• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

Pretty big match-fixing story before the tournament: http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket

It can today be revealed:

Winners of singles and doubles titles at Grand Slam tournaments are among the core group of 16 players who have repeatedly been reported for losing games when highly suspicious bets have been placed against them.

One top-50 player competing in the Australian Open is suspected of repeatedly fixing his first set.

Players are being targeted in hotel rooms at major tournaments and offered $50,000 or more per fix by corrupt gamblers.

Gambling syndicates in Russia and Italy have made hundreds of thousands of pounds placing highly suspicious bets on scores of matches – including at Wimbledon and the French Open.

The names of more than 70 players appear on nine leaked lists of suspected fixers who have been flagged up to the tennis authorities over the past decade without being sanctioned.

Cool, I never really dabble into the Off Topic world of GAF, but was assuming there'd be an AusOpen thread to jump into. Nice to meet you all.

I actually follow the women's circuit far more than the men's, but love tennis in general. I'm a huge Aga Radwanska fan, and really hoping that this will be the year she'll get her first Slam. She's in a tough half of the draw, so is gonna be difficult to even reach the final, but really hoping for her. Otherwise, I'm hoping Kvitova gets there in Aga's half, with Halep from the other side. I think with the injuries and lack of match practice the likes of Pova and Serena have had, this is the best chance the others have got at Oz. Azarenka and Kerber are on form, too, so any one of them could also make it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Cool, I never really dabble into the Off Topic world of GAF, but was assuming there'd be an AusOpen thread to jump into. Nice to meet you all.

I actually follow the women's circuit far more than the men's, but love tennis in general. I'm a huge Aga Radwanska fan, and really hoping that this will be the year she'll get her first Slam. She's in a tough half of the draw, so is gonna be difficult to even reach the final, but really hoping for her. Otherwise, I'm hoping Kvitova gets there in Aga's half, with Halep from the other side. I think with the injuries and lack of match practice the likes of Pova and Serena have had, this is the best chance the others have got at Oz. Azarenka and Kerber are on form, too, so any one of them could also make it.

Always nice to have another Radwanska fan around. There's also the general tennis thread for the non-major events.

Serena takes the first set against Giorgi. Her form isn't great right now but she got through that first set only being broken once. She broke Giorgi twice.

Welcome. While I'm also a massive Aga fan, I follow the men's and women's circuits more or less equally. Aga has a big chance to go deep here since she dodged Azarenka and Sharapova in R4 and the QFs, though she may well get knocked out by Bouchard or Stosur. Her serve will be key.

Thoughts from matches I've seen so far:

- Nishikori was cintillating against Kohli. Rarely seen him attack the net as effectively as he did today. His forehand was killer with sharp angles cross-court. Kohli gave it a good shot, but the form Nishi was in left him no chance.

- Gasparyan is one tough fighter, and proved it against Errani, securing one of the biggest wins of her career by toughing her way through a ton of long games and rallies in the second set only for her opponent to fall apart (presumably injured/suffering from heat too).

- Serena served well, which was key to her win. Giorgi hit several outrageous shots and more than held her own from the baseline... now if only she had a tennis brain, and knew what to do with short balls, or when not to go big on the 2nd serve. Not sure about how comfortable Serena was; very hard to tell against a player as gung ho as Giorgi.

If Darya Kasatkina can finish off Schmeidlova (up a set and 3-0), she'll win me a nice chunk of change. Got her as a moderate outsider and stuck £20 on her immediately after the draw came out. Guess whoever was compiling the odds hadn't watched Schmeidlova's last couple of matches.

- Stephens knocked out by Wang. Saw Wang play Radwanska in Shenzhen and thought she was playing some good stuff. Hit hard and flat and didn't give up when the chips were down. She was pretty clutch in the last couple of games I saw there, piling in the deep returns, though Stephens was coughing up cheap UEs.

MIMIC

Banned
Chung is really good (which is obviously why he was chosen as "Most Improved" of 2015). He hung really well with Djokovic there. He has really good anticipation and defense. He's just outmatched today.

Also, he won just as many games in the first set as Nadal did all match last week @_@

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice win for Aga. She'll have a tricky second round either way seems like.

Nice effort from Chung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom