• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Official reason for radical front and back suspension change is fear, that they would hit development wall of old design before the end of first half of this season.

Tim Goss for Autosport:

I want Lotus vs Ferrari Vs Mercedes this season. I hope McLaren's decision is the wrong one .. I like the team very much but the drivers lineup is the dullest in any top team in recent history

Hackbert

BCAXZMnCMAA1uzn.jpg:large

Lach

Ok can someone with experience tell me how they managed such a high nose? Is that solely the vanity cover?

Mastah

I'm watching Ferrari launch and I feel like it's 1999. What's the resolution of the stream, 240p :/ ?

acm2000

looks like ferrari forgot to put on its PR body panels on that ferrari, and hide all the holes and flaps, whoops, lotus all but admitted they didnt reveal the full car we will see at the first race, i would assume mclaren too.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ok can someone with experience tell me how they managed such a high nose? Is that solely the vanity cover?

Has to be a vanity panel like McLaren.
Interesting looking brake duct on the rear of the car.

F1technical on the new Ferrari:
The design philosophy of the suspension layout has not changed and it continues to use pull-rods both front and rear, but it has been refined to the limit, in order to gain as much aerodynamic advantage as possible, especially at the rear. The bodywork elements have been redesigned to allow for changes to the positioning and layout of the exhausts. The dynamic air intake, mounted above the cockpit has been redesigned, as have been the intakes to the side pods, which in turn have also been optimised in aerodynamic terms, while maintaining unchanged the overall cooling system.

The rear of the car is much narrower and more tapered on the lower part. The configuration of the front and rear wings derives directly from the last versions used on the F2012, partly because development of that car ran all the way to the final race of last season. However, the aerodynamic elements shown on the car are only those from the initial phase of development: significant modifications will be introduced in the weeks leading up to the first race and a busy development programme is already planned. The drag reduction system on the rear wing has been revised and optimised to make the most of the modifications to the Sporting Regulations that come into play this year. There are detailed changes to the design of the brake ducts, both front and rear and work has been carried out with Brembo on optimising the braking system overall. During both the design and production stages, great attention has been paid to weight reduction and on increasing rigidity.

Hammer24

Banned
S´up guys.
Expecting a very dull year. No one will really invest into these cars, as the main chunk will get invested into the 2014 iterations. The wc could basically be decided by race 5.

jey_16

Banned
The adjustments to the Ferrari livery are great, the white line splitting the red and black is a nice touch. Would have been perfect without the big nose

Staab

haha, Di Resta looked so sad in that shot with the VLM 06, I almost felt compelled to paste in Keanu Reeves as his teammate.

cmr-94

The Ferrari looks brilliant, and seems to have an interesting take on the vanity panel

The Force India looks like last years car with the vanity panel

Di Resta's new lid:

forc-rest-helmet-2013-1-208x117.jpg

DD

Now THESE are gorgeous cars! The Ferrari looks stunning, and Force India is even prettier than last year!

Rumor has it that Geido Van Der Garde will announce at a press conference today that he will be the second driver for Caterham.

Shaneus

Do we still not know who the drivers are for FI yet?

Rumor has it that Geido Van Der Garde will announce at a press conference today that he will be the second driver for Caterham.
Booo. Was hoping Petrov would make it :( Or at least Heikki. Fuck knows what they'll do with two inexperienced drivers. Sure, STR had that last year but at least they have experience in the team itself.

Man, I'm hoping against hope that RBR has a livery similar to their earlier ones:
David_Coulthard_USA_2006.jpg

Really like those lines. Not so hot on the grey slab towards the front, but the lines I like.

PS. Not liking the high noses of the most recent batches of pics, but when the alternative is the stepped nose... I guess it's the best we'll get. But overall that Ferrari livery is sex on wheels.

Ah, yes! Good bye Owen Wilson noses. The new Ferrari is back to it's sexy ways. I can never resist a car in red.

This season can't get started soon enough.

Mastah

As predicted, Giedo Van der Garde confirmed at Caterham. With Pic and van der Garde at Caterham and Chilton and Razia at Marussia, both teams can forget fighting for anything other than last places.

2013 lineup:

Infiniti Red Bull Racing

Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault RS27-2013

Team Principal: Christian Horner / Technical Director: Adrian Newey

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber

Scuderia Ferrari

Ferrari F138 – Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali / Technical Director: Pat Fry

3. Fernando Alonso
4. Felipe Massa

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes