• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

DD

Edmond Dantès;47121722 said:
It's only a car launch though, much of the 2013 spec is still to be bolted on to the chassis, so it'll look quite different come Melbourne.

Yeah, I know, but I'm tired of that silver + red scheme. =/

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Any pictures? I'm at work, so I can't watch the stream.
WnAlKtq.jpg

C3GsHRP.jpg

BB7z9ktCUAAzr-R.jpg

0468127.jpg

0468128.jpg

DD

yeah livery looks even more dull this year for some reason

Yeah, not a single different detail...

I'm tired of this shit.

Ferrari, which is simply a freakin' red car, add some white details or use a different red tone every year.

So does anyone know a good place (area) to stay for the German GP? I can't find any local hotels and I really don't want to spend hours every day travelling back and forth to the circuit.

Shaneus

Can't see shit because I'm capped... but no white? :(

Is it chrome or silver this year? And are we getting Vodafone red or orange?

Ark

Gotta say, I really like Checo's new helmet design.

Car reveals are such a tease, they'll all look so different at Melbourne in about six weeks.

There's a story on autosport (on my phone, so just imagine there's a link here) about an American/Canadian effort to buyout HRT's entry - cars and resources to boot.

The article claims that they have Bernie's blessing, but expect that the FIA wouldn't grant them an entry before 2014.

If true, this is pretty great news. I really hope they don't try and rush themselves onto the 2013 grid though as surely it's too late to get into a worthwhile state, especially if you're starting with HRT's car as a base.

Here's what I'm wondering: who the heck are the investors?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Scarbs F1 says the McLaren chassis is all new. That nose is stepped but with the vanity panel installed so it looks like last years front nose.

Mastah

According to Brazilian media, Luiz Razia will take second seat at Marussia:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor...-e-fara-sua-estreia-na-formula-1-em-2013.html
http://www.totalrace.com.br/site/no...a-confirmado-como-titular-da-marussia-em-2013

They are almost always spot on with news about Brazilian drivers, so it's a deal done.

Well, for me Marussia can as well don't bother with racing in 2013. 2 average GP2 drivers means 2 poor F1 drivers and I really don't want to watch them trundling around and wasting fuel and car's potential.

Leunam

Edmond Dantès;47122157 said:
Pretty much the same livery that we're so used to, with a few subtle differences.

Indeed. Vanity panel is a nice solution as well, it seems.

Welcome back. Hope you'll be able to join us at the start of the season.

Still weird to change the car that much. They had the fastest car last season and they can't reuse the design philosophy for the next season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Still weird to change the car that much. They had the fastest car last season and they can't reuse the design philosophy for the next season.

Well, they decided to do this and they probably know why they changed suspension system so much - probably due to quite obvious high tire wear

cmr-94

I think it's because the higher chassis gives room for more potential, whilst last years may have peaked halfway through the season

However, agreed it does seem odd, especially due to the overhaul next season

Deadman

The rear wing is quite different to last year. The lotus rear wing is similar to the 2013 mclaren at the top and the 2012 mclaren at the bottom.

8433248814_63f16ed011_o.gif

8431730809_45b6c4afe5_o.gif

Credit: dinkydarko on reddit.

Ark

You guys are comparing this years McLaren nose to the nose they used for the first few races, before they adopted the higher nose.

anx10us

Banned
So does anyone know a good place (area) to stay for the German GP? I can't find any local hotels and I really don't want to spend hours every day travelling back and forth to the circuit.

Try Adenau, specifically "Hotel Am Nordchliefe" but you will need to be very quick, its right next to the Nordschliefe and about 15 minutes from the GP track, the village is in the middle basically. The Hotel is more and Bed and Breakfast, tidy, clean, friendly and cheap.

You need to move very quickly, as the rooms will soon go (if not already)

Everywhere I've checked within 25 miles is already long gone. People must have been booking the rooms before the race was even confirmed.

Very surprised to see the access that McLaren have given to the new car (referring specifically to that Peter Windsor video posted earlier). Of course the 'reveal' spec rarely turns out to match what the bigger teams bring to the first race, but I have a suspicion that McLaren will be making some unusually big changes.

Either that or it really is the case that all the special shit this year isn't outside the car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Front wing or even nose will be different in Jerez, exhausts and RW also... they seem very confident about their car

Di Resta stays in Force India

As much as I like the chrome on the McLaren I think it's time for a change. Hopefully they'll go to white when they get Honda as their engine supplier. :p

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Official reason for radical front and back suspension change is fear, that they would hit development wall of old design before the end of first half of this season.

Tim Goss for Autosport:
We looked at our performance during last season, in the stages where we were laying down the foundations of this car, and looked at where we thought we would get to in terms of our development rate if we just kept continuing with developing the same car," he said. "We realised we actually needed to make a larger step.

"So in defining the architecture of this car, the philosophy was very much to give ourselves the scope to further exploit the area of the cars that we knew would generate performance.

"We understand how to get the most out of these rules, and we demonstrated that last season under these rules with the quickest car at the beginning of the year and the end of the year.

"But, we decided that we need to give ourselves a bit more freedom and, as a result of that, we have reworked the car from front to back. That has allowed us that bit more freedom to push the areas of the car that we know respond."

Top Bottom