news for you. College basketball, and football, for that matter, is not about "Who cheats?" it's about "Who gets caught?".

PotatoeMasher said:
https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/53956466629029888

"Last thing on Goodman article. The phone calls are new to the public but aren't new to UK or the NCAA. Don't sweat it and focus on game."
lol KSR and Matt Jones, the biggest homers of all homers in the nation, seriously if anyone thinks their local sports writers are worse I dare you to compare

also to reiterate Six probations and 211 violations..and counting

Outdoor Miner said:
Nope not a chance. I think you'll come to share that sentiment over the next couple of years.
What makes you feel this way?

Painter started at Purdue a year after Weber started at Illinois. Over the last 5 years, here are the numbers.

NCAA tournament wins:
Illinois: 1
Purdue: 7 (in the round of 32 every single year. What a concept!)

S16 appearances:
Illinois: 0
Purdue: 2

Let's also consider where the two programs were when each coach took over. The Illini were a perennial S16 team, contending for the B10 title every year. Purdue was middle of the pack.

So, uh, why the fuck would you consider Weber a better coach than Painter?

Anyway, in closing, I wish those Weber to Oklahoma rumors had any chance of being true.

chuckddd said:
Enough about Cal, already. He cheats. So what? If you're reading this post and you think that the coach of your team does not cheat, I've got some bad news for you. College basketball, and football, for that matter, is not about "Who cheats?" it's about "Who gets caught?".
This clearly isn't true. I can guarantee you that Illinois isn't paying players to come play for us. (every time we even think about it the NCAA puts us on double-secret probation) We were still pretty damn good in the early 00s. Michigan State is probably squeaky clean too.

There are a number of clean programs. That some are dirty as hell doesn't somehow make it okay or acceptable.

I think VCU can beat Butler, but it will be their hardest since FSU. If they get to the championship and win it (even I doubt this sadly), they would go down as the greatest Cinderalla team/story of all time. People would forget George Mason's run (this supercedes that). Even Shaka Smart's grandfather dying and his wife being with child is making this into a real life Hollywood script.

Win or lose, they already made their mark and are Final 4 region champs. People know who they are, mostly thanks to ESPN fueling their 3 point rage.:)

DarkWish said:
My roommate went to the past two VCU games in San Antonio this past weekend, and now he's headed to Houston in the morning for the next few games. I'm definitely pumped up, everyone on campus is buzzing about it, this is the most spirited I've ever seen this school... it's a large campus, but I can seriously feel the school spirit as I walk around just seeing black and yellow everywhere. Can't wait for Saturday!

That was always my biggest concern about VCU. WHen I left, there was always a lack of school spirit. After the Thursday night parties in the Student Commons, many folks would go home on the weekends and return that Sunday night. It was a semi-commuter school due to being in Richmond, but that was dying down by the time I graduated.

VCU will have to inflate their academic requirements or else they will have a bad student:teacher ratio to keep up with these upcoming freshman bandwagoners!

DarkWish

Shin Dynamo X said:
Even Shaka Smart's grandfather dying and his wife being with child is making this into a real life Hollywood script.
Don't know how true this is, but one of my friends claims Joey Rodriguez is going to become a father as well. I have no way of verifying that though. But yea, all of this does make a great story.

Shin Dynamo X said:
That was always my biggest concern about VCU. WHen I left, there was always a lack of school spirit. After the Thursday night parties in the Student Commons, many folks would go home on the weekends and return that Sunday night. It was a semi-commuter school due to being in Richmond, but that was dying down by the time I graduated.
I've always seen people be spirited at VCU, but it was more like "yea, VCU is a fun place to be, it's cool"... and now it's "OMG GO RAMS! VCU!!! BLACK AND YELLOW!!!" like all over the place. Buses and buildings have signs that say "Go VCU!" Apparently the Dominion Power building had massive lights set up so it spells out "Let's go VCU!" or something like that on the building. The King's Dominion amusement park put up something on their sign. It's everywhere, and it's electrifying. Just seeing black and yellow everywhere and people just excited for where our school is at and the potential to go further is amazing.

I'm a part of a student organization at VCU called the Intercultural Festival and we went around the city to put up flyers. I happened to be wearing a VCU shirt and half the places I went to were like "VCU! Good luck! Sure you can put up a poster". Everyone is in on the spirit, it's the whole city and even people all over the state and country from what I've heard. I even walked into one or two stores when putting up flyers and saw ESPN doing a news story on VCU and they showed our campus and it was just awesome seeing that. There are actually quite a bit of people that don't know what VCU is, especially even in Virginia (heck, I had no clue what VCU was until I started applying to schools and I live in Northern VA). So now, it's great for our school to receive such recognition.

Haha I've rambled on long enough. I'll post more WHEN we win against Butler. I like to think positive, and I've been that way all season. Look where we are now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
chuckddd said:

I wish!

Elfforkusu said:
What makes you feel this way?

Painter started at Purdue a year after Weber started at Illinois. Over the last 5 years, here are the numbers.

NCAA tournament wins:
Illinois: 1
Purdue: 7 (in the round of 32 every single year. What a concept!)

S16 appearances:
Illinois: 0
Purdue: 2

Let's also consider where the two programs were when each coach took over. The Illini were a perennial S16 team, contending for the B10 title every year. Purdue was middle of the pack.

So, uh, why the fuck would you consider Weber a better coach than Painter?

Painter milked the Hummel, Johnson, and Moore class dry and all he got out of it were 2 Sweet 16 runs and an embarrassing 2nd round defeat to VCU this year. His meal ticket is gone, his recruiting the past few years has been pretty shit and the program is trending down big time now that Indiana has fixed their crap. He knows it too and its why he went and flirted with Mizzou and got himself an extension and payraise this year, kind of a now-or-never deal.

As for us, we will have 9 Top 100 players (might be 10, Egwu is really coming into his own) on our roster next year all of them hungry and ready to change the culture and attitude of Illini basketball. In a sense, we are going to get our swagger back. You don't realize how much our mediocre Senior class tied down this program. For the future we are in GREAT shape with some lottery pick type talent in the 2013 and 2014 classes. Can Painter say the same?

I don't see Purdue finishing ahead of Illinois in the next decade. They are entering a period just like the one we are wrapping up where several years of poor recruiting cost us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom