• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalnos

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
I just missed it. What'd he say?

"There were other good teams, Duke, OSU, etc. Now there are only 4 teams left, and they aren't one of them... lets take full advantage of this opportunity"

Something like that, and he sounded monotone and boring the whole time.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I don't mean to fuck up your day, but does Jimmer Fredette kinda remind you of Tim Tebow? He seems way overhyped more for what he represents than his actual accomplishments on the court. Seth Davis is all up on those nuts.

SamuraiX-

Kalnos said:
"There were other good teams, Duke, OSU, etc. Now there are only 4 teams left, and they aren't one of them... lets take full advantage of this opportunity"

Something like that, and he sounded monotone and boring the whole time.

Wtf?

By "they" does he mean his team or Kentucky?

SamuraiX-

esquire said:
I don't mean to fuck up your day, but does Jimmer Fredette kinda remind you of Tim Tebow? He seems way overhyped more for what he represents than his actual accomplishments on the court. Seth Davis is all up on those nuts.

Unless he's drafted by an offensively inept team like the Milwaukee Bucks, he's gonna fall flat on his face in the pros.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Elfforkusu said:
This clearly isn't true. I can guarantee you that Illinois isn't paying players to come play for us. (every time we even think about it the NCAA puts us on double-secret probation) We were still pretty damn good in the early 00s. Michigan State is probably squeaky clean too.

There are a number of clean programs. That some are dirty as hell doesn't somehow make it okay or acceptable.

Paying players isn't the only way to cheat. Although I'm sure there are players getting paid at every B10 school, except for the possible exception of NW. Paying players is the easiest thing to get by the NCAA because the coaches/administration generally don't have first hand knowledge. That doesn't mean they don't know it's going on, however.

Speaking of cheating, Cal v Calhoun!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its not like UConn was exactly under the radar either. They weren't in the preseason top 25 I don't think, but they've been around the top 10 most of the year.

Calhoun is a complete creep and an asshole. I'd much rather Calipari win. Its not like I have to make an ethical choice here.

MightyHealthy said:
Butler or UCONN better win the whole damn thing so I can say at least Louisville beat the eventual national champions :pWhat happened?
Short version: Bad calls, Kentucky won by 3 at home to go to the Final Four.

chuckddd said:
Paying players isn't the only way to cheat. Although I'm sure there are players getting paid at every B10 school, except for the possible exception of NW. Paying players is the easiest thing to get by the NCAA because the coaches/administration generally don't have first hand knowledge. That doesn't mean they don't know it's going on, however.

Speaking of cheating, Cal v Calhoun!
Your certainty is interesting. What's your method to figure which schools do/don't follow the rules?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
Watch Kentucky only hit 25% of their 3s tonight. smh.
Still not through the healing process? Did you see McAdoo play in the McDonalds game? That would help. Kid is going to be nice I hate to say.

Bowser

truly101 said:
Still not through the healing process? Did you see McAdoo play in the McDonalds game? That would help. Kid is going to be nice I hate to say.

Nope. Really felt like we let a great chance at the title slip away this year. If only we could have defended the 3 a bit better...

But yeah, looking forward to J-Mac and PJ next year. PJ was knocking down some bombs, something we sorely need. Hopefully Bullock will be fully healed and find his shot next year as well.

Smokey

There's a massive depth difference when playing in these stadiums versus your normal basketball arena. If you notice most of the shots for both teams are long. The size of the arena behind the goal etc fucks with your perception.

thefro said:
You clearly don't understand basketball. These 2 teams actually play team ball unlike the NBA.

Late to the reply here but oh man, giant LOL. Team ball meaning chucking 3s all game and dreadful shooting percentages?

I understand the tournament is exciting, but please don't call my basketball knowledge out and then try to say this shit is better.

Ickman3400 said:
Late to the reply here but oh man, giant LOL. Team ball meaning chucking 3s all game and dreadful shooting percentages?

I understand the tournament is exciting, but please don't call my basketball knowledge out and then try to say this shit is better.

College is 1 billion times better than what is played in the NBA, you can barely call that shit basketball.

I love it when college basketball fans bash the NBA for its lack of defense and ball hogging-ness and then they get outraged when the "stars" of their league don't get drafted high because they're no defense chuckers who aren't athletic enough to even chuck in the NBA.

bucknuticus said:
College is 1 billion times better than what is played in the NBA, you can barely call that shit basketball.

Kemba Walker dribbling in a circle for 35 seconds before chucking up a 30% look is the definition of basketball, awesome.

DarkWish

Just got back to my apartment... VCU lost :(

Still, having said that... it was the first time in school history we were in the sweet sixteen... first time in the elite eight... and now first time in the final four. We did pretty freaking good and we made a name for ourselves. I'm proud to be a VCU student. I've never seen the city so energized before and that was an amazing thing to see so many people come together to enjoy something and support something they care about. Go VCU!

Smokey

bucknuticus said:

here we go again

how is the college game better than the nba sir since you can barely call the NBA basketball (lolz)?

there are valid reasons one could state but I'd like to read yours...

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I love it when college basketball fans bash the NBA for its lack of defense and ball hogging-ness and then they get outraged when the "stars" of their league don't get drafted high because they're no defense chuckers who aren't athletic enough to even chuck in the NBA.

Seriously, I want these guys to tell me the last NBA champ who couldn't play defense because I don't remember any recently. You see these 50-60 point games in college because they can't fucking shoot, not because the D is so good. Butler shot 35% as a team and won.

Just because final scores in college are halftime-middle 3rd scores in NBA doesn't mean they don't play D. Christ..

edit: and let's see how Jimmer, the un-athletic guy bricking 35 foot 3s all night and college player of the year, fares in the pros. He's another JJ Reddick, who can barely get off the bench on a team that only has 1 good player. Remember Adam Morrison from the same year? Eternal bench player.

DarkWish said:
Just got back to my apartment... VCU lost :(

Still, having said that... it was the first time in school history we were in the sweet sixteen... first time in the elite eight... and now first time in the final four. We did pretty freaking good and we made a name for ourselves. I'm proud to be a VCU student. I've never seen the city so energized before and that was an amazing thing to see so many people come together to enjoy something and support something they care about. Go VCU!
It was fun to watch you guys. Congratulations on the run.

Pollux

jesus christ kentucky can't hit a shot to save their lives...we are in a lot of trouble. harrellson on the bench and uconn can't miss.

lets see if the zone helps....nope.

we need to hit our damn 3's...fucking christ.

Smokey

Ickman3400 said:
Seriously, I want these guys to tell me the last NBA champ who couldn't play defense because I don't remember any recently. You see these 50-60 point games in college because they can't fucking shoot, not because the D is so good. Butler shot 35% as a team and won.

Just because final scores in college are halftime-middle 3rd scores in NBA doesn't mean they don't play D. Christ..

They play defense in the NBA. Anybody who doesn't think so doesn't know basketball.

The difference is just about EVERYBODY at the NBA level can score, with the elite scorers being literally impossible to guard. That is why it "appears" that defense isn't being played in the NBA.

Pollux

whats going on with UK...this is not the same team that beat Ohio State and UNC. The need to stop playing so tentative and hit their shots.

Smokey

zmoney said:
whats going on with UK...this is not the same team that beat Ohio State and UNC. The need to stop playing so tentative and hit their shots.

Different stage.

21 pts at halftime lolz. Game was almost unbearable to watch from a UK standpoint.

SamuraiX-

That felt like a really quick half... yet the scoring is basement level low.

zmoney said:

UConn actually defends the 3-point line.

Plus they missed a few open shots early in the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom