• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe Butler is one win away from a repeat visit to the National Championship game. I mean, it's rare enough for power programs from power conferences to do it. Incredible story.

Outdoor Miner said:
Painter milked the Hummel, Johnson, and Moore class dry and all he got out of it were 2 Sweet 16 runs and an embarrassing 2nd round defeat to VCU this year. His meal ticket is gone, his recruiting the past few years has been pretty shit and the program is trending down big time now that Indiana has fixed their crap. He knows it too and its why he went and flirted with Mizzou and got himself an extension and payraise this year, kind of a now-or-never deal.

As for us, we will have 9 Top 100 players (might be 10, Egwu is really coming into his own) on our roster next year all of them hungry and ready to change the culture and attitude of Illini basketball. In a sense, we are going to get our swagger back. You don't realize how much our mediocre Senior class tied down this program. For the future we are in GREAT shape with some lottery pick type talent in the 2013 and 2014 classes. Can Painter say the same?

I don't see Purdue finishing ahead of Illinois in the next decade. They are entering a period just like the one we are wrapping up where several years of poor recruiting cost us.
Sorry, but I'm sick and tired of this bullshit.

We blamed Carter/Randle/McBride for poor leadership. We blamed Pruitt/Brock for poor leadership. We hated on Chester Frazier, until he turned into a great leader his senior year and led us to the tournament (where, without him, we folded). Now we blame Davis/McCamey/Tisdale for poor leadership?

It's complete nonsense. There's one constant here and it's not the players. When Paul/Richardson/et al are seniors and we're once again middle of the pack in the B1G, are we going to blame them too? If Richmond transfers, will you blame him?

"lottery pick type talent" means squat if you can't motivate those players to consistently work hard and play hard.

Anyway, as for the rest of your post... you could still be right. Maybe Purdue will come back down to earth, and maybe we're in better shape talent-wise going forward. But that has as much to do with the location/reputation of the schools than it does the respective coaches.

As for me... I honestly believe that this last year was the best case scenario under Weber. 4 seniors, 3 of whom played significant minutes as freshmen. Good sophomores who played a lot last year. Talented freshmen to fill out the depth. And we dropped out of the top 25 by the midpoint of the season and won one tournament game.

Pollux

GO BIG BLUE!!! I've been talking to UCONN fans lately up here in Boston and they think they're gonna blow us out b/c of what happened in Maui. We're a completely different team, and we knocked off tOSU and UNC, both of whom are better than UCONN.

Cats by 5

Pollux

kkaabboomm said:
Midcourt, across from the benches, about 25 rows off the court. ELOY VARGAS signs in hand.

This place is massive.

Go CATS!!!!!

How many Cats fans are there compared to the fans from the other teams?

jakncoke

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
Boo this man! Go cats!

if kentucky wins i can't even imagine how much "oh look big east best conference... look at lowly sec knocking them out on route to the championship" from you fans specially seth c

Pollux

jakncoke said:
if kentucky wins i can't even imagine how much "oh look big east best conference... look at lowly sec knocking them out on route to the championship" from you fans specially seth c

lol, but it's true man. y'all had 11 teams...only 1 left. thats terrible. It should be called the Little East...Thank you sir charles.

Seth C

zmoney said:

How many Cats fans are there compared to the fans from the other teams?

Of those wearing school colors, I'd say 50% are Kentucky fans. At the pep rally it wa a slaughtering. UCONN's band didn't even bother to show up, which isn't surprising considering their fans didnt either.

Kalnos

Banned
zmoney said:

We'll see...VCU looks tight right now.

How the hell did we let Mack out of kentucky....(UK fan here.)

Billy Gillespie.

Bigger question is, how did he away from both UK and Louisville.

EDIT: and now VCU raining 3's.

Pollux

Kalnos said:
Billy Gillespie.

Bigger question is, how did he away from both UK and Louisville.

EDIT: and now VCU raining 3's.

hopefully Butler can learn to play some perimeter defense now that VCU is hitting those open looks...and my god rebound lol

EDIT: Skeen is pretty damn good.

Pollux

jakncoke said:
lol racing up and down the court

Butler is falling right into their trap...if they can slow it down, and run a solid halfcourt offense they win...but if they keep trying to play VCU's game they get blown out.

I hope Adam Dunn has a good year. Still one of my favorite players on the planet, I want to see him in a Home Run Derby once before he retires.

I tried watching this but it's so hard to get into when the play is so bad. At the time I turned it off, I think VCU was 4/15 and Butler was 5/15 shooting and they were all gunning 3's. When people ask me why I'm not a big college fan, this is why.

Anyway, go Butler. I don't care too much one way or the other but it would be nice to see them get back and win it once.

jakncoke

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I hope Adam Dunn has a good year. Still one of my favorite players on the planet, I want to see him in a Home Run Derby once before he retires.

vas_a_morir said:
A hit with an impact on the game tantamount to that of an atomic weapon from Alex Rodriguez.

lol

thefro

Ickman3400 said:
I tried watching this but it's so hard to get into when the play is so bad. At the time I turned it off, I think VCU was 4/15 and Butler was 5/15 shooting and they were all gunning 3's. When people ask me why I'm not a big college fan, this is why.

You clearly don't understand basketball. These 2 teams actually play team ball unlike the NBA.

thefro said:
You clearly don't understand basketball. These 2 teams actually play team ball unlike the NBA.
Right, scoring is harder when you aren't allowed to take 4 steps off a single dribble and the defense can play zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom