• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Democratic National Primary Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnawtyDog

Banned
O'Malley should stop smiling more. One of the things he needs to improve if he wants a chance after Hillary becomes President. Dude looks a like a clown at times. Just settle down and find the middle.

VRMN

$12, lol

You can barely live on $15 in a lot of places.

Yes, but in many other places $12 is indeed workable. I honestly think this is something that states need to have room to be above the federal standard and that $12 is a good baseline to grow from.

And yeah, we need to index the minimum wage and solve this issue once and for all.

Makai

we should stop taking advice from wallstreet and start taking advice. and start taking advice. and star taking advice

Because the spread between the highest bracket now (40%) and 90% is way too wide.

Are you being purposely difficult?
it being that wide is the entire problem. We're so far from where we should be that we need to take some big leaps.

Half measures are fine, but they won't fix things. Bernie's not talking about half measures.

lol

"we're gonna talk about wall street but first commercials an shit"

perfect

giphy.gif

kirblar

And in those places, the minimum can be higher.
Yup, this is why we let states raise it higher than the national minimum.

The national is a baseline.

Areas with low cost of living would have enormous issues if their min wage suddenly doubled. (And a 3-year "phase-in" is not slow at all.)

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not sure why O'Malley is in this.

I guess it's okay to have him there, but for Hillary it must be annoying to be polling at like 55 and have to stand on an equal stage with someone who's polling at 4% and listen to him challenge you.

I don't get why the minimum wage has to be a continual issue. If the damn minimum is indexed to inflation/cost of living, as its always brought up, why do we keep needing to revisit it?

params7

Banned
I'm not sure why O'Malley is in this.

I guess it's okay to have him there, but for Hillary it must be annoying to be polling at like 55 and have to stand on an equal stage with someone who's polling at 4% and listen to him challenge you.

Its not bad to see the potential leader challenged by someone competitive.

Sianos

There's a very real difference between Sanders and Clinton on the minimum wage.
yeah, but it's within the same paradigm and based on the same reality - something i think the people criticizing the three candidates for "copying" each other for having reasonably similar plans have forgotten is supposed to be the norm after the insanity of some recent debates

Shouta

A lot of former governors will talk about their experience in their states. It makes sense actually. It just seems folks never really take it seriously for presidential races despite the fact actually working in a system like that would help a lot while being president IMO, lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I think I agree with Hillary there. $15 is too much for some rural states. $12 minimum is pretty good and states can always choose to go higher like in California, Washington, New York... etc. Nobody stopping those states from raising their individual state minimum wage above the federal level. The federal one is to drag those rural red states up to a proper standard.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
it being that wide is the entire problem. We're so far from where we should be that we need to take some big leaps.

Half measures are fine, but they won't fix things. Bernie's not talking about half measures.
...What are you even saying anymore? I'm looking for concrete answers on what Bernie's tax bracket would look like, not taglines.

A lot of former governors will talk about their experience in their states. It makes sense actually. It just seems folks never really take it seriously for presidential races despite the fact actually working in a system like that would help a lot while being president IMO, lol
That's a recent phenomenon. It used to count for more.

All this misering over the minimum is going to look quaint if(when) things escalate to the point where it needs to be dealing with Guaranteed Basic Income and whatnot---it is as if folks believe "everybody" is just a few notches removed from magically transforming into the old Cadillac Welfare Queen phony caricature.

mackaveli

I think I agree with Hillary there. $15 is too much for some rural states. $12 minimum is pretty good and states can always choose to go higher like in California, Washington, New York... etc. Nobody stopping those states from raising their individual state minimum wage above the federal level. The federal one is to drag those rural red states up to a proper standard.

Exactly. Don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom