• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Mastah

I don't really believe that would generally be the case. Take rain, for example: it has an effect of levelling (or at least, vastly reducing the gap between) various cars' performance by reducing grip levels, which is essentially the kind of of problems you'd find in a Marussia or a Caterham.

In a top of the range, stable car, you'd be giving a top driver everything they need to truly maximise the gains of their talent. If they're that much better than their less-talented team mate, then those are the conditions where it would be most evident I feel.

Schumacher said in an interview with Auto Motor und Sport that in 90s it was possible to outpace your teammate not by few tenths, but over a second. Why? Because cars weren't glued to the track like today and they weren't so balanced as in his late first and second career. He said back then driver had to correct slides all the time, so there was much bigger opportunity to make a difference behind the wheel than nowadays:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...cht-mit-resultaten-argumentieren-6360876.html

Unstable cars with much less downforce than top teams is perfect description of Marussia and Caterham, so yes, I still think Alonso or Hamilton would absolutely destroy mediocre/average drivers like Chilton, Razia or van der Garde driving in the same shitbox as them. We saw it with 20 years old Alonso pushing Minardi to its limits in 2001, who not only trashed teammates Marques and Yoong, but embarassed many times Arrows, Jaguar, Prost or Benetton drivers.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sauber have gotten rid of the Red Bull exhaust and adopted McLaren style ones.

Crappy pic:
sauber-c32-4-886x497.jpg

Ark

I love the new Sauber, looks fantastic.

When do RBR reveal their car?

EDIT: RBR reveal is tomorrow, not today.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mercedes looks like they will do a website reveal of their car at 4pm today with official launch on Monday.

Legality questions also being raised over the Ferrari rear-suspension design.

kharma45

I really hope Mercedes manage to actually make a sustained challenge to win races this year, they've been so disappointing since they came to the sport.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I really hope Mercedes manage to actually make a sustained challenge to win this year, they've been so disappointing since they came to the sport.
Lewis pretty much wrote off the 2013 season in interviews conducted last year. I think he knows 2013 will a year in the wilderness building up to a genuine title challenge in 2014.

kharma45

Edmond Dantès;47206300 said:
Lewis pretty much wrote off the 2013 season in interviews conducted last year. I think he knows 2013 will a year in the wilderness building up to a genuine title challenge in 2014.

I don't expect them to be title winners but doing what say lotus did last year and at least being on the tail of the top three would be something.

Edmond Dantès;47206300 said:
Lewis pretty much wrote off the 2013 season in interviews conducted last year.
In fairness there's an element of propaganda there too. If he has a fantastic year he can state that he clearly made the difference etc etc... and if he has a shit year then it's down to the car being the bad one based on last year.

I actually really like that nose on the Sauber. The high noses with a vanity panel can look a bit clumsy (roll on low noses!), and I feel that the high ridges they've adopted are a nice compromise.

Not too keen on the wraparound vertical barge board-type dealies, but the lines in the paint job are brills.

In fairness there's an element of propaganda there too. If he has a fantastic year he can state that he clearly made the difference etc etc... and if he has a shit year then it's down to the car being the bad one based on last year.

Quite. You really can't take any comments on performance at face value in F1, be it from teams or drivers. There's always an agenda buried somewhere to either save face or pile on pressure. Same deal with that Schumacher quote posted earlier. Of course he's going to claim that it was harder to stand out back when he was in his prime after he's been regularly spanked by Rosberg for three years.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I quite liked their old livery too, but man is that a good looking F1 car. I literally mouthed "whoa" when I first saw it. Was not expecting that totally different livery at all.

Shaneus

Best looking car among the cars that have been revealed.
Any other year I'd probably agree... but the Ferrari has smashed it out of the park, IMO. Though depending on my mood, I'd probably happily swing b/w the Sauber and the Ferrari.

Hanging to see the STR, though. Absolutely adored the deep bluey-purple with the gold pinstripes. Very unique look and basically a flawless design (save for the godawful Cepsa signage :/).
Rhafqxf.jpg

Sexy.

Pimpwerx

Well, I see him as an F1 driver and a bit of a wannabe... does that count? (UK)

I don't know, he always seems to want to be like the big kids, but he's trying way too hard.
The big kids? Really? Lewis as popular as anyone in the sport, and doesn't copy anyone in personality or style. All you're seeing is Lewis leaving the corporate bubble of McLaren and getting to showcase his personality. PEACE.

Lach

Love the Sauber. I think they keep my support for this year (even after them dropping KK). I think the nose with the "hidden" step looks great.

[edit] btw. for those who watched the stream. The guy presenting the launch is the guy presenting and commentate F1 on swiss tv. He's quite boring and I highly prefer the bbc one.

DD

The big kids? Really? Lewis as popular as anyone in the sport, and doesn't copy anyone in personality or style. All you're seeing is Lewis leaving the corporate bubble of McLaren and getting to showcase his personality. PEACE.

Or the lack of it.

swansonsmile1.gif

I'm talking about rappers and showbiz stars. Of course he's as popular as anyone in F1...

...but that's not what he wants.

Ark

Not really, if it's a great year then the praise goes to the entire team.

Lots of changes have happened at Mercedes, if nothing changed and only Hamilton was the variable then sure, I'd agree, but I couldn't disagree more.

He's being realistic based on the teams past performances.

Not really, if it's a great year then the praise goes to the entire team.

Doubt it. The press would be all about how Hamilton had moulded the team around him and pushed them forward to greater things through his skill at developing the car etc blah blah blah.

Sure, people in the know would probably realise otherwise, but the general public wouldn't. They'd see a shit team brought up to scratch by a superstar.

cmr-94

With the farce that is the Mercedes online reveal this afternoon, they have been kind enough to give us pic in advance

BCHl-JGCUAApBbrjpglarge_zps8ae26bdb.png

With the farce that is the Mercedes online reveal this afternoon, they have been kind enough to give us pic in advance

BCHl-JGCUAApBbrjpglarge_zps8ae26bdb.png

I was never a fan of their livery, but seeing that they fixed the nose made me happy. That was all I needed to know, really.

I hope the guys at Lotus feel silly now.

Ark

Doubt it. The press would be all about how Hamilton had moulded the team around him and pushed them forward to greater things through his skill at developing the car etc blah blah blah.

Sure, people in the know would probably realise otherwise, but the general public wouldn't. They'd see a shit team brought up to scratch by a superstar.

Again I disagree entirely. In the eyes of the public, it's still the team that gave Button a championship.

Top Bottom