• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy that Taylor Fritz qualified. Hopefully he gets a decent draw so he can win a round. Wouldn't surprise me if Jack Sock pulls out of the Open. He has the flu and had to retire in his final against Bautista-Agut today in Auckland. If its the actual flu, he won't be well enough to play

Macleoid

Not if its a Djokovic final which I can't see it not being. I now have no expectation murray won't choke in an AO final to Djokovic, but I can still hope.0

He'll get to he final and be a set and a break up before having to resign because Kim's gone into labour.

Peru

Martina Hingis (with Mirza) has won 29 straight doubles matches. She should give Fed a free olympic gold come Rio.

Martina Hingis (with Mirza) has won 29 straight doubles matches. She should give Fed a free olympic gold come Rio.

If the Olympics is like any other ATP event, he will only be allowed to play 1 singles and 1 doubles event. So he'll have to decide if he wants to play mixed with hingis, or mens with his buddy Wawrinka.

This Troicki/Dmitrov final in Sydney has been a very high level of tennis from both players. Both of these guys will be a force at the Open next week and Federer gets Dmitrov 3rd round

Just... somebody... please.. stop him. Otherwise he's going to keep winning.

I am Stan. Prince of Switzerland and defender of the secrets of my bag full of tennis racquets. This is Federer... my fearless friend. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic tennis racquet and said... By the power of Greyskull, somebody fucking stop Djokovic.

MIMIC

Banned
This Troicki/Dmitrov final in Sydney has been a very high level of tennis from both players. Both of these guys will be a force at the Open next week and Federer gets Dmitrov 3rd round

That match was an absolute mess...but entertaining, nonetheless....all the way down to the championship point.

oti

Banned
She had her fair share of classics. Semi USO 2003 vs Capriate GOAT candidate. Also loved her matches against my fave - a lot of fun to watch vs big hitters.

Henin is my favourite female tennis player ever. After that I'd put Hingis (post-comeback, didn't follow tennis when she was #1) and after that Schnyder (so much wasted talent, such a shame).

Ricker

50/1 for Genie to win? Yeah, why not?

Lost to Cornet in straight sets earlier today over in Hobart.

Not if she plays like in the final yesterday...it sounds like she had family problems before the match though,possible death in the family,maybe one of her grandparents or something...?

There's no rule that a player can only play 2/3 events at the Olympics. Andy Murray played all three in 2012 and Federer has already confirmed he'll play with Hingis in Mixed Doubles.

Final set between Troicki and Dimitrov in the Sydney final was something else. Troicki, of all players, came up with a miraculous backhand pass to seal championship point, after saving a championship point of Dimitrov's with a desperate backhand volley. They both made some tense UEs towards the end, but it was a great watch.

Cornet v Bouchard in the wind at Hobart was a non-event. Genie had no idea what to do, and Cornet knew it.

Some good matches scheduled on day one, including Djokovic/Chung, Kohlschreiber/Nishikori, Tsonga/Baghdatis. Other young guns in action include Coric/Ramos-Vinolas, Edmund/Dzumhur, Thiem/L. Mayer, Nishioka/Cuevas, Rubin/Paire. On the women's side there's Mladenovic/Cibulkova, Vinci/Paszek, Schmeidlova/Kasatkina, Bencic/Riske, Hantuchova/Kuznetsova, Serena/Giorgi.

LuuKyK

Weird that they put Maria in Margaret Court and gave Kvitova Rod Laver.

Last time Maria was not on Main Court she withdrew. :( (at the US Open last year).

I wonder if the same will happen here. Hopefully not.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
darn it, Rafa - get better :p
Rafa is definitely changing things up, attacking a bit more instead of getting into rallies to get into rhythm, finishing points off quicker

He definitely has his work cut out for him this tournament, Verdasco first round and Wawrinka later on but I think he can take both of them

If the Olympics is like any other ATP event, he will only be allowed to play 1 singles and 1 doubles event. So he'll have to decide if he wants to play mixed with hingis, or mens with his buddy Wawrinka.

The only events where it's possible to do all 3 are the slams, which aren't governed by the ATP.

Rafa is definitely changing things up, attacking a bit more instead of getting into rallies to get into rhythm, finishing points off quicker

He definitely has his work cut out for him this tournament, Verdasco first round and Wawrinka later on but I think he can take both of them

oooh this should be awesome, I can't wait :3

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CY3Zjo6WAAEdfY0.jpg

LuuKyK

Wow, people are really confident Predicurenka will take this. lol

I would easily pick Serena over her, I am not even sure she would beat Halep in an eventual semifinal given how much she struggled against her in the USO last year.

My dark horses would be Muguruza (if healthy), Kerber and Maria (if Serena loses before the QFs).

szaromir

Banned
I wonder how much data the AO radio is going to require. I have 2.2GB left for the next week and I would need it roughly 3 hours per day from Monday till Friday.

Peru

Weird that they put Maria in Margaret Court and gave Kvitova Rod Laver.

Last time Maria was not on Main Court she withdrew. :( (at the US Open last year).

I wonder if the same will happen here. Hopefully not.

The fans already in doomsday mode based on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom