• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

KK out for real now. Anxious to see if my fellow Dutchman Giedo will do anything good. Probably not. He will never be as legendary as Jos the Boss anyway.

Dilly

Banned
Fuck Van Der Garde, no talent compensated by being a spoiled 'kid'.

I hope he fails hard together with Chilton and goes aways next year.

Fuck Van Der Garde, no talent compensated by being a spoiled 'kid'.

I hope he fails hard together with Chilton and goes aways next year.

Why do some rookies this year look like real douche bags?

BEbowsC.jpg

D4NNfYd.jpg

oRZIr6I.png

Looking at the OP, it's crazy how many new faces we're going to have this year.

Gutiérrez, Bottas, Van der Garde, Razia, Chilton, Bianchi

If last years car was one of the ugliest Ferraris ever, this one is clearly not. What a beaut. She's got a monster pie hole, but what a beaut.

Staab

Fuck Caterham and fuck Sauber for going for the money grabs.
Kovalainen and Kobayashi, you will be missed =(

DD

Why do some rookies this year look like real douche bags?

BEbowsC.jpg

D4NNfYd.jpg

oRZIr6I.png

Looking at the OP, it's crazy how many new faces we're going to have this year.

Gutiérrez, Bottas, Van der Garde, Razia, Chilton, Bianchi

Nah, Razia is a nice dude. Maybe too nice for the F1.

Mastah

I'm excited to see what Marussia come up with, really hope their link-up with McLaren pays off.

Their drivers will waste any potential of the car. They are at least 1-1.5 second per lap slower than the top drivers, so whatever gains engineers made over the winter, Razia and Chilton won't extract.

cmr-94

Their drivers will waste any potential of the car. They are at least 1-1.5 second per lap slower than the top drivers, so whatever gains engineers made over the winter, Razia and Chilton won't extract.

I think 1-1.5 would be pushing it tbh

Mastah

Fuck Caterham and fuck Sauber for going for the money grabs.
Kovalainen and Kobayashi, you will be missed =(

Sauber replaced Kobayashi with Hulk. Even if someone insists he was replaced by Gutierrez, then how is it any different, when Koba only got his chance due to being part of Toyota program (so like pay driver), after 2 mediocre GP2 seasons with 16th positions in championships? Gutierrez at least won GP3 and then was 13th and 3rd in GP2, so on paper he has much better CV than Kobayashi.

kharma45

Yeah, I thought it was definitely a better looking solution than the weirdly shaped noses from Mercedes or Force India. Same reason I thought the Sauber looked good.

So much so I had it as my wallpaper for ages

Damn forgot about that, I'll miss Glock in a way.

Mastah

I think 1-1.5 would be pushing it tbh

Difference between Kubica and Petrov in 2010 was something like 8 tenths on average, and watching their respective careers I rate Petrov higher than Chilton or Razia.

In more unstable car, such as Marussia, top driver would make even bigger difference, so I see absolutely no reason why Hamilton or Alonso couldn't put gap like 1-1.5 second per lap to such mediocre drivers as Razia or Chilton. Just look at what LH&FA can do at times against Button and Massa, WDC and runner-up. It's not difficult to imagine what they would do in the same car against rookies with very average careers pre-F1.

Leunam

Razia.

I don't think that he's a bad driver. He made some brilliant races on the GP2 last year, and finished in 2nd, only a few points behind Valsechi.

And it should be noted that Valsechi doesn't have a drive this year, not sure if he was even in contention. Don't know if he has a reserve or test role even.

DD

Too nice, like Massa or Barichello?

Hmm, I don't know. I don't think that Massa is a really nice dude (in a charismatic way), and in the last few years I kind of started disliking Barichello. But I like Razia. I don't know, lets wait and see. :)

Difference between Kubica and Petrov in 2010 was something like 8 tenths on average, and watching their respective careers I rate Petrov higher than Chilton or Razia.

In more unstable car, such as Marussia, top driver would make even bigger difference, so I see absolutely no reason why Hamilton or Alonso couldn't put gap like 1-1.5 second per lap to such mediocre drivers as Razia or Chilton. Just look at what LH&FA can do at times against Button and Massa, WDC and runner-up. It's not difficult to imagine what they would do in the same car against rookies with very average careers pre-F1.

Just look at Alonso vs. Piquet Jr a few years back.

And it should be noted that Valsechi doesn't have a drive this year, not sure if he was even in contention. Don't know if he has a reserve or test role even.
He got the third driver role at Lotus.

In more unstable car, such as Marussia, top driver would make even bigger difference

I don't really believe that would generally be the case. Take rain, for example: it has an effect of levelling (or at least, vastly reducing the gap between) various cars' performance by reducing grip levels, which is essentially the kind of of problems you'd find in a Marussia or a Caterham.

In a top of the range, stable car, you'd be giving a top driver everything they need to truly maximise the gains of their talent. If they're that much better than their less-talented team mate, then those are the conditions where it would be most evident I feel.

Dave_6

Just now got around to watching the Mclaren video; that P1 that Jensen drove in is HOT. What a badass looking car.

Shaneus

So yup, just woken up and I still feel the same about the bottom two teams as I did last night. I was a fan of Caterham last year, but this time... fuck em. Was somewhat impressed with Marussia as well, but fuck them too.

At least my Petrov/Kova-autographed Caterham cap might be worth something now!

So yup, just woken up and I still feel the same about the bottom two teams as I did last night. I was a fan of Caterham last year, but this time... fuck em. Was somewhat impressed with Marussia as well, but fuck them too.

Ferrari and Red Bull (particularly the latter) have been the key instigators in preventing proper spending caps in the sport, which is largely why teams like Caterham and Marussia are struggling to compete. They want to stay in the sport, clearly, and sadly this is what they have to do to be able to. Hardly warrants a fucking.

Booked an apartment for Germany. \o/

Now I just need to work out if I risk T4a (half the seats are crap, half are epic) or settle for T4 (not as good, but less risk of crap seats).

dubc35

Booked an apartment for Germany. \o/

Now I just need to work out if I risk T4a (half the seats are crap, half are epic) or settle for T4 (not as good, but less risk of crap seats).

Sweet, congrats! Good news and bad news, more good than bad, for me attending a GP this year. My wife and I were going to go to Toronto to visit her sister and fam then head over to Montreal for the Canadian GP....but my wife will be 9 months pregnant with our first child in June! So that's not going to work, I'll have to catch one some other time.

Sweet, congrats! Good news and bad news, more good than bad, for me attending a GP this year. My wife and I were going to go to Toronto to visit her sister and fam then head over to Montreal for the Canadian GP....but my wife will be 9 months pregnant with our first child in June! So that's not going to work, I'll have to catch one some other time.

Get over there early, have the family take care of her for a few months. ;)

Does anyone, anywhere see him as anything other than an F1 driver? (looking more towards people in the UK, he gets no coverage in the US so I don't know)

Well, I see him as an F1 driver and a bit of a wannabe... does that count? (UK)

I don't know, he always seems to want to be like the big kids, but he's trying way too hard.

Chris R

KK, come to IndyCar! Please :(

Loving some of the paint jobs on the cars this year, even if they don't look as good as I imagined (well they do look better than the ugly nose rule was making me think they would look)>

Top Bottom